Our tight end issue

kevinc855

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Herndon is clearly out top guy. That’s not in question. We will be playing 11 personal or 21 even. I’m really not worried about the TE group. They are steady. Tomlinson was by far the worst of the group and he’s gone. I was much more concerned with him than either of the rest. Griffin will start and there will be specific packages for Wesco.

I still maintain that Wesco will develop into somewhat of a secret weapon this season. I would not be surprised if he catches a couple of important passes on Sunday.

You come back and say you’re sorry for hurting my feelings if that happens ok? emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My biggest concern is that you have Herndon and then the talent level drops off of a cliff. Herndon is not only good in the passing game but he's a hell of a blocker. Him being out for a quarter of the season is going too hurt our offense no matter how you slice it and dice it. 

I'm not holding out much hope for Wesco. He was a Mac pick and had virtually no production in a West Virginia offense. That is almost impossible with how many yards they would rack up every game. But Baldy loves him.....so there's that.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

This is sad since Herndon was coming along so nicely but during his 4 game suspension our roster current has brown, Wesco and griffin. That’s an incredibly weak core right there. Hopefully short throws to bell will offset this during the first 4 games 

“Our tight end issue”? I don’t know about yours but my tight end is just fine. 

56 minutes ago, RobR said:

My biggest concern is that you have Herndon and then the talent level drops off of a cliff. Herndon is not only good in the passing game but he's a hell of a blocker. Him being out for a quarter of the season is going too hurt our offense no matter how you slice it and dice it. 

I'm not holding out much hope for Wesco. He was a Mac pick and had virtually no production in a West Virginia offense. That is almost impossible with how many yards they would rack up every game. But Baldy loves him.....so there's that.

Baldy isn't the only one. There were more than enough commentators and evaluators talking up Wesco's potential. Sure he's a macc pick, but obviously there is no loyalty to those players if they can't produce. Wesco has been fine while learning the pro game. He's a devastating blocker and has great hands. He caught that TD that was called back in the preseason which shows there are effective plays with the TE in mind even when Herndon isn't there. Wesco is everything you want other than being young and coming from an offense that doesn't utilize the TE in the passing game very much. He was used as a blocker primarily and did extremely well in that role. 

I don't disagree about Herndon's ability or that we will miss him, but we are going to be fine without him albeit less dynamic.  There is no cliff to fall off of. It's simply the normal drop off from starter to the reserves.  TE is not the area to be worried about when our OL hasn't played together yet. :)  Wesco can help with the pass protection and run blocking and Griffin is a pretty good pass catcher too. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wesco is everything you want other than being young and coming from an offense that doesn't utilize the TE in the passing game very much. He was used as a blocker primarily and did extremely well in that role. 

This is where we disagree because if you can't catch balls in a WV offense how are you going to do it at the NFL level? He tested decent for his weight at the combine but the tape, or should we say production is not there.

If he turns into a good blocking TE for a fifth rounder I would consider that a failure of a pick because you can get those guys on the cheap. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, too bad he didn't have the knowledge of an arm chair GM that the rising star TE he drafted would be suspended 3 years down the road and drafted Maye

The object of the game is to draft well and draft good players.  It's the GMs job to do a good job.  Nice of you to keep defending Macaganan though.

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The object of the game is to draft well and draft good players.  It's the GMs job to do a good job.  Nice of you to keep defending Macaganan though.

You said if he didnt draft Maye, a good player, that he could have drafted a TE that we could use now while Herndon is suspended.

No one is defending anyone,  one of us blaming everything on someone, even when its no ones fault.  Other than Herndons for getting himself suspended

But hey, its always someones fault, need someone to blame

• Upvote 1

This is where we disagree because if you can't catch balls in a WV offense how are you going to do it at the NFL level? He tested decent for his weight at the combine but the tape, or should we say production is not there.
If he turns into a good blocking TE for a fifth rounder I would consider that a failure of a pick because you can get those guys on the cheap. 

It’s fine to disagree. I’m
Right of course, but I can dig your side of it.

His lack of pass catching production was not due to dropped passes or not being open. It’s more of the offensive game plan being called.
There is a couple of full game vids of him out there where you can watch him
The whole game. He’s very young but you can see the solid blocking and ability to run routes.
Anthony becht who was a WV TE loves Wesco too. I think I remember him saying the WV offense was similar with the TE when he was there too.

Either way we will see. I know we’re both obviously hoping Wesco pans out. He’s a 4th rdr. Not a first rdr. He may take a little but if time but he’s got everything you want in a TE and his work ethic is great from all reports.

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Herndon is clearly out top guy. That’s not in question. We will be playing 11 personal or 21 even. I’m really not worried about the TE group. They are steady. Tomlinson was by far the worst of the group and he’s gone. I was much more concerned with him than either of the rest. Griffin will start and there will be specific packages for Wesco.

I still maintain that Wesco will develop into somewhat of a secret weapon this season. I would not be surprised if he catches a couple of important passes on Sunday.

You come back and say you’re sorry for hurting my feelings if that happens ok? emoji6.png

I totally agree on the secret weapon/ specific packages for Wesco. I think it was pretty obvious when we drafted him what they had in mind. He's a big man at almost 290 lb & can catch the ball, block he can run. Lol maybe not fast, but he can run. Don't be surprised if he's getting the ball up the middle on third-and-goal. Who the hell is going to stop him?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I totally agree on the secret weapon/ specific packages for Wesco. I think it was pretty obvious when we drafted him what they had in mind. He's a big man at almost 290 lb & can catch the ball, block he can run. Lol maybe not fast, but he can run. Don't be surprised if he's getting the ball up the middle on third-and-goal. Who the hell is going to stop him?

I might be a little ahead of myself on Wesco and it may take more time than I'd like but he has everything. The problem is he is raw due to the lack of usage by Grier and the WV offensive game plan. He does what's asked. Thats who he is.  I read that he knocked the pre draft interviews out of the park and many evaluators really liked him.  He's young so it might be a min, but I think Gase will unleash this guy throughout the season. We will hopefully see a little bit of it with Buffalo. A Big third down catch and run on a play action where the D bites hard on Bell getting the ball.  

PS. I just asked my son's Magic Eight Ball and it's pretty confident I'm correct on this one. "It is Certain"    lol 

14 hours ago, phill1c said:

I think the OL is more solid than it has been. I mean, yeah, you don't want to end up having to play Qvale but i think that Harrisson is a good backup, and the other guys I saw playing didn't seem to be physically overmatched, as I have seen in the recent past. and I'm basing my opinion on the game against the Saints, mostly, which I think was the starters' worst performance. 

You make good points overall. 

I think the jets have more than "depth" issues at WR. and at CB.

Enunwa hasn't gotten the separation I'd like to see. and they are/were only keeping 5? I guess it wouldn't seem so bad if Herndon weren't suspended and Enunwa so injury prone. I mean, the over/under for games is 4 (played not missed) for Enunwa, isn't it? That said, the Jets have been looking for Mr. Goodbar at WR since Keyshawn Johnson left. 

Here's one for the old heads: remember when Keyshawn was drafted? They also drafted another guy with their 2nd rounder AND Wayne Chrebet was in camp...remember the tension? Reminds me of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye...

And the corners, aside from Maullete, have looked like crap. That said, I can hope they play better in the regular season than they have in the preseason, and, in Johnson's case, the entirety of last season.

- O-line depth is actually pretty solid. With Compton, Harrison/Kalil, A.Lewis and Edoga. Definitely not one of the best but if you look around the league not many teams are 7 starters deep. Most teams are lucky to have one starting caliber backup. 

- I think its a bit silly that Enunwa is healthy and continues to make plays but now is getting criticized for 'not getting the separation' some fans would like to see. C'mon man. He's a physical receiver who uses his body to strength to make contested catches, usually in the middle of the field. He's more of a split end than a WR. It's how he plays. His injury was not in the lower half of his body so I don't think he lost speed. As far as his health. Yeah, he's been hurt a lot. Yeah, injury prone is accurate. But I think you're exaggerating with the 4 games over under. Apart from the 2017 season that he missed due to surgery, has he ever played less than 10 games, no. 

-As far as the CBs I actually don't think Maulet has looked particularly good. Nothing about him stuck out to me. But the top 3 looked solid (Tru, Roberts, Poole). I mean, against the Saints they struggled. But otherwise they looked pretty darn good. Tru was out so we didn't get to see him in preseason. However, all indications before he pulled his hammy was that he was looking like he was going to have a bounce back season. 

The depth concern at CB is after the top 3. Those are all question marks. The depth concern at TE is real. Herndon comes back that's one thing, but if he gets hurt, I have very little confidence in Griffin, Brown and Wesco. 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:08 PM, PepPep said:

I think you're exaggerating with the 4 games over under.

Yep, I was exaggerating...actually, I'll wait to Game 5 to say that ;-)

I think Enunwa was not helped with the style of "offense" the Jets employed during his time here. But I think if you're expecting that he won't be injured when he looks to run over people and is so proud of his physicality...I think the Jets would be wise to plan on is injury, rather than being surprised by it.