More Moves Imminent for Gang Green, who Should Joe Douglas be Targeting?

JetNation

Demaryius-Thomas.jpg

As currently constructed, the Jets 53-man roster is clearly going to undergo some changes in the coming days (or hours) as there are some manning deficiencies in a few different spots.  The most glaring examples are at wide receiver and cornerback, where the Jets have just five players each.  The team is also unlikely to stick with the nine defensive linemen currently listed on their official roster.

So where should they be looking in order to bolster some of their current weaknesses?  It’s no big secret that some of the team’s biggest needs are at cornerback, edge rusher, offensive line and wide receiver, so that’s where we expect them to focus.

CB Orlando Scandrick: Scandrick is a bit long in the tooth but showed he had some gas left in the tank when he started seven games for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018 and played respectable football, coming away with 13 passes defended in 7 starts.  A deep cornerback depth chart in Philadelphia made him the odd man out and he was cut loose as the Eagles got down to 53.  

WR Josh Doctson: A first round pick of the Washington Redskins just a few seasons ago, Doctson has posted over 500 yards in each of the past two seasons and could just need a change of scenery to get closer to being the player many expected him to be when he came out of TCU as one of the top receivers in the country.  

RT Ryan Schraeder: This would be an unlikley move as the Jets seem to like the potential of Chuma Edoga, but Schraeder is a player who has been far better than anyone else on the roster at right tackle over the course of his career and could be a great addition.

WR Jordan Matthews: Looking for an experienced receiver with good height (6′ 3”) who can be a threat in the red zone?  Matthews could be your guy.  After an impressive first few pro seasons (2,500 yds, 19 TD’s), Matthews has bounced around between a few teams but could offer value as a fourth or fifth option.

OLB Nick Perry: We’ve mentioned Perry as a possibility a couple of times this offseason and still view him as a potential presence off the edge as a situational pass rusher.  Perry has had some injuries of late, but did post 23 sacks in 18 starts between 2016-2017.  

WR Demaryius Thomas: Thomas isn’t close to being the player he once was, but like Matthews, could be a valuable piece as a reliable veteran receiver.  Thomas posted 677 yards and 5 TD’s last year with two teams.

CB EJ Gaines: Gaines was cut loose by the Browns after reaching an injury settlement and is free to sign wherever he likes.  Even dinged up, Gaines could offer an upgrade in the secondary once he’s a full go.

LB Brandon Marshall: Marshall’s release came as somewhat of a surprise but could be a boon for the Jets.  With Avery Williamson unable line up next to CJ Mosely due to an ACL injury, Marshall would soften that blow to the Jets defense immediately.

S/LB Su’A Cravens: Cravens is an interesting player who was a second-round pick just a few years ago and took a year away from the game after an impressive rookie season.  He’s a hybrid defender who can line up and safety or linebacker and we know how much Gregg Williams likes players who can play multiple positions.

Less than a week before week 1 kicks off, but expect to see some new names popping up on the Jets roster in the not too distant future.

The post More Moves Imminent for Gang Green, who Should Joe Douglas be Targeting? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
g3FgozNjGd4

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

Doctson is the one I find intriguing because the potential is so good, and he hasn't been terrible.  While watching Crowder film, I did notice Doctson, so it's someone I would take a shot on for sure.   

I'm not saying he's the No. 1 guy I thought he was going to be, but at least has potential, young, and should be motivated.  

• Upvote 2

Just looking at that list there's no way the Jets will fill all of their deficiency areas? However, I would expect they will find another ST player that can double on offense or defense. Possibly an edge rusher? And more than likely some under the radar WR acquisition?

Demaryius Thomas is finished.  That preseason game was a nice show.  But it was theatrical, not real.  He can't separate anymore.  Denver knew it.  Houston knew it.  And the other 31 teams that weren't interested knew it.  New England doesnt have some magic elixir to make his feet quicker.  

I am surprised he made the team, frankly. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Demaryius Thomas is finished.  That preseason game was a nice show.  But it was theatrical, not real.  He can't separate anymore.  Denver knew it.  Houston knew it.  And the other 31 teams that weren't interested knew it.  New England doesnt have some magic elixir to make his feet quicker.  

I am surprised he made the team, frankly. 

You keep saying this but he still put up decent numbers last year for someone who supposedly cannot separate. The Pats seem to think he's worth keeping around for now anyway. I doubt they'd have brought him back if he were having issues getting separation.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You keep saying this but he still put up decent numbers last year for someone who supposedly cannot separate. The Pats seem to think he's worth keeping around for now anyway. I doubt they'd have brought him back if he were having issues getting separation.

I encourage you to watch him move in this "big" preseason game of his.  Keep in mind against backup corners or that maybe were cut.

https://www.patriots.com/video/every-demaryius-thomas-catch-from-huge-game-preseason-week-4

I watched him for his final 2 years in Denver.  I saw the deterioration.  He is in slow motion dude.  And he drops the ball a ton.

And then for comparison, watch another player I studied today.  Deon Cain.  A guy I believe can be a star.  That guy moves like a graceful gazelle.

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gotta have at least one "professional" WR on the roster to complement Edelman.  Remember that one year where the Pats had young guys like Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson all over the place and that cheating brat Brady kept getting pissed off early in the season (until Edelman emerged)?  Belichick wants to ensure that never happens again.  

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I encourage you to watch him move in this "big" preseason game of his.  Keep in mind against backup corners or that maybe were cut.

https://www.patriots.com/video/every-demaryius-thomas-catch-from-huge-game-preseason-week-4

I watched him for his final 2 years in Denver.  I saw the deterioration.  He is in slow motion dude.  And he drops the ball a ton.

And then for comparison, watch another player I studied today.  Deon Cain.  A guy I believe can be a star.  That guy moves like a graceful gazelle.

Not sure what I'm supposed to take from watching him catch a bunch of passes other than he still looks useful. He dropped 6 balls last year on 89 targets, about the same rate as Julian Edelman.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

A big problem with the jets has always been us over valuing our jags or our PS level guys. Whether it is in the draft like gholston, polite or who was that WR that was always hurt.. anyway then guys like dortch etc...remember Aaron maybin? These guys  don't belong on an active roster. I'm glad to see our new regime get it. 

He cut our third pick. Awesome. DT is emergency option for pats because of injury. 

Let's be real. Dortch isn't some new odel.

Our best WR is a RB FA we just signed. Be real. Our GM is.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not sure what I'm supposed to take from watching him catch a bunch of passes other than he still looks useful. He dropped 6 balls last year on 89 targets, about the same rate as Julian Edelman.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

I used to live in Denver.  Many of my old college friends are Bronco fans.  I owned DMT in a dynasty fantasy league.  Google Demaryius Thomas and drops.  What I speak of is all over the place.