How long does our kicker, Kaare Vedvik, last?

jetstream23

How long does the new Jets Kicker, Vedvik, last?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. How long does the new Jets Kicker, Vedvik, last?

• He is gone in 4 weeks or less? (They make a switch at the Bye week)
    • He lasts past the Bye Week but is gone before the end of the year
    • He lasts the entire 2019 season but the Jets replace him next offseason
    • He is the Jets longterm kicker, lasting into the 2020 season and beyond

14 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I’ll withhold my vote until I see him kick in a pressure situation. Until then, it’s only guesswork with any kicker. 

At first I was going to give you a + rep for this post, then I realized, this guy has been kicking for a job in the NFL all summer, and he’s failed in that “pressure situation” so badly the team that gave up a draft pick for him, cut him in two weeks.

Nothing is impossible, maybe this guy can turn things around and have a good year, but we have seen nothing so far this preseason that supports it happening.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

At first I was going to give you a + rep for this post, then I realized, this guy has been kicking for a job in the NFL all summer, and he’s failed in that “pressure situation” so badly the team that gave up a draft pick for him, cut him in two weeks.

Nothing is impossible, maybe this guy can turn things around and have a good year, but we have seen nothing so far this preseason that supports it happening.

Not really. First off, I was talking about pressure kicks in a regular season game. Second, I’m not going to make a snap judgment about any kicker based on four kicks in preseason. Plus there’s been some weirdness going on in Minnesota with kickers lately. They’ve got a HC over there who wants a head on a spike whenever someone misses a kick. This kid never got much of a chance. 

44 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Not really. First off, I was talking about pressure kicks in a regular season game. Second, I’m not going to make a snap judgment about any kicker based on four kicks in preseason. Plus there’s been some weirdness going on in Minnesota with kickers lately. They’ve got a HC over there who wants a head on a spike whenever someone misses a kick. This kid never got much of a chance. 

Fair enough, nothing you’ve said in either post is unreasonable. I hope the kid ends up doing a good job. That’s what we both want to see happen.

At the end of the day we’re both just fans spitballing about our team. We’ll see how this all plays out in a few weeks...

Kid has a big leg and has had some success. If the Jets think he's coachable, I hope they give him a long leash and let him develop. The fact that he can double as the backup punter is also a plus.

It's funny around here, no one ever heard of him but the Jets all of a sudden had to make a trade for him. Then everyone was upset because they were outbid by Minnesota. Then he flubs in Minnesota, Jets get him for free, and people are questioning the move. I certainly don't see the Jets as a FG away from the Super Bowl this year, but if they can develop a strong-legged kicker over the course of the season into a long term solution, that easily works for me. 

One other thing, the assault he suffered in 2018 doesn't get discussed much. He was badly beaten, suffering head and face injuries and losing a few teeth in the process. That alone is a serious thing to come back from. 

• Upvote 1

He's the long-term solution.  Has the leg for it, and - yips in Minnesota with a bad holding situation aside - the accuracy.  Plus he's a rookie, meaning the Jets won't need to pay him any meaningful money for years.  Plan for him to be the kicker for the next 4 seasons; he'd have to completely screw the pooch to not be.

26 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Absolutely!

George Frederick Blanda (September 17, 1927 – September 27, 2010) was an American football quarterbackand placekicker who played professionally in the American Football League (AFL) and National Football League(NFL). Blanda played 26 seasons of professional football, the most in the sport's history, and had scored more points than anyone in history at the time of his retirement. Blanda retired from pro football in 1976 as the oldest player to ever play at the age of 48. He was one of only two players to play in four different decades (John Carney, who played 1988–2010, is the other), and he holds the record for most extra points made (943) and attempted (959).[1] During his career, he played under head coaches Bear Bryant, George Halas, and John Madden.

21 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

George Frederick Blanda (September 17, 1927 – September 27, 2010) was an American football quarterbackand placekicker who played professionally in the American Football League (AFL) and National Football League(NFL). Blanda played 26 seasons of professional football, the most in the sport's history, and had scored more points than anyone in history at the time of his retirement. Blanda retired from pro football in 1976 as the oldest player to ever play at the age of 48. He was one of only two players to play in four different decades (John Carney, who played 1988–2010, is the other), and he holds the record for most extra points made (943) and attempted (959).[1] During his career, he played under head coaches Bear Bryant, George Halas, and John Madden.

Yup. I remember the tail end of his career. Was a fan. 

I think I recall he got into a game for a few snaps and I was thrilled. Obviously he was 99% a placekicker the final years, but without looking at stats, I could swear he came in for a few passes one game in 75 or 76. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I remember there was an episode of Happy Days where Richie is watching Blanda on the TV and says something to the effect of, "he probably only has a couple years left." 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I’ll withhold my vote until I see him kick in a pressure situation. Until then, it’s only guesswork with any kicker. 

You’re allowed to have an opinion without knowing the answer. It’s okay to be wrong you know.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

He must really stink for vikes to give up so easy. If he was drilling 50 yarders with ease in practice, vikes would give him more time despite missing in the games.

He must be terrible in practice also. He will be gone shortly.

He was worse then terrible for the vikings.  It was an abomination is practice.

• Upvote 1