JetNation

Clayton: Jets Have Contacted Texans About Clowney

41 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Meanwhile, Clowney has fired his agent, cannot sign a new one for 5 days, and has already visited Miami.  

Dont see why he  needs an agent to sign a franchise tender.  It is what it is

• Upvote 1

The Jets are still being used to leverage the market lol

• Upvote 3

The Jets are building a team. Not tearing it apart. QW complements Leo and makes him a better player. Robbie is in a break out year and is going to light it up. Our WR’s without the deep threat makes the offense weaker. I could see trading a RB and a later round pick for him. Clowney doesn’t impress me that much. I’d rather see a promising DE drafted next year than sell good stock and have less DP’s. Jets may actually draft some players next year that don’t end up 1 and done Like many in the past. We have a GM that doesn’t pick with the caffeine jitters now.

• Upvote 2

It’s not happening, let’s develop our QB, we aren’t in Win now mode.

• Upvote 3

I would be pretty upset if the Jets traded Robbie, i really don't think Gase and Douglas will consider it tbh. Douglas was on the staff in Philly that wanted to trade for Anderson. And in Houston's case, they have a similar player in Will Fuller who is very similar to Robbie just cant stay healthy the past 2 years. 

For Clowney I'd offer a 3rd and 6th this year or something along those lines. I'm sure the Texans would want picks and if they do want players it would be most likely olineman.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The cost could of course end up being too outrageous to consider, but there's definitely nothing wrong with at least calling to find out, especially when it's for a position that has been a hole on this team for a very long time.

Yeah but sadly enough we have guys who had just as many pressures as Clowney yet because Clowney still has that first round attached to him he's going to demand ridiculous money he does not deserve not to mention his numerous injuries and inability to stay on the field. Let him be someone else's problem.

I think it was Jenkins who had 2 less sacks and just as many pressures as Clowney might have even been Copeland with the same amount of pressures Im not sure which it was. If we can get good push with our Lineman which with the addition of Quinnen we may very well get that, its not out of the question all of our current pass rushers benefit and have better stats. Keep in mind Clowney played with JJ Watt and with the double and triple teams he deals with you would think the Clown would have much better numbers than our guys and he does not.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn’t be crazy about giving anything significant up for him to be honest.

He won’t have JJ Watt here to take attention away from him.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

That would be stupid

what why. 

I have a hard time understanding a Clowney deal for the Jets without sending Leo is that way. We’re not paying Leo next year. I don’t see it. Anderson outperformed him and we’ve enough talent at Dline... Clowney May end up a 1 year rental as well. 

Cant start tossing too much money and picks into this one.... yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I think people on here are under  valuing Clowney because he hasn’t lived up to the massive hype he got mostly from 1,2 plays in college. If we had a player coming off back to back 9 sack seasons, in relative good health and  still in his prime wouldn’t we all want to give him a big contract knowing Sams on a rookie deal? Clowney would be a fantastic addition to the defense and would fill a hole that we’ve had for almost a decade. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he wouldn't.  It was already reported that QW won't be playing NT.  Leo will be a rotational piece.  And an expensive one.  

From what I have heard all of our linemen will be rotating in and out to keep them fresh.  He said something along the lines of its a fight in a phone booth every play for those guys so we need all our Dline to play to keep them fresh.  the days of interior linemen playing every snap seem to be over here. Seriously though, I cant see Leo getting benched.  He is close imo and supposedly other team scheme for him, maybe why Anderson gets so many plays??? idk, I like Anderson too.

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

what why. 

I have a hard time understanding a Clowney deal for the Jets without sending Leo is that way. We’re not paying Leo next year. I don’t see it. Anderson outperformed him and we’ve enough talent at Dline... Clowney May end up a 1 year rental as well. 

If it’s Leo for Clowney then that’s probably the only deal I’d like. Other then that I cannot understand giving up draft capital and then having to sign a guy like Clowney who is very far from being as disruptive as someone like Kahil Mack. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

what why. 

Because Clowney wants JJ Watt money and isn’t half the player and he also doesn’t have a long term contract. I’d rather keep Leo. 

• Upvote 2

So many Jets fans have absolutely no clue how good Clowney really is. Some of his best work has resulted when JJ has been injured, which is a fair amount in the last 3 years. But keep thinking he stinks....

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Butt Fumble 3

I would be interested if it is primarily a player for player trade and not a boat load of picks.  I would easily trade leo in a deal.  It is a re alignment of resources that totally makes sense.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

11 minutes ago, TexJet said:

So many Jets fans have absolutely no clue how good Clowney really is. Some of his best work has resulted when JJ has been injured, which is a fair amount in the last 3 years. But keep thinking he stinks....

I need a little convincing he'd be worth giving up anything big for but I am all ears. I honestly haven't watched him much so I would like to hear from people that have, and their opinions. Maybe I'll go scour a Texans board and see what they think.

The Jets "contacted" Houston about Clowney. 

I imagine 15 teams "contacted" them.  Thanks for the report, John Clayton.  Some write like trolls. He just looks like one.

Total non-story... 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Because Clowney wants JJ Watt money and isn’t half the player and he also doesn’t have a long term contract. I’d rather keep Leo. 

GM'ing 101 disagrees with you though. 

We have no "established" Pass Rusher. Just some shi*tty magic beans... ON THE OTHER HAND, we have 465 Defensive Tackles. It's stands to say -- without argument -- that the needle will be moved on sunday more so with Clowney, than with Leo who can be replaced by a variety of DTs on the roster, including the "clone" we drafted this year.

The contracts discussion is irrelevant/moot... Leo could walk next year, Clowney could walk next year..

• Upvote 4
  • Butt Fumble 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would be interested if it is primarily a player for player trade and not a boat load of picks.  I would easily trade leo in a deal.  It is a re alignment of resources that totally makes sense.

Agree. Trading Leo balances our resources along the front 7. We don’t seem like a good match since Houston is looking for OL and WR.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

It’s not happening, let’s develop our QB, we aren’t in Win now mode.

We are absolutely in win now mode. If not now, when? Support your young talented QB with the best team possible. 

24 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Let me explain this to you one last time and maybe you will get it.  Jadaveon clowney is a good player who wants great money.  We are not in the business of paying good players great money.  Those days are over.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, TexJet said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he stinks he’s just not as good as some posters think and he’s not worth the contract he’s going to want and doesn’t have a long term deal. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

GM'ing 101 disagrees with you though. 

We have no "established" Pass Rusher. Just some shi*tty magic beans... ON THE OTHER HAND, we have 465 Defensive Tackles. It's stands to say -- without argument -- that the needle will be moved on sunday more so with Clowney, than with Leo who can be replaced by a variety of DTs on the roster, including the "clone" we drafted this year.

The contracts discussion is irrelevant/moot... Leo could walk next year, Clowney could walk next year..

Clowney doesn’t have many sacks or QB hits for a OLB. I personally don’t think he’s worth Leo and a draft pick. 

• Upvote 1

Texans won't trade Clowney for Anderson because Robby simply id not in the same ballpark talent wise as Clowney ...Leo is.

I think it's gotta be Leo in the deal ... Wish it were as simple as trading Robby Rundeep ... But that's not how it works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Clowney doesn’t have many sacks or QB hits for a OLB. I personally don’t think he’s worth Leo and a draft pick. 

And a pick? Probably not. Nothing significant anyway. 

Regardless - tell me how many games Leo has had a direct impact on the outcome. Since his rookie year we’ve been perennial losers and he’s been a part of it. He’s super replaceable 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Tell that to the “playoffs or bust” crowd around here. Never saw a fan base that could oscillate so quickly from despair to irrational exuberance.

If anyone had posted a defense of Adam Gase one year ago, it would’ve set a record for butt fumbles.

Really?  You dont have much history with fanbases then.  

Especially the out of town total homer fanbases.  Try living in FL and have these yahoos tell you the Dolphins have been more successful than the Jets since the turn of the century.  These clowns thin playoffs this year

I completely forgot John Clayton existed.  I assume he isn't with ESPN anymore?

His Slayer/pony tail commercial is an all timer

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And a pick? Probably not. Nothing significant anyway. 

Regardless - tell me how many games Leo has had a direct impact on the outcome. Since his rookie year we’ve been perennial losers and he’s been a part of it. He’s super replaceable 

If Clowney had a long term contract and it was him for Leo straight up, sure but it’s not. Clowney would be here a year and leave, Leo will probably resign with the Jets. Houston is also going to want more then just Leo. 

Leo is replaceable but let’s see how the D looks this year. 

1 hour ago, TexJet said:

I have watched a lot of Houston games... Clowney has the talent and ability to be an amazing pass rusher... The problem is that he is lazy and doesn't give full effort unless he think he can make a big play.  You can talk all about how he is great enough to deserve the money, but when you look into it and actually watch Texan's games you can see that he is a ghost for most of the game. Clowney holding out is absolutely on track to be a better version of Mo Wilk 2.0... He gets his money, tries on 25% of the plays or less because he has his money and will just look for the 'big play' and whiff on all the rest.

Read scouts if you don't believe me... watch games... its apparent. He has a reputation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

I have watched a lot of Houston games... Clowney has the talent and ability to be an amazing pass rusher... The problem is that he is lazy and doesn't give full effort unless he think he can make a big play.  You can talk all about how he is great enough to deserve the money, but when you look into it and actually watch Texan's games you can see that he is a ghost for most of the game. Clowney holding out is absolutely on track to be a better version of Mo Wilk 2.0... He gets his money, tries on 25% of the plays or less because he has his money and will just look for the 'big play' and whiff on all the rest.

Read scouts if you don't believe me... watch games... its apparent. He has a reputation.

We had that guy already.  He stole a truckload of the Jets' money and lollygagged himself out of his contract so he could bring his lazy lard-a&& to another team and steal theirs.  If Clowney is another Wilk, then I'll pass, thank you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t think anyone thinks he stinks he’s just not as good as some posters think and he’s not worth the contract he’s going to want and doesn’t have a long term deal. 

Unfortunately, this comment is just as applicable to Williams as it is to Clowney.

The only real difference is one plays a position the team is overloaded at, while the other plays a position of weakness for the team for many years now.  I seriously doubt it would happen anyway, as Houston likely wouldn't be interested, but that's why many here would be on board with that.

• Upvote 1