Jets \ Bills Game Plan: MERGED

Maxman

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Jackson's SPARQ score was 83.31
Allen's SPARQ score was 96.7

Jackson averaged 4.7 yards rushing last year
Allen averaged 7.1 yards rushing last year

As far as arm alone, it should be undisputed that Allen's is superior.

I'm not saying Jackson isn't an elite athlete. He obviously is. But the notion that he's a superior overall athlete to Josh Allen is not necessarily correct, in my opinion.

I get the argument that Allen is a better athletic QB prospect, but not the better athlete.  Where did you get those numbers?  Jackson didn't run or jump, so I can't see how anybody could reliably come up with a number.  Their rushing yards in 2018 are not proof of much, Jackson was running designed plays, while Allen was taking off as plays broke down.  Jackson had more total yards in considerably less starts and less snaps.  

They still have two preseason games left, but as I look at the schedule I realize the Jets HAVE TO win the opener. It is a division opponent and the Jets are 3.5 point favorite.
No Chris Herndon so Gase will be creative with the receivers. Not sure what kind of workload Bell will have week one, maybe 12 carries, 4 receptions?
No cornerbacks so Gregg Williams will have to be creative as well. The league seemed surprised at how much Josh Allen ran last year so they will be ready for that.
The Jets OLine should be pretty healthy so that is a plus....
Anyhow, what will the game plan be to beat the Bills? (other than control the line of scrimmage and avoid turnovers lol).

The interesting thing with our CB situation is that after all of the fear and crying about our need for Corners, we are going to go into this game with our top 3 of trumaine, Poole and Roberts. Not revis/cromartie but that’s not too bad when you add Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye to the backfield. I’m happy with it.

Play press on Beasley and Brown and take away the quick shorts so our DL can get to Allen. If he runs let Mosely crush him. Aggressive D all day with a young and confusable and inaccurate QB. Their OL is completely revamped and I like what they’ve done but there are injuries and confusion there. We can take advantage I think. Leo and QW big pressure up the middle.

On offense the first thing is I would love to see some variation of the up tempo or no huddle offense to keep the very good buffalo D unsettled. I would set up a few plays where ED Oliver is allowed some penetration so a pulling G or Wesco can crack back and ear hole him a few times to welcome him to the NFL. Knocking him off his game should be an early part of our offensive game plan. Make him think in there. Tell KO it’s his job to make that guy regret being in there.
Lots of 21 formations with bell and Montgomery too.

I want to see effective aggression all day after the JN tailgater so we can leave that stadium feeling mean!!

Darnold- 24-30/305- 2tds

Jets 35

Bills 13

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the argument that Allen is a better athletic QB prospect, but not the better athlete.  Where did you get those numbers?  Jackson didn't run or jump, so I can't see how anybody could reliably come up with a number.  Their rushing yards in 2018 are not proof of much, Jackson was running designed plays, while Allen was taking off as plays broke down.  Jackson had more total yards in considerably less starts and less snaps.  

Well if we're going with the "Allen had his yards on scrambles, whereas Jackson had his on designed runs" angle, then we can't ALSO turn around and say that Jackson had more total yards. Right, Jackson had more yards possibly BECAUSE of the fact that he ran so many designed runs and was in a Greg Roman offense. I will concede that comparing rushing averages straight up is not a great metric for overall athleticism, as there are too many other variables to account for.

SPARQ numbers, however, seem to be as good of an overall metric as we have for measuring football players' athleticism. As for the SPARQ numbers themselves, I got them from ESPN's website. Or just Google "Lamar Jackson SPARQ" and "Josh Allen SPARQ" and you should see the same results across multiple websites.

Allen is an underrated athlete. Last year, he was spied by players like Kiko Alonso and Telvin Smith -- not exactly slow for the linebacker position -- and he ran right by him. Time and again, defenders underestimated his speed/athleticism and he either ran past them or juked them out of their shoes. He HURDLED Anthony freaking Barr. If you don't believe me, watch his rushing highlights from last year, provided below. Pay particular attention to him straight up outrunning the Jaguars and Dolphins defenses (LBs, CBs, the whole deal). Jackson is a superb athlete, but I submit that Allen is a better one.

18 hours ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Fun fact: Josh Allen produced as many touchdowns as a rookie as Sam Darnold did, but in two less games. Allen also threw less interceptions than Darnold.

I like Sam Darnold a lot and think he'll be great in the NFL for a long time. I'm not here to tell you that Allen is better than Darnold, either. However, I DO think Allen is gonna make lots of people eat their words this year. 

I guess we'll all see firsthand in a few weeks, when the bullets start flying for real.

Allen is a better rusher, but Darnold is a better passer. 

Given the position we are talking about, I feel good about having Darnold.

Nothing against Allen. I think he has a chance to be really good and i think the 2018 QB class has a chance to be the best one since at least 04 (and possibly 83)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

I DO believe that the notion that a raw, rookie QB who only played in 11 games is somehow just NEVER going to improve is a foolish one. Are you also assuming Darnold won't improve? Why is it that you presume second year improvement from your guy, but presume it won't happen for the Bills' guy?

Because there’s no modern precedent for a quarterback with Allen’s collegiate statistical profile succeeding in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

You are spot on, after watching this whole video this kid is super athletic and can run the ball with good vision. I was worried before watching this video due to him torching us last year with his running ability.  You can find those highlights in this video from 1:54 - 2:39.

Some points on what I saw from him against us : 

• Multiple times you find our DL trying to arm tackle him down (Leo maybe 3 times). He is to athletic and it is important to stay in your gaps, any room and this guy is breaking 10 yards. 
  • Jordan Jenkins and Hewitt will have trouble keeping up with him, as displayed in this video from last year.  

With that being said, I did see him running the ball with one hand almost every other play. I am hoping GW exposes this and someone just punches the sh*t out of his arm on one of these runs. There is also a lot of film of him running and it should be more difficult for him to break these big gains like last year. But most of these runs are coming from broken plays where he just takes off, its hard to game plan for that.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

SPARQ numbers, however, seem to be as good of an overall metric as we have for measuring football players' athleticism. As for the SPARQ numbers themselves, I got them from ESPN's website. Or just Google "Lamar Jackson SPARQ" and "Josh Allen SPARQ" and you should see the same results across multiple websites.

ESPN's website, like ESPN, is full of sh*t.  The numbers you are talking about are from high school, and I am pretty sure that they are inaccurate as ****.  Allen is a great athlete.  I don't deny that, but anything trying to attribute a SPARQ number to Lamar Jackson when he didn't run or jump is a load of sh*t.  I don't believe it is in question that Jackson is the better athlete, but whatever.  

My point about the rushing numbers wasn't that Jackson's show he was a better athlete, it was that athleticism isn't proven by rushing numbers - raw numbers or ypc.  The site I get SPARQ numbers from had Allen 4th.  Jackson is at the bottom, incomplete.

2 hours ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

Good post. I don't disagree with anything you said.

Allen DOES have a long way to go. However, I do happen to think he was VASTLY overly criticized by analytics Twitter and hipster draft analysts who only saw a tall guy with a big arm. I get it. I really do. Lots of guys with the "tall, big arm, questionable accuracy" profile have failed over the years. I think the piling on got to be so outrageous, though, that a lot of analysts missed some of the great qualities that he does possess, like running the football. Yes, he needs to learn to stay in the pocket and be a true quarterback more often. Hopefully, with the improvements to the o-line and receiving corps and as he grows more comfortable, he will do just that. But to discount the threat that he presents with his running ability is to do him an unfair disservice. At one point last year, he rushed for more yards over a three-game stretch than any QB in the history of the NFL. He was a QB kneel at the end of a game (minus 2 yards) away from having three straight 100-yard rushing games. Because of the rampant "hahaha Josh Allen stinks" culture on Twitter, it was ignored. He also had the second most 25+ yard runs of ANY player in the NFL! That's not just "he got lucky" stuff, that's serious running ability. He DID improve as the year went on, too. In the last game of the season, he threw for 3 touchdowns and ran for two more. You can discount the idea of the words "produced TDs" if you wish, but any time a QB accounts for five scores in one game -- especially with as piss poor a supporting cast as Allen had last year -- it's a good day.

Anyway, like I said to previous posters: We'll find out for sure soon enough. I'd currently rank Allen behind Mayfield and Darnold in terms of his progression and his current effectiveness as a quarterback. HOWEVER, I feel that he has a higher ceiling than either of them due to his athletic ability. There's no guarantee he ever reaches that ceiling, but Bills fans have seen enough encouraging signs between the second half of last year, the offseason, and the preseason thus far to think that Allen's floor is much higher than analytics Twitter would have us believe. Here's a great article on exactly what I'm talking about, written by a guy who once called Allen "A parody of an NFL quarterback prospect":

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2850542-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-starting-to-prove-doubters-and-haters-wrong.amp.html

I'll tell you what, I'd be excited about Allen's running ability, too. I don't discount it. If I'm playing against Allen, it's his running ability that I'd be the most concerned about. I get that he's a big, strong kid, but it's just not sustainable to consistently run like that as a QB. I wouldn't want to see my QB hurdling defenders or failing to slide as often as he does. It would scare me to death as a fan. As you said, he has to develop as a passer. That's where the analytics guys chime in. Can a kid who was a 56% passer in college develop into an accurate QB in the pros? That's the $21M question. 

Good luck to him. No matter what, it looks like we have a little better QB rivalry than EJ Manuel vs. Geno Smith this time around. :) 

• Upvote 2

This quote from nfl.com about last night's game was interesting:

One week after building a mind-meld with Cole Beasley, Josh Allen didn't get into quite the same rhythm in Detroit. In six drives, the second-year gunslinger showcased his best and worst tendencies, completing just three passes on six attempts for 49 yards. One first-quarter play Thursday night was a pure distillation of the J. Allen Experience. On a second-and-short from Buffalo's 25, Allen escaped pressure out to his right, moving with confidence in and out of the pocket per usual. But the QB then inexplicably threw back across his body into the middle of the field when Jalen Reeves-Maybin was waiting. A pick right out of his rookie tape...that is if he wasn't bailed out by a questionable roughing the passer call. 

This is exactly what I'm hoping to see.  Flush him out to the right, cover that side well enough that he tries the hero throw to his left.  Let the fun ensue.  He'll make some plays but you only need one turnover to erase any gains they made prior.  There's a reason he threw more INTs than TDs last year.  

After the cuts to 53 I think position by position here is how I rate the teams

QB - Jets

Jets have better starter, Bills better back-up

RB - Even

Jets have Bell and Montgomery, Bills have McCoy, Gore & Singletary

WR - Bills by a nod

Brown = Anderson, Beasley > Crowder, Quincy E = Jay Jones, Bills have better 4 & 5

TE - Even

Jets would be better if Herndon were playing, Bills TE are rookies with talent but no experience

OL - Bills big edge

Bills have better starters and more depth.

DL - Even

Two excellent lines, different schemes, Bills 4-3 with depth, Jets 3-4, meh depth but better starters

LB - Bills

Edmunds = Mosley except better in coverage, rest of Bills > Jets primarily due to Jet injuries

Secondary - Bills

Superior CB and excellent S for Bills > Jets S strength

ST - Bills

Thank you Jets for giving Bills Andre Roberts and PK for Bills is excellent,  think Bills punter is still to be signed.

Looking for some feedback

• Thumb Down 2

13 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

QB - Jets

RB - Even

WR - Bills by a nod

Brown = Anderson, Beasley > Crowder, Quincy E = Jay Jones, Bills have better 4 & 5

TE - Even

Jets would be better if Herndon were playing, Bills TE are rookies with talent but no experience

OL - Bills big edge

DL - Even

Two excellent lines, different schemes, Bills 4-3 with depth, Jets 3-4, meh depth but better starters

LB - Bills

Edmunds = Mosley except better in coverage, rest of Bills > Jets primarily due to Jet injuries

Secondary - Bills

ST - Bills

Thank you Jets for giving Bills Andre Roberts and PK for Bills is excellent,  think Bills punter is still to be signed.

Pretty fair assessment.  I could argue a couple of points, but this is a solid comp. 

Welcome. Don't be a troll. LOL. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

LB - Bills

CJ Mosley is an All Pro/Pro Bowler. Not sure a second year LBer who had a decent rookie season is equal to CJ Mosley.

Secondary - Bills

Jamal Adams is the #1 SS in this league. You clearly have us beat at CB though.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

CJ Mosley is an All Pro/Pro Bowler. Not sure a second year LBer who had a decent rookie season is equal to CJ Mosley.

Jamal Adams is the #1 SS in this league. You clearly have us beat at CB though.

Honestly I think Derwin James is the best SS in the NFL but he’s out till mid season.  Yes, Adams is awesome

QB - Jets

RB - Even

WR - Bills by a nod

TE - Even

OL - Bills big edge

DL - Even

LB - Bills

Secondary - Bills

ST - Bills

So outside of Darnold having the edge over Allen the Bills should run away with this one from your notes here.  Interesting stuff.  

Good thing it's the most important position on the field I suppose. 

I'm not sure how you took Edmunds 40 something tackles and equated him to a 3x Probowler but whatevs. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Billsfan64 said:

Honestly I think Derwin James is the best SS in the NFL but he’s out till mid season.  Yes, Adams is awesome

Edmunds has made huge strides in the off season, training camp and in preseason.  Making correct reads now, Mosley was Pro Bowl and Edmunds is future Pro Bowler, hard to beat 6’5”, 253, runs a 4.54 and has great reach and jumping ability.

Wait till you see this guy on 9/8

• WTF? 1

I think if we ignored QB, Bills are a slightly deeper roster, with less glaring weak points on D than the Jets.

But Darnold is better than Josh Allen (though Allen is no slouch) and that counts for a lot in this NFL.  Also, the Jets are at home and the Bills have no tape of last year to watch of this system.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Andre Roberts had a great year with the Jets. The Jets were okay just letting him walk. Let's see Andre Roberts do it somewhere else before we say he alone is a difference maker. The Jets are going with the plug and play approach on special teams. They took Roberts and Myers last year when nobody wanted them and sent them both to the pro bowl.

Andre Roberts is 31 years old, let's not make him out to be a young Devin Hester.

image.png

34 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m what world are grandpas McCoy and Gore plus a rookie even with Bell and Montgomery?

Nobody knows what Bell is after a year off and in a different system.  Let’s see how the grandpa backfield does opening day.

Quick question, whose offensive line in your opinion is better, Bills or Jets and why?

4 minutes ago, Billsfan64 said:

Nobody knows what Bell is after a year off and in a different system.  Let’s see how the grandpa backfield does opening day.

Quick question, whose offensive line in your opinion is better, Bills or Jets and why?

The Bills line is better because the Jets former GM was a ******* idiot but that’s not going to make your backfield better. Bell is Bell and is well rested. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Jets have better RBs by a mile... Bell is a HOF back in his prime, the bills RBs are in the twilight of their careers (and were never as good as Bell...)

Jets are Better at QB, RB, WR, and TE

I think the OL are both average. 

DL - draw

LB - draw 

CBs - bills

S - Jets

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Jets have better RBs by a mile... Bell is a HOF back in his prime, the bills RBs are in the twilight of their careers (and were never as good as Bell...)

Jets are Better at QB, RB, WR, and TE

I think the OL are both average. 

DL - draw

LB - draw 

CBs - bills

S - Jets

Who is the Jets TE on opening day, oh sorry, Herndon is suspended, so that’s a draw, QB in favor of the Jets, what makes the Jets WR group better then the Bills?  I’m guessing you might prefer the Bills OT positions a bit more then the green clad turnstiles you’ll be starting opening day.  I think the interior line is equal.  DL is equal, who will be better opening day, Williams or Oliver.  Mosley and who is playing LB for the Jets, your coach lost one LB by pure stupidity, outside LB another PED suspension. Bills secondary much better all the way across.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan64 said:

QB - Jets

RB - Even

WR - Bills by a nod

TE - Even

OL - Bills big edge

DL - Even

LB - Bills

Secondary - Bills

ST - Bills

How about go to bills nation. Look I mean, what the hell is this. Literally you just wrote a bunch of words about how the bills are better which they are not.

Your post is laughable