Mo Lew

Trader Joe - Jets trade with Colts for CB Nate Hairston

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So it was just an innocent mistake on your part?

Posting it yes if it was wrong information. I didn't write it. 

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Who knows. The strategy of unloading picks, even extremely late ones, simply for bodies always seems to be a failing one. The Jets need to be hoarding and playing the odds. Trades like this better teams can afford to do, the Jets not so much.

By the time we get done coaching him up, we'll be flipping him for a 4th. 

#value

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Posting it yes if it was wrong information. I didn't write it. 

An innocent mistake. I get it.

It sounds a lot like when someone innocently posts a second topic item that has already been posted, without knowing the other one existed, and you go all forum police on them.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I thought Gase was out over his skis when he traded Lee both when and for what he did.  Lee was a 1st round pick, and although he never lived up to that, he was way better then this guy.  Nobody will ever convince me basically trading him even up for this guy was a smart move.

You can get this type of player for free picking 3rd off the waiver wire next week like the Jets will. If this is how Gase and Trader Joe "make moves". I'm not impressed.

Win some lose some

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

An innocent mistake. I get it.

It sounds a lot like when someone innocently posts a second topic item that has already been posted, without knowing the other one existed, and you go all forum police on them.

Yes like a crotchety  neighborhood watch old man who calls the police on everything. 

Image result for get off my lawn pics

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

By the time we get done coaching him up, we'll be flipping him for a 4th. 

#value

That is a brilliant plan.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

WTF are you babbling about... You know that they are looking for CB help, Rex tells Joe they are pretty stout in the CB department at Indy, let's look at one of the players that is going to get cut... JD reviews with Rex with what he saw when he was there.  This is normal operation for any organization. 

I don't understand why this concept is so hard for you to get. Scouts see more in practice then is shown in film (fact). When reviewing your own personnel year to year you have a great understanding of your own players that other organizations might not see because they are outside of game tape. Does he study, what effort does he give, is he willing to get better, do you think he can improve, etc.etc. This has to be the most idiotic take I have seen yet... Are you telling me that there is no other information Rex could give JD on a player that was on his team while he was there for two years???? Jesus, why would you even take up that argument... its asinine.... 

Rex Hogan could easily tell JD... no way don't give up a pick for him or yeah he is totally worth it, or anything in between.

You said something along the lines of "see him first hand"...I mean, anyone can.  His tape is out there, you and I could find it if we really wanted to.  My assumption is a 5th round pick who's played significant time probably checks the boxes you would want to check.  Did Rex have some insight? Sure.  But I'm quite confident they traded for the guy because they saw something on film they liked and realize he's a dude that will put in the work to get better.  Forgive me for feeling like that was implied.  Not too many 5th round slackers make it in the NFL. 

It's pretty depressing we basically traded a 1st round pick (Lee) for a 6th round nickle back at best....but Lee was underwhelming and it is what it is at this point.

Let's hope our new GM gets more value out of our 1st rounders than Maccagnan did.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

We can only hope Indy brags about this trade on twitter. Next thing you know he's a stud dime back.

Or maybe he'll turn into a stud quarter back and we can trade him back to Indy for a king's ransom.

they actually traded for this guy. they did not just scoop him up.  so maybe there is something there.

5 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

just curious.....why not?

Just because he's a below average guy who would probably be cut and you gave up draft capital for him, even if he was not cut you can get guys like him after rosters cut

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Oh no, we're playing the Raiduhs and already gave no chance according to Raiduhaholic.

It's tough playing against 52 potential Pro Bowlers, even if they go 6-10

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Old draft profile from the Huddle Report.

Nate Hairston   CB/S   Temple

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Nate is a talented defensive back with excellent potential to become an impact corner or safety for the team that selects him. He started out as a wide receiver and has only played on the defensive side of the ball for one year but trust me when I tell you that Nate has the talent, mental strength and stamina to become a sleeper impact defensive player in the very near future. He has the quickness and speed you look for in a defensive back and is a fearless head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. He has the hands to make the interception and is a physical defensive back that is already learning to read receivers and to make plays on the ball. Nate will be an impact player, and while he learns and improves he can help right away in nickel/dime situations because of his tackling and strong physical style of play. Nate reminds me a lot of former Panthers/Redskins Josh Norman when he came out.

CONCERNS
Nate is little “handsy” at this stage of his development and this can get him in trouble with penalties. He has good overall coverage skills and in zone defense and certain match up zones he will be very effective. In single coverage he might not have the quickness and recovery speed to play in that style although he is still developing and those talents may just need some time to show up. 

BOTTOM LINE
Nate is an exciting player to watch on film. His willingness to support the run, physical nature in coverage and his excellent tackling make him have the potential to become an impact player for the team that selects him. You can see so much improvement from one game to the next and in just one year of playing on the defensive side. He is very smart and already has discovered how to use his offensive receiver knowledge to his advantage covering receivers on the defensive side of the ball. His size and quickness to identify and come up to support the run speaks of his ability to learn quickly and this sponge like learning talent will do him well at the next level. Like I said Nate reminds me a lot of Josh Norman when he came out. If the team that selects him uses that same style of defense that Josh was in early in his career than Nate could become as successful at the next level as Josh has become. Nate is your sleeper Defensive Back in this very talented group of defensive backs. I expect because he has only one year playing defense it will affect his draft status but it won’t affect his ability to become an impact defensive back at either corner or safety. It’s just a matter of time. As of this writing Nate looks to be a late round selection and if that’s right and if I’m right, that means he will be a steal. 

Drew Boylhart  APR.2017

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JiF said:

Never a fan of giving up draft capital (no matter how late) for back end roster fodder, especially as teams are releasing similar caliber players...

but hey, maybe he's legit and they can get some quality snaps from him.

If you use the lottery ticket analogy on late round picks then those guys are typically high risk, potentially high reward.  Most are either busts or you get lucky and find a starter or solid depth guy.  But when you have knowledge of the player, like Rex Hogan obviously has of Hairston, I think the equation is a little different.  They may know that Hairston will never be a high reward guy....there's no potentially huge payoff that they've somehow drafted a guy who could surprise and turn into a CB1.  At the same time, I think the bust risk is off the table too.  The Jets probably know that Hairston's floor is higher than most 6th rounders, that he IS an NFL caliber player, and that was enough for them to pull the trigger on a depth guy.  Just my two cents...

• Upvote 1

They've just thrown Hairston into the following Secondary situation...

1713341566_ScreenShot2019-08-28at6_24_45PM.thumb.png.e2e29fe4eb773ea427a78bfa8e277558.png

I have to think that Trumaine Johnson, Darrly Roberts, Brian Poole, Kyron Brown and Hairston might be the only safe ones at this point with Austin going to some type of PUP list or the Practice Squad.  But that's 5 guys and I'd expect the Jets to carry closer to 6 or 7.  I think we'll see at least one more addition from outside the organization.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, Macc was trying to trade Lee for a 5th.  Would that have been a bad trade also?

Lee wasn't going to maximize his value here.  Gregg Williams had little use for him.  

If JD thinks this corner has something to offer, then yes, the trade is fine.  We need corners, and aren't the only team who needs them.  I.E. we wouldn't have been the only teams going after any decent CBs available.  

are we arguing if a 5th has more value than a 6th these days? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Um, Hairston was a WR for at least half his college career, much like Jones.  Does experience get much more limited than that?  Tell was a college safety that I just found out the Colts converted earlier in this  thread.

Fair point--  what I'm essentially saying is I trust the Colts talent evaluators/process on Hairston more than I do the Macc-era guys who whiffed on all those late round injury prone DBs.

8 hours ago, KRL said:

People expecting to find Revis type of corners at this time of the year are
delusional.  The goal is to find corners with legit NFL experience which can
deepen the group.  We aren't going to bring in elite talent at the position
until next years free agent/ draft period

Seriously....before the Two Moves we made at CB during camp we would have been stuck giving significant snaps to UDFAs If Tru gets reinjured

1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

JiF and joe talking who to "take it up" with has to be code fore something.

I hope you get banned sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thank you joewilly, you're an honorable man and I appreciate you

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jesus this is the second thread I have now seen this stuff on. What is the deal? Gay jokes. What ******* tools.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

JiF and joe talking who to "take it up" with has to be code for something.

Maybe it's code for you're a tool

• Haha 3

I have no idea who this guy is but if they see something worth trading for I like it

I’m always for trading 6 & 7th rounders for players

6 & 7 rounders are about as close to useless as you can get

always hated when Mac would trade down in the 3-5 rounds to accumulate those picks 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I have no idea who this guy is but if they see something worth trading for I like it

always hated when Mac would trade down in the 3-5 rounds to accumulate those picks 

💯

1 hour ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Fair point--  what I'm essentially saying is I trust the Colts talent evaluators/process on Hairston more than I do the Macc-era guys who whiffed on all those late round injury prone DBs.

agree - this is a second round pick for Mac - lol

seriously a good pick up for a 6th - starting experience on a playoff team, only one other CB on the team can say that...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Jesus this is the second thread I have now seen this stuff on. What is the deal? Gay jokes. What ******* tools.

Every thread, not just two.

Its like Beavis and Butthead

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Yeah, and the Jets have done very well with using Day 3 picks for veteran trades.  Both Brandon Marshall and Henry Anderson look like solid trades in hindsight, even if Marshall didn't last too many years.

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I thought Gase was out over his skis when he traded Lee both when and for what he did.  Lee was a 1st round pick, and although he never lived up to that, he was way better then this guy.  Nobody will ever convince me basically trading him even up for this guy was a smart move.

You can get this type of player for free picking 3rd off the waiver wire next week like the Jets will. If this is how Gase and Trader Joe "make moves". I'm not impressed.

Read the other day that Lee is rated as the worst starting LB the preseason,

Seriously, makes no difference where he was picked.  He was worth only a 6th because no one cared where he was drafted, they didnt think he was worth more than a 6th.

Funny we went from threads asking why hes still on the roster, when will he be cut to complaining we only got a 6th?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every thread, not just two.

Its like Beavis and Butthead

Im not part of it @Jet Nut  he needs to go even after Max warned him he continues the nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not part of it @Jet Nut  he needs to go even after Max warned him he continues the nonsense. 

Oh I know that.  Should have written like watching B&B.  Sophomoric & childish.  

And annoyingly unfunny

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Read the other day that Lee is rated as the worst starting LB the preseason,

Seriously, makes no difference where he was picked.  He was worth only a 6th because no one cared where he was drafted, they didnt think he was worth more than a 6th.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing Lee is a great player, but he is a NFL caliber starting LB.

My original point here was about Douglas wasting the pick we got for him on a player we could've gotten on waivers. If we somehow missed on Hairston, I'm sure we could've gotten someone comparable and kept the pick. The fact that Douglas wasted any sort of capital on this move doesn't impress me. That was my point.

Somewhere along the way in my discussion with 80, we got to where I said it equated to Gase and Douglas combining to basically trade Lee for Hairston (a waiver wire type player). You and 80 might feel the way you do about Lee's situation here, I don't feel he was as bad as both of you do. I didn't like when we traded him. I thought KC took advantage of Gase. We only got a 6th because Gase accepted it, and I don't like that Douglas gave it away. 

This is my opinion, and I think it's reasonable, I see your side also though. I don't think either of us are changing our minds, and what does it matter anyway? What's done is done. That's why I told 80 earlier it is what it is, I hope the guy gets on the field and contributes something.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

This...jet fans love having “more picks” but a Third rounder is usually 50x Better then you 3 trash 6 rounders 

55 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I like the refresher period where we give our shiny new GM the benefit of the doubt. It feels nice.  The really fun times will be when moves like this actually pay off if even just for the guy like we got today to be solid depth.  We will all know in two years if Douglas deserves said benefits. 

What I CAN say is that if Macc was sending late rd picks for guys who were going to get cut on Sat while we were sitting at 3 on the waiver wire the mud slinging would be fierce right about now. 

Let's just hope Douglas doesn't ever have to sit on that side of the fence and we can always feel confident like your post outlined.  For today, I'm fine with it. Our CB crew looks pretty damn bad after the top 3. 

• Like 1