Trader Joe - Jets trade with Colts for CB Nate Hairston

Mo Lew

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We had the extra 6th to play with thanks to the Darron Lee trade; that pick is now gone.  

I thought Gase was out over his skis when he traded Lee both when and for what he did.  Lee was a 1st round pick, and although he never lived up to that, he was way better then this guy.  Nobody will ever convince me basically trading him even up for this guy was a smart move.

You can get this type of player for free picking 3rd off the waiver wire next week like the Jets will. If this is how Gase and Trader Joe "make moves". I'm not impressed.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I thought Gase was out over his skis when he traded Lee both when and for what he did.  Lee was a 1st round pick, and although he never lived up to that, but he was way better then this guy.  Nobody will ever convince me basically trading him even up for this guy was a smart move.

You can get this type of player for free picking 3rd off the waiver wire next like the Jets will. If this is how Gase and Trader Joe "make moves". I'm not impressed.

Oh please.  Macc was trying to trade Lee for a 5th round pick but KC wouldn't budge.  Lee lost value the moment he came off the lot.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh please.  Macc was trying to trade Lee for a 5th round pick but KC wouldn't budge.  Lee lost value the moment he came off the lot. 

You have no clue what Macc was asking for Lee. I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to trade him for the equivalent of this guy. Gase did, not Macc.

Lets both sit back and watch the seasons Lee and this kid have. Then if you still want to live in a world where you think this guy had the same value as Lee, fine.

Gase made a bad trade, and Douglas just threw away a 6th round pick for a player who was getting cut in a few days. This time next week there will be players like this kid (and some better) available for free.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Lets both sit back and watch the seasons Lee and this kid have. Then if you want to live in a world where you think this guy is the same value as Lee, fine.

Gase made a bad trade, and Douglas just threw away a 6th round pick for a player who was getting cut in a few days. This time next week there will be players like this kid (and some better) available for free.

Again, Macc was trying to trade Lee for a 5th.  Would that have been a bad trade also?

Lee wasn't going to maximize his value here.  Gregg Williams had little use for him.  

If JD thinks this corner has something to offer, then yes, the trade is fine.  We need corners, and aren't the only team who needs them.  I.E. we wouldn't have been the only teams going after any decent CBs available.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, Macc was trying to trade Lee for a 5th.  Would that have been a bad trade also?

Lee wasn't going to maximize his value here.  Gregg Williams had little use for him.  

If JD thinks this corner has something to offer, then yes, the trade is fine.  We need corners, and aren't the only team who needs them.  I.E. we wouldn't have been the only teams going after any decent CBs available.  

an ilb jag like lee is a marginal roster guy.  a cb jag like hairston is more valuable b/c there are fewer who can play the position.

plus i agree, gw would have run him out of town here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nope you posted it so I'll take it up with you. 

Be accurate with your posting or you will get called out!

The post is an article written in the NY Post by Brian Costello NOT ME. 

I joewilly12 did not write the article I copied and pasted what he wrote. 

image.gif.f89b10d22f05755bb365b4516d3056de.gif

BRIAN COSTELLO

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ok, look the trade is done, it is what it is. I don't like it, you do. Hopefully this kid gets on the field and contributes. I'm not holding my breath though for that.

Just don't give me the "we're not the only team looking for CBs" thing. We have 3rd dibs on EVERY single player waived. We're going to get our pick of anyone the first two teams don't want. I don't think it will be very hard to get a player like this one next week.

• Sympathy 1

Like the trade. For what will probably be a very late 6, you're getting a young guy with starting experience. Who knows if he doesn't make the Colts roster, or someone else trades for him or the Cardinals (who are desperate for CB help) claim him before we can? Gotta imagine he's an upgrade over the crap we currently have. Low risk trade. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, look the trade is done, it is what it is. I don't like it, you do. Hopefully this kid gets on the field and contributes. I'm not holding my breath though for that.

Just don't give me the "we're not the only team looking for CBs" thing. We have 3rd dibs on EVERY single player waived. We're going to get our pick of anyone the first two teams don't want. I don't think it will be very hard to get a player like this one next week.

I don't like it or dislike it yet.  I'm just saying there's no real reason to be pissed about the Darron Lee trade in hindsight.  

2 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

After watching "With the Next Pick" about the Colts draft process and knowing Hogan was a big part of it... I'm totally fine with this move.

The Colts CB depth chart has so many guys I wish the Jets would have taken a flyer on (Quincy Wilson, Jalen Collins, Desir, Langley, Tell). Instead they went with late round lottery tickets that were injured or had limited experience (McDougle, Clark, Jones, Nickerson, Austin).

The one guy I thought would pan out was Juston Burris -- who now seems to be stepping up for Cleveland. 

Um, Hairston was a WR for at least half his college career, much like Jones.  Does experience get much more limited than that?  Tell was a college safety that I just found out the Colts converted earlier in this  thread.

55 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You have no clue what Macc was asking for Lee. I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to trade him for the equivalent of this guy. Gase did, not Macc.

Macc was trying to move Lee but wouldn't budge on the price.  Presumably that was a 5th, because Gase accepted a 6th. 

Do you really think Macc turned down a 4th rounder or better after declining Lee's 5th-year option?  Come on.  

https://nypost.com/2019/05/15/jets-trade-darron-lee-to-chiefs-as-adam-gase-grabs-reins/

Maccagnan tried to trade Lee during last month’s draft but could not find a deal.

It took Gase a few hours to make the move.

https://thejetpress.com/2019/05/20/nfl-new-york-jets-darron-lee-trade-chiefs-analysis/

• It had been problematic for former general manager Mike Maccagnan to strike a deal, but Gase wasted little time pulling the trigger once he took over.

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't like it or dislike it yet.  I'm just saying there's no real reason to be pissed about the Darron Lee trade in hindsight.  

I dunno. Seems like a giant waste of time if we weren't going to turn him into some kind of asset. 6th round picks have some value. It doesn't seem like the dude they just got does.

39 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The post is an article written in the NY Post by Brian Costello NOT ME. 

I joewilly12 did not write the article I copied and pasted what he wrote. 

image.gif.f89b10d22f05755bb365b4516d3056de.gif

BRIAN COSTELLO

You posted it, not Brian Costello.  Post accurately or get called out for posting faulty information. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno. Seems like a giant waste of time if we weren't going to turn him into some kind of asset. 6th round picks have some value. It doesn't seem like the dude they just got does.

I suppose.  But KC's 6th was always going to be a late 6th rounder.  You can't generally turn a late 6th into much.  If a 25-year old corner can rise to the Dime Back spot, that's a worthwhile use of that pick.  

42 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yeah he is at practices and sees him play live.  Are you serious right now?

Oh, I see.  It all makes sense now.   I'm sure Joe asked Rex when they considered this trade; hey Rex, you were in Indy with this kid, I'm watching this dudes tape from the regular season playing real life players who are allowed to hit and scheme for the other team each week but what I really want to know is, how does he look in practice?!?!?!?!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I suppose.  But KC's 6th was always going to be a late 6th rounder.  You can't generally turn a late 6th into much.  If a 25-year old corner can rise to the Dime Back spot, that's a worthwhile use of that pick.  

Who knows. The strategy of unloading picks, even extremely late ones, simply for bodies always seems to be a failing one. The Jets need to be hoarding and playing the odds. Trades like this better teams can afford to do, the Jets not so much.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, I see.  It all makes sense now.   I'm sure Joe asked Rex when they considered this trade; hey Rex, you were in Indy with this kid, I'm watching this dudes tape from the regular season playing real life players who are allowed to hit and scheme for the other team each week but what I really want to know is, how does he look in practice?!?!?!?!

WTF are you babbling about... You know that they are looking for CB help, Rex tells Joe they are pretty stout in the CB department at Indy, let's look at one of the players that is going to get cut... JD reviews with Rex with what he saw when he was there.  This is normal operation for any organization. 

I don't understand why this concept is so hard for you to get. Scouts see more in practice then is shown in film (fact). When reviewing your own personnel year to year you have a great understanding of your own players that other organizations might not see because they are outside of game tape. Does he study, what effort does he give, is he willing to get better, do you think he can improve, etc.etc. This has to be the most idiotic take I have seen yet... Are you telling me that there is no other information Rex could give JD on a player that was on his team while he was there for two years???? Jesus, why would you even take up that argument... its asinine.... 

Rex Hogan could easily tell JD... no way don't give up a pick for him or yeah he is totally worth it, or anything in between.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Shouldn't there be a responsibility to fact check, first?

Geez I don't know let me check with  my lawyer and get back to you. i will ask him if I copy and paste an article from the NY Post on a football message board if there are any discrepancies will there be legal  ramifications except someone having a bug up their azz about it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Geez I don't know let me check with  my lawyer and get back to you. i will ask him if I copy and paste an article from the NY Post on a football message board if there are any discrepancies will there be legal  ramifications except someone having a bug up their azz about it. 

So it was just an innocent mistake on your part?

• Haha 1