Hines Ward hired as Offensive Assistant Coach

Lith

Nice addition to the coaching staff.  

Great player although I hated him, probably could have gotten a shot on most teams....he must like the coaching room here.

Name recognition from our young guys will command respect.  Hopefully he becomes a great influence on a guy like Robby.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Surprised Kevin Greene did not land somewhere - he seemed good too

I guess being a good player does not always translate or maybe it's just not worth it if you have that much $$ in the bank

Could have been a personal choice  He took a year off to help his kid get ready for college ball.  But hey, maybe putting so much faith in Dylan Donahue made him question his football ability? ?

• Upvote 2

Hines-ward.jpg

The Jets aren’t just looking to upgrade their roster as the season approaches as Adam Gase made former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward a permanent member of his coaching staff.

Gase announces that Hines Ward has been added to the coaching staff as an offensive assistant. Ward had been working as a coaching intern in camp. #Jets

— Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73) September 2, 2019

Ward had been working with the team during the preseason but has now been added as an offensive assistant. 

The post Jets add Hines Ward to Coaching Staff appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
1IjQ5rgPkec

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Falling out with the Steelers?

Who knows...it's a coaching position, maybe the Steelers didn't really have a spot for him or maybe it casts a bit of a shadow having such a recent successful WR there coaching your new WRs.  That can be awkward or put pressure on guys to "do it the way Hines did it, man!"

I'm just glad we got him.  He seems like a solid coach and good human being, even if he walked the line in being chippy as a player on the field.  He was tough, smart, and good as a WR.

It does say something that he's here along with Bell.  Becoming pretty clear to me that Le'Veon Bell should have never been grouped with Antonio Brown as a potential "me first" head case.  Bell has come across as a very smart, hard-working guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The thing I will always remember about Ward as a player was when he blocked you, I looked like a S hitting a WR, not a WR hitting a S. If he imparts that toughness  to our team, I'm all in on this hire.

LBs and safeties used to running around free hunting WR's TEs and RBS suddenly got a taste of their own medicine and were all pissy about it.  Essentially the blind side block rule came into effect due to ward.

11 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Which ones?  Just curious.  They literally have more HOF'ers than just about anybody. 

I watch football sports shows and everybody, OLD SCHOOL STEELERS, have a problem with to one degree or another Mike Tomlin. 

Many think that Tomlin is a knowledgeable HC but that he runs to loose a ship.  It seems Terry Bradshaw and Hines were the key ones to speak publicly..

Here are links articles:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/terry-bradshaw-rips-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-again-hes-not-my-kind-of-coach/

https://triblive.com/sports/hines-ward-to-barstool-sports-on-steelers-current-situation-it-is-embarrassing/

• Sympathy 1

There is a lot going on with the Steelers and their former players.  Troy P. has not shown up for any franchise functions he’s been invited to, and when he was inducted into the Polynesian HOF, he did not mention the Steelers at all, just his college years and his team while at USC.

Bad blood, even with Troy...that says something to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

There is a lot going on with the Steelers and their former players.  Troy P. has not shown up for any franchise functions he’s been invited to, and when he was inducted into the Polynesian HOF, he did not mention the Steelers at all, just his college years and his team while at USC.

Bad blood, even with Troy...that says something to me.

Wow I didn't know this!!

17 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Wow I didn't know this!!

Same with the USC Hall of Fame ceremonies.   Never mentioned the Steelers by name, simply referenced his NFL career, no mention of the franchise.  

There was six months of celebration between the announcement and induction which included interviews, appearances and filming on campus leading up to the formal dinner.  Never once mentioned the Steelers.

Odd from someone as loyal as Troy,

• Upvote 1