Could we be waiting until after game 1?

Jetster

The Jets did not sign any veterans who were cut ie. Marshall, but that doesn't mean Douglas isn't in contact with them. I believe that is when you can renegotiate the contract they had with the team that cut them? 

Brandon Marshall is the perfect veteran replacement for Avery Williamson THIS YEAR. It allows GW to bring the younger guys along in a rotation with Marshall. What other veterans were cut that they could be looking at after week 1? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets did not sign any veterans who were cut ie. Marshall, but that doesn't mean Douglas isn't in contact with them. I believe that is when you can renegotiate the contract they had with the team that cut them? 
Brandon Marshall is the perfect veteran replacement for Avery Williamson THIS YEAR. It allows GW to bring the younger guys along in a rotation with Marshall. What other veterans were cut that they could be looking at after week 1? 
I would not hold your breath ... These guys are working on their own timeline ... They know we are not winning this year .... That being said ... I agree. ... One year rental is a great idea. And I also agree that b Marsh would make a lot of sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

JD stated somewhere... I forget when... that he favors young talent versus veterans... I think if he goes after vested veterans they will have to be locker room pieces as well as being able to play on the field. He is not going to bring in some know-it-all veteran that isn't willing to fit in or drink the Kool-aid... 

Not to say Marshall wouldn't be willing. I just have been noticing it about every veteran he signs... All indications are they are great inside the locker room. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

JD stated somewhere... I forget when... that he favors young talent versus veterans... I think if he goes after vested veterans they will have to be locker room pieces as well as being able to play on the field. He is not going to bring in some know-it-all veteran that isn't willing to fit in or drink the Kool-aid... 

Not to say Marshall wouldn't be willing. I just have been noticing it about every veteran he signs... All indications are they are great inside the locker room. 

Two most important places in any org/business. The top, and the locker room.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I've never heard bad things about Brandon Marshall? Every time I saw Denver games he was a hustler showing up on the screen a lot. Gase was in Denver when Marshall was balling right? I think he'd be a great 1 year contract guy. Oh, and anyone thinking that Gase & JD don't believe they can compete this year is out of their mind. The NFL is a marathon & crazy sh*t happens, slumps, injuries, older guys fall off cliffs. We're not in tank mode & wont ever be while Darnold is here at QB. 

I think Gase & GW are generally excited with what they have to work with & are under no illusion this is a GREAT team, but, I believe they believe in themselves that they can coach this team I up & upset a few decent teams in the process. If the Oline can hold up Sam has enough weapons to challenge any defense, especially when Herndon returns. It's been said before, Bell, TY, Quincy, Robbie, Jamison, Herndon, that is a lot better group with Darnold than what Geno Smith won 8 games with once.

Anythings possible with an above average QB, some weapons & good coaching. How many times in the past as a fan have you gotten to Sunday, saw we were facing a back up QB & chalked off a win only to slump in your chair around 4:30 & say to yourself, how the f*ck did we lose that game? 

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I would not hold your breath ... These guys are working on their own timeline ... They know we are not winning this year .... That being said ... I agree. ... One year rental is a great idea. And I also agree that b Marsh would make a lot of sense.

Douglas wouldn't have brought Khalil Mack in if he wasn't worried about winning this year.

• WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I've never heard bad things about Brandon Marshall? Every time I saw Denver games he was a hustler showing up on the screen a lot. Gase was in Denver when Marshall was balling right? I think he'd be a great 1 year contract guy. Oh, and anyone thinking that Gase & JD don't believe they can compete this year is out of their mind. The NFL is a marathon & crazy sh*t happens, slumps, injuries, older guys fall off cliffs. We're not in tank mode & wont ever be while Darnold is here at QB. 

I think Gase & GW are generally excited with what they have to work with & are under no illusion this is a GREAT team, but, I believe they believe in themselves that they can coach this team I up & upset a few decent teams in the process. If the Oline can hold up Sam has enough weapons to challenge any defense, especially when Herndon returns. It's been said before, Bell, TY, Quincy, Robbie, Jamison, Herndon, that is a lot better group with Darnold than what Geno Smith won 8 games with once.

Anythings possible with an above average QB, some weapons & good coaching. How many times in the past as a fan have you gotten to Sunday, saw we were facing a back up QB & chalked off a win only to slump in your chair around 4:30 & say to yourself, how the f*ck did we lose that game? 

Again, I wasn't saying anything against Marshall or any other veteran out there... My point is that the veterans that JD had brought in are thought of higher in the locker room than they show on the field. 

On a different note, its interesting that the Jets have only 5 WRs and 2 of them have been used primarily in ST... Yes, I know Bellamy showed something in PS game 4 and Berrios is a guy Gase scouted at Miami... just a bit worried with Enuwa's injury history is all.

And Pats keeping all 6 of their RBs was also interesting to me as I stated in the other thread with only 8 OL and 2 TEs. I was hoping for a Bolden or Burkhead to shake loose.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nobody you're adding to the roster is going to make any bit of difference this season.

That’s fine though. Let the new coaching staff and GM evaluate the bottom of the roster and not waste draft resources on trades. They will have a full offseason together to HOPEFULLY do things properly unlike the last 5 years. Let’s give the new leadership a chance and hope for the best. It’ll be crunch time since we will only have 2 years with Sam on a rookie deal and hopefully a decent team after next years FA moves/draft. 

It’s a shame that the Darnold window of opportunity has been wasted for the first 2 years even though we KNEW we were going to draft a young QB and did nothing to prepare for that event even though we waited 4 offseasons to do it. The last decade of Jets football has been pitiful with  the Mac and Bowles era being the worst and most prolonged part. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Again, I wasn't saying anything against Marshall or any other veteran out there... My point is that the veterans that JD had brought in are thought of higher in the locker room than they show on the field. 

On a different note, its interesting that the Jets have only 5 WRs and 2 of them have been used primarily in ST... Yes, I know Bellamy showed something in PS game 4 and Berrios is a guy Gase scouted at Miami... just a bit worried with Enuwa's injury history is all.

And Pats keeping all 6 of their RBs was also interesting to me as I stated in the other thread with only 8 OL and 2 TEs. I was hoping for a Bolden or Burkhead to shake loose.

Shocked about the Pats & the RBs, I think they knew the Jets would be all over Burkhead. Damian Harris looked real good & threw a monkey wrench in the Pats plans. Any injuries & they'll have to cut a RB. 

38 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s fine though. Let the new coaching staff and GM evaluate the bottom of the roster and not waste draft resources on trades. They will have a full offseason together to HOPEFULLY do things properly unlike the last 5 years. Let’s give the new leadership a chance and hope for the best. It’ll be crunch time since we will only have 2 years with Sam on a rookie deal and hopefully a decent team after next years FA moves/draft. 

It’s a shame that the Darnold window of opportunity has been wasted for the first 2 years even though we KNEW we were going to draft a young QB and did nothing to prepare for that event even though we waited 4 offseasons to do it. The last decade of Jets football has been pitiful with  the Mac and Bowles era being the worst and most prolonged part. 

I dont know that this year is a waste.  I mean, sure if you're talking about contending but there is plenty on offense to make it work that this season isnt a waste.  It's all about Sam progression and there are no excuses for Gase and company.  The offense has plenty to work with.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont know that this year is a waste.  I mean, sure if you're talking about contending but there is plenty on offense to make it work that this season isnt a waste.  It's all about Sam progression and there are no excuses for Gase and company.  The offense has plenty to work with.

100% agreed on Sam and his development alone makes it not a “waste”. It’s just a shame that we didn’t have a solid roster built by now since the roster probably will hold the team back and not the young QB. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

100% agreed on Sam and his development alone makes it not a “waste”. It’s just a shame that we didn’t have a solid roster built by now since the roster probably will hold the team back and not the young QB. 

Agreed.  What Mac was allowed to do here for as long as he did was an abomination.  This team should be primed right now yet we're probably 2 good offseasons away.

There is a core nucleus here that could be very good to build around on both sides of the ball. Douglas isnt taking over complete sh*t, like Idzick and Mac were but he's got his work cut out for him.  Luckily for him, the hardest part seems to be taken care of with Darnold but he has pieces to build around on both sides of the ball.  He dosent need to break the entire roster down, which is a nice change of pace for a new Head Coach around these parts.  I'm not sure any coach has ever inherited a QB in the history of the NY Jets. 

• Upvote 4

I think everyone in the front office is still trying to figure out what they have in this team. I sort of think they're hesitant right now to lean one way or another. 

Maybe after a few games you'll see some moves one way or another once they get some eyes and data on the current on-the-field product. 

Like Jimmy V said, don't give up, don't ever give up. 

I could care less how we get to the playoffs to have a chance of playing after December. The opposing QB in the 1st round could self combust. Footballers so many variables, you could get to a playoff game & have Bell go off for 180 yards or 250 with receiving yards. 

You could have Sam Darnold make a name for himself by scrambling around & making big holy sh*t plays. You guys are such pussies, always think big, when you sat down to watch the Super Bowl in 2001 did you think the Patriots had a chance of to beat the high flying Rams? 

Anything is possible. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  What Mac was allowed to do here for as long as he did was an abomination.  This team should be primed right now yet we're probably 2 good offseasons away.

There is a core nucleus here that could be very good to build around on both sides of the ball. Douglas isnt taking over complete sh*t, like Idzick and Mac were but he's got his work cut out for him.  Luckily for him, the hardest part seems to be taken care of with Darnold but he has pieces to build around on both sides of the ball.  He dosent need to break the entire roster down, which is a nice change of pace for a new Head Coach around these parts.  I'm not sure any coach has ever inherited a QB in the history of the NY Jets. 

I don’t know if we’re 2 offseasons away — it shouldn’t take 2 offseasons after 6 years of rebuilding-mode offseasons anyway. Even under a bad prior regime there are several players worth keeping. 

What’ll take time is more than bandaids (like we have now) on the OL. It may be ok for the year, provided they stay healthy, but there’s still serious work to do for anything sustainable. The only 2019 opening-day starters signed past this season are Osemele and Winters, who both become UFAs after the following season, and it’s at best a guess whether either will be worth extending beyond that. That’s an area that will take years to get a healthy next-man-up and veteran-exit pipeline. The CB situation isn’t too dissimilar either.

The obvious hope is that Darnold helps mask a lot of other personnel deficiencies so we don’t need near-perfection all over.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t know if we’re 2 offseasons away — it shouldn’t take 2 offseasons after 6 years of rebuilding-mode offseasons anyway. Even under a bad prior regime there are several players worth keeping. 

What’ll take time is more than bandaids (like we have now) on the OL. It may be ok for the year, provided they stay healthy, but there’s still serious work to do for anything sustainable. The only 2019 opening-day starters signed past this season are Osemele and Winters, who both become UFAs after the following season, and it’s at best a guess whether either will be worth extending beyond that. That’s an area that will take years to get a healthy next-man-up and veteran-exit pipeline. The CB situation isn’t too dissimilar either.

The obvious hope is that Darnold helps mask a lot of other personnel deficiencies so we don’t need near-perfection all over.

That's why I said 2 offseasons.  Both the OL and CB's basically strip down and build up while looking for a pass rusher.   It shouldnt take that but I'm being realistic.  

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

You dont know football people if you think they believe for a minute that they cant win this year and wont try everything they can to win 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Agreed. If Maccagnan was even somewhat competent at drafting there would be several more pieces already in place, and this roster would be in a MUCH better place.  Next offseason is crucial, you’ll  have 2020 and 2021 with a cheap QB.  After that things will change some.   

12 hours ago, JiF said:

When the Jets trade for  LT  Trent Williams that's going to make a big difference to the Jets offense line.  Only a matter of time before the Redskins trade him now, or so I was told .     So make it happen Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, Jetster said:

We already had Williamson's replacement on the roster Neville Hewitt

6 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

When the Jets trade for  LT  Trent Williams that's going to make a big difference to the Jets offense line.  Only a matter of time before the Redskins trade him now, or so I was told .     So make it happen Joe Douglas.

Jets OL is fine.  Thanks for Osemele.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Wait.  Are you trying to lie right now because you’ve been wrong all offseason and try to act like I made I claim I never made?  I never said the Jets would trade for him, just that he won’t play week 1.

You suck at this.  Where is the Jalen Ramsey trade you guaranteed?