Something positive out of the Polite debacle ...

Bungaman

16 hours ago, win4ever said:

To me, this draft was classic display of the philosophy between Macc and Pats.  They both needed OL help, they pick up Cajuste, who I thought was the better prospect.  They pick up Winovich, after Polite even though I think the Michigan star was the better player.  Macc went upside in both instances (Edoga 5 star recruit, and Polite had a better pass rushing tape) without looking into the downside.  

Good points.

But, wow, who could foresee a player being both a disciplinary headache and invisible on the field? I mean, sure, you hear rumors but rarely do the rumors prove to be so true so quickly? Most people if there are rumors are going to try and prove them wrong, not go so deep into them. But this guy was so abysmally bad, I had to check to see that he wasn't taken in the 2nd round.

I just hope we finally have a GM who can draft. Because the history of drafting is sooo bad for this franchise. I thought we had improved under Macc but clearly more room for improvement.

the only good thing from this pick is that mac is no longer in the building.  i'm sure most fans gave him a break when devin smith turned into a china doll and then with hack since getting a franchise qb in the second round is a good thing if it works out.  but then when these are all bundled with ardarius and hansen and overdrafting lee it becomes pretty apparet the guy just didn't know how to draft. 

maybe polite will turn out to be a good player but given mac's draft record it's just not very likely.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Generally I would understand and accept this, bit this is the same GM that proudly picked Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round. 

Stuff like that has to be ignored in order to need more convincing. 

Not saying you're wrong though, I think that's what happened. Im just saying that at some point we need to also blame the owner(s) for not seeing things going terribly left.

Blame a 2nd year owner with not understanding what a good or bad draft/GM is yet... Not that it is excusable but it's understandable. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, phill1c said:

Good points.

But, wow, who could foresee a player being both a disciplinary headache and invisible on the field? I mean, sure, you hear rumors but rarely do the rumors prove to be so true so quickly? Most people if there are rumors are going to try and prove them wrong, not go so deep into them. But this guy was so abysmally bad, I had to check to see that he wasn't taken in the 2nd round.

I just hope we finally have a GM who can draft. Because the history of drafting is sooo bad for this franchise. I thought we had improved under Macc but clearly more room for improvement.

I think it's weird.  I was fine with the pick (albeit I liked Winovich better) but didn't think it was going to be this bad.  He had great burst off the line and looked pretty good on the field.  Once the season was over, his downfall has been quite drastic, which makes me wonder if there were drugs involved.  He just has spiraled since, and I just can't understand why he would do so.  

I don't mind the drafting, as much the lack of vision from the front office.  

Examples:

Geno Smith, coming from a pure air raid system to a west coast system based on timing.  That's pretty much as far away from each other as you can get.  One relies on simple reads and see who's running open to one based on intricate timing.  Pairing those two together is just awful.  

Whole Hackenberg saga where they seemed to just ignore him after drafting, like he had an injury rather than mechanical issues.  Almost to the point where I think they thought the trainers he hired would fix the issue.  

The lack of attention to the OL, which cause major issues for the offense.

The lack of attention to the offense as a whole, when the entire league is turning towards the offense.  

I can stand taking risks on picks and failing because at least the thought process was right.  I hate having terrible strategies combined with failing because it truly felt like there were actual amateurs that could do better. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, KRL said:

Excellent points!!!  How many infractions did Polite commit in FOUR months to generate 100K in fines???

It boggles the mind

I suspect he did what he was rumored to be doing in Florida.  Just didn't feel he needed to be at meetings.  As he missed, and was late for, more and more meetings the fines grew and grew for each offense.

When he wasn't producing in the games, Greg Williams threw him out the door.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I suspect he did what he was rumored to be doing in Florida.  Just didn't feel he needed to be at meetings.  As he missed, and was late for, more and more meetings the fines grew and grew for each offense.

When he wasn't producing in the games, Greg Williams threw him out the door.

ass and coke? those are the only thing that might make me late.