What style of football do find the most enjoyable

Obviously today’s game is geared toward the pass.  And obviously you want your team to play the style that matches the talent of the team.  However I’m wondering what style of football do you enjoy the most to watch as a fan?  

To me, I love the style that Rex talked about playing   The old schooll, smash-mouth ground-and-pound offense and a physical/dominant defense.   Ideally with a solid passing game mixed in.   Think the mid-1980’s Giants and recent era Ravens. 

I know that style wouldn’t win in today’s  game btw so I’m not advocating that we play that way.  Again, I’m just saying I find that style the most enjoyable to watch. 

What say you?

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

The jets have had a top 5 running game a few times in the league. 

Never have they ever had a top 5 passing team outside the Namath years. 

Id image Leading the league in passing would be more fun. 

I’ll let you know when I see it for the first time!!

Mid-late 90s Nebraska and Paul Johnson era Naval Academy are two teams that stick out in my head.  Nothing more exciting than a QB pitching the ball right before he gets laid out.  As far as the NFL goes - I enjoyed watching the WCO develop into its prime - Walsh, Holmgren, Shannahan, etc.  I like the RPO when it's done right.  i.e. - Nick Foles in the Super Bowl.  

• Upvote 1

It’s funny. A much older family member swears “they don’t play it like they used to” and bemoans the lack of defense and “all the kids today love the dazzle dazzle and 50-45 games.”

He’s also the first to complain that a Thanksgiving game is “boring” if it ends 7-3...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It’s funny. A much older family member swears “they don’t play it like they used to” and bemoans the lack of defense and “all the kids today love the dazzle dazzle and 50-45 games.”

He’s also the first to complain that a Thanksgiving game is “boring” if it ends 7-3...

I like defensive battles but the Pats-Rams 13-3 Super Bowl was boring to me.  There are some defensive games that are a lot more intense than others.  I still think the most fun game though is when the defense hammers the crap out of the opposing offense. 

• Upvote 1

Jets fans have been conditioned to prefer the defensive oriented, run oriented scheme. You still see many posters that want defensive pieces before even helping Darnold. I like balance. I think you should be able to score early with the pass, but run with the lead and in the red zone. I greatly prefer up tempo and no huddle offense as the rule not the exception as I think the NFL as a whole still does not handle that well. I believe that the DL is overrated in importance and OL underrated. I think that WRs are more valuable than pass rushers UNLESS you are truly elite and there are very very few of those. I think interceptions are overrated too. It's better to not throw them, but a gunslinger that throws lots of TDs and INTs like a Favre will beat the low TD low interception guys like Alex Smith 8 out of 10.

I do not like the Rex/Williams style of blitzing defense. I really dont think they are that effective any more. I think zone oriented defenses stout in the red zone are more effective on a consistent basis than man blitzing types.

I think you should pass on first down 60% of the time. I think teams should almost NEVER punt from the opponents 45 yard line unless its 4th and forever, or you are up by 2 or more scores.

So I prefer an up tempo no huddle type of offense that can run against the 6 man fronts it creates and plays more of a zone oriented defense (not necessarily Tampa 2)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Jets fans have been conditioned to prefer the defensive oriented, run oriented scheme. You still see many posters that want defensive pieces before even helping Darnold. I like balance. I think you should be able to score early with the pass, but run with the lead and in the red zone. I greatly prefer up tempo and no huddle offense as the rule not the exception as I think the NFL as a whole still does not handle that well. I believe that the DL is overrated in importance and OL underrated. I think that WRs are more valuable than pass rushers UNLESS you are truly elite and there are very very few of those. I think interceptions are overrated too. It's better to not throw them, but a gunslinger that throws lots of TDs and INTs like a Favre will beat the low TD low interception guys like Alex Smith 8 out of 10.

I do not like the Rex/Williams style of blitzing defense. I really dont think they are that effective any more. I think zone oriented defenses stout in the red zone are more effective on a consistent basis than man blitzing types.

I think you should pass on first down 60% of the time. I think teams should almost NEVER punt from the opponents 45 yard line unless its 4th and forever, or you are up by 2 or more scores.

So I prefer an up tempo no huddle type of offense that can run against the 6 man fronts it creates and plays more of a zone oriented defense (not necessarily Tampa 2)

I have a theory on this.  Since you're "JohnnySD", I'm guessing you're a west coaster.  My theory is that people in warm weather areas prefer offense while people from the East Coast (the colder parts) prefer defense and smash mouth football.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have a theory on this.  Since you're "JohnnySD", I'm guessing you're a west coaster.  My theory is that people in warm weather areas prefer offense while people from the East Coast (the colder parts) prefer defense and smash mouth football.  

I live in San Diego yes, but I was born and live in NY for 24 years.