Dortch signed to PS

Cyberjet

What is this freaking love affair. You know who I want as the returner, the guy who can do it best. 

Sounds like you’re talking in circles here unless you have a particular upgrade in mind

From what i saw in preseason Dortsh was the guy who can do it best

(That appears to be the general consensus amongst many of us)

(If Berrios kicks *$$ then that will be great ... i’ll totally forget about Dortsh ... at least until Berrios makes the probowl & leaves to make more money elsewhere)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ljr said:

Sounds like you’re talking in circles here unless you have a particular upgrade in mind

Yep.

Havent seen what Cheerio can do yet though.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, ljr said:

Yeah, I guess that's  why he got cut

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've got nothing against Dortch, but I don't particularly understand the infatuation with him around here.  He contributes as no more than a punt returner, and this last game he even muffed one of those.  Meanwhile, folks are still hung up on Cannon's muffs from a year ago while he contributes as a KR, in ST coverage, and even on offense (albeit very limited, but still more than Dortch).

Don't get me wrong, I'll absolutely be rooting for Dortch as long as he's here, but from what's shown to this point, I'll certainly be rooting for someone to contribute far more than anything he's shown so far, whether that's him or someone else.

I want him to be a bomb returner for us, but I actually agree with you 

I’m old school with punt returners. A punt is a turn over. The other team is saying, “we don’t thInk we can make a first down, so here, you take the ball.”

I want to see the punt returner sprint to where the ball is going to come down, don't let it hit the ground, secure it and don’t give it back. 

Dortch honestly makes me a little nervous with his high school trick of hesitating before running and always trying to hit a homerun    He already muffed a punt in what, 8 tries?

I think the PS is a good place for him but I really don’t expect him to push anyone this year  

He has to learn WR and probably another special teams job before he gets to game day 

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’m old school with punt returners. A punt is a turn over. The other team is saying, “we don’t thInk we can make a first down, so here, you take the ball.”

I want to see the punt returner sprint to where the ball is going to come down, don't let it hit the ground, secure it and don’t give it back. 

Dortch honestly makes me a little nervous with his high school trick of hesitating before running and always trying to hit a homerun    He already muffed a punt in what, 8 tries?

I think the PS is a good place for him but I really don’t expect him to push anyone this year  

He has to learn WR and probably another special teams job before he gets to game day 

That’s exactly what the PS is for. :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I've got nothing against Dortch, but I don't particularly understand the infatuation with him around here.  He contributes as no more than a punt returner, and this last game he even muffed one of those.  Meanwhile, folks are still hung up on Cannon's muffs from a year ago while he contributes as a KR, in ST coverage, and even on offense (albeit very limited, but still more than Dortch).

Don't get me wrong, I'll absolutely be rooting for Dortch as long as he's here, but from what's shown to this point, I'll certainly be rooting for someone to contribute far more than anything he's shown so far, whether that's him or someone else.

Because he plays with a ton of heart and was actually an excellent college player who excels at something that is difficult to find.

Getting him on the PS is a great job by this staff as he can easily develop into a long-term staring NFL player.  This isnt David Clowney, who ran in a straight line past a 9th string DB in the pre season.  This kid is tough, can return punts, and can hopefully develop into a slot WR.  

Hes not jerry rice - but lets at least be happy we have a young player to develop at PR.  DIdnt we see the results of our moronic GM's kicker decision......

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Because he plays with a ton of heart and was actually an excellent college player who excels at something that is difficult to find.

Getting him on the PS is a great job by this staff as he can easily develop into a long-term staring NFL player.  This isnt David Clowney, who ran in a straight line past a 9th string DB in the pre season.  This kid is tough, can return punts, and can hopefully develop into a slot WR.  

Hes not jerry rice - but lets at least be happy we have a young player to develop at PR.  DIdnt we see the results of our moronic GM's kicker decision......

It's  really amazing nobody here realizes the reason we were able to sign him to the practice squad was because nobody else thought he was good enough to play in the NFL except the people who post here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Jets fans love small white receivers like Chrebet

3 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Jets Sign WR Greg Dortch To Practice Squad

By MacGregor Wells  Sep 2, 2019, 7:07pm EDT

New York Jets v New York GiantsPhoto by Al Pereira/Getty Images

The New York Jets have signed wide receiver/returner Greg Dortch to the practice squad.

The 5’ 9”, 170 pound Dortch, an undrafted free agent out of Wake Forest University, became something of a fan favorite this summer as he exhibited some burst and wiggle returning punts. The Jets cut Dortch yesterday after they claimed Braxton Berrios, a very similar player who is expected to take on Dortch’s punt returner/backup slot receiver role, off of waivers. 

The addition of Dortch leaves just one slot open on the practice squad. As of now the Jets practice squad consists of the following players:

Josh Adams (RB)

Calvin Anderson (OL)

Ben Braden (OL)

Kyron Brown (CB)

Ian Bunting (TE)

Greg Dortch (WR/PR)

Luke Falk (QB)

Valentine Holmes (RB)*

Jamey Mosley (LB)

Jeff Smith (WR)

8 Offense

2 Defense

Interesting.

I am not surprised so much that Dortch wasn't picked up by another team and cleared waivers... I am amazed that we actually signed Jeff Smith to the practice squad.  Dude got hurt early in camp and then basically was invisible afterwards.  Well.  I wish both of those guys the best and hope they both stick long term.

15 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I am not surprised so much that Dortch wasn't picked up by another team and cleared waivers... I am amazed that we actually signed Jeff Smith to the practice squad.  Dude got hurt early in camp and then basically was invisible afterwards.  Well.  I wish both of those guys the best and hope they both stick long term.

I think we've been brought back to Earth, and appropriately so on Dortch.  I was (and still am) one of the bigger fanboys of this guy.  Like him, like the attitude, like the speed, elusiveness and ability.  But it's absolutely true that he's about a C- when it comes to playing WR at the NFL level.  Practice squad is a great spot for him.  The Jets demonstrated that they wanted him by not cutting him initially.  They put him on their first version of the 53 to keep salivating teams from snatching him up.  It worked.  If he can raise his WR game to more like a B- and his punt return abilities look clearly better than Berrios, then Dortch will get elevated.  But using a spot on the 53 (46 person Active list on Sundays) is tough to do with a guy who can only do one thing, even if he does it fairly well.

I see him as a Dave Meggett type, but I think he probably understands the message that the Jets have sent him.  "Show us that you're the clear #2 slot WR behind Jamison, and show us that we can't keep you off the field as a punt returner."  Remember, on this current roster the WR shuffle is probably going to look like this - If either Robby or Enunwa can't play then it's likely Crowder (maybe Bellamy but I think Crowder first) that steps into that role.  That moves other pieces around the chess board because if Crowder vacates the slot then it's Berrios/Dortch/whoever is the slot backup that will move in.  In other words, an injury or the unavailability of either Anderson, Enunwa or Crowder probably means we move our backup slot guy onto the field.  That's why I think the Jets are so keen on having a truly capable WR in that spot.

He's a 5'7" kid from Wake Forest who wasn't drafted.  Let's be real.  He's done well for himself making it this far.

Time to seize the opportunity and take the next step, Torch!

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think we've been brought back to Earth, and appropriately so on Dortch.  I was (and still am) one of the bigger fanboys of this guy.  Like him, like the attitude, like the speed, elusiveness and ability.  But it's absolutely true that he's about a C- when it comes to playing WR at the NFL level.  Practice squad is a great spot for him.  The Jets demonstrated that they wanted him by not cutting him initially.  They put him on their first version of the 53 to keep salivating teams from snatching him up.  It worked.  If he can raise his WR game to more like a B- and his punt return abilities look clearly better than Berrios, then Dortch will get elevated.  But using a spot on the 53 (46 person Active list on Sundays) is tough to do with a guy who can only do one thing, even if he does it fairly well.

I see him as a Dave Meggett type, but I think he probably understands the message that the Jets have sent him.  "Show us that you're the clear #2 slot WR behind Jamison, and show us that we can't keep you off the field as a punt returner."  Remember, on this current roster the WR shuffle is probably going to look like this - If either Robby or Enunwa can't play then it's likely Crowder (maybe Bellamy but I think Crowder first) that steps into that role.  That moves other pieces around the chess board because if Crowder vacates the slot then it's Berrios/Dortch/whoever is the slot backup that will move in.  In other words, an injury or the unavailability of either Anderson, Enunwa or Crowder probably means we move our backup slot guy onto the field.  That's why I think the Jets are so keen on having a truly capable WR in that spot.

He's a 5'7" kid from Wake Forest who wasn't drafted.  Let's be real.  He's done well for himself making it this far.

Time to seize the opportunity and take the next step, Torch!

Hey.  I am pulling for the kid.  But I know why they gave Berrios his roster spot.  Every time Dortch got the ball I was worried he was going to get trucked.

46 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Seriously. We didn't want to pursue Doss or Ferguson or one of the other Wrs on market...