We JUST MIGHT have the best RB in the league

Jetster

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Probably be game 3-4 before he is totally in football shape.

Agreed. TY & Bilal (I'm thinking McGuire is gone), will be getting a lot of touches too so Bell can adjust to getting hit again. Bell has to be impressing Gase in practice to keep him out of every preseason game after sitting out an entire season? We could be pleasantly surprised & see a guy come out of the gate completely refreshed & spry as sh*t after having 3 seasons of carrying the load at running & receiving. 

Its like unwrapping this big mystery in September. From all accounts he's been busting his azz, is in tremendous shape & he's in a good place looking to be on top again. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can we see him take a snap that counts before we declare him maybe the best in the league?

He was exceptional.  I don;t know what he is now.....no one does.  No one has seen it under live fire conditions yet.

Outside of getting injured Bell is still in his prime & has Jim Brown #s with the ball in his hand. This isn't 31 year old LT in 2010 man. Bells proven he's a freaking stud, we got him way cheaper than anyone thought we would & his presence alone will make Sam Darnold tougher to defend. 

I mean seriously, our RBs the 2nd half of last year were McGuire & Cannon! Holy Sh*t! Think about that for a second. 

• Upvote 2

Def has a good chance to be top 3

Agree with crusher , several games to really get the engine up to full speed

“Just might” is very fitting for the rest of what you’re thinking-elsewhere ... durability/minimum of injuries hugely important (more than normal)

Agree on the “2019 will be exciting”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Top 5 in yardage from scrimmage. 

He led the NFL for 5 or so years. 

Hes a complete back

People have forgotten how great he was.  Not just a good season, good run, hes had a great career.

Why should a fan not be happy to see him in our backfield because?  Why should they think he wouldnt go right back to where he was.  Instead of the non committal, wishy washy "have to see him before I act like a fan and get excited to see him play as a Jet" comments 

Guess it keeps you from being wrong.  If he plays well, never said he wouldnt.  If he plays badly, see I said wait....

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes a complete back

People have forgotten how great he was.  Not just a good season, good run, hes had a great career.

Why should a fan not be happy to see him in our backfield because?  Why should they think he wouldnt go right back to where he was.  Instead of the non committal, wishy washy "have to see him before I act like a fan and get excited to see him play as a Jet" comments 

Guess it keeps you from being wrong.  If he plays well, never said he wouldnt.  If he plays badly, see I said wait....

Yea, I don't get this trepidation regarding Bell. It would be no different if Julio Jones stayed out a year & we signed him at 27 years old. 

Bell is a baller & great player.

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Outside of getting injured Bell is still in his prime & has Jim Brown #s with the ball in his hand. This isn't 31 year old LT in 2010 man. Bells proven he's a freaking stud, we got him way cheaper than anyone thought we would & his presence alone will make Sam Darnold tougher to defend. 

I mean seriously, our RBs the 2nd half of last year were McGuire & Cannon! Holy Sh*t! Think about that for a second. 

Ok.  I'm good with all that.  No one would say he's not a material on-paper upgrade, least of all me.

But whats the problem with wanting to SEE it first, before we start loudly proclaiming him the best in the NFL?

If he rolls out week 1 and gets 18 yards on 13 carries, and looks rusty as hell, is he still the "best RB in the NFL"?

We'll have real results soon enough.  I can hold off being fanatic about our new RB till then.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If he rolls out week 1 and gets 18 yards on 13 carries, and looks rusty as hell, is he still the "best RB in the NFL"?

We'll have real results soon enough.  I can hold off being fanatic about our new RB till then.

By that logic, you’d have to wait the whole year then. Otherwise, the flip side to your hypothetical is: “If he rolls out week 1 and gets 18 yards on 13 carries, and looks rusty as hell, is he [now one of] the [‘worst] RB in the NFL[‘]?”

And really, what’s the fun in being a fanatic on an online fanatic’s discussion forum then?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

By that logic, you’d have to wait the whole year then. Otherwise, the flip side to your hypothetical is: “If he rolls out week 1 and gets 18 yards on 13 carries, and looks rusty as hell, is he [now one of] the [‘worst] RB in the NFL[‘]?”

And really, what’s the fun in being a fanatic on an online fanatic’s discussion forum then?

"Let's just wait until Week 8 to discuss anything."

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok.  I'm good with all that.  No one would say he's not a material on-paper upgrade, least of all me.

But whats the problem with wanting to SEE it first, before we start loudly proclaiming him the best in the NFL?

That would be better then a former RB did in a AFCCG...B)

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes a complete back

Not sure why fans are doubting him. He was a beast at Pittsburgh and at worst he’s a top 5 back maybe the best. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Just got done watching One Jets Drive latest episode & listening to Curtis Martin talking about Le'veon Bell reminded me how freaking talented this guy is. Lev is the elite of the ELITE in the NFL & is right up there with Barkley & Zeke. Gurleys injury & how he declined last year has elevated these 3 guys. Not since Curtis Martin have we had a HOF type offensive player. 

Since taking a year off it's almost like we've all forgotten how good he is. We have a 22 year old phenom QB, one of the best running backs in the league, an offensive coach, some good WRs in Anderson, Quincy & Crowder, and we still have pessimistic fans? I'm wondering how these same fans felt going into 2014? The arrow for the Jets is pointing straight up and 2019 is just the beginning. Just look at teams over the last 3 years who had young QBs paired with great RBs & it elevated their games. 

The Jets if anything are going to be EXCITING AGAIN, my god it's been a long time! Even in 2015 with Fitz best year we still had those dulldrum halves with 8 punts now & then. This offense will challenge defenses on every possession. No more getting dictated to with the clock running out, Sam & Gase are going to make DCs work & have to adjust to us. 2019 is going to be a lot of fun.

He better be one of them. Takes some help though.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Can we see him take a snap that counts before we declare him maybe the best in the league?

He was exceptional.  I don;t know what he is now.....no one does.  No one has seen it under live fire conditions yet.

Declaratives don't contain the word "might". ?

47 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yea, I don't get this trepidation regarding Bell. It would be no different if Julio Jones stayed out a year & we signed him at 27 years old. 

Bell is a baller & great player.

AP blew a knee out.  Missed the last part of a season.  Came back early.  Didnt run once after a year off that preseason.  Ran for 2,100 yards, had a MVP season at the same age as Bell

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, rammagen said:

I think Bell is a better all around back then Barkley. Barkley is definitely the better runner out of the back field but he does not have or has not shown the receiving or route running skills of Bell

Barkley has more receptions then Bell ever did, more receiving TDs and more recieving yards then every season but one. Barkley is the real deal if he’s a Giant or not. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No you have to take the approach of show me first.  Darnold, hasnt done anything yet, I dont have the gumption to say hes going to be good, show me.  Bell, he was the best in the league, sat out a year, cant come out and say hes a top back.  Gase presser?  Who cares they all sound good at their pressers, let him prove it before I say I like him

Some just dont have the conviction to act and sound like fans.  Odd, especially on a fan board....

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Barkley has more receptions then Bell every did, more receiving TDs and more recieving yards then every season but one. Barkley is the real deal if he’s a Giant or not. 

True but its been one season.

Where he was his teams best player.  Hes great but Bell did it for years.  

Bell has the yardage per game as a J Brown, hard to keep from taking the easy route and just say theyre two of the best.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

AP blew a knee out.  Missed the last part of a season.  Came back early.  Didnt run once after a year off that preseason.  Ran for 2,100 yards, had a MVP season at the same age as Bell

Early is amazing. And it takes a RB a while to get back to full speed after a major, simply amazing.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

I think Bell is a better all around back then Barkley. Barkley is definitely the better runner out of the back field but he does not have or has not shown the receiving or route running skills of Bell

Barkley caught 91 passes for 721 yards last year on a 75% catch rate. Pretty good for a guy who can't catch or run a route. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Barkley caught 91 passes for 721 yards last year on a 75% catch rate. Pretty good for a guy who can't catch or run a route. 

except most if not all of those catches were swings out of the back field, how many was he lined up as a wide receiver, hence my comment about running routes. I am knocking him it is the offense and he plays well in it, just let me know when he lines up as a wide out...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/do-the-giants-have-to-change-how-they-use-saquon-barkley/ar-AAGrPCt

the average depth per reception were 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage...almost like a long hand off

• Upvote 1

We have a top 6 RB. Who’s the best among Kamara, Bell, Saquon, Gurley, Zeke, and McCaffrey is debatable.

Im pumped because we also have an ascending deep threat, slot receiver and TE. This offense is coming along despite the organization ignoring it for all these years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

I can't imagine anybody that has seen Barkley play having this opinion.  If Bell is better, it is not by enough to make such a statement.  I guess you addressed this, but I don't think I agree.  I think your later comments relate way more to the structure of the offense than to the players innate talents.