Hurricane Dorian Assistance

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I live in N.J and i'm recovering from a very serious back operation with sciatic nerve issues currently, I cannot help anyone at this time. If I was healthy I would most definitely help out if I could, after all I've been volunteering for the fire department for the last 38 years of my life. 

@Jet_Engine1

I thought you were down here.

We dodged a bullet, more like a buzz saw, Floridians.  My heart goes out to those in the Bahamas.  Just brutal devastation. 

Jax Beach only got some wind and rain.  Debris, some puddles, but all in all, not bad.  Never lost power, no trees down, no flooded streets.

Hope everyone is safe!  Good luck everyone up on the Carolina's! 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ugh, the storm has strengthened back to a Category 3.  The wife and I evacuated from Wilmington to Raleigh, so we'll be fine.  Just worried about the folks who stayed at home.  I almost wish there had been a mandatory evacuation to get them to leave.  

I told you they always miss us and hit you!  Just kidding.  Be safe!  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, this one is crazy. Going g to a drop point today for Bahamas relief,  donating all of our hurricane supplies and bedding etc, barges will be enroute soon.

Nice!  We're doing the same.  Tons of clothes.  I'm going to ask the company to do something as well, run a food drive or something

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I told you they always miss us and hit you!  Just kidding.  Be safe!  

Usually the Outer Banks serves as "protection" for us, and Wilmington ends up skating by.  In all my years here there really weren't any bad storms until Florence last year, and now this one.  Back to back after years of quiet.  Luck of the draw I guess!

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Nice!  We're doing the same.  Tons of clothes.  I'm going to ask the company to do something as well, run a food drive or something

Drives are really nice and mean well, but unfortunately a lot of those donations never make it to people.  Cash is king when it comes to disasters:

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ugh, the storm has strengthened back to a Category 3.  The wife and I evacuated from Wilmington to Raleigh, so we'll be fine.  Just worried about the folks who stayed at home.  I almost wish there had been a mandatory evacuation to get them to leave.  

Neighbors just relocated to Summerville SC they lost power 2 days ago is what I just heard. 

Stay safe @Jetsfan80 wish you the best. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Drives are really nice and mean well, but unfortunately a lot of those donations never make it to people.  Cash is king when it comes to disasters:

We have 2 helicopters, and around 20 boats being loaded as I speak. The Bahamas are our neighbors here in South Florida.....The Cruise Liner from Port of Palm Beach that does overnight cruises to Nassau is loading their entire cargo area and taking volunteers to directly offload at Freeport. 

Cash Is what disappears (ask Haiti). Direct loads of Food, water, clothing, and generators is what the Bahamians need right now, not some bloated bureaucracy taking their cut and then promising to get the money there....someday....

And if you're using Adam Conover as a credible source, I have a bridge I'd love to sell you.... Hope you guys do OK up there. We seriously lucked the F*** out.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We have 2 helicopters, and around 20 boats being loaded as I speak. The Bahamas are our neighbors here in South Florida.....The Cruise Liner from Port of Palm Beach that does overnight cruises to Nassau is loading their entire cargo area and taking volunteers to directly offload at Freeport. 

Cash Is what disappears (ask Haiti). Direct loads of Food, water, clothing, and generators is what the Bahamians need right now, not some bloated bureaucracy taking their cut and then promising to get the money there....someday....

And if you're using Adam Conover as a credible source, I have a bridge I'd love to sell you.... Hope you guys do OK up there. We seriously lucked the F*** out.

I'm talking about donating money directly to organizations that help, not to the government.  

Very cool to see that there are solid transportation options for those goods to get them directly into peoples' hands.  

• Upvote 1

After Sandy, Team Rubicon was fantastic. The Red Cross, not so much, unless nasty blankets and day old Burger King counts. Have noticed already the Red Cross is advertising everywhere.And they did very little but solicit for $ with photos of wrecked homes. Those people never saw the Red Cross. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

2 years later, and heading to Surfside for 4 days. The Dade/Broward guys are whipped after 2 weeks, so the rest of Florida is going to take the load off of them for a bit....unfortunately,  its a recovery effort.... we are past the time for miracles...? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Colonel Golan Vach, IDF Badass at Surfside with NJ USAR TF member. 

20210710_120356.thumb.jpg.b66543c4fcfba448f22f7640f7c43cce.jpg

Saw him speaking on TV the other day.  Very impressive.  In about two seconds, you knew this was the guy for the job.

Thanks for everything you and others are doing during this tragedy.

• Sympathy 1