Braxton Berrios needs his own thread

jetstream23

Interesting signing.  I think he was the victim of the numbers game and depth at WR on New England.  Sneaky good player taken in the 2018 Draft who had a couple injuries this preseason and was pushed out by a returning Josh Gordon and guys like Phil Dorset, obviously Edelman, maybe Demyrius Thomas, etc.

Pre-Draft article from April 2018 talking about his fit with the Pats.  Seems like a poor man's Welker/Edelman/Amendola.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/4/20/17243190/2018-nfl-draft-top-10-fits-4-miami-slot-receiver-braxton-berrios

The Patriots are currently looking for their next great slot receiver after Danny Amendola left in free agency. Earlier on my Top 10, I listed Trey Quinn as a viable option but he was low on the list because he played in a mid-major conference and doesn’t have experience returning punts. However, those two problems aren’t an issue for Braxton Berrios, who played against ACC competition at the University of Miami and was their main punt returner for his final 3 years there. 

There’s no combine data from Berrios, but his pro day he was clocked in at 4.44 in the 40, with 1.59 and 2.59 10 and 20 yard splits, a 4.18 5-10-5 shuttle, and 6.72 3-cone. Those are all solid measurables for a slot receiver and punt returner.

In this game, Berrios was Malik Rosier’s safety valve on 3rd downs or red zone. Berrios seems to have the subtleties to route running already down, little things such as body positioning, driving a defender off the route at the top of the stem, and knowing how much he can push off without getting penalized. His lack of size and length probably limits him to slot receiver only in the NFL, but he’d be a great slot receiver nonetheless. In the run game, Berrios is a willing blocker and sets up his blocks well.

Concerns

Berrios is a pure slot receiver, which means he has a limited fit in most offenses. However, given the nature of how the Patriots utilized similar players to Berrios in Wes Welker and Danny Amendola, he could very much carve out a niche in this offense. Lack of size and length means Berrios has to win with route running and quickness in the NFL similar to the two aforementioned players. Berrios isn’t a player the Patriots should select before Day 3 of the draft although I think he could be a great value pickup.

Rookie Year Projection

Jordan Matthews is the Patriots starting slot receiver going into training camp as far as I’m concerned, so Berrios will primarily handle punt returns as a rookie with the occasional snaps on offense. In his rookie camp, Berrios will have to compete for one of the last jobs at the position with the 4-year veteran. Should Berrios beat out Matthews for a roster spot, he’d be behind Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, and Malcolm Mitchell on the depth chart.

Long Term Projection

Berrios would be the team’s punt returner and slot receiver in the offense, a similar role that Troy Brown, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edelman have had in the past. His quickness is an asset at both spots. Berrios’ job would be running option routes to take advantage of coverages, mostly to the middle of the field, to move the chains. 

Grade: 4/5 Future Starter

Player Comp: Wes Welker

Berrios is the closest prospect from a measurable standpoints from the former Patriots great slot receiver. While not exceptionally fast or explosive, Berrios has great route running skills and a feel for getting open. 

Draft Projection: 5th Round

Berrios is not exceptionally big, athletic, explosive enough to win on the boundary, so he shouldn’t go before Day 3. A team that utilizes option routes from the slot, like the Patriots do, will be able to extract the maximum value out of him as both a slot receiver and punt returner. The Patriots are in the market for a long term answer at both spots and Berrios has a proven track record at the collegiate level. Perhaps history repeats itself and the Patriots pick up an underrated slot receiver out of Miami and turn into a weapon on offense.

May not be room for both him and Dortch on the 53.

• Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting signing.  I think he was the victim of the numbers game and depth at WR on New England.  Sneaky good player taken in the 2018 Draft who had a couple injuries this preseason and was pushed out by a returning Josh Gordon and guys like Phil Dorset, obviously Edelman, maybe Demyrius Thomas, etc.

Pre-Draft article from April 2018 talking about his fit with the Pats.  Seems like a poor man's Welker/Edelman/Amendola.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/4/20/17243190/2018-nfl-draft-top-10-fits-4-miami-slot-receiver-braxton-berrios

May not be room for both him and Dortch on the 53.

If you watch the first 3 mins of that video it looks like a blooper tape. Drops, retreating on punts, no separation lol. I hope he works out!

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

New England's depth sucks.  Dorsett isnt good.  Gordon is totally unreliable.  And while Harry has potential, he's a rookie.  They basically have Edelman and White to throw the ball to with Gronk gone.  Berrios not making the team with a system tailor made for his game is concerning. 

• Upvote 1

Really good signing.  What I liked about him was the S.T. potential and an already considerable ability in that regard.  A lot of Pats thought he'd make the team for that reason and indeed even push out the standout rookie wr Meyers, who had one of the best preseasons in the league.

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like Dorch's potential more to be honest.

Exactly my sentiment. I have no issue with Berrios, and clearly I'm no scout. But you have a guy in Dortch who looked great, both as a WR and as a returner on your team, in your camp. A guy who was productive as both in college. Unless you plan on keeping both I really don't see Berrios as an upgrade. And if anything, he has some injury concerns does he not? 

I dunno. Always hoping for the best and will be rooting for Berrios but first Douglas cut Burnett and cuts the team down to 5 WRs, now he signs Berrios, which is fine, but if he then goes ahead cuts Dortch its going to be a little maddening. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Question:

how many players have the patriots cut, (not traded) have gone on to have a decent career elsewhere?

Darryl Roberts is the first that comes to mind. He was a 7th round draft pick of NE.

In general, players that get cut don’t go on to be stars. It’s not just a NE thing. Darryl Roberts is a best case scenario.

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Same. I’m hoping this doesnt mean we cut Dortch.

Looks like they cut Dortch for Berrios and McLellan for the D-lineman- which makes sense if they are moving to nickel/4-3.

I hope Berrios proves to be productive b/c the Jets went with 5 WRs and cut two guys that really flashed in training camp and pre-season in Dortch and Burnett. Guys that normally would make the team on merit. Meanwhile Berrios was struggling with injuries and got beat out of a 7 deep patriots roster. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Same. I’m hoping this doesnt mean we cut Dortch.

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Just released 

As a card carrying member of the "I'm no GM' club, I'm only going to say I thought both Dortch and Burnett earned spots on the roster.

Almost everyone on this board loves Gase and Douglas, so I'm going to leave this be, and hope you guys are right about our new head honchos.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

As a card carrying member of the "I'm no GM' club, I'm only going to say I thought both Dortch and Burnett earned spots on the roster.

Almost everyone on this board loves Gase and Douglas, so I'm going to leave this be, and hope you guys are right about our new head honchos.

Ha. I just told myself the same thing. We’ll just have to trust JD and Gase. They know more then we do. So they probably see something we don’t. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Wes welker was cut twice before he became pro bowl level Wes Welker . Anything can happen . Barrios is explosive quick twitch with the speed to go with it. Maybe gase prefers him more for his offense than Dortch . 

Then we have atleast one more cut before we need to seriously consider him. 

Let's not be the team to sign him now then cut him later when he's Wes Welker ready. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Question:

how many players have the patriots cut, (not traded) have gone on to have a decent career elsewhere?

3 that jump immediately to mind are:

1.  Darryl Roberts.

2.  Ted Larsen.

3.  Kamu Grugier-Hill.

I'm sure there are a few others, too.  

• Upvote 1