Something positive out of the Polite debacle ...

Bungaman

Polite was an a$$hole. Anyone who doesn't  appreciate the opportunity to be a millionaire for playing a kids game is a moron and that is exactly  what Polite was so I'm glad he is gone but give me a break about Douglas. What other choice did he have with an idiot like this. 100k in fines his first camp? Are you kidding me? On top of it you don't  even look like you know what you're doing on the field? This was about as easy a cut as anyone could make and it is entirely  no skin off Douglas, it wasn't  his selection. 

And please, enough with this was a horrible  pick by Mac. At least half the people who post here thought the light finally went on after he was selected, probably more. In the end, yeah, this was possibly a worse pick than Hack, possibly the worst selection in the entire draft but nobody was saying that after he was selected. When Hack was selected,  people were ready to set fire to Met Life Stadium,  I saw no reaction like that other than, great, can Polite play C. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Sympathy 1

I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, yeah, I could definitely see that as the catalyst for Johnson’s change of heart about Maccagnan. In fact, when you read into the comments Johnson made about things not being right in the building, etc., I’d say it’s very likely that was the reason. Good detective work!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

CJ the tool would't have had to waste a full year of another mac draft if he did the smart diligent thing and changed things up both coach and gm at the same time as he should have.

It baffles me how much credit CJ is given for screwing up but fixing his awful error by ditching a draft a year. (Golf clap)

• Upvote 2

Good points.  

I don't think it was just the Polite pick though, I think it was the nature of 2-4th round picks, because Macc loved to take gambles there.  Guys like Shepard, Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart, Hackenberg, Petty, and Polite this year.  I felt like he scouted based on upside than factoring in downside (which is what most of us fans do, but not get paid) and that is bad roster construction.  You have to get consistent starters out of Rd. 2-4 if you are a bad team that needs to draft well.  If you are the Pats or Saints, you can afford to take more risks.  Macc didn't and he didn't mend his ways this year, and that seems like the final straw.  

To me, this draft was classic display of the philosophy between Macc and Pats.  They both needed OL help, they pick up Cajuste, who I thought was the better prospect.  They pick up Winovich, after Polite even though I think the Michigan star was the better player.  Macc went upside in both instances (Edoga 5 star recruit, and Polite had a better pass rushing tape) without looking into the downside.  

I do love the silence about the rumors, albeit, we kinda said the same thing about Bowles after Rex left.  The problem with Bowles was that the players pretty much ran the team.  

• Upvote 3

dj khaled and another one GIF

Yet another reason why you fire Macc in January with Bowles instead of having him spend all your free agency money and pick all your draft picks only to have another GM cut a 3rd round pick before the season even starts. 

Polite has to be the quickest waste of a pick Macc has ever made, and it's because of how stupid this offseason ultimately unraveled.

By the way, CJ also let him cut a pro bowl kicker like we had it like that. Now we're going into the season with a kicker who couldnt make a kick since being traded for by the Vikes.

There are reasons why bad teams are bad. 

With that said, I appreciate that Douglas wasnt going to waste a roster spot on a player who wasnt making the team better, this is all CJ and Macc's doing why this team is so f'ed up obviously. 

And to also put it out there, I still believe we should have done better than Adam Gase. The disdain isnt as deep given the time passed, but none of us liked this pick 7-8 months ago, and hopefully when the season starts we're not reminded of why.

We're not out of the woods yet. If we can make it to the end of October without feeling like the season is already over, then were pointing in the right direction.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

CJ the tool would't have had to waste a full year of another mac draft if he did the smart diligent thing and changed things up both coach and gm at the same time as he should have.

It baffles me how much credit CJ is given for screwing up but fixing his awful error by ditching a draft a year. (Golf clap)

The impression I got was that Douglas wasn't going to leave at the start of the off-season, I'm okay with taking a swift kick in the nuts if he is the real deal at GM for the long haul.

• Upvote 1

Let's not forget we have a DC in Gregg Williams who has years of experience  & he was putting in the lineups for preseason & Polites chances kept gettting pushed further into the 4th quarter.

I even posted it when Polite was out there for entire 4th quarters that GW was laying the wood into a player who probably was walking around like BMOC after being picked in the 3rd round. This Group of coaches doesn't give a f*ck where you are drafted. There's a new Sheriff in town who made I think clear he was letting GW run the defense. This cut tells me GW told Gase & Douglas after pushing his buttons by treating him like an UDFA that he was mentally weak, has no dog in him & has been a waste of everyone's time. To exasperate the situation, I believe Gase didn't want him from the get go & might have had someone else in mind there (maybe Winovich, a high motor player who loves football?). Gase sly grin during his press conference said something had gone on with that 3rd pick in the warroom. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

dj khaled and another one GIF

Yet another reason why you fire Macc in January with Bowles instead of having him spend all your free agency money and pick all your draft picks only to have another GM cut a 3rd round pick before the season even starts. 

Polite has to be the quickest waste of a pick Macc has ever made, and it's because of how stupid this offseason ultimately unraveled.

By the way, CJ also let him cut a pro bowl kicker like we had it like that. Now we're going into the season with a kicker who couldnt make a kick since being traded for by the Vikes.

There are reasons why bad teams are bad. 

With that said, I appreciate that Douglas wasnt going to waste a roster spot on a player who wasnt making the team better, this is all CJ and Macc's doing why this team is so f'ed up obviously. 

And to also put it out there, I still believe we should have done better than Adam Gase. The disdain isnt as deep given the time passed, but none of us liked this pick 7-8 months ago, and hopefully when the season starts we're not reminded of why.

We're not out of the woods yet. If we can make it to the end of October without feeling like the season is already over, then were pointing in the right direction.

It seems as though CJ needed to be convinced that Mac was more of the issue and not Bowles... JMHO. Hence the delay. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I see this the complete opposite.

The leaks came out about two seconds after they cut him though, didn’t they? All of a sudden the fines were public knowledge. What a coincidence.

Watching Gase tap dance around that today was priceless. Maybe you believe a light went on in CJs Head during the draft, but I don’t. I buy into the story about Gase storming out of the war room over what was going on during the draft. He had just been hired, and knew this was a perfect time to cut Macc off at the knees. He staged a coup, got him fired, hand picked his GM.

Maybe Gase is a good coach, and he picked the right GM, we’ll see. If he wins, I give him all the credit, but if he loses, it’s all on him. He’s the ringmaster here.

Lets wait for him to win a game or two before we start patting him on the back though.

He didnt tap dance around the Williamson injury.  He took responsibility for that one.  Something Blowes and Rex would never do.  Blowes loved to justify punting down 2 scores late in the 4th quarter.

I hear you tho.

Remind me...ftr...

Who was your choice for HC again?

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I was musing today about this multi-month event, and I suddenly had some POSITIVE thoughts about it all, Dog have mercy on me ... :) 

First, I suspect disgust with this pick within the Jets building - from Gase and others - was palpable to Chris Johnson right after the draft (if not during it.) If he didn't already have reasons to investigate what was up within the organization, or come the the conclusion that Mac and his allies were clueless, this reach and the lack of due diligence it displayed might have either been what broke the camel's back - or lead Chris to the camel.

Second, the meritocracy is hopefully here. Cutting Polite (and Gase's immediate jettison of Lee) showed all the staff and players that spots were earned, not granted. Also, I have not read any reports about players feeling like they didn't get a fair shot, or stating that a cut teammate didn't get a fair shot. Working in a place where fairness is a value helps everyone.

Lastly: note that although Polite's poor behavior must have started pretty early on, there was not a PEEP from coaches or players to the press or anyone else about any details, all during training camp. THIS IS GOOD, and IMHO, important. I think it demonstrates a big change in mentality, to one where the players, front office and the coaches have a unified purpose and goal, where it was clear to all that leaks to people outside the organization are NOT cool, and that internal issue are just that - in house. It's tough enough just to field a team and compete - but if you don't have factions in the locker room, the office suite and the executive boxes, THAT is a significant plus. 

Excellent points!!!  How many infractions did Polite commit in FOUR months to generate 100K in fines???

It boggles the mind

• Sympathy 1

This is a GREAT post. I totally agree, I was going to write something similiar.
I love how clueless the Jets beat was, PFT broke the 100k fine story and then they all ran with it. They are there every day and had no clue. That is good news, Gase is running a tight ship.
Also like that Gase did all this quietly and didn't need to gloat or handle things publicly. Nope. Fine Polite, Cut Polite and when the media asks be vague. Accountability has been lacking here forever. This is a refreshing change.

Since Gase came on board it seems that the beat writers have been completely out of the loop which is about time. This organization has had enough leaks to sink a cruise ship over the last few years and it’s refreshing that 2 big developments (the Mac Axe and Polite cutting) just happened without any knowledge from the media

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

He didnt tap dance around the Williamson injury.  He took responsibility for that one.  Something Blowes and Rex would never do.  Blowes loved to justify punting down 2 scores late in the 4th quarter.
I hear you tho.
Remind me...ftr...
I agree w roadfan here Gase leaks his ass off when it benefits him. McCagnan leaks ... Gase micromanages and leaks at will to position himself in the power seat.

That being said ... He hasn't been proven wrong yet ... So all is good for now. He does seem diehard and convicted in his ideals about team building.

... But make no mistake. ... This guys seems like he could be an extreme Machiavellian. A guy that is convinced his way is the only way ... And will scheme to ensure that his ideals are seemingly never at fault.

Time will tell and as long as the team wins I really don't care about any of the politics involved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

And please, enough with this was a horrible  pick by Mac. At least half the people who post here thought the light finally went on after he was selected, probably more. In the end, yeah, this was possibly a worse pick than Hack, possibly the worst selection in the entire draft but nobody was saying that after he was selected.

D090A8A6-7147-4671-ABB4-20DDA5304F30.gif.0b0ef025265c2e0ae82563dabb48be3e.gif

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

It seems as though CJ needed to be convinced that Mac was more of the issue and not Bowles... JMHO. Hence the delay. 

I am not sure CJ was capable of hiring a GM or a coach without help, Mac was familiar and provided some guidance, interviews, etc...  I don't think any of us wanted the Korn Ferry fiasco again and FA was important for this team to take the next step - Bell had to be a priority

just my opinion of course but it does explain why it happened,  the extensions were the real mistake, both bowles and mac should have been fired a year earlier

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Since Gase came on board it seems that the beat writers have been completely out of the loop which is about time. This organization has had enough leaks to sink a cruise ship over the last few years and it’s refreshing that 2 big developments (the Mac Axe and Polite cutting) just happened without any knowledge from the media

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My memory is that it was both were leaked publicly via the media.

Rumors were made public, before the firing, that Maccagnan was on the hot seat. Fans just mostly chose to scoff at what they considered ridiculous (if not impossible), given the post-draft timing. 

Same exact thing verbatim with Polite being on the roster bubble. It was leaked well before he was cut - we had a long thread about it here after the leak - but given how unusual such timing would be for a high 3rd round pick rookie, the likelihood  was similarly scoffed at by the overwhelming majority (even by those in favor of it). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I hear you tho.

Remind me...ftr...

Here's my honest answer.

I wanted GW, I thought he did a nice job in Cleveland, but I understand going with an offensive minded guy, Kingsbury intrigued me, along with Moncken. I never really saw Gase beyond an OC here, didn't want McCarthy or the Baylor guy.

I think Ruhle was the choice the Jets wanted, along with GW as DC and Kingsbury the OC, then Gase in that job.

After the dominoes fell, Gase was hired, and I was fine with that. I still am. I love the CS he has around him. I'm just not the type to heap blind praise on someone until I see him actually coach real games.His "performance" in PCs doesn't matter to me the way it does to a lot of people here. It sounds like I'm not a fan, but if I were him, I'd have done things exactly the way he has this offseason given that this is his second and probably last chance as an HC. He seems like an alpha type, and I like that. There's nothing wrong with making bold moves behind the scenes to increase your power, and surrounding yourself with your own guys. The thing with that is he's put it all on himself. Like I said, he gets all the credit or all the blame depending on how this goes.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Gase is the best choice for Darnold. Gase has huge confidence in Sam & will challenge him to run this uptempo offense & get better at it each week. Mistakes will be made, Sams a 2nd year QB but Gase is gonna push the envelope & turn this kid into a star! You don't play scared with a guy like Sam Darnold, remember Gase press conference talking about not handcuffing a QB like Sam.

You don't beat the Patriots by playing pussyball like Bowles. You beat them like Rex did in that 2010 playoff game by KICKING THE F*CKING DOOR DOWN! Jets had talent that year & Rex had that team mentally prepared that they could win that game & they had the players to do it (great Oline, LT, Holmes, Braylon, Bart leading the D). 

Im starting to see similarities to that team other than the great Oline which I'm sure JD will focus on now that he's here. We'll have a much better QB in Sam, we've got QW on the line, Mosely at LB, Adams at safety, Bell behind Sam. These are confident NFL players. I'll say this, we may not have caught up to the Pats yet, but if we somehow have a lead against them in the 2nd half of a game, Gase won't go into no shell, he'll have Darnold challenging every inch of that football field to try to close them out.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Polite was an a$$hole. Anyone who doesn't  appreciate the opportunity to be a millionaire for playing a kids game is a moron and that is exactly  what Polite was so I'm glad he is gone but give me a break about Douglas. What other choice did he have with an idiot like this. 100k in fines his first camp? Are you kidding me? On top of it you don't  even look like you know what you're doing on the field? This was about as easy a cut as anyone could make and it is entirely  no skin off Douglas, it wasn't  his selection. 

And please, enough with this was a horrible  pick by Mac. At least half the people who post here thought the light finally went on after he was selected, probably more. In the end, yeah, this was possibly a worse pick than Hack, possibly the worst selection in the entire draft but nobody was saying that after he was selected. When Hack was selected,  people were ready to set fire to Met Life Stadium,  I saw no reaction like that other than, great, can Polite play C. 

It’s never an easy decision to cut a high 3rd round pick before the opening day roster of his rookie season, or it’d happen far more commonly. No matter how much some rookies act like brats - Polite is neither the first nor the last - most teams choose to just bench or suspend these cheap players with the hope/idea they will mature or improve much over the rookie season. No matter who drafted him, it’s still in the current regime’s interest that any inherited player turns it around for them because it’s one less significant, future investment required in the coming offseason. Especially so when it’s a position that is thin on the roster, and one that commonly gets drafted (even over-drafted) with high picks and/or costs a bundle in FA/trades.

Given how public these decisions are, it’s still a gutsy thing to do even if we fans with it today, and even if it was a fired GM’s pick. If Polite turns it around for another team it’ll reflect poorly upon those who cut coached/him here, with his rookie summer antics and raw/poor play something that should have been overlooked or dealt with differently. With so many players having a maturity light go on in career year 2 or 3 (both on and off the field), when you’ve got a healthy/cheap one locked up for 4 years the player’s hopeful/theoretical upside most often wins out at this juncture. 

It’s also likely the decision was made by all 3 (Douglas, Gase, and Williams) and not just Douglas. Typically the HC not the GM has final say over the roster he’s going to coach — I suppose unless it’s something outlandish like cutting a recently-acquired veteran with tons of guaranteed money remaining. But given the coaching authority Williams has over the D, and the Gase/Douglas relationship, it seems probable all 3 were like-minded on this one. 

I’m good with the decision, but it’s far easier for us than for those whose careers will be negatively marked if he somehow pans out elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think there is some type of honor code among NFL teams that discourages poaching other teams senior FO staff before the draft.   Douglas is the most senior and important to his former team GM candidate the Jets have hired in a long-time.   I also think Chris needed Mac as a sounding board to make the coach hire.  I think that process caused Mac to fall further down the ladder.  

But let’s not excuse Chris or the Johnson’s too quickly here.  The people Woody hired before, and the way he managed the team was just atrocious.   The bad news with the current developments is that they show how bad the prior organization was.  Really bad.  

It appears that Dorsey ran the show at the Chiefs before he got fired.   Good thing-he drafted Mahomes.  The Bills let Whaley organize the scouting, and then McDermott made the picks.  That would have been better here.  There was also some type of chicanery going on where Gase announced that the Jets were sticking with the 3-4, even though that is not how GW has coached.  Mac then went off and drafted Polite, a 3-4 rush LB.   Look at the roster now-they are clearly playing a 4-3, or mostly 4-2-5.  

I don’t know how we can expect the Jets to be a playoff team after wasting almost all of their draft picks the last 5 years.  This will take time and effort to fix.  Hopefully the Jets can avoid subjecting Darnold to the Matthew Stafford experience-good QB without a roster around him, now on his third contract with no playoffs to show for it.  What a waste.  

• Upvote 2

I have zero facts to back this up but I have the feeling that CJ legitimately went into this season with the thought of giving Macc one more year.  However, for CJ to strike when he did  I got the impression that Macc did not come off well during the Head Coaching search.  I thing that some of the more established coaches in the league like a McCarthy and even a Gase didn't have the best things to say about the roster construction.  I also think that while Bowles was not a good Head Coach, however the Johnson's had a ton of respect for the guy it seemed.  So I'm sure he had sort of an "Exit Interview" on the way out and didn't have the most glowing things to say about the roster construction and the F.O.   Long story short, I think the timing of the firing was sort of a domino effect with Gase knowing this is likely his last stop as a H.C. if he fails so he smelled blood in the water and made sure that if he was going down, he was going down on is terms.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't watch much college football at all. I started learning about Polite right after the Jets picked him. The first thing I learned was that he had maybe the worst combine in the history of the combine. Not just his workouts, but that he was absolutely terrible in his interviews, coming off as taking no responsibility for himself. So yeah, as positive as I could be from that moment was, "let's hope Mac knows something we don't," which was a dumb thought in retrospect. 

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I see this the complete opposite.

The leaks came out about two seconds after they cut him though, didn’t they? All of a sudden the fines were public knowledge. What a coincidence.

Watching Gase tap dance around that today was priceless. Maybe you believe a light went on in CJs Head during the draft, but I don’t. I buy into the story about Gase storming out of the war room over what was going on during the draft. He had just been hired, and knew this was a perfect time to cut Macc off at the knees. He staged a coup, got him fired, hand picked his GM.

Maybe Gase is a good coach, and he picked the right GM, we’ll see. If he wins, I give him all the credit, but if he loses, it’s all on him. He’s the ringmaster here.

Lets wait for him to win a game or two before we start patting him on the back though.

Is this Ciminis JN account?  

Come on dude, no one tap danced, he never denied the fines, just said he didnt want to discuss it.  He never said a light went on in CJs head, he said if the hate of the pick was in the building that should or could have been CJs warning sign.  

Gase is getting patted on the back for the moves hes made or been a part of.  Hes getting patted on the back to the demands hes making on his players and the culture changes we've seen so far.  Hes being patted on the back for pretty much everything hes done so far.

Of course he has to win.  But doesnt mean we cant be happy with what hes done up to now.  He hasnt had a game to win yet, what else can we  go with, imaginary situations.

He was the Jets choice to coach the team, not Ruhle, so far he hasnt done a thing to say they were wrong.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s never an easy decision to cut a high 3rd round pick before the opening day roster of his rookie season, or it’d happen far more commonly. No matter how much some rookies act like brats - Polite is neither the first nor the last - most teams choose to just bench or suspend these cheap players with the hope/idea they will mature or improve much over the rookie season. No matter who drafted him, it’s still in the current regime’s interest that any inherited player turns it around for them because it’s one less significant, future investment required in the coming offseason. Especially so when it’s a position that is thin on the roster, and one that commonly gets drafted (even over-drafted) with high picks and/or costs a bundle in FA/trades.

Given how public these decisions are, it’s still a gutsy thing to do even if we fans with it today, and even if it was a fired GM’s pick. If Polite turns it around for another team it’ll reflect poorly upon those who cut coached/him here, with his rookie summer antics and raw/poor play something that should have been overlooked or dealt with differently. With so many players having a maturity light go on in career year 2 or 3 (both on and off the field), when you’ve got a healthy/cheap one locked up for 4 years the player’s hopeful/theoretical upside most often wins out at this juncture. 

It’s also likely the decision was made by all 3 (Douglas, Gase, and Williams) and not just Douglas. Typically the HC not the GM has final say over the roster he’s going to coach — I suppose unless it’s something outlandish like cutting a recently-acquired veteran with tons of guaranteed money remaining. But given the coaching authority Williams has over the D, and the Gase/Douglas relationship, it seems probable all 3 were like-minded on this one. 

I’m good with the decision, but it’s far easier for us than for those whose careers will be negatively marked if he somehow pans out elsewhere.

Thank you for the civil response Sperm. Maybe we can get along  after all. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Generally I would understand and accept this, bit this is the same GM that proudly picked Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round. 

Stuff like that has to be ignored in order to need more convincing. 

Not saying you're wrong though, I think that's what happened. Im just saying that at some point we need to also blame the owner(s) for not seeing things going terribly left.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Generally I would understand and accept this, bit this is the same GM that proudly picked Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round. 

Stuff like that has to be ignored in order to need more convincing. 

Not saying you're wrong though, I think that's what happened. Im just saying that at some point we need to also blame the owner(s) for not seeing things going terribly left.

I've said this before, if I'm the owner of an NFL team & my GM believes he's smarter than a Head Coach that had been with the Patriots & coached a QB at Penn State & that said coach needs a QB & PASSES on drafting the QB HE COACHED in college in the NFL draft & after that my GM drafts said QB, EVERYONE involved in scouting, drafting, writing about the draft & draft prognosticators all hit the airwaves & write articles about how he was WAY OVER DRAFTED with many saying they thought he might go undrafted & then that player looks as bad as he did & bombs out of the NFL, how do you NOT FIRE THAT GUY SOONER? Seriously? 

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I was musing today about this multi-month event, and I suddenly had some POSITIVE thoughts about it all, Dog have mercy on me ... :) 

First, I suspect disgust with this pick within the Jets building - from Gase and others - was palpable to Chris Johnson right after the draft (if not during it.) If he didn't already have reasons to investigate what was up within the organization, or come the the conclusion that Mac and his allies were clueless, this reach and the lack of due diligence it displayed might have either been what broke the camel's back - or lead Chris to the camel.

Second, the meritocracy is hopefully here. Cutting Polite (and Gase's immediate jettison of Lee) showed all the staff and players that spots were earned, not granted. Also, I have not read any reports about players feeling like they didn't get a fair shot, or stating that a cut teammate didn't get a fair shot. Working in a place where fairness is a value helps everyone.

Lastly: note that although Polite's poor behavior must have started pretty early on, there was not a PEEP from coaches or players to the press or anyone else about any details, all during training camp. THIS IS GOOD, and IMHO, important. I think it demonstrates a big change in mentality, to one where the players, front office and the coaches have a unified purpose and goal, where it was clear to all that leaks to people outside the organization are NOT cool, and that internal issue are just that - in house. It's tough enough just to field a team and compete - but if you don't have factions in the locker room, the office suite and the executive boxes, THAT is a significant plus. 

agreed !.. excellent post ! !

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

13 hours ago, Bungaman said:

i buy it, except Maccagnon was fired in May? i just dont see how Polite was such a sh*t show already.

12 hours ago, Beaver said:

It's easy to cut another GMs picks that are bad.    We will have to see what Joe does with his own picks.  I suspect there will be more time given for them to possibly develop.

If Joe Douglas will be good at his job, this won't be an issue.  Rounds 1-3 will contribute somehow, and rounds 4-7 at a 50/50 rate will mean he doesn't have to let picks linger on for years to see if they are good.  He will just pick the good ones to start.