Polite cut

AbstraKt

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I much prefer ex players as GM's. I think they are much better suited to seperating the real deals from the posers. It is why I think the Ozzie Smith was so effective. I'm hopeful that our GM, as a guy that played some, has that same innate ability.

Perhaps but Matt Millen comes to mind.  I’m a BIG believer in the money ball approach. Complex Models based on needs, history, prior year points allowed points scored , school, etc.  NO Model would have drafted Hack in second round, Kyle Wilson, Vlad etc.  It’s why index funds by and large trounce managed funds. Remove emotion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Perhaps but Matt Millen comes to mind.  I’m a BIG believer in the money ball approach. Complex Models based on needs, history, prior year points allowed points scored , school, etc.  NO Model would have drafted Hack in second round, Kyle Wilson, Vlad etc.  It’s why index funds by and large trounce managed funds. Remove emotion. 

I'm Ok with that, so long as ex players are the primary evaluaters.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2019 at 5:36 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Welcome to the right side of history my man!  Try to bring @Pac and @Peace Frogon board too when you get a chance.  

Or jet nut who gave me forever the argument that they are pros, we are fans, bla bla bla.   I notice he is silent as even the biggest Jets fans can’t deny that we followed Idzik with a worse GM. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:09 PM, Pac said:

This thread will go about 20 pages and some people can't go 3 posts without whining about Macc on a given day.  Rest assured there will be thousands of future posts disparaging him.  You'll get much more than a "little time on it".

I'm occasionally embarrassed for some posters if that's what you mean.

Paccagnan strikes again......

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, genot said:

Polite's career isn't over. If he doesn't change his attitude it will be. Everybody though Devin smith's career was over. Is it. How many on this board thought he was a bust, and would never play a down in the N.F.L, again.

Devin Smith's problem was always staying healthy.  He was always pretty talented.

The only thing keeping Polite in the mix is his tape at Florida.  His athleticism is in question as well as his attitude.  It's almost impossible to overcome BOTH of those areas of weakness.  An athlete with questionable character gets second and 3rd chances.  A hard-working, high character player might get some chances even if he has limited athleticism. 

A pass rusher with neither athleticism NOR motor/work ethic?  No shot at making it in this league.  

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Devin Smith's problem was always staying healthy.  He was always pretty talented.

The only thing keeping Polite in the mix is his tape at Florida.  His athleticism is in question as well as his attitude.  It's almost impossible to overcome BOTH of those areas of weakness.  An athlete with questionable character gets second and 3rd chances.  A hard-working, high character player might get some chances even if he has limited athleticism. 

A pass rusher with neither athleticism NOR motor/work ethic?  No shot at making it in this league.  

His game tape, and production is what scouts noticed when they projected him to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. his attitude and lack of work ethic is what got him cut. Im not saying he's gonna make it in the league. im saying, it's too early to say his career is over. I read the multitude of posts busting Mac for the Smith and Mauldin picks. I posted a bunch of times that it was unfair to bust mac on players who couldn't stay healthy.

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He's a lazy dead beat young kid the world is full of them.

He is now. no doubt about that. He needs someone in his life to show him the way. He has a world of natural ability. I would rather have Polite on the practice squad for a year, than Roberts on the active roster, chasing down wide receivers that he can't cover.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, genot said:

His game tape, and production is what scouts noticed when they projected him to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. his attitude and lack of work ethic is what got him cut. Im not saying he's gonna make it in the league. im saying, it's too early to say his career is over. I read the multitude of posts busting Mac for the Smith and Mauldin picks. I posted a bunch of times that it was unfair to bust mac on players who couldn't stay healthy.

Mauldin had stiff hips and no athleticism.  That's why he was a bad pick.  You don't draft pass rushers who aren't athletic.  Period.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Mauldin had stiff hips and no athleticism.  That's why he was a bad pick.  You don't draft pass rushers who aren't athletic.  Period.  

I remember at the end of his rookie year, he was applying a lot of pressure on QB's. Then he kept getting hurt.