Jamal recruiting Clowney

Rhg1084

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The FA crop for WR’s and OL next offseason is pretty terrible. Arguably worse than this past offseason.

Also, I don’t see the Jets picking in the Top 10 next year...so what are the odds of us landing an edgerusher as good or better than Clowney in the latter half of the 1st round, much less after that?

I wouldn’t give up a 1st for him, but a 2nd? Yeah, sure. And that’s supposedly what the Texans are seeking.

The next 2 years is prime time for spending before he have to start devoting a huge chunk of the cap towards Darnold every year moving forward.

Clowney isn’t Khalil Mack (if he was, you’d have to part with a minimum of two 1st round picks in order to obtain him), but he’s still a damn good player who is one of the more freakish edgerushers in the league and is still only 26.

Except he is an unresticted FA next year, no matter what so you get him for ONE YEAR at the cost of cap space, draft capital and opportunity cost.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghost420 said:

How does one recruit someone whose being traded? Fact is Clowney doesn't have much say as to where he goes. 

He has plenty of leverage. He can simply tell the team he gets traded to that he won’t play. He won’t get paid but, it does impact the acquiring team.

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The FA crop for WR’s and OL next offseason is pretty terrible. Arguably worse than this past offseason.

Also, I don’t see the Jets picking in the Top 10 next year...so what are the odds of us landing an edgerusher as good or better than Clowney in the latter half of the 1st round, much less after that?

I wouldn’t give up a 1st for him, but a 2nd? Yeah, sure. And that’s supposedly what the Texans are seeking.

The next 2 years is prime time for spending before he have to start devoting a huge chunk of the cap towards Darnold every year moving forward.

Clowney isn’t Khalil Mack (if he was, you’d have to part with a minimum of two 1st round picks in order to obtain him), but he’s still a damn good player who is one of the more freakish edgerushers in the league and is still only 26.

We have 3 years until we have to back up the brinks for Darnold. A sense of urgency is warranted.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Except he is an unresticted FA next year, no matter what so you get him for ONE YEAR at the cost of cap space, draft capital and opportunity cost.

We can resign him though. And in the meantime, we try and actually go to the playoffs this year. Add Clowney and a CB to this team and we’ll be playoff contenders. 

Sure, and WR/OL is hands down my preferred route for our 1st round pick next year. Give me someone like Tee Higgins or Walker Little and I’ll be over the moon.
But I’d still give up a 2nd for Clowney (preferably a 3rd and maybe a conditional pick). Otherwise, odds are we’ll just continue marching out the Brandon Copeland’s, Frankie Luvu’s and Harvey Langi’s of the NFL landscape.

Luvu shows promise. Copeland ehh jag and Langi slightly less than jag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

We can resign him though. And in the meantime, we try and actually go to the playoffs this year. Add Clowney and a CB to this team and we’ll be playoff contenders. 

He would have to be signed to an extension before any trade took place. Then this entire trade scenario would make sense because we're not a team that should be giving up assets for a one year rental.

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Supposedly the asking price is a second. Supposedly because everyone is just guessing at the moment.

They’ve been saying they want a LT. If it was for a second round pick and you knew he’d sign a long term contract it would be a no brainer but he might not sign and walk after one season. That means you gave up a second round pick to rent a player that’s not going to get the current team to the playoffs. It would be one of the dumbest things in Jets history. 

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Yeah, he’s good but got a sh*t attitude. Oh well. 

That is exactly why I did not want him unless it was a cheap below market deal.  He may play hard under the tag, but he is the type of guy you worry about once he gets paid; and we have already been through it with another guy like that.

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Amazing how the Seahawks win a super bowl just a couple years ago, almost win another and are they complacent?  No they get Clowney at a cheap cost

Meanwhile jets have 0.0 pass rush

I mean, they won a Super Bowl six seasons ago (2013-2014) and went to their last super bowl 5 seasons ago. 

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Wow for a 3rd rounder hurts to miss out on that

3rd rounder + two players + you only control him for one year. 

I think it’s a good deal for Seattle, but by no means a slam dunk. I would have been considerably more interested if we could have signed him longterm

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

3rd rounder + two players + you only control him for one year. 

I think it’s a good deal for Seattle, but by no means a slam dunk. I would have been considerably more interested if we could have signed him longterm

mingo and some other JAG and then a 3rd. Solid deal for the Seahawks that defense should be really good this year

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

mingo and some other JAG and then a 3rd. Solid deal for the Seahawks that defense should be really good this year

I agree. Solid deal for them.

But I just think people need to realize that the return was affected greatly by the contract situation.

If Seattle feels they are a legit SB contender, I think it makes total sense for them 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

That is exactly why I did not want him unless it was a cheap below market deal.  He may play hard under the tag, but he is the type of guy you worry about once he gets paid; and we have already been through it with another guy like that.

Though for the peanuts Seattle gave up, would’ve def done that deal. BUT Clowney wanted to be in seattle. So that helps things.