We’ve (nj.com) watched the Jets’ starters for a month. Let’s just say the playoffs are a long shot

26 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So he has the Jets at 7 and 7 with two games left but the playoffs are a long shot?

If we're 7-7 with 2 remaining, we need to win both games PLUS likely get help.  That's not far off from a "long shot" scenario.  It's not all that often that the team that's not in control of its own destiny in Week 16 reaches the postseason.  

Last year at that point in the season, the Eagles, Redskins and Dolphins were 7-7, and the Vikings were 7-6-1.  Only 1 of those 4 teams (Eagles) made the postseason.  The Steelers (8-5-1) and Titans (8-6) also missed out.  

In 2017, the Chargers and Packers were 7-7, and neither made the playoffs.  The Ravens (8-6), Cowboys (8-6), Lions (8-6) and Seahawks (8-6) also missed out.  

• Upvote 1

he has us going 7-4 against teams we, on paper, are equal or better than

0-5 against teams projected to be better than us

(6-5 & 1-4 probably would be more likely)

no major injuries I like 7-4 & 1-4 = 8-8 (no major surprise here)

(very easy to swing that a game in either direction)

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly teams, both the Jets and whoever we play in week 12 most often arent what we think they are today as they will be in week 12.

We beat an unimpressive Colts team.  A few weeks later when they started a run they probably destroy us.  

A year or two back we beat the Chiefs when they were in a funk.  Couple of weeks later theyre rolling over teams again, we probably get destroyed.

this.  I've been saying it forever:  it's not WHO you play, but WHEN you play them!

take our 2011 season:  flip the Broncos and Raiders games and Jets are 10-6 and a playoff team!  We played Raiders at the beginning of the year when they had that running back (can't remember his name).  he destroyed us!  a week or 2 later he went on the IR and was done for season; so were the Raiders.

at the same time, the broncos were just AWFUL with Kyle Orton at QB.  they then made the change to Tebow, who started performing his miracles for the rest of the season.  of course we played the Broncos towards the end of the season.

if we play the broncs at the beginning with Orton, and the raiders at the end, w/o that RB and while they re in a free fall, that's 2 more wins!

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we're 7-7 with 2 remaining, we need to win both games PLUS likely get help.  That's not far off from a "long shot" scenario.  It's not all that often that the team that's not in control of its own destiny in Week 16 reaches the postseason.  

Last year at that point in the season, the Eagles, Redskins and Dolphins were 7-7, and the Vikings were 7-6-1.  Only 1 of those 4 teams (Eagles) made the postseason.  The Steelers (8-5-1) and Titans (8-6) also missed out.  

I disagree, if he is predicting them to be 7 and 7 they could easily be 8 and 6 and in control of their own destiny with two to go.

The last few years? The Jets were long shots no doubt. If he is saying they are a long shot I thought he would predict a 5 win season. But his own prediction has the Jets close. Now I realize that he probably didn't even write the long shot part, he predicted 7 and 9 and the editor did the rest most likely.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I disagree, if he is predicting them to be 7 and 7 they could easily be 8 and 6 and in control of their own destiny with two to go.

If he's predicting them to be 7-7 at that point, he's predicting them to be 7-7.  This isn't a "but they COULD be 8-6" scenario.  We could also easily be 6-8 at that point and basically mathematically eliminated, if you want to play that game.  

And even if we're 8-6, as I pointed out, 5 teams over the last 2 seasons were 8-6 or better entering Week 16 and still missed the playoffs.

8-8... I didn't see anything in camp that made me change my mind... We've known for over a year now that the defense is a giant question mark... 

I think we see a team with some promise and a handful of play makers, but also a team missing some major pieces... That equals a mediocre team this year. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If he's predicting them to be 7-7 at that point, he's predicting them to be 7-7.  This isn't a "but they COULD be 8-6" scenario.  We could also easily be 6-8 at that point and basically mathematically eliminated, if you want to play that game.  

And even if we're 8-6, as I pointed out, 5 teams over the last 2 seasons were 8-6 or better and still missed the playoffs.

Yes but none of that means it is a long shot. 7 and 7 would be very close to the playoffs especially considering that a playoff team the Colts just lost their QB.

Just now, Maxman said:

Yes but none of that means it is a long shot. 7 and 7 would be very close to the playoffs especially considering that a playoff team the Colts just lost their QB.

I suppose.  I think you're right that the article writer had little control over the headline.  The over-arching point was that we're closer to a 7-9 team than we are a 9-7 team.

I get that this isn't a comfortable idea to acknowledge on the eve of a new season.  We all want to believe we're one Darnold breakout season away from the postseason.  But I don't think that's the case.  Even with Darnold having a Top 15 QB season my guess is we're still about an 8-8 team.  Darnold's progression into a true franchise QB is already getting "baked" into the equation.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Exotic blitzes and stuff? 

That's one of my favorite terms. "He puts together exotic looks and packages"

Except he really doesn't.  GW doesn't do much that's different from the rest of the league's average or better DC's.  Still, he's not Kacy Rodgers.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I suppose.  I think you're right that the article writer had little control over the headline.  The over-arching point was that we're closer to a 7-9 team than we are a 9-7 team.

I get that this isn't a comfortable idea to acknowledge on the eve of a new season.  We all want to believe we're one Darnold breakout season away from the postseason.  But I don't think that's the case.  Even with Darnold having a Top 15 QB season my guess is we're still about an 8-8 team.  Darnold's progression into a true franchise QB is already getting "baked" into the equation.  

I am not disagreeing on the final record. I think they are going to be 10 and 6, but I always think stuff like that. The reason I can't disagree is because everything has to break right. There is no depth at all. They can't have injuries at wideout or cornerback. And that is hard to pull off (no injuries). Plus Sam is only in year two.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

Really?  Normally you're so optimistic tho.

14-34 the last 3 seasons does that to people.  Give fans a reason to be optimistic and they'll be optimistic. 

Darnold, Douglas and Gase are reasons to like the future.  But that doesn't mean 2019 will be a great season.  And those aren't mutually exclusive points.  

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Our D is going to be fine.  The sky is falling “we have no corners or pass rush” crowd will change their tune quickly when they see the D for real.

What's the solution, scheming a pass rush?  That only takes you so far.  No pass rusher or solid corner is coming through that door without a trade happening.  

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What's the solution, scheming a pass rush?  That only takes you so far.  No pass rusher or solid corner is coming through that door without a trade happening.  

I don’t think much of the NFL has a defense these days. And while yeah, we are weak on defense- especially at CB, we do have a few guys elsewhere  capable of making  plays. This is a league of the 34-31 shootouts. The good news is we finally have the offense to compete.

• Upvote 2

Outside of Darnold’s expected (hopeful) leap this is kind of a punt season. 6-10 with Darnold looking like a franchise guy would be a good season. 

A lot of dead weight that still needs to be shed from the roster coupled with a brutal schedule in September/October. Douglas just got here, so we’ll have to be patient. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

WEEK 1 VS. BILLS (Sept. 8, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Win - Jets have been very good at season openers lately and I would expect they win a tight game

WEEK 2 VS. BROWNS (Sept. 16, Monday, 8:15 p.m., ESPN)

Result: Win - Browns are going to get beat up by the Titans who are a very physical team in week 1. 

WEEK 3 AT PATRIOTS (Sept. 22, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Loss - Tough to win at Foxboro

WEEK 5 AT EAGLES — AFTER WEEK 4 BYE (Oct. 6, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Loss - Eagles are just better

WEEK 6 VS. COWBOYS (Oct. 13, 4:25 p.m., CBS)

Result: Loss - Cowboys look good, tough game but in the end the speedy Defense of Cowboys stop Darnold enough.

WEEK 7 VS. PATRIOTS (Oct. 21, Monday, 8:15 p.m., ESPN)

Result: Win - I think they take 1 of the 2 Pats games, as Gase teams play well against Pats.

WEEK 8 AT JAGUARS (Oct. 27, 1 p.m, CBS)

Result: Win - Foles is not good enough to beat the terrible secondary.

WEEK 9 AT DOLPHINS (Nov. 3, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Win - Dolphins are going to win 3 games this year... None in the division.

WEEK 10 VS. GIANTS (Nov. 10, 1 p.m., Fox)

Result: Win - Shootout with Jones.

WEEK 11 AT WASHINGTON (Nov. 17, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Win - Washington is going to be picking #1 in April

WEEK 12 VS. RAIDERS (Nov. 24, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Win - David Derek Carr is a terrible QB

WEEK 13 AT BENGALS (Dec. 1, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Win - Finley puts up tons of yards, Sam throws for a career high of 450 Yards

WEEK 14 VS. DOLPHINS (Dec. 8, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Win - Nothing to say here

WEEK 15 AT RAVENS (Dec. 12, 8:20 p.m., Fox/NFL Network)

Result: Loss - Ravens are going to win their division this year with their huge running game.

WEEK 16 VS. STEELERS (Dec. 22, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Loss - Steelers still have big Ben and Juju. 

WEEK 17 AT BILLS (Dec. 29, 1 p.m., CBS)

Result: Loss -Jets split with the Bills

FINAL RECORD?

Says: 10-6

(2) three game losing streaks... See I can do sh*tty analysis too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

These preseason game-by-game breakdowns are little more than mental masturbation. Players will get hurt, bust, break out, etc., over the course of the year on every team. A little early to predict the Jets finishing the season with three straight losses. 

Even better.  He is predicting the Jets will lose to the Redskins because it is a "trap game."  The whole thing is a load of sh*t, but 7-9 makes as much sense as any other prediction.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I don’t think much of the NFL has a defense these days. And while yeah, we are weak on defense- especially at CB, we do have a few guys elsewhere  capable of making  plays. This is a league of the 34-31 shootouts. The good news is we finally have the offense to compete.

The teams that force turnovers do well.  The Rams finished 3rd in takeaways (30) and went to the Super Bowl.  The Chiefs had a mostly terrible defense but were t-8 in takeaways (27).  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I didn’t write this article , but any football fan can tell you the Jets have no chance against the Raiders.  Maybe 2020 when the Raiders again come to MetLife, they will give the Raiders a better game.

Spoken like someone who has never watched the NFL or bet on a game.

• Upvote 4