Our wide receiving group

JohnnyLV

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I lived on 91st between 1st and 2nd in summers. as a kid was told...don’t go North of 96 street.  Now it’s totally different.  Go to ITALKI and learn some Spanish.?.  My new hobby. 

It's probably the last remotely cheap rent in Manhattan, hence why I'm here. Gotta say I love it. Amazing mix of cultures and if you haven't been, Taco Mix has the best tacos in the city. 

And it's definitely changed in just the decade I've been here. I've had multiple old timers tell me, unprompted mind you, I would have been dead in 10 minutes in the 80s lol.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Paradis said:

And none of them are outside/red zone threats. This isn't about whether we have people who can catch the ball, it's about static talent in the WR room... we don't have anyone in the cooker at 6'3 looking to be our next Split End, or anything behind chest full of christmas elves. 

Hey, I'd like the next Megatron as much as anybody, but there's not even a chance of that happening until the next offseason, Draft, etc. We are what we are, man!  There's no true #1 WR on this team that people have to fear like Julio, Hopkins, Michael Thomas, etc. but absent of that I really like this group.

Like it or not, Robby has to be the X right now.  He is slightly built but at 6'3" he can get up for a ball.  Enunwa is 6'2"....and BOTH of those guys are bigger than anyone on the KC Chiefs WR Depth chart.  Say that statement out loud again.  In fact, 2 of the top 3 WRs on the Chiefs are 5'10"!!!

I may be in the minority here but I really like the mix of guys we have right now GIVEN that we don't have that true #1 WR.  Assuming they all stay healthy I think this will be a more dynamic group than many people expect. There's a mix of size, speed, physicality and shiftiness on this offense.  I'd love to have that elite WR1 who embodies all of those traits in a single player, but that's a luxury we just don't have.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Hey, I'd like the next Megatron as much as anybody, but there's not even a chance of that happening until the next offseason, Draft, etc. We are what we are, man!  There's no true #1 WR on this team that people have to fear like Julio, Hopkins, Michael Thomas, etc. but absent of that I really like this group.

Like it or not, Robby has to be the X right now.  He is slightly built but at 6'3" he can get up for a ball.  Enunwa is 6'2"....and BOTH of those guys are bigger than anyone on the KC Chiefs WR Depth chart.  Say that statement out loud again.  In fact, 2 of the top 3 WRs on the Chiefs are 5'10"!!!

I may be in the minority here but I really like the mix of guys we have right now GIVEN that we don't have that true #1 WR.  Assuming they all stay healthy I think this will be a more dynamic group than many people expect. There's a mix of size, speed, physicality and shiftiness on this offense.  I'd love to have that elite WR1 who embodies all of those traits in a single player, but that's a luxury we just don't have.

i cherish your half full glass.... and yes, you're right. I know it is what it is right now -- but I just wonder why the eff they didn't even try to find some depth on the outside.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mindless conjuncture and shlt that has me posing as some sort of faux-messiah?

LOL, tell me again how stupid I was for not wanting Paxton Lynch or any of the other never have beens you preached about to me and insulted me for have the audacity to have my own opinion?

Ive watched more football than you, more live football than you and as the expression goes, have forgotten more about the game than you think you know.

Dont know who you think you are with your pompous comments.  Just ignore me if you find me so offensive 

cherry picking doesn't look good on you. 

Anywho football...

WR is certainly odd on this roster. I think you're going to see some movement after Week 1 after the dust settles and veteran salaries aren't guaranteed. A guy like Deonte Thompson could actually make some sense then. 

But I think for the first time...ever since I've been a Jet fan, ALL of our RBs can catch. Like really well. So maybe we're overthinking this one a bit. 

• Upvote 1

I like our wr’s too. I think they will be real good but with 5 wr why can’t we sign a big tall one and drop Sheppard from dL. If we get one from another team practice squad we have to put on 53 but who cares we can only suit up so many on game days. he can learn while sitting out. Go get someone to learn like doss or westley or someone with promises not a small one we have those.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

As long as the starters stay healthy, I’m not concerned. They look pretty good. I like the starters. The concern is the depth. One injury and things look awful. 

There’s a lot of flexibility amongst the starters though. They all have different skill sets. 

Bingo.

I remember thinking late last season that this group needed another WR. That group had suffered injuries.... Enunwa was out for the year. Honestly, I think they added a very nice piece in Jamison Crowder and I'm hoping if the group stays healthy it could turn out to be a nice group.

My guess is that Gase isn't too much worried about the quality of receivers past a certain point. He's been salivating for a talent like Darnold and he'll find ways to cover up the holes.  He signed on for Darnold not Robbie and Quincy.  I don't think we have the best group but I've seen worse.

• Upvote 2

If you're one of the "In JD we trust" guys, or a member of the Gase fan club, you have to stop blaming Macc for a receiving corps you aren't happy with.

Douglas and Gase have been here long enough to address the WR and CB situation if they felt they needed to be upgraded. They could have traded players from areas of strength such as DL, or given up pick(s) for better players. They've chosen to do nothing but churn the bottom of the roster, so they can't be too concerned.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If you're one of the "In JD we trust" guys, or a member of the Gase fan club, you have to stop blaming Macc for a receiving corps you aren't happy with.

Douglas and Gase have been here long enough to address the WR and CB situation if they felt they needed to be upgraded. They could have traded players from areas of strength such as DL, or given up pick(s) for better players. They've chosen to do nothing but churn the bottom of the roster, so they can't be too concerned.

You can't be serious. JD came in after the draft and free agency period, what more could you expect him to do than churn the bottom of the roster? Gase also forced Mac out after that period so I'm not sure how you can put any blame on him for the top of the roster. At the very least JD got Kalil to come out of retirement.

Lets see how he does next year, not when he steps into a position where almost every important roster decision has already been made. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

In all honesty I think two things are happening. One is that they are actually happy with what they have for Darnold to play with overall. Crowder, Q, Anderson, Bell, Montgomery, Powell, Brown, Griffin, Wesco, Berrios, Bellamy and Herndon after week 4. Good group albeit not stellar. I think Gase has some greta game plans ready to utilize all of those guys in ways we haven't seen yet. 

But second I think they are gonna grab a vet after week one. Someone like Docson or Tory Smith etc may be coming in. I could see Jaylen Smith too because of the Ravens connection. He's got some talent and great size.  Wouldn't it be fun to see Terrell Pryor come back. Darnold probably loved that guy if the first half of his 2018 highlight film is any indicator. They screwed him by cutting that guy just as he and Sam were developing chemistry.  He's exactly the type of guy you wouldn't want to guarantee the whole season's pay check. lol 

I'd LOVE to see Pryor back until I learn what the real deal is with him and why he can't stick. 

Anyway, That's what I think. One Gase is happy overall. Two, we will see how week one goes and bring in another guy who's floating around if need be. There are quite a few out there right now including Burnett. 

PS. Dortch is sitting on the PS if we need him too. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RobR said:

You can't be serious. JD came in after the draft and free agency period, what more could you expect him to do than churn the bottom of the roster? Gase also forced Mac out after that period so I'm not sure how you can put any blame on him for the top of the roster. At the very least JD got Kalil to come out of retirement.

Lets see how he does next year, not when he steps into a position where almost every important roster decision has already been made. 

It's not the worst point. If JD and Gase were really concerned about the WR situation they could have been more aggressive to bring someone in. Hell, Docson was available on waivers (I believe). We could have just grabbed him before the Vikes did.  They didn't have a whole offseason, but there was more they could do if they felt the need was dire. I think they are ok with what we have. They probably think Darnold is going to make everyone look good anyway. All they gotta do is keep the pass rush off of him for 3-4 seconds and they did a pretty good job addressing our OL. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

But second I think they are gonna grab a vet after week one. Someone like Docson or Tory Smith etc may be coming in. I could see Jaylen Smith too because of the Ravens connection. He's got some talent and great size.  Wouldn't it be fun to see Terrell Pryor come back. Darnold probably loved that guy if the first half of his 2018 highlight film is any indicator. They screwed him by cutting that guy just as he and Sam were developing chemistry.  He's exactly the type of guy you wouldn't want to guarantee the whole season's pay check. lol 

If they were that good teams wouldn't be waiting until after the first week and Doctson was already signed. This entire theory of waiting until after week one too sign these guys so their salary is not guaranteed is nothing but a myth. If they were worth anything they'd be on a dirt cheap contract right now regardless if it is guaranteed for the year. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm not talking about an overhaul. My point is, if the WRs are really as much of a concern as people in this thread are saying, he's had plenty of time to swing a trade. I happen to think we're in pretty good shape as far as the WR position goes, and when Herndon comes back we'll be fine. How many really elite WRs are there in this league, maybe 5? A good QB elevates an offense way more then any receiver does obviously. The good ones throw guys open, ala Brady, Brees, etc. If Darnold improves to a QB near that level, our receiving corps will look just fine.

Not looking to pick nits here Rob, but the Kalil thing has accomplished what so far? Forgive me if I'm not overly excited by a guy coming of injured seasons coming out of retirement for one last pay day. Maybe if he'd gotten on the field for a snap or two I'd feel differently.

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's not the worst point. If JD and Gase were really concerned about the WR situation they could have been more aggressive to bring someone in. Hell, Docson was available on waivers (I believe). We could have just grabbed him before the Vikes did.  They didn't have a whole offseason, but there was more they could do if they felt the need was dire. I think they are ok with what we have. They probably think Darnold is going to make everyone look good anyway. All they gotta do is keep the pass rush off of him for 3-4 seconds and they did a pretty good job addressing our OL. 

LOL, once again I take the time to reply to someone else, and then I see you beat me by a minute with basically the same reply?

How many times have I brought up that "great minds think alike" thing with you lately? 

:good:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

My only point was the timeline that Gase and then even later when JD came aboard. They weren't getting a top flight WR or CB at that stage of the game. It would only be possible if he salvaged future picks which are worth so much more than what another team is throwing away as a castoff. 

We'll see next year what they are capable of. This year they were hamstrung by one of the worst GM's ever in Mac. You can't recover from that mere months after all of the important acquisition dates have passed.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

18 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm not talking about an overhaul. My point is, if the WRs are really as much of a concern as people in this thread are saying, he's had plenty of time to swing a trade. I happen to think we're in pretty good shape as far as the WR position goes, and when Herndon comes back we'll be fine. How many really elite WRs are there in this league, maybe 5? A good QB elevates an offense way more then any receiver does obviously. The good ones throw guys open, ala Brady, Brees, etc. If Darnold improves to a QB near that level, our receiving corps will look just fine.

Not looking to pick nits here Rob, but the Kalil thing has accomplished what so far? Forgive me if I'm not overly excited by a guy coming of injured seasons coming out of retirement for one last pay day. Maybe if he'd gotten on the field for a snap or two I'd feel differently.

I responded to your original post and stated why it was impossible for JD or even Gase too make a meaningful acquisition to this team. 

I agree that we are happy with what we are rolling out with to start the season and never said differently. 

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not cherry picking.  I'm quoting you.  Sorry 

really. Would love for you define what cherry picking is. In fact, ithink technically speaking, you'd have to quote me to cherry pick.  

but then, what i would i know, your highness. You've seen all the footballs. 

38 minutes ago, RobR said:

If they were that good teams wouldn't be waiting until after the first week and Doctson was already signed. This entire theory of waiting until after week one too sign these guys so their salary is not guaranteed is nothing but a myth. If they were worth anything they'd be on a dirt cheap contract right now regardless if it is guaranteed for the year. 

Oh I agree with the idea that if you want a player sign a player, but it happens every year. Who am I to try and say why? It happens and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. There are all sorts of logic that I don't agree with or understand but the stuff happens.  Let's see if it happens and we can chat about it then. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Oh I agree with the idea that if you want a player sign a player, but it happens every year. Who am I to try and say why? It happens and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. There are all sorts of logic that I don't agree with or understand but the stuff happens.  Let's see if it happens and we can chat about it then. 

Off the top of my head I can't recall any after week one signing amounting to anything. I'm sure I'm wrong about these players but even a vested vet guaranteed contract isn't much at this stage of the game. Look forward too it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

My only point was the timeline that Gase and then even later when JD came aboard. They weren't getting a top flight WR or CB at that stage of the game. It would only be possible if he salvaged future picks which are worth so much more than what another team is throwing away as a castoff. 

We'll see next year what they are capable of. This year they were hamstrung by one of the worst GM's ever in Mac. You can't recover from that mere months after all of the important acquisition dates have passed.

Sure, I don't think anyone is saying they should be categorized with teams without the GM turnover after the draft, but there was time and there were ways. If they saw it as dire they could have. There was enough time. I seriously don't think they see it as a problem. Not optimal I'm sure, but not a real concern. They would have kept Burnett or made some legit changes if they did IMO

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RobR said:

Off the top of my head I can't recall any after week one signing amounting to anything. I'm sure I'm wrong about these players but even a vested vet guaranteed contract isn't much at this stage of the game. Look forward too it.

Me neither although my memory, especially once we leave FLorahm Park is not to be relied upon. The point is that it happens. We will see how we look week one. If we light up the scoreboard and Gase is happy, we stick with what we have. If there are concerns, we sign Torrey Smith or Terrel Pryor ;-) 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL, once again I take the time to reply to someone else, and then I see you beat me by a minute with basically the same reply?

How many times have I brought up that "great minds think alike" thing with you lately? 

:good:

We're on to something man. What it is I have no idea but we're getting there.  :) 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure, I don't think anyone is saying they should be categorized with teams without the GM turnover after the draft, but there was time and there were ways. If they saw it as dire they could have. There was enough time. I seriously don't think they see it as a problem. Not optimal I'm sure, but not a real concern. They would have kept Burnett or made some legit changes if they did IMO

I just don't see the "times and ways" too add players that make a difference. All of the WR that hit FA and waivers were nothing more than a 4 or 5 WR's at best. Who were these hypothetical players that he could have added since he had enough time?

He tried for the CB position and that included multiple waiver claims and even traded for a couple that are now on the roster. It was tough sledding once he took the job and I'm failing too see all of these easy upgrades he could have made at that stage of the game.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. We are good on WR. It will help when plays are designed to get people open. Something we and a few other teams have refused to focus the game plan on. 

Already in preseason I have seen it. Scheme guys open. Not just ahhh lets throw to the wr covered by linebacker but rather force open players by calling a play to attack the def and give Sam at least one probable open guy and give him a back up RB short throw just in case.

For year you see every single play off team or top scoring offense seemingly get hit by magic and find a wide open reciever 15 yards deep on a end of game must score to win drive. They don't just get lucky they call plays to give them that. I'm so ready to be past our guys just need to somehow get open days.