CARLI LLOYD............kicker?

By Brian Fonseca | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Carli Lloyd thinks she can be an NFL kicker.

Two teams believe the United States women’s soccer team forward can as well.

James Galantis, Lloyd’s personal coach, told ‘Home and Home’ I can tell you there are two NFL teams who are “very strongly interested” in signing Lloyd to kick for them in Thursday night’s final preseason game. He chose not to disclose the names of the team.

The list of teams showing legitimate interest doubled overnight.

Galantis told Fox Sports on Monday there was one team among the multiple showing interest who extended an offer to Lloyd to kick on Thursday night. Lloyd was “genuinely interested” but could not accept — the USWNT faces Portugal in a Victory Tour friendly on Thursday night, causing a time conflict.

“They were willing to put her on the roster,” Galantis told Fox Sports.

Lloyd believes she’d be capable of performing under the lights.

“I know that I could actually probably do it,” she told NBC Sports’ Peter King. “Put on the helmet, strap on the pads, go for it. The mindset I have, I think with practice, I know I have to work on my steps and my technique, but I think I could do it and do it well. It could be a huge pivotal moment. There is no reason why a woman could not do this. And I actually invite the pressure. I love the pressure. When I have to nail something—shooting hoops, ax-throwing, kicking a field goal—that is the moment I live for and want.”

The move would be great PR for both sides if it were to happen.

Lloyd would grow her brand as the first female to kick a field goal/extra point in an NFL game, while the team that signed her would be a progressive pioneer in a conservative league.

At this point, it seems like the match won’t happen — at least not this year. Thursday is the final preseason game for every NFL team, and it is highly doubtful any franchise would let Lloyd kick in a regular season game when stakes are high and things actually matter.

For those out of the loop on why Lloyd is receiving inquiries from NFL teams, the Rutgers grad and USWNT star nailed a 55-yard field goal after a Philadelphia Eagles training camp practice last week.

She received praise from across the league, from a Hall of Fame NFL scout to a former Pro Bowl kicker, but Lloyd’s biggest takeaway is the potential impact she can have.

“Oh, that would be massive. Pretty massive,” Lloyd told King when he asked what it would mean for an 8-year old girl in America to see Lloyd try out for an NFL team. “If I was a little girl watching and I saw an NFL kicker that was a female, that would be cool.”

This isn't midgets playing baseball.  She proved she has the skills to compete and frankly, until the last few days, I'd have been all over bringing her in to kick for the Jets.

The only question in my mind (and probably many others) is how she will handle getting hit, which is an ever-present possibility.  Or if she were in a situation where she needed to try to make a tackle.  I know she is a top athlete, but it's going to be a thing until she actually survives contact.

Also, she is still a critical member of the USWNT for soccer so I'm not sure how that will interfere with this.   But I think it would be awesome fun if she played a preseason game and nailed a kick.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Also, she is still a critical member of the USWNT for soccer so I'm not sure how that will interfere with this.  

reportedly she has a offer from an NFL team to kick in preseason game 4... but can't do it because she's playing Portugal 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Can she actually kick? Post a video making 10 50 yarders in a row and then sure. 

Yes, she can.  Kicking a ball is what she does for a living.  But never having faced a rush, kicking with a line in front of you, etc. is a whole different animal.

I think she should be given a chance.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes, she can.  Kicking a ball is what she does for a living.  But never having faced a rush, kicking with a line in front of you, etc. is a whole different animal.

I think she should be given a chance.

Does she want to play football? Are we basing this off that one video? 55 yards in gym clothes is pretty standard for even decent high school kickers nowadays. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That offer, if true, would be nothing more than a a PR move.  

it feels like a Chris Johnson PR move 

it's not JUST a PR move tho, she can kick legit. 

this does happen alot btw the Ravens just signed a guy Elliot Fry for the opportunity to kick game 4 even tho he's got no shot to make the team (Justin Tucker)... 

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This isn't midgets playing baseball.  She proved she has the skills to compete and frankly, until the last few days, I'd have been all over bringing her in to kick for the Jets.

The only question in my mind (and probably many others) is how she will handle getting hit, which is an ever-present possibility.  Or if she were in a situation where she needed to try to make a tackle.  I know she is a top athlete, but it's going to be a thing until she actually survives contact.

Also, she is still a critical member of the USWNT for soccer so I'm not sure how that will interfere with this.   But I think it would be awesome fun if she played a preseason game and nailed a kick.  

What happens the 1st time there is a kickoff, and she has to try to help with a tackle, or someone who weighs 230 pounds goes to block her at full speed.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This. Not sure why anyone would be against this any more than a dude soccer player getting a tryout.  It's not like she doesn't have the leg for it.

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Does she want to play football? Are we basing this off that one video? 55 yards in gym clothes is pretty standard for even decent high school kickers nowadays. 

From the way it is sounding I think she does. She would probably need a year to actual develop true football kicking skills, and there is the issue of her exposure to hits on both kickoffs and FGs, but she certainly has proven she has the raw talent to do it. There are some pretty high speed collisions in world class soccer without pads, but really injury would be the only thing holding her back. She is likely able to handle the pressure. Who cares if she is a woman if she can prove she belongs.

My guess: we see her kick in Canada this year.

Cool to see her nail a 55 yarder.

kickoffs are an issue though. What is she 5.7 135lbs? Imagine if a returner breaks free. Somebody could knock the hell out of her. She essentially would need to run off the field after she kicks it down field. 

On second thought, she’s in the same weight class as Robby and he’s been fine. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it feels like a Chris Johnson PR move 

it's not JUST a PR move tho, she can kick legit. 

this does happen alot btw the Ravens just signed a guy Elliot Fry for the opportunity to kick game 4 even tho he's got no shot to make the team (Justin Tucker)... 

I'm not doubting her athletic ability but she's pushing 40 I believe.  

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Apparently the invitation to kick with the Eagles was just for fun, but after some teams saw her she apparently has an offer now to kick in a preseason game.  I see no problem with this, especially in a preseason game and maybe for a team that already has an established Kicker and doesn't need to trot him out there in a meaningless game.  If she practices, signs some sort of one-week contract, has insurance, etc. I don't see a problem with this.  The risk is on her and the team.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/carli-lloyd-nfl-kicker-preseason-offer-field-goal-roster-team-082619