Clowney to Seattle

16 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You have a point, but somehow I think things will be much better with a real coach like Gregg Williams rather than Bowles and his check cashing, can’t be Fired, never will be a DC again, best friend Rogers. 

QW better be a beast

Otherwise this could be a surprisingly ugly season 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I hope you are right, but right now the Jets O-line looks like 5 "hold the fort" guys with only one really interesting young developmental guy (Edoga).  They'll probably need 4 new starters in the next 2 years.  Hard to get that in one year.  Maybe Joe will draft OL in the first three rounds next year?

I agree it is hold the fort time currently. However, draft OL next year in the first or more and maybe a FA pick up or two, and the line is mostly transformed. Doesn't take long provided it's a priority and there is talent on the market which there generally is. Yup, the Jets will have to overpay initially to get them but they have the money.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Just because we haven’t had a legit pass rusher since Abraham doesn’t mean you sell the farm for a guy who has never had double digit sacks.

Clowny changes nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

A 3rd round pick and some depth scrubs is selling the farm, huh?. Must be a small farm. Seattle will get a 3rd round pick as compensation if Clowney walks next year so Seattle basically robbed Houston. I'm kinda indifferent about getting Clowney, but let's not act like he wouldn't help the team win. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, naturalscience said:

Jordan Jenkins  35 tackles  7 sacks

Jadeveon Clowney 47 tackles 9 sacks

Jordan Jenkins 2019 salary $2.2 million 

Jadeveon Clowney 2019 salary $16 million

Are 12 tackles and 2 sacks worth $13.5 million?

You will be doing this I hope for Leo Williams at the end of the year?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The lazy pass rusher who is infinitely better than any Outside edge rusher we have had since John Abraham 

Het could never get a double digit sack year, despite playing opposite JJ Watt.

Sure. Hes great! 

LOL. Dude is Calvin Pace with a sh*t ton of undeserved hype. Nothing more. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, naturalscience said:

Throw in tackles for loss, pressures , forced fumbles and fumble recoveries  It’s more then just sacks 

30 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Throw in tackles for loss, pressures , forced fumbles and fumble recoveries  It’s more then just sacks 

Clowney was high on the list for TFL but was low as hell especially for an OLB for pressures. As far as FF and recoveries he had less FF last year then Jenkins 

A 3rd round pick and some depth scrubs is selling the farm, huh?. Must be a small farm. Seattle will get a 3rd round pick as compensation if Clowney walks next year so Seattle basically robbed Houston. I'm kinda indifferent about getting Clowney, but let's not act like he wouldn't help the team win. 

Yeah I hear ya. The post was written before the compensation was stated for one. Second I don’t like clowney because he’s overrated and thinks he’s elite. 9 sacks best. That’s mo Wilkerson style impact.
Screw him.

Third the third rd comp pick Is not guaranteed but let’s say it is. That’s a 2021 3rd which everyone knows has less value than a 2020 3rd. Especially when looking at our plans with darnold.

Maybe not selling the farm but my point remains as strong as it was prior to your in depth analysis of it .
lol

What it boils down to for me is I feel strongly that the trading picks for vet players idea is bad. We’ve been there done that. Clowney is not the scale tipper for our jets. That’s really the Point ya know?

2 hours ago, naturalscience said:

Add in the fact that Clowney was playing with Watt & Mercilus.  His stats should

dwarf Jenkins, Clowney apologists need to face facts

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Carroll is like Maccagnan in his disregard for the Oline

No one is anywhere near that. In Seattle OL was his top draft pick 3x and his second draft pick another 3x, plus 9 more OL picks on top of those. In addition to those 15 draft picks there have been veterans brought in, including his recently trading for a pro bowl LT and signing both a 26 yr old former 2nd overall pick and a 27 yr old former 11th overall pick. 

No doubt their OL isn’t drool-worthy, but that’s far more from having his share of whiffs than a Maccagnan-esque outright disregard for the line. 

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

But that’s a huge upgrade for us. He’s not in that Mack tier, but he’s better than Trey Flowers. My own view is that he’s right there in that second tier with Frank Clark and Lawrence. 

True. What would you have given up? I wasn’t down with a 1st round draft pick; plus he is going to cost a lot of money. 

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

He's still costing 16.5 mil. Very thankful he's not here. 

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

True. What would you have given up? I wasn’t down with a 1st round draft pick; plus he is going to cost a lot of money. 

A 2nd or a 3rd and Henry. Based on the actual deal that went though, Henry and a 3rd is better than what Seattle gave. 

But unlike some, I think he’s worth a 5 year $20 mil per year contract. He’s better than Trey Flowers who got $18 mil per. 

I’m over it though. In a little over a week, we’ll finally have a meaningful game to watch.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah I hear ya. The post was written before the compensation was stated for one. Second I don’t like clowney because he’s overrated and thinks he’s elite. 9 sacks best. That’s mo Wilkerson style impact.
Screw him.

Third the third rd comp pick Is not guaranteed but let’s say it is. That’s a 2021 3rd which everyone knows has less value than a 2020 3rd. Especially when looking at our plans with darnold.

Maybe not selling the farm but my point remains as strong as it was prior to your in depth analysis of it . emoji3.png
lol

What it boils down to for me is I feel strongly that the trading picks for vet players idea is bad. We’ve been there done that. Clowney is not the scale tipper for our jets. That’s really the Point ya know?

I'm with ya, i just feel like people look at Clowneys sacks and think that's the end all be all. He has led the league in TFL's over the past few years and is very disruptive. For the same money I'd rather have Clowney over Leo, and i like Leo more than most here. We'll see how it shakes out, not our problem now anyway.

Jordan Jenkins.                       Jadeveon Clowney 

Forced fumble.              2                                                     1                            

Fumble recovery.           2                                                     3

TFL.                                  6                                                    16

QBH.                                15.                                                 21

Fumbles are a wash. 

10 more TFL

6 more QBH 

Are 12 tackles, 2 sacks, 10 TFL, 6 QBH  worth $13.5 million?

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Maybe Sam can dial up 40+ points per game?

I actually think he will...about 4,500 yards for his 2nd season, as long as Gase installs an "attacking" offense, which Darnold already says he is.  For those unimpressed with Gase's offenses in Miami I can partially understand, but only at first glance.  I think Gase only installs his offense based on personnel and what will give the team the best chance to win overall.  Personnel totally dictates what kind of offense Gase wants to run.

You won't see the same offense that Brock Osweiller played in that Sam Darnold will play in.

Just like you won't see the same offense Peyton Manning played in that Gase put in in Denver as Ryan Tannehill played in in Miami.  I think the stats were Gase was 11-1 with Tannehill starting (when Tannehill was healthy), but it wasn't at all the kind of offense Manning played in.

Going to be a very interesting ie exciting, year for sure...definitely not "Bowles boring".  But most importantly this year is about Darnold taking a big leap forward, as long as that happens anything else is gravy.

22 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Totally agree.  At least I hope the FO understands that this is really just a hold the fort and evaluate year. Building a quality OL around Darnold is going to take 2-3 years, probably.

I can't  believe there are people here that didn't  want Clowney on this team. The guy is a pass rusher. We need pass rusher. Douglas should have gotten this guy. Our pass defense sucks and this would have gone a long way in fixing it.