Polite cut

AbstraKt

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

I was an early Mac supporter, even thought this draft was not too bad. Boy was I wrong. Looking back now he’s one of the worst we’ve had. Bowles didn’t like him. Gase didn’t like him. Nobody in the building did. 

The firing after the draft makes total sense now. I ain’t even mad. 

Welcome to the right side of history my man!  Try to bring @Pac and @Peace Frogon board too when you get a chance.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They all f*ck up, but none at the mathematical rate that Macc did. Hence why he was objectively the worst GM in the NFL. It’s not even a question. No GM drafted a higher % of players who were out of the league 2-3 years later. At some point you have to pick good players once in a while. After all, it’s a “crapshoot”, right? Then why was he so “unlucky”, year in and year out?

The “it’s a crapshoot” argument only goes so far. For how often Macc failed, it was as if he was betting on the wrong side on purpose. Using @Paradis board each of the 5 drafts would have yielded far better results.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Welcome to the right side of history my man!  Try to bring @Pac and @Peace Frogon board too when you get a chance.  

23 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

^^^ I think you have severely mistook me for another poster because I have never suggested Mac was a great drafter, a good drafter or anything of that ilk.  Your Mac hate has leached into this conversation.  

Plus you completely missed my point.

Well done.  

Then what was your point?  How did I interpret the post below incorrectly?

It’s called every GM in the history of sports. 

They all f*ck up. 

Half the first round picks bust every year. 

Not just us. 

Unless you’re a SOJ douche. 

Which I know you’re not. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Then what was your point?  How did I interpret the post below incorrectly?

My point wasn’t about real GMs. 

No interest in rehashing 5 pages of BS.

Was not a Mac defender but you keep thinking that.  

Mac’s done. Have fun continuing to crucify a dead body. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll never be done counting the money he made here.  Meanwhile we're stuck with the mess he left behind.  So I'm quite enjoying it, thanks!

Was never my stance. Don’t lump me in with a crowd I was not a part of. 

Have your fun but it literally means nothing to me. 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The right side of history is the Jets are at best two months removed from being the dumbest-run organization in professional sports in a world that includes the Knicks and in all likelihood are probably still in the ballpark. How is that fun?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The right side of history is the Jets are at best two months removed from being the dumbest-run organization in professional sports in a world that includes the Knicks and in all likelihood are probably still in the ballpark. How is that fun?

Because we got it right this time!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

“Fun” is relative. I don’t run the team. I just like making jokes where I can. Especially at Mike Maccagnan’s expense. The jokes are fun. The losses are not. It’s all a matter of laughing to keep from crying.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:55 PM, TeddEY said:

Voice...

Of...

Reason.

You got me... Crazy... I never have seen something like that happen in my life. Thank god it seems that we have a stable Front Office at the moment and I hope the long term coach for the Jets. After seeing the Gase presser yesterday rolling his eyes about the Polite pick ' I don't remember' about being division in the draft room makes me realize how bad it must have been and Gase basically let Mac hang himself. 

• Upvote 2

Jachai Polite was utter disaster – and the Jets will regret passing on these 7 players to pick him

Updated 6:40 AM; Today 5:55 AM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Jachai Polite was an unmitigated disaster.

The Jets’ No. 68 overall pick became the only player selected in the third round to get cut this past weekend. Why?

“We wanted the best 53 and that’s where we ended up going,” head coach Adam Gase said. “We felt like that’s the roster we ended up with that was our best 53.”

OK, then.

It’s hard to imagine Polite wasn’t more talented than at least some of the players on the Jets’ current roster. But there’s no doubt that he didn’t live up to his billing as a first-round talent during training camp and the preseason.

In fact, Gase made it sound like it came down to either Polite or undrafted rookie defensive lineman Kyle Phillips. That, obviously, speaks volumes about what Polite brought to the table.

Gase also danced around questions about Polite’s reported fines, disciplinary issues and the notion of giving him a year to develop and mature.

Basically, the Jets want to forget about Polite as fast as possible. But, there’s no doubt that Jets fans will be thinking about that wasted draft pick for years to come – especially when they think about some of the guys they could have gotten, instead of the flameout they found.

Here are seven guys drafted within about 40 picks of Polite, all of whom could have reasonably been drafted by the Jets with that early third-round selection. We’re not digging deep for seventh-round gems, here. We’re keeping this in the realm of possibility and examining guys that the Jets could have on their roster right now, who could have provided some real value right off the bat in 2019:

EDGE Chase Winovich, Patriots (Round 3, No. 77)

The second former general manager Mike Maccagnan drafted Polite, questions started circling about why he didn’t go after Winovich, instead. Sure, he didn’t post 11 sacks in the SEC. But Winovich was clearly a high-motor, high-IQ player – in perfect contrast to the red flags about Polite’s hustle and character. Basically, Winovich is the anti-Polite. Nothing flashy, but gritty and solid. He’s proven to be just that for the Patriots so far this preseason – and now the Jets are doomed to watch him within the division for at least a few years to come.

CB David Long, Rams (Round 3, No. 79)

There’s no secret that the Jets could use cornerback help. Really, they only have five on the roster right now and there’s a serious talent deficiency at the position. Shockingly, general manager Joe Douglas didn’t overhaul the position via waivers. There’s still a chance he could make some free-agent moves, but at this point significant churn seems unlikely. That makes passing on cornerbacks in the draft look even more ridiculous. Technically, the Jets did select Bless Austin in the sixth round – but he’s recovering from an ACL tear and likely to take this as a redshirt year. Failing to address this need an infuse young talent was a mistake then and remains a mistake now. The Jets could sure use a 21-year-old with talent at this position. Instead, they were forced to trade a sixth-round pick for Nate Hairston. Gulp.

CB Justin Layne, Steelers (Round 3, No. 83)

All the points we just made still ring true here. Layne is banged up right now, but he’s set to back up Joe Haden and Steven Nelson in the Steelers’ defensive backfield. If he can handle filling in the gaps behind those guys, surely he could have done the same for Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts – with an eye toward taking over one of their jobs in a year or two. That’s the biggest thing the Jets’ cornerback room is currently missing – potential future contributors.

EDGE Jaylon Ferguson, Ravens (Round 3, No. 85)

Still think the Jets needed an edge rusher, just got the wrong one? Well, Ferguson could have been the right one, then. He may not make a big impact for the Ravens this season – and maybe he wouldn’t have contributed much in Florham Park, either. But coaches in Baltimore have been encouraged by his progress as he transitions from Louisiana Tech to the NFL. In other words, he’s showing promise, growth and work ethic – something Polite never did during his time with the Jets, apparently.

WR Miles Boykin, Ravens (Round 3, No. 93)

Let’s move away from defense for a second. Wideout is another big hole on this Jets roster – and another one that went unaddressed during the draft. Now, Boykin is poised to be a legitimate contributor for the Ravens. The Jets, meanwhile, have three legitimate receivers. Then, they’re relying on Josh Bellamy and Braxton Berrios – both of whom are far better known for their work on special teams than as actual offensive contributors.

EDGE Oshane Ximines, Giants (Round 3, No. 95)

Sick of hearing about guys with “potential” or a “chance to contribute?" Well, Ximines is in line to be a situational pass rusher for the Giants as a rookie. Sure, the talent on that defense has been whittled down. But it’s not like the Jets are stacked on the edge, either. The Old Dominion product could be pinning his ears back in green and white right now. Instead, he’s across town.

CB Kendall Sheffield, Falcons (Round 4, No. 111)

Again, cornerback is a disaster for the Jets. But in Atlanta, Sheffield is contending for the No. 4 corner job. He would have been arguably the most physically gifted corner on the Jets’ roster, had they taken him. He’s unbelievably fast and explosive, with decent size at 5-foot-11 and 193 pounds. He could use some polish, sure, but he has traits you can’t teach.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jachai Polite was utter disaster – and the Jets will regret passing on these 7 players to pick him

The Jets’ No. 68 overall pick became the only player selected in the third round to get cut this past weekend. Why?

“We wanted the best 53 and that’s where we ended up going,” head coach Adam Gase said. “We felt like that’s the roster we ended up with that was our best 53.”

OK, then.

It’s hard to imagine Polite wasn’t more talented than at least some of the players on the Jets’ current roster. But there’s no doubt that he didn’t live up to his billing as a first-round talent during training camp and the preseason.

In fact, Gase made it sound like it came down to either Polite or undrafted rookie defensive lineman Kyle Phillips. That, obviously, speaks volumes about what Polite brought to the table.

Gase also danced around questions about Polite’s reported fines, disciplinary issues and the notion of giving him a year to develop and mature.

Basically, the Jets want to forget about Polite as fast as possible. But, there’s no doubt that Jets fans will be thinking about that wasted draft pick for years to come – especially when they think about some of the guys they could have gotten, instead of the flameout they found.

Here are seven guys drafted within about 40 picks of Polite, all of whom could have reasonably been drafted by the Jets with that early third-round selection. We’re not digging deep for seventh-round gems, here. We’re keeping this in the realm of possibility and examining guys that the Jets could have on their roster right now, who could have provided some real value right off the bat in 2019:

The second former general manager Mike Maccagnan drafted Polite, questions started circling about why he didn’t go after Winovich, instead. Sure, he didn’t post 11 sacks in the SEC. But Winovich was clearly a high-motor, high-IQ player – in perfect contrast to the red flags about Polite’s hustle and character. Basically, Winovich is the anti-Polite. Nothing flashy, but gritty and solid. He’s proven to be just that for the Patriots so far this preseason – and now the Jets are doomed to watch him within the division for at least a few years to come.

There’s no secret that the Jets could use cornerback help. Really, they only have five on the roster right now and there’s a serious talent deficiency at the position. Shockingly, general manager Joe Douglas didn’t overhaul the position via waivers. There’s still a chance he could make some free-agent moves, but at this point significant churn seems unlikely. That makes passing on cornerbacks in the draft look even more ridiculous. Technically, the Jets did select Bless Austin in the sixth round – but he’s recovering from an ACL tear and likely to take this as a redshirt year. Failing to address this need an infuse young talent was a mistake then and remains a mistake now. The Jets could sure use a 21-year-old with talent at this position. Instead, they were forced to trade a sixth-round pick for Nate Hairston. Gulp.

All the points we just made still ring true here. Layne is banged up right now, but he’s set to back up Joe Haden and Steven Nelson in the Steelers’ defensive backfield. If he can handle filling in the gaps behind those guys, surely he could have done the same for Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts – with an eye toward taking over one of their jobs in a year or two. That’s the biggest thing the Jets’ cornerback room is currently missing – potential future contributors.

Still think the Jets needed an edge rusher, just got the wrong one? Well, Ferguson could have been the right one, then. He may not make a big impact for the Ravens this season – and maybe he wouldn’t have contributed much in Florham Park, either. But coaches in Baltimore have been encouraged by his progress as he transitions from Louisiana Tech to the NFL. In other words, he’s showing promise, growth and work ethic – something Polite never did during his time with the Jets, apparently.

Let’s move away from defense for a second. Wideout is another big hole on this Jets roster – and another one that went unaddressed during the draft. Now, Boykin is poised to be a legitimate contributor for the Ravens. The Jets, meanwhile, have three legitimate receivers. Then, they’re relying on Josh Bellamy and Braxton Berrios – both of whom are far better known for their work on special teams than as actual offensive contributors.

Sick of hearing about guys with “potential” or a “chance to contribute?" Well, Ximines is in line to be a situational pass rusher for the Giants as a rookie. Sure, the talent on that defense has been whittled down. But it’s not like the Jets are stacked on the edge, either. The Old Dominion product could be pinning his ears back in green and white right now. Instead, he’s across town.

Again, cornerback is a disaster for the Jets. But in Atlanta, Sheffield is contending for the No. 4 corner job. He would have been arguably the most physically gifted corner on the Jets’ roster, had they taken him. He’s unbelievably fast and explosive, with decent size at 5-foot-11 and 193 pounds. He could use some polish, sure, but he has traits you can’t teach.

Winovich, Long, Layne , Boykin... All could have improved this team... I wanted Winovich... Was a bit scared of Long after the injury,,, Thought Layne was ok but there is a bust chance there... and I like Boykin but with no edge this was less of a priority.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Winovich, Long, Layne , Boykin... All could have improved this team... I wanted Winovich... Was a bit scared of Long after the injury,,, Thought Layne was ok but there is a bust chance there... and I like Boykin but with no edge this was less of a priority.

I agree. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, Samtorobby47 said:

I was an early Mac supporter, even thought this draft was not too bad. Boy was I wrong. Looking back now he’s one of the worst we’ve had. Bowles didn’t like him. Gase didn’t like him. Nobody in the building did. 

The firing after the draft makes total sense now. I ain’t even mad. 

i didn't like the way the jets were having a revolving door at coach and gm.  i certainly was willing to give mac some chances to succeed.  i think i waited at least one season too long to realize he just wasn't bringing in the right players.  good riddance.

i can only hope i can be patient enough with douglas and gase.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, joewilly12 said:

OK, then.

that's a pretty good list.  i guess about the only thing to be said about polite is that he did come from a big time program and did have some good stats against top competition.  but for a guy like that to fall so far mac needed to wonder why and pass.  who knows where polite might have been drafted at.  at least he wouldn't been a jet.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:32 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Vlad Ducasse, Yovanovitz, Schlegel, Pagel, Frost, McKnight, McDougle.... All time busts? Really?

I could go on and on. Those are all guys that I (and others) knew immediately were just completely wasted, thrown away picks. I could make the case about every team in the league making blunder after blunder, and the fact that guys here could ABSOLUTELY do better than many of the piss poor employees of NFL teams making terrible decisions. But you've chosen a hill to die on, and I feel no further obligation to go back in time and analyze 30 years of personnel decisions that I and others immediately stated were poor decisions and format them into a spreadsheet with citations for you. LOL.

By your logic here, none of us should criticize government either because they're the "Pros", and we're just armchair whatevers. Right? They have more information  than us! Or how dare we question or criticize media and journalists because they are, after all, the "Pros" with more information than us....

Go to a preseason game, or visit the Senior Bowl some time. Go meet those "informed" geniuses working for the NFL. I suggest going early, before they're all drunk at the hotel bar. And dont mind the mustard and nacho stains on their shirts....

Absolutely!!!  The Panthers GM is a member of my golf club. Told me that Geno and Dee Milner were STEALS and the Jets did great. Trust me, he is an ordinary guy.  The Bills GM was my intern in 1996 in a CPA firm.   Haven't seen him in 20 years but as a young kid, he seemed bright but nothing special.  We draft Wilson when Sanchez needed Gronk, passed on many good QB's that would have sured us up.  Most of these GM's are full of shlt in the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Absolutely!!!  The Panthers GM is a member of my golf club. Told me that Geno and Dee Milner were STEALS and the Jets did great. Trust me, he is an ordinary guy.  The Bills GM was my intern in 1996 in a CPA firm.   Haven't seen him in 20 years but as a young kid, he seemed bright but nothing special.  We draft Wilson when Sanchez needed Gronk, passed on many good QB's that would have sured us up.  Most of these GM's are full of shlt in the draft.

I much prefer ex players as GM's. I think they are much better suited to seperating the real deals from the posers. It is why I think the Ozzie Smith was so effective. I'm hopeful that our GM, as a guy that played some, has that same innate ability.

Just shows what I know.  Yes, I understood that he was probably lazy but his college tape didn't show lazy to me.  He looked pretty damned determined to get to the QB and strip the ball.  (In contrast, in Gholston's college tape he struck me as extraordinarily lazy on the field.)  It shows that among many other things that I'm not good at, looking at tape is another one of them.