***Official NY JETS Waiver Wire Signing Thread ***

joewilly12

54 minutes ago, PepPep said:

PS candidate IMO. He could still turn into something. I was def. one of the ones who thought fans turned on him way too soon. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I would agree but literally 31 other teams don't think he's worthy of the 53rd spot on their rosters.  AND, he plays a premium position where teams tend to be a little more forgiving and willing to develop guys because of the impact they can have if the amount to something.

I'd actually put the odds at 50/50 that he gets to the PS.  He may have been so lost out there that the Jets don't think he's salvageable.  

Minnesota Vikings were wise to identify Kaare Vedvik’s value

The Minnesota Vikings traded a 2020 fifth round pick to the Baltimore Ravens for Kaare Vedvik. Props are in order for the Vikings for realizing his value.

If there’s one thing that NFL teams should’ve learned by now it’s that the value of a quality kicker cannot be overlooked. While some may say that kickers are “a dime a dozen,” there’s simply no replacing someone who you can trust when it matters most. This is what made Baltimore Ravens backup kicker Kaare Vedvik such a hot commodity over the last week.

Ravens fans are surely familiar with Vedvik by now. After missing his rookie season due to a vicious attack in the streets of Baltimore, Maryland, Vedvik returned stronger than ever this off-season and looked like a high-end kicker in the first week of the 2019 preseason. Naturally, a player that already had interested teams was suddenly the talk of the town.

Kaare Vedvik was suddenly that best sweepstakes of the last month, and he had many suitors. The Chicago Bears seemed to be the front runners to land Vedvik, especially after the heartbreaking loss the suffered in the 2018 season playoffs due to kicking woes. However, it was their division rivals, the Minnesota Vikings, who would swoop in and land Vedvik. It wasn’t cheap either, as the Vikings forked over a 2020 fifth round draft choice.

This is certainly a large investment in a kicker who remains unproven. Considering Minnesota recently resigned kicker Dan Bailey, it seemed odd that they’d go all-in on Kaare Vedvik. But you know what? Good for them.

Like the Bears the Vikings have also had kicker problems for quite some time. This dates all the way back to the late-90s when Gary Andersen choked a Super Bowl berth for the team. Even as recently as 2014 Blair Walsh missed what should’ve been a chip-shot field goal to beat the Seattle Seahawks. If any team in NFL history knows how devastating it is too lose because of a missed kick, it’s the Minnesota Vikings.

That’s exactly why props should be handed over to the Vikings for addressing this incredibly overlooked need. There are so few “clutch” kickers in the NFL today, and the team’s always contending for championships have those guys. The Minnesota Vikings are a very talented team, both offensively and defensively.

Now, thanks to the addition of Kaare Vedvik, they don’t have to stress out over getting into close games. With his addition to the team, Minnesota now has a weapon to score all over the field. Vedvik has a powerful leg and can easily boot 50+ yard field goals. If he can prove to be clutch when it matters, this is easily a fantastic move by the Vikings front office.

If anyone is worried about giving up a fifth round draft choice in a talented draft class for a kicker, rest assured that they bet their money on the right horse. Kaare Vedvik could be something special, and I firmly believe he is already the best kicker in the NFC North. Congratulations to the Minnesota Vikings for landing Kaare Vedvik, and major props for not being afraid to address an important need.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

This makes me happy.

I like this kid, chose him in the Adopt a Jet thread this time last year. He's actually younger then Sam, and I think he's shown so much more production and potential then some guys ahead of him on our WR depth chart.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The biggest surprise for the Rams was the release of Franklin-Myers, last year’s fourth-round pick. He wasn’t an impactful player as a rookie in 2018, but he did play well in the playoffs and had a strip-sack in the Super Bowl. He was viewed as a raw prospect when he was drafted out of Stephen F. Austin, which makes his release shocking.

Franklin-Myers can play defensive end and outside linebacker, which increased his value to the Rams. However, the team opted to keep Morgan Fox instead, who will back up Michael Brockers.

If Franklin-Myers clears waivers – which is far from guaranteed – he’s a perfect candidate for the practice squad.

Imagine that.  A 2018 rookie, goes to the Super Bowl his first year and gets a strip sack of Tom Brady.  Then gets released 6 months later.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

This makes me happy.

I like this kid, chose him in the Adopt a Jet thread this time last year. He's actually younger then Sam, and I think he's shown so much more production and potential then some guys ahead of him on our WR depth chart.

So you're saying in a round about way that you bought his jersey. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Read the reviews on Vedveck guys that do this type of thing for a living, he's a better option than Bertolet. 

Glad JD woke up!!!!!!

I dont need to read reviews.  Do you understand how bad you have to be for a franchise to trade a 5th round pick and you cant even last 3 weeks.

Vedvek makes bertolet look like morten anderson.  Wake up Joe D!!!

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, 14 in Green said:

This makes me happy.

He might be a good kid but How long do you keep a guy around until he develops?

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont need to read reviews.  Do you understand how bad you have to be for a franchise to trade a 5th round pick and you cant even last 3 weeks.

Vedvek makes bertolet look like morten anderson.  Wake up Joe D!!!

So teams don't make mistakes and give up too early on a player. The Ravens didn't need him traded him to the Vikings where maybe they gave up on him way too fast. Hopefully the NY Jets benefit immensely from this move. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

It's just that they kept 8 D-linemen and 5 WRs, they cut Burnett and kept Shepherd, Phillips, and Fatukasi. It's one thing if Burnett was really teetering to make the roster, but the dude was balling. If the plan is to bring in a 6th WRs anyway via waiver wire, they will have to cut one of the D-linemen anyway. So I just don't get it. They did the same thing at CB- keeping 5. At least at CB it makes more sense b/c the players at that 6th spot WERE teetering on the brink of being cut. I was so baffled by it I posted a separate thread about it. LOL.  

I guess this is the reason why they cut Burnett.  Similar skill set, and he returns punts

ocpiece1564095401788_7000k_1920x1080_1576719939713.jpg

Patriots WR Braxton Berrios has an opportunity to build on two strong days in Detroit

DETROIT — Phillip Dorsett remembers when Braxton Berrios was a teenager. The two were teammates at the University of Miami. Dorsett was a senior who was about to become a first-round pick. Berrios was a diminutive freshman with big-time skill who made enough of an impact that eventually he was starting. 

It wasn't always the smoothest ride to the starting lineup for Berrios, Dorsett recalled this week. But even then, it didn't take long for Dorsett to understand that his younger teammate had a mindset that would give him staying power.

Bad plays came and went. Berrios kept running routes crisply, kept getting open, kept catching footballs. It's an approach he's maintained and it's served him well this summer in his second training camp with the Patriots. 

"I think that's what makes a lot of guys in the NFL pretty good because they're able to throw those things in the back of their mind," Dorsett said. "When stuff don't go your way, you gotta have a short-term memory and go out there and make the next play. I always say, if you make the next play, the last play don't matter."

Things weren't going Berrios' way from the outset of camp. On Day 1 of practices on the fields behind Gillette Stadium, one target sent his way was picked. Another was broken up. He had a drop on Day 2. A few days later he had three targets broken up by every just about every slot corner on the depth chart — Jonthan Jones, Duke Dawson, D'Angelo Ross) — and another drop. 

Not ideal. Particularly for a receiver trying to bounce back from a season off. He spent last year on injured reserve after being drafted in the seventh round, and he bounced back this year with some strong work during OTAs and minicamp this spring. 

Even he would acknowledge that not every opportunity early in camp has gone the way he's wanted, but that mindset that suited him so well at Miami is one he continues to ply as a pro. 

"As a competitor it's tough because all you wanna do is show what you're capable of every single time," Berrios said Tuesday. "Whether it's a missed block, or a wrong route, or a drop . . . you have to learn that there is the next play. 

"You always hear that. You hear that in basketball, baseball, football. Play the next play. Don't worry about it. That's something, especially at this level, where you want to do something at such a high level and because you're here, you know you can. And it's something you have to get used to. You have to understand that, 'Hey, the guy on the other side he gets paid too. He's here for a reason too.' It's definitely something that you have to understand and take step by step."

Berrios has taken nothing but positive steps since arriving in Michigan for joint practices with the Lions this week. We highlighted his work with Tom Brady in our Postcard from Camp on Tuesday, but he was one of the team's best receivers on both days of competitive joint work with Detroit. 

He snapped off routes to create big-time separation in one-on-one periods, connecting with Brady five times in those situations over two days. Brady completed five more passes to Berrios in hurry-up periods. On one of their last hook-ups, Berrios ended up in the end zone, and Brady chased him down for a celebratory head-butt. 

On Thursday night, Berrios likely won't be working alongside Brady since many Patriots starters aren't expected to play. But he should see some early reps — he was taking first-team snaps with Dorsett and undrafted rookie Jakobi Meyers in Wednesday's walkthrough — at Ford Field and he'll have an opportunity to continue to put good moments on tape. 

It's still plenty early. Though he has his work cut out for him as he battles for a roster spot with the likes of Meyers and Maurice Harris — two of the most impressive Patriots receivers in camp — there are about three more weeks of work left for Berrios to show the Patriots that he's worth a shot at the active roster. Not only might he be next-in-line to fill the low-cut slot receiver job they've had every year since Troy Brown's prime, but he could provide some value as a punt-returner as well. 

Berrios isn't getting that far ahead of himself. He knows there will continue to be ups and downs. How he responds is all he's worried about. 

"You gotta come out here and you gotta perform at a certain level every single day," he said. "Some days you might exceed it. Some days you might fall short. But everything's a lesson. Getting a little bit better each day. Not making the same mistake twice. . . . That's the goal."

• Sympathy 1

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

He might be a good kid but How long do you keep a guy around until he develops?

He showed out pretty well when he got on the field at the end of last year. There were times he looked like our best WR out there.

Gase doesn't seem to think much of him as a player. If I were him, I'd look to sign elsewhere before I came back here. I'm as far from an expert as anyone could be, but I really feel he should've been valued more then he was by this CS.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I liked him at the U. A gritty player 

I like him too.  I was hoping the Pats would be able to keep him.  A couple of UDFA's surprisingly emerged at the WR and returner positions and he got caught in a numbers game.  Think he is a worthwhile pickup for the Jets. 

4 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

I like him too.  I was hoping the Pats would be able to keep him.  A couple of UDFA's surprisingly emerged at the WR and returner positions and he got caught in a numbers game.  Think he is a worthwhile pickup for the Jets. 

We need all the help we can get. While your team’s dumping players, how about winovich?

18 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He was great for the Ravens, give him a shot here. Even the great Jason Myers had a game when he missed two xtra points and a FG

Prior to last year Myers didn't do too well... that's why the Jets were able to pick him up in late last summer.