Polite cut

AbstraKt

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We should really be comparing the Jets to equal or better teams setting the bar low never helps with success. 

No one is saying we don’t suck. 

Just saying we aren’t the suckiest of the sucky. 

Mac sucked but because we’re Jet fans, some here claim he was the worst GM in the history of sports. 

Not even close. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

No one is saying we don’t suck. 

Just saying we aren’t the suckiest of the sucky. 

Mac sucked but because we’re Jet fans, some here claim he was the worst GM in the history of sports. 

Not even close. 

Idzick and Macc flat out suck these guys were hired here because no one knew any better. 

Woody Johnson has zero football knowledge. 

At least Chris Johnson seems to be getting us on track. 

Bad years of drafting over and over hurts and we are seeing the effects. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Idzick and Macc flat out suck these guys were hired here because no one knew any better. 

Woody Johnson has zero football knowledge. 

At least Chris Johnson seems to be getting us on track. 

Bad years of drafting over and over hurts and we are seeing the effects. 

No one is debating that. 

They just aren’t the worst. 

Well, Idzik was. 

• Upvote 1

I think we should be around 8 or 9 wins with this roster.

With the exception of some bottom of the roster moves, this team was put together by Macc. It's obvious our last 3 drafts (excluding Darnold) were terrible, but a team isn't built through the draft alone. (This is me ducking to avoid incoming rotten tomatoes). If you think I'm being wildly optimistic and think our ceiling is 4,5 wins, I understand the "Macc is the worst GM ever," but If you agree with my win projection, it's difficult to equate Macc being that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

With the exception of some bottom of the roster moves, this team was put together by Macc. It's obvious our last 3 drafts (excluding Darnold) were terrible, but a team isn't built through the draft alone. (This is me ducking to avoid incoming rotten tomatoes). If you think I'm being wildly optimistic and think our ceiling is 4,5 wins, I understand the "Macc is the worst GM ever," but If you agree with my win projection, it's difficult to equate Macc being that.

I could see us winning 9 games and the last 3 drafts have produced more than just Sam. Jamal and Maye (if he stays healthy) will man the safety positions for a decade (but the rest of that draft killed us I’d agree).

37 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I could see us winning 9 games and the last 3 drafts have produced more than just Sam. Jamal and Maye (if he stays healthy) will man the safety positions for a decade (but the rest of that draft killed us I’d agree).

Yeah, I was going to bring up Adams and Maye. I'm not positive, but I think they're the only two players from that draft still on the team? I just figured a tepid defense of Macc AND the mention of the Safety position in one post would send this off the rails.

BTW I played in a tournament yesterday, and just got caught up with this thread. I was you this time last year. I had just joined the site, and was questioning guys like @Paradis, @RobR @sec101row23 and others, exactly like you've been doing here. I think it was paradis who told me to go over and check out the draft threads.

I did, and followed what they were doing all year. I was wrong. They're really pretty good at it, and I learned some things from reading those posts. They aren't talking only about the obvious "name" guys, they're throwing out players they like in the 6 or 7 round, even guys worth a shot as UDFAs.

You're a smart guy, and the best part of those threads is something you'd probably like. For the most part, the conversations in those threads are usually pretty focused, they don't break down into the nonsense a lot of others do. My point is, they do have a lot to offer, give them a chance. I think you'll find you have a lot more in common with them then you don't.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, I was going to bring up Adams and Maye. I'm not positive, but I think they're the only two players from that draft still on the team? I just figured a tepid defense of Macc AND the mention of the Safety position in one post would send this off the rails.

BTW I played in a tournament yesterday, and just got caught up with this thread. I was you this time last year. I had just joined the site, and was questioning guys like @Paradis, @RobR @sec101row23 and others, exactly like you've been doing here. I think it was paradis who told me to go over and check out the draft threads.

I did, and followed what they were doing all year. I was wrong. They're really pretty good at it, and I learned some things from reading those posts. They aren't talking only about the obvious "name" guys, they're throwing out players they like in the 6 or 7 round, even guys worth a shot as UDFAs.

You're a smart guy, and the best part of those threads is something you'd probably like. For the most part, the conversations in those threads are usually pretty focused, they don't break down into the nonsense a lot of others do. My point is, they do have a lot to offer, give them a chance. I think you'll find you have a lot more in common with them then you don't.

I’ve had quite a few convos with @Paradis and he definitely knows his stuff (to the extent he can) but some of the other judgmental characters thinking they have a track record or think they are better than real GMs are just regurgitating what they read, reformatting it and passing it off as original in person analysis. 

That’s my point. Making calls from afar is easy because if you miss it doesn’t effect your livelihood. 

Some watch a lot more college football than others but they don’t have a staff that goes to games, campuses, houses, doctors, combines, pro days so as much as they THINK they know, their just guessing. Some guess better than others. 

Reading combine reports and actually being AT the combine give wildly different information. It’s just the way it is. Fans here CAN’T have the same level of information on players so as much of an expert as they think they are, they aren’t. They’re just slightly more educated fans. With draft guides.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sure...8 or 9 wins now that we have Vedvik!?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

So you KNEW! All of the bad ones. And you KNEW all of the good ones. Very impressive. Lol. 

Sorry that we have apparently lost respect for one another already. I liked you as a poster until you decided to go ad hominem instead of just talking. 

Anyway, I'm busy digging in for Dorian (Already got my parents, brother, and a few coworkers set), so I'll talk to you later. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sorry that we have apparently lost respect for one another already. I liked you as a poster until you decided to go ad hominem instead of just talking. 

Anyway, I'm busy digging in for Dorian (Already got my parents, brother, and a few coworkers set), so I'll talk to you later. 

Looks like I might be doing the same shortly. This isn't our first rodeo, but still... Stay safe my friend.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I’ve had quite a few convos with @Paradis and he definitely knows his stuff (to the extent he can) but some of the other judgmental characters thinking they have a track record or think they are better than real GMs are just regurgitating what they read, reformatting it and passing it off as original in person analysis. 

That’s my point. Making calls from afar is easy because if you miss it doesn’t effect your livelihood. 

Some watch a lot more college football than others but they don’t have a staff that goes to games, campuses, houses, doctors, combines, pro days so as much as they THINK they know, their just guessing. Some guess better than others. 

Reading combine reports and actually being AT the combine give wildly different information. It’s just the way it is. Fans here CAN’T have the same level of information on players so as much of an expert as they think they are, they aren’t. They’re just slightly more educated fans. With draft guides.  

This is an assumption that would seem to hold water, but doesn't in practice.  Because at the end of the day its ALWAYS a gamble and a guess.   A large consensus of fans, draft experts, scouting reporters, coaches etc., holds far more weight than one single GMs opinion of how to process the formation available.   Lee, Hackenberg, Polite...it goes on. Historically the mass consensus has been right far more often than the single outlier opinion.  Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino, the list goes on. GMs think they are smarter than everyone else .sometimes. and that becomes their downfall 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh stop. I love you dude. We can disagree about drafting crap but you’re one of the good guys. 

Good luck and stay safe. You dudes have my respect- my brothers are cops. You’re all too selfless. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The tracking has been all over the place.

Last year around this time I drove back down from Long Island, and about two weeks later they issued an evacuation order. I went back up and got back in the nick of time a week later. I had to take alternate routes from the Raleigh area on down (about 250 miles) and the roads were flooding rapidly from the upland rivers. I literally beat the closure of the last road into Myrtle Beach 30 minutes before it flooded out. It was scary as hell watching the water rise up as rapidly as it did.

I went up again this summer, and just got back down about ten days ago, so here we go again... I'm going to ride this one out though.

7 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

This is an assumption that would seem to hold water, but doesn't in practice.  Because at the end of the day its ALWAYS a gamble and a guess.   A large consensus of fans, draft experts, scouting reporters, coaches etc., holds far more weight than one single GMs opinion of how to process the formation available.   Lee, Hackenberg, Polite...it goes on. Historically the mass consensus has been right far more often than the single outlier opinion.  Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino, the list goes on. GMs think they are smarter than everyone else so.sometimes. and that becomes there downfall 

But it’s not just one GM. They have scouts and a staff 10x more in the know than anyone here. 

It just is. 

• Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Oh stop. I love you dude. We can disagree about drafting crap but you’re one of the good guys. 

Good luck and stay safe. You dudes have my respect- my brothers are cops. You’re all too selfless. 

He's a good dude. 

The first big "thing" I got into on this site was with him in the Terell Pryor thread early last season, and it was a doozy. We've had one or two others since, but I've also had more good talks and laughs with him and joenamathwouldntcry then probably anyone here.

We both agreed after that first one that in real life we'd probably get into a fist fight right away, but then have a beer and become friends forever. I still feel the same way, and I think he does too. The only thing that's changed is he's since posted a few pictures of himself. He's a gorilla, and I know he's big into power lifting. So instead of that bar fight, I think I'd just buy him a beer. He likes Stout, btw. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Polite went unclaimed off waivers and was signed to the Seahawks PS? Yikes. Didn’t see that until just now.

He'll be out of the league by the end of the season......maybe sooner. He had every red flag in the book before we drafted him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Pretty pathetic.  A third round pick clears waivers. Not one team thought they could do something with him.

7 hours ago, Dinamite said:

the fact that Polite went unclaimed suggests a major overdraft.

Crappy pick, obviously, but I think the major reason he wasn't claimed is that he was due another $3M on a four year deal (the Jets swallowed $1.12M in signing bonus money). If the Seahawks see something in him, they can elevate him for the league minimum now. Wouldn't be surprised to learn he had a few options. 

But yeah, not good. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Crappy pick, obviously, but I think the major reason he wasn't claimed is that he was due another $3M on a four year deal (the Jets swallowed $1.12M in signing bonus money). If the Seahawks see something in him, they can elevate him for the league minimum now. Wouldn't be surprised to learn he had a few options. 

But yeah, not good. 

None of that money would have been guaranteed. They could have cut him after one week and only paid him one game check.

The reason he wasn't claimed was because nobody thought he was deserving of a spot on a 53 man roster.  

1 minute ago, RobR said:

None of that money would have been guaranteed. They could have cut him after one week and only paid him one game check.

The reason he wasn't claimed was because nobody thought he was deserving of a spot on a 53 man roster.  

The reason was both. But no one was claiming him for that money. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

The reason was both. But no one was claiming him for that money. 

It was never about money because third rounders barely make more than a 7th rounder when it comes to salary and like you mentioned we already ate the signing bonus.

He went unclaimed because he was a terrible prospect that most, if not all teams had off of their draft board. He had every red flag in the book and I'll go out on a limb and say that Seattle will waive him before the season is over.