Kicker solved

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've said it before and i'll say it again 

Kickers are good until they aren't.

Conversely, Kickers are not good until they are.

Predicting when those changes happen is a fool's errand.

I don't disagree but sometimes kickers are consistently good.  It would be nice to find one of those guys.

I don’t know if Taylor is still in the building because no one picked him up. Or if he’s allowed to practice with them unless he’s signed active or PS. They still have room on the PS so they could sign him. And then watch both in practice and suit up the one who looks the best. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He's the only kicker on the roster as we speak. 

Im assuming there will be a few more in this week.  Decision will be made by end of day Friday who will kick on Sunday.  

Based on vedveks horrific kicking in MN practices and the preseason game he kicked in, he cannot be the only option.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im assuming there will be a few more in this week.  Decision will be made by end of day Friday who will kick on Sunday.  

Based on vedveks horrific kicking in MN practices and the preseason game he kicked in, he cannot be the only option.

Great so we might be selecting our kicker on Saturday afternoon to kick on Sunday. 

I think Vedvik opens up as our kicker. 

Vedvik's struggles became more frequent during the final days of the preseason. In Minnesota's last practice before playing in Buffalo, Vedvik went 5-for-9 on field goals. 

He was 1-4 on fgs in the preseason games and basically 50% in practice.

And we are just going to hand the guy the job??

No way.  Get frye in here and have them compete.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I thought if you activated someone from the practice squad you have to keep him on the roster the whole year. 

If beetolet went 5-9 on fgs in practice and then went 1-4 in the preseason, this site would be calling for bertolets head.

But because its vedvek, its ok.

Im not understanding.  This guy has never kicked a fg in an nfl regular season game and was so god awful in practices and games, the team that traded a 5th round pick for him cut him 2 1/2 weeks later.

We should be losing our minds that there is a possibility this guy could be kicking Sunday.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If beetolet went 5-9 on fgs in practice and then went 1-4 in the preseason, this site would be calling for bertolets head.

Im not understanding.  This guy has never kicked a fg in an nfl regular season game and was so god awful in practices and games, the team that traded a 5th round pick for him cut him 2 1/2 weeks later.

We should be losing our minds that there is a possibility this guy could be kicking Sunday.

Our special teams seems like a train wreck to me right now. We don't know who will be place kicking or returning punts and the season kicks off in 6 days.

They better get this settled quickly.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

go ahead,  lose your mind ... quality kickers aren't a dime a dozen..

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I thought if you activated someone from the practice squad you have to keep him on the roster the whole year. 

I think that is only if you poach someone from another team's practice squad -- he will need to be on active roster for at least 3 weeks.  I think you can bring up and send down guys from your own PS without the 3 week limitation.

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree, I just don’t like the idea of taking chances one week before the start of the season on a position that you know will absolutely see the field at least five or six times for kickoffs, extra points and field goal attempts. We are way late on addressing the situation. 

Not exactly a risk chance considering he replaced a kicker who couldn’t consistently make an extra point ?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think that is only if you poach someone from another team's practice squad -- he will need to be on active roster for at least 3 weeks.  I think you can bring up and send down guys from your own PS without the 3 week limitation.

Thanks for the clarification.

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You're making a lot of sense here. The problem is so many people here have 100% faith in Douglas for some reason, and he chose this guy. It's almost like heresy for them to question him, because they're so grateful he isn't Macc

The truth is the way he handled the PK thing this summer was a joke. From handing the job to Catanzaro, to Bertolet, to this guy. Not one of them deserved to not have competition in camp, yet none did.

There's a lot I disagree with about how this roster ended up also. The TE position, the CBs, and the WR thing infuriate me. Burnett and Dortch should be on the 53, they earned it. Shepherd is, and what the hell has he done that he is, and they aren't? 

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're making a lot of sense here. The problem is so many people here have 100% faith in Douglas for some reason, and he chose this guy. It's almost like heresy for them to question him, because they're so grateful he isn't Macc

The truth is the way he handled the PK thing this summer was a joke. From handing the job to Catanzaro, to Bertolet, to this guy. Not one of them deserved to not have competition in camp, yet none did.

There's a lot I disagree with about how this roster ended up also. The TE position, the CBs, and the WR thing infuriate me. Burnett and Dortch should be on the 53, they earned it. Shepherd is, and what the hell has he done that he is, and they aren't? 

I have to agree completely.  Jet fans are terrified to criticized joe d but it is justified.  The kicking situation has been botched all summer and burnett/dortch should be on the 53.

If they go w/ vedvek and he costs us the game, the pitchforks will be out.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I have to agree completely.  Jet fans are terrified to criticized joe d but it is justified.  The kicking situation has been botched all summer and burnett/dortch should be on the 53.

Joe D hasn’t earned anything yet. He hasn’t even had an offseason with important moves since Mac was here for FA and draft. Joe needs to EARN respect from fans. Jury is out. I understand all the excitement to have him since that means Mac is gone. It doesn’t mean he has shown that he is the answer yet. I am personally optimistic though. 

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Joe D hasn’t earned anything yet. He hasn’t even had an offseason with important moves since Mac was here for FA and draft. Joe needs to EARN respect from fans. Jury is out. I understand all the excitement to have him since that means Mac is gone. It doesn’t mean he has shown that he is the answer yet. I am personally optimistic though. 

I like that he put importance on the oline.  

But get elliot frye and cairo santos in on wed and let these guys battle it out for 3 days.  That would be the best way to do it at this point.

Why have a kicking competition when you can have a PUNTING competition!!!1!!1!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I love these arm chair gms...

So now the same ole jets fans rant is how our new gm botched the K position?  What ******* choices were available to him?  It isn’t like he had a shot at Morten Anderson in his prime and Justin Tucker available to him.

Holly Hell Jets fans suck sometimes.

1 minute ago, JetsRay said:

So now the same ole jets fans rant is how our new gm botched the K position?  What ******* choices were available to him?  It isn’t like he had a shot at Morten Anderson in his prime and Justin Tucker available to him.

I just gave you two more.  Cairo Santos and elliot frye.  You dont hand the job to someone whos never kicked in the league b4 w/o a competition.

When a gm trades a 5th round pick for a kicker, the kicker just basically needs not to be totally atrocious to get the job.  They let vedvek go in 2 1/2 weeks he was so bad.

Wrap your mind around how bad vedvek must have been for that gm to cut him?

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I like that he put importance on the oline.  

But get elliot frye and cairo santos in on wed and let these guys battle it out for 3 days.  That would be the best way to do it at this point.

Yeah, but it’s both sad and frustrating that we’re at this point, and it bothers so few... oh well. It is what it is. Watch the guy make 3 FGs Sunday, and everyone will be “See, it’s easy to find a kicker...”

46 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Did you read/watch what was going on during the summer with Catanzaro and Bertolet?

Dont give me that sojf armchair GM crap. That’s weak s**t on your part. If you can’t see this wasn’t handled well, or they didn’t need to bring isomeone else in unless they were another Morten Anderson, you’re either completely lost or a total homer.