jetstream23

How long does our kicker, Kaare Vedvik, last?

How long does the new Jets Kicker, Vedvik, last?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. How long does the new Jets Kicker, Vedvik, last?

• He is gone in 4 weeks or less? (They make a switch at the Bye week)
    • He lasts past the Bye Week but is gone before the end of the year
    • He lasts the entire 2019 season but the Jets replace him next offseason
    • He is the Jets longterm kicker, lasting into the 2020 season and beyond

He will have a short leash. Most only know what they have read about him. Weeks ago he was the darling of just about every team needing a kicker. What happened in Minnesota who really knows. Did they try to change something in his approach?  Make the kicks he stays miss and next man up. Won’t bash him till he deserves it.

5 hours ago, slats said:

Kid has a big leg and has had some success. If the Jets think he's coachable, I hope they give him a long leash and let him develop. The fact that he can double as the backup punter is also a plus.

It's funny around here, no one ever heard of him but the Jets all of a sudden had to make a trade for him. Then everyone was upset because they were outbid by Minnesota. Then he flubs in Minnesota, Jets get him for free, and people are questioning the move. I certainly don't see the Jets as a FG away from the Super Bowl this year, but if they can develop a strong-legged kicker over the course of the season into a long term solution, that easily works for me. 

One other thing, the assault he suffered in 2018 doesn't get discussed much. He was badly beaten, suffering head and face injuries and losing a few teeth in the process. That alone is a serious thing to come back from. 

The assault doesn't get discussed much because  Vedvik won't discuss it.  Not even to police.  The whole episode is extremely weird.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

He must really stink for vikes to give up so easy. If he was drilling 50 yarders with ease in practice, vikes would give him more time despite missing in the games.

He must be terrible in practice also. He will be gone shortly.

Or the Vikings must be complete idiots for wasting a 5th on him.

Somehow before he was with the Vikes, who have a history of K problems, he was 12 of 13 with the Ravens who dont have those issues.  

Hopefully needs a small tweak and Boyer will do the same magic he did with Myers and others

• Upvote 2

I saw Vedvick's last game and remember making fun of how terrible he was....now he's my kicker. Sad.

5 hours ago, slats said:

One other thing, the assault he suffered in 2018 doesn't get discussed much. He was badly beaten, suffering head and face injuries and losing a few teeth in the process. That alone is a serious thing to come back from. 

Every NHL player plus Tom Glavine have all 'come back' from losing a few teeth.  

Just sayin' :)

• Like 1

If the Jets didn’t claim Vedvick, the Vikings would have added him to their practice squad, he has a very strong leg who had a bad couple of games. If the Jets like him, they will stick with him within reason.

37 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The assault doesn't get discussed much because  Vedvik won't discuss it.  Not even to police.  The whole episode is extremely weird.

He has spoken about it, he says he has no memory of what happened.

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or the Vikings must be complete idiots for wasting a 5th on him.

Somehow before he was with the Vikes, who have a history of K problems, he was 12 of 13 with the Ravens who dont have those issues.  

Hopefully needs a small tweak and Boyer will do the same magic he did with Myers and others

Could be both. I hear Jets put in a claim. Probably a 7th.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Isnt he on the team?  Hes listed on their official roster.  Am I losing it?  Could be

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Isnt he on the team?  Hes listed on their official roster.  Am I losing it?  Could be

I don't follow

55 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

He has spoken about it, he says he has no memory of what happened.

Yeah, and that could be the total truth.  It's still odd.  He was out with some teammates, they went home about 1am.  He stayed with some strange ladies.  At 3:30 one of the guys called him to see if he was alright.  He said he was good.  at 4am they found him beaten all to heck in an ally behind 4 abandoned houses.  No bars, or clubs, or even stores  for several blocks.

Just very strange circumstances.   

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah, and that could be the total truth.  It's still odd.  He was out with some teammates, they went home about 1am.  He stayed with some strange ladies.  At 3:30 one of the guys called him to see if he was alright.  He said he was good.  at 4am they found him beaten all to heck in an ally behind 4 abandoned houses.  No bars, or clubs, or even stores  for several blocks.

Baltimore gets sketchy super quick. Could have been drunk and ran into the wrong neighborhood etc.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

whoaaaaa!!!!

strange ladies indeed

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

I saw Vedvick's last game and remember making fun of how terrible he was....now he's my kicker. Sad.

Sad?  More like terrifying.  Vedshank needs to be replaced immediately.

Im looking forward to news tomorrow that guys like frye and santos have been brought in to compete this week.

• Upvote 1

Either he sucks out the gate and is gone within the first few weeks or he's our long term answer. I'll guess Minnesota was an aberration and it's the latter.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im looking forward to news tomorrow that guys like frye and santos have been brought in to compete this week.

image.jpeg.b295edc987e4a647ca6960decc180e76.jpeg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I saw nothing that made me think he was at all better than Bertolet. Thats why I'm puzzled. Might be Joe's only stupid move so far.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

He must really stink for vikes to give up so easy. If he was drilling 50 yarders with ease in practice, vikes would give him more time despite missing in the games.

He must be terrible in practice also. He will be gone shortly.

He was terrific in practice AND preseason games for the Ravens in 18. Terrible in both for the vikes, which screams psychology to me.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Waiver claims don't require draft compensation

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He was terrific in practice AND preseason games for the Ravens in 18. Terrible in both for the vikes, which screams psychology to me.

Which is what kicking is all about (mental).

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Waiver claims don't require draft compensation

You’re right, of course. Thank you. I meant we offered something to Ravens according to news reports. I was guessing a 7th.

Fair enough, nothing you’ve said in either post is unreasonable. I hope the kid ends up doing a good job. That’s what we both want to see happen.

At the end of the day we’re both just fans spitballing about our team. We’ll see how this all plays out in a few weeks...

Jason Myers was cut at the end of the preseason last year so it’s not that odd to have hope for this kid.

Here’s the real scoop. This guy was highly regarded on the ravens and has been hanging around with Justin tucker. He’s got the talent.

He has an incredible leg and is also a very good punter. What I see as the plan is that the jets are hoping this guy can take both positions of PK and P. This, in a similar way to carrying only 2 QB’s, will give incredible flexibility by creating another roster spot. The jets will essentially have a 54 man roster due to not having a spot taken by a punter.

That’s what they’re shooting for with this guy and I love it. Let’s just hope it works. They may be a little bit more patient than we’d like if he struggles a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Jason Myers was cut at the end of the preseason last year so it’s not that odd to have ole for this kid.

Here’s the real scoop. This guy was highly regarded on the ravens and has been hanging around with Justin tucker. He’s got the talent.
He has an incredible leg and is also a very good punter. What I see as the plan is that the jets are hoping this guy can take both positions of PK and P. This, in a similar way to carrying only 2 QB’s, will give incredible flexibility by creating another roster spot. The jets will essentially have a 54 man roster due to not having a spot taken by a punter.

That’s what they’re shooting for with this guy and I love it. Let’s just hope it works. They may be a little bit more patient than we’d like if he struggles a bit.

It's a funny thing with this guy, before the Viking trade and subsequent cutting of him, this kid was everyone's first choice as our new PK. It's not debatable though that a two week stint in Minny changed many people's minds about him. Whether that's fair or not, who knows?

I'm fine with signing him, my only complaint in this scenario is that the Jets never had more then one kicker in camp this summer, both before and after his signing. I just don't get the "all our eggs in one basket" approach.

39 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Jason Myers was cut at the end of the preseason last year so it’s not that odd to have hope for this kid.

This is an awful idea.  Hes here to kick fgs and hes not even good at that.  You want to put punting on his plate as well???  My goodness.

This is an awful idea.  Hes here to kick fgs and hes not even good at that.  You want to put punting on his plate as well???  My goodness.

He’s gonna change the world. You’re just old

It's a funny thing with this guy, before the Viking trade and subsequent cutting of him, this kid was everyone's first choice as our new PK. It's not debatable though that a two week stint in Minny changed many people's minds about him. Whether that's fair or not, who knows?
I'm fine with signing him, my only complaint in this scenario is that the Jets never had more then one kicker in camp this summer, both before and after his signing. I just don't get the "all our eggs in one basket" approach.

Yeah. It’s chink 1 in the armor surrounding joe Douglas and Adam Gase. I’m not going to make a bigger deal out of it than it is just yet but that’s a bad move that people may be pointing to as the first sign he blows.

Let’s hope not eh?

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You are so progressive.  Im envious.

Lets just hope Vedshank doesnt cost us the game Sunday.

I'm way ahead of the curve. One of the true thinkers of our time.  Vedshank, on the other hand? Not so much.  :) 

The only problem with my big plan is if he gets hurt. Then we're out two positions just like that.  I'm sure they have a plan for that too though. 

We're gonna change everything buddy. You'll see.