Our wide receiving group

JohnnyLV

I have to admit that I am surprised and a little confused over the wide receiver group as it stands now.

To be honest, it seems a little confusing.

First of all, there are only 5 WRs. I understand that Montgomery and Bell will both be used extensively in a wide receiving role, both running routes out of the backfield and sometimes lined up outside but its not the same as depth at WR.

We have a single "outside" receiver in Anderson.

We have a single flanker (with injury history) in Q. I LOVE Q, but he is not durable, and is really not effective as an X receiver.

We have 2 slot receivers, one a very solid veteran (also with some injury history) and a completely unproven 2nd year player coming off a complete season injury and cut by NE.

We have a flexible receiver in Bellamy as #5, but he is mostly a special teams guy.

We have no size on the outside.

We have a single guy with disruptive speed.

We have no depth at all -not keeping Burnett is sort of bewildering but its clear the coaching staff didnt love him and viewed him almost entirely as a slot guy.

I am concerned about depth, and concerned we will be unable to stretch the field leading to a lot of 3rd down "failed completions" and a compressed box limiting Bell.

I actually expected them to keep 7 WRs, if only for subbing due to the up-tempo offense they keep saying they are going to run.

It frankly confuses me.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   This group has a lot of redundancy and not a lot of versatility IMO.   Plus there aren’t any developmental guys waiting in the wings to step up in case of injuries or for future seasons.  

mccagnan was horrible at drafting wrs.  right now the 'depth' is berrios and dortch.  maybe they'll sign someone after week 1.  also tough to see what they're going to do at TE w/o herndon.  

• Upvote 2

Bell has more receptions per game than Chris Carter and M Irving.

Add in that Montgomery was drafted as a WR and can catch out of the backfield while will also line up outside

5 WRs isnt a confusing number anymore than the roster is complete, cant change after week one

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

31 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

First of all, there are only 5 WRs. I understand that Montgomery and Bell will both be used extensively in a wide receiving role, both running routes out of the backfield and sometimes lined up outside but its not the same as depth at WR.

We have a single "outside" receiver in Anderson.

We have a single flanker (with injury history) in Q. I LOVE Q, but he is not durable, and is really not effective as an X receiver.

We have no size on the outside.

We have a single guy with disruptive speed.

We have no depth at all -not keeping Burnett is sort of bewildering but its clear the coaching staff didnt love him and viewed him almost entirely as a slot guy.

Welcome to my nightmare, where the jets are allergic to talent at X and Z and insist on counting their laurels in slots. 

• Thumb Down 1

There are about 6 guys on this team who are excellent pass catchers.   In order I would put them as Bell, Crowder, Enunwa, Anderson, Montgomery, Herndon.  Plenty of hands on this offense to catch passes from Sam Darnold.

The resiliency of the group lies with Crowder I believe.  He's the starting Slot WR, but I also think he'd be the first guy to jump outside if Robby or Enunwa weren't available, injured, etc.  It could be the case that the trickle down effect is the movement of Crowder outside to fill one of those spots puts Montgomery in the slot, maybe Berrios to a degree as well.  But he's pretty new.

Bottom line - Don't get hung up on how many guys are given the "Wide Receiver" position label.  Montgomery is an X factor in the passing game, and once Herndon returns....look out!  Would love to see what Gase cooks up with Bell, Montgomery, Herndon, Crower and Anderson all on the field at the same time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

if darnold is limited to maybe 30 or so passes per game that means there are maybe 20 receptions.  that's about 320 receptions.  spread that around the receivers they have and they have plenty.  bell is going to get quite a few balls thrown his way as will crowder and anderson. herndon, enunwa will fill out the rest.

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bell has more receptions per game than Chris Carter and M Irving.

Add in that Montgomery was drafted as a WR and can catch out of the backfield while will also line up outside

5 WRs isnt a confusing number anymore than the roster is complete, cant change after week one

I down voted this down because it was a sh*t post that's become all to familliar with your recent string of mindless conjecture, posing as some sort of faux-messiah of patience/prudence. 

What's your excuse. 

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There are about 6 guys on this team who are excellent pass catchers.  

And none of them are outside/red zone threats. This isn't about whether we have people who can catch the ball, it's about static talent in the WR room... we don't have anyone in the cooker at 6'3 looking to be our next Split End, or anything behind chest full of christmas elves. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And none of them are outside/red zone threats. This isn't about whether we have people who can catch the ball, it's about static talent in the WR room... we don't have anyone in the cooker at 6'3 looking to be our next Split End, or anything behind chest full of christmas elves. 

we know mccagnan swung and missed badly on wrs.  fortunately he found anderson.

with herndon the aggregate weapons on offense are fine if bell is still viable.  and the best weapon of all is hopefully darnold anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   This group has a lot of redundancy and not a lot of versatility IMO.   Plus there aren’t any developmental guys waiting in the wings to step up in case of injuries or for future seasons.  

Well Jeff Smith and Dortch can both be brought up from the PS even up to 1 hour before the games on Sunday, so if they really had to, they could cut a player and bring one of those guys up on a Sunday morning. But meanwhile the 53 man roster targets for passes includes those 5 WRs, 3 TEs all that can catch, and 4 RBs all that can catch. That's 12 targets that can be legit pass catchers. That should be sufficient.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I down voted this down because it was a sh*t post that's become all to familliar with your recent string of mindless conjecture, posing as some sort of faux-messiah of patience/prudence. 

What's your excuse. 

Mindless conjuncture and shlt that has me posing as some sort of faux-messiah?

LOL, tell me again how stupid I was for not wanting Paxton Lynch or any of the other never have beens you preached about to me and insulted me for have the audacity to have my own opinion?

Ive watched more football than you, more live football than you and as the expression goes, have forgotten more about the game than you think you know.

Dont know who you think you are with your pompous comments.  Just ignore me if you find me so offensive 

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You learn that in El Barrio??

If we corrected All the grammar we saw that was incorrect, we would grow a beard while doing it. 

LOL. No I'm unfortunately the white English major gentrifying East Harlem.

And right you are. And I'm sure autocorrect is a major culprit. But I will correct this great injustice. ?

1 minute ago, ElBarrioJets said:

And right you are. And I'm sure autocorrect is a major culprit. But I will correct this great injustice. ?

I lived on 91st between 1st and 2nd in summers. as a kid was told...don’t go North of 96 street.  Now it’s totally different.  Go to ITALKI and learn some Spanish.?.  My new hobby. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Me, its that 98% of all who use then and than get it wrong.  Its like no one even heard of "than"

• Upvote 1