Seriously though

Dcronin

Not being a sad sack SOJ loser here, I promise. Just a question, looking at our absolutely brutal schedule, how do you NOT have us at 0-6 going into week 7?

What am I missing? Bills have one of the top defenses in the league, revamped lines and new weapons, as well as one of the top QBs from last year's second half. Browns are better all over. Eagles are back to Superbowl shape or somewhere thereabouts, and Dallas will roll us for sure. Add to that New England twice and I am thinking that the return to the playoffs storyline will have to wait a year or two.

Am I crazy? We will see. What do you have our record at after 6 games?

I'll wait and see and root for the green and white.

DC

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 14
  • WTF? 2

Baker Mayfield was 1-5 on the road last year. He had a cupcake schedule and all his stats came from terrible defenses including the atrocious Bengals twice. Baker was bad against good defenses. Odds are Jets start out 2-0 and have a shot at upsetting the Patriots who historically start out very slow.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

We shock the world this year and go 9-7.  Boom, wildcard city!!!!!

That wildcard is going to be tough to grab. Lots of teams who can take the last two spot. Thanks to Luck, the Colts are out of this discussion but I imagine it’s still a tight race in the AFC

division winners:

AFCE- Patriots

AFCW - Chiefs

AFCS - Texans

AFCN - Steelers

that leaves teams like the Chargers, Browns and Ravens as possible wildcard contenders.

the Jets are going to need a 10-6 record if you ask me.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Not being a sad sack SOJ loser here, I promise. Just a question, looking at our absolutely brutal schedule, how do you NOT have us at 0-6 going into week 7?

What am I missing? Bills have one of the top defenses in the league, revamped lines and new weapons, as well as one of the top QBs from last year's second half. Browns are better all over. Eagles are back to Superbowl shape or somewhere thereabouts, and Dallas will roll us for sure. Add to that New England twice and I am thinking that the return to the playoffs storyline will have to wait a year or two.

DC

Imagine if the NFCe wasn't still on the uptick? Forget about it, 1-4 at best. possible 2-4 currently.

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

The Jets added 3 all pro players and the staff is much better top to bottom. 

The suspensions hurt but the Jets haven’t had a player like Bell in forever 

Have we ever had a player like Bell?  As great as Curtis was he wasn't as dynamic as Bell.

8 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

Troll much?

8 hours ago, Dcronin said:

DC

And people call ME negative and pessimistic...

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I cannot say if we will be 0-6, 3-3 or 6-0 as of this minute. We have the talent and team to do any of those. It all depends on how it all comes together and if this CS really has the smarts we think they do. Hoping it is our turn to be good for once. We deserve it.

15 hours ago, ljr said:

not sure if trolling ... if not, what you are saying is the definition of being a sad sack SOJ fan ?

fyi - we are favored to win game 1 by 3 points ... thus, better than 50/50 chance we start 1-0

0-6 prediction meet toilet bowl ... flush

I think definition of SOJ fan is one who refuses to have hope in any way shape or form. I have hope. I just can't see us winning any of those early games. If we do win a few, then we are a better team than I think we are currently.

• WTF? 2

Bills (W)
Browns (W)
@ Patriots (L)
@ Eagles (L)
Cowboys (W)
Patriots (W)
@ Jaguars (W)

I see it that way.  Split with the Pats.  Split with Dallas/Philly.  Beat the 3 AFC teams we will be favored against (Jax will be 2-5) and who weren't that much better than we were last year.  Win all our home games.  Go 1-3 on the road.

SAR I

3 reasons to look at the glass as half full

1. Darnold.  Going into his second year, It is reasonable to expect him to be better than last year.  Will he be the guy who went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers last December, Maybe.  Maybe not.  But he should be better and more consistent.  Is it unrealistic to think he can be above 60% completions; 25+ TDs and 12 or fewer picks.  I think so.  And that is good enough to win games
  2. Turnovers.  Last year we were botom of the league in turonover margin.  I think 29th in the league at -10.  QBs threw 19 picks and we lost 11 fumbles.  30th in the league in giveaways.  If we take care of the ball better, we should at least be even in TO margin.  And if our defense can force a few more TOs, it will help offset the weaknesses in the secondary.  Willit happen?  I don't know; but 0 turnover margin should be attainable. 10 fewer TOs should translate to a few more Ws.
  3. Coaching.  I don't know how good a coach Gase will be.  I was one of the guys bithicing and moaning about the hire in January.  But even if he is mediocre, it will be a marked improvement over the triumvirate Bowles/Rodgers/Bates.

There are reasons for optimism.  Its August, this is the time to be optimistic. Now is the time to view hte glass as half full.  At least for me.  Past few years, they have beaten the optimism out of me by end of September.  I sure hope it is different this year.

Discliamer: I usually find reason for optimism in August.  I have probably had a post similar to this around this time of year for most of the past 8 seasons -- either on this or other sites.  I have often been wrong.  But this year it will be different.