Polite cut

AbstraKt

Just now, RobR said:

I loved Falk the junior even with the legitimate concerns about his arm strength. Then his senior year rolled around and he held onto the ball FOREVER and I'm not sure why. Maybe if I had more resources #armchair GM 

And here's where I agree with you. 

I watched every Luke Falk game 1/2 his sophomore year and every game junior and senior year. 

Junior year he was Pennington-armed but accurate and smart. Loved him. Surgical, commanded that offense. 

Never thought we’d have a shot at Sam, Baker or Rosen so I thought it was between him and Rudolph (watched all his games too). 

Senior year Falk lost it. Tentative, no awareness, threw the ball all over the yard. Threw 5 picks against Cal, got benched twice for the kid that sadly committed suicide.

He can efficiently run an offense. I want him as our number 2. 

But I’m no expert. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Or maybe if you talked to his high school coach.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s strange because his Dad told me he had questionable decision making ability.  

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

I talked to his mom and she said he was good. 

Tyler Hilinski’s parents or HS coach might have had insight you “experts” didn’t have. 

I gotta buy more magazines. 

58 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Seriously?

They’re all guessing. 

Nobody here has access to what real NFL GMs and front office people and execs have. 

Access to college coaches, scouts, trainers, agents, other front office execs, film, other coaches, teammates, other players, combines, pro days, medical records everything.

You’re f*cking joking if think some dudes here can do the same job or better. 

These chooches pick up a magazine in March, watch YouTube videos and proclaim themselves experts. 

With “track records” holy sh*t LOLworthy. 

I've been a Jets fan since the 1970s...but I didn't really pay attention to the draft until around the mid 90s. And in the time that I've been paying attention to the Jets, their drafting, and the players they've picked over the years, I am very, VERY comfortable in saying the for the most part, the guy in the yellow and red striped shirt at the "83 draft who memorably said, "I guess the Jets knew something we don't know" after they took O'Brien over Marino, or anyone in the crowd at RC chanting "We want Sapp!!" knew more than the Jets GM at the time. 

As a matter of fact, over the past 10 years, if YOU had taken a Street and Smith's or Mel Kipers list, or PFF or WHATEVER draft guide, and just drafted the best player available listed on the guide and read the "Team Needs" box, you would have done a better job than the absolute sh*t show of failure we have been subjected to since 2008 or so. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Q, Edoga, Cashman all playing well.. Not sure where Wesco is but seems to be doing ok.

Austin a mystery but could be a great pick once fully recovered.

The draft has had 1 bust assuming Polite isn't brought back on the PS.  If people want to pretend it's the worst draft ever that's on them.

5 potentially awful drafts in a row. 5.

Playoff roster!

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

We finally have a FO that understands football.

Still think it’s dumb.  You have to give an edge rusher time to develop Melvin Ingram didn’t do sh-t his first three years in the nfl now everyone swears they were his biggest guru in 2012

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Still think it’s dumb.  You have to give an edge rusher time to develop Melvin Ingram didn’t do sh-t his first three years in the nfl now everyone swears they were his biggest guru in 2012

I'm not going down this road again....it's all in the Polite threads.

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Seriously?

They’re all guessing. 

Nobody here has access to what real NFL GMs and front office people and execs have. 

Access to college coaches, scouts, trainers, agents, other front office execs, film, other coaches, teammates, other players, combines, pro days, medical records everything.

These chooches pick up a magazine in March, watch YouTube videos and proclaim themselves experts. 

This is BS.  The GMs are "guessing" too.  They have access to much more than us armchair GMs.

Those that put in time to watch youtube film... many have been watching this sport for several decades.  Totally dismissing the ability to evaluate a player is both unfair, and insulting.  

@Paradis

and others put in time and effort  to offer their opinions on players.  They are often right.  Not always, but neither are the actual GMs.

Go back and read my reports on Jameis, Mariota, Wentz, Goff, and Lynch when the Jets were desperate for a QB.  See if they are worth anything 3 to 4 years later.   The only one I missed was Mariota.   Badly I might add...

Or how I sat in the stands in the Swamp in Gainesville, watched one game of his, and knew Preston Williams was a baller and yet the 32 real GMs passed on him at least 6 or 7 times.  I wrote about that one in the draft forum.   And no he hasnt played yet, but I know it... and now so do the Dolphins.

I missed badly on Odell Beckham Jr.  I thought he was just OK.  I missed on Michael Thomas.   Didnt see anything special there either. 

The point is this.  This is all just educated guessing.  But to say that the "armchair GMs" are guessing with no education after watching football for 20-40 years is simply untrue.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

In his rookie campaign, Ingram racked up 18 quarterback pressures, tied for second-most on the squad, along with 12 special teams tackles, which tied for the team lead. He played in all 16 games, with two starts.

On May 14, 2013, Ingram tore his anterior cruciate ligament during the Chargers' organized team activities and was expected to miss the entire 2013 season.[7] On August 26, 2013, he was placed on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list.[8] On December 7, 2013, Ingram was activated off the PUP list prior to Week 14. In Week 16, Ingram sacked Raiders quarterback Matt McGloin while forcing a fumble. In the wild card game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Ingram picked off Quarterback Andy Dalton for his first postseason Interception. 

Yeah, he really sucked. LOL.

Ingram was known as a guy with a ridiculous "motor" who loves playing football, and was the heart of his team at South Carolina. 

Polite is a guy with a sh*t attitude, unable to hold himself accountable, didn't bother to prepare for the combine, showed up fat, slow, and with a chip on his shoulder, and then QUIT. He blamed everything on a phantom hamstring injury and his agent, trainers, and anyone else around, but showed up even worse at his Pro Day. And then he sleep walked through the Preseason. Please. Hes Gholston 2.0, 10 cent head, but no million dollar body. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is BS.  The GMs are "guessing" too.  They have access to much more than us armchair GMs.

Those that put in time to watch youtube film... many have been watching this sport for several decades.  Totally dismissing the ability to evaluate a player is both unfair, and insulting.  

@Paradis

and others put in time and effort  to offer their opinions on players.  They are often right.  Not always, but neither are the actual GMs.

Go back and read my reports on Jameis, Mariota, Wentz, Goff, and Lynch when the Jets were desperate for a QB.  See if they are worth anything 3 to 4 years later.   The only one I missed was Mariota.   Badly I might add...

Or how I sat in the stands in the Swamp in Gainesville, watched one game of his, and knew Preston Williams was a baller and yet the 32 real GMs passed on him at least 6 or 7 times.  I wrote about that one in the draft forum.   And no he hasnt played yet, but I know it... and now so do the Dolphins.

I missed badly on Odell Beckham Jr.  I thought he was just OK.  I missed on Michael Thomas.   Didnt see anything special there either. 

The point is this.  This is all just educated guessing.  But to say that the "armchair GMs" are guessing with no education after watching football for 20-40 years is simply untrue.

So you think dudes watching YouTube videos know more than professional NFL front office personnel. Who have ALSO been watching football for 20-40 years with intimately MORE access.

Sounds legit. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Seriously?

They’re all guessing. 

why are you so worked up? I missed to the start to this whole thing, but philosophically, you have far more in common with the people in this thread, than not. You're supposed to one of the good guys, man. 

And you're wrong about your portrayal of the draft nerds here. This is a different day and age. You can get access to all-22 coaches film, integrate into a group of online media scouts that do draft work for various sites - whom have far more insight that you get from magazines... I literally emailed a college head coach and got full game tapes sent to me this spring.

While you're right, we don't have the fulsome picture a team gets (especially with character stuff like interviews and chalk talk), you don't always need it. Read the book BLINK by Gladwell. People are capable of making incredibly accurate assessments without paralysis by analysis. 

There are definitely people here, myself included, who would have drafted circles around our last 2-3 GMs 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So you think dudes watching YouTube videos know more than professional NFL front office personnel. Who have ALSO been watching football for 20-40 years with intimately MORE access.

Sounds legit. 

Full game tapes. From the Coach. 

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Sounds legit. 

Where did I say "know more?"

I am simply disputing your contention that YouTube guy knows nothing and that his evaluation should be dismissed as useless with a laugh.  Which is basically what you are saying.

I am telling you that YouTube guy is correct too often to be ignored.

• Upvote 1