We’ve (nj.com) watched the Jets’ starters for a month. Let’s just say the playoffs are a long shot

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

My initial reaction to Williamson's injury was that he was the one player we could afford to lose.  I was wrong.  

To run the defense this team needs, we needed another capable mobile LB.  Lee maybe could have been it.  I think Williamson's lost costs 1-2 games.  

2020 or bust!

I think we have a chance to have a special season, but it will require us dominating time of possession week in and week out.  We need a consistent running game ans short passing game, lots of 10-14 play drives and scoring early and often.  Can it happen - yes...but will it?

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What's the solution, scheming a pass rush?  That only takes you so far.  No pass rusher or solid corner is coming through that door without a trade happening.  

If I'm GW I focus almost exclusively on redzone defense and try to just hold teams to FG's.   it's similar to parcells when he was here and what the Pats* do well every year - bend but don't break.   If the Jets are last in yards allowed but somewhere in the middle of the pack in pts allowed I think the D could be good enough to keep the team in games.  

Everyone expects GW to blitz but I think this is a zone team that tackles well.   I think you'll see zone blitzes but rarely will you see our CB's in 1-on-1.   Keep the game in front, make the tackle, and be opportunistic with turnovers.   It only takes 1 holding penalty or sack to kill a drive and other than the elite QB's it's just not that easy to march down the field and score a TD every time.  5 FG's + 1 TD is only 22 points and I think the Jets can score more than that this year.   If they give up TD's they obviously lose but yards are not going to hurt them.  

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Disagree, I think 2020 has the toughest road schedule in team history.  Hell, if the Dolphins game is played in Miami in September, all 8 games are killer.

SAR I

Tough enough to guess how a season will go another year from now. The NFL is a war of attrition & no one knows what these teams will look like.

23 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I didn’t write this article , but any football fan can tell you the Jets have no chance against the Raiders.  Maybe 2020 when the Raiders again come to MetLife, they will give the Raiders a better game.

In your expert opinion, who does have a chance against the Raiders this year? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, deucebag said:

I think we have a chance to have a special season, but it will require us dominating time of possession week in and week out.  We need a consistent running game ans short passing game, lots of 10-14 play drives and scoring early and often.  Can it happen - yes...but will it?

Yea that’s my thinking too....we either A) play ball control and give Bell a heavy workload...lots of runs short screens and quick throws to sustain long drives... or B ) Darnold really takes a leap forward to Top 10 QB range and we can win some games on his arm if need be...

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 11:42 AM, slimjasi said:

7-9 is reasonable (I have our best case record as 10-6 and our worst case record as 6-10, so I’d guess 8-8)

As others have noted, the game by game predictions are meaningless.

This is pretty much what I think.

For what it's worth, I'd prefer a 7-9 season where Darnold balls out and the defense sucks over a 10-6 season where the defense is solid and Darnold is only okay.

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 8:55 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

WEEK 2 VS. BROWNS (Sept. 16, Monday, 8:15 p.m., ESPN)

Stypulkoski says: This will be the first game where the Jets’ pathetic cornerback corps comes back to bite them. There’s absolutely no chance that Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts will be able to shut down Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham. On the bright side for the Jets, they avoid running Kareem Hunt here. But quarterback Baker Mayfield still has more than enough weapons to make the Jets pay. This one has shootout written all over it.

Result: Loss

Tell us how you really feel. JO