Our wide receiving group

JohnnyLV

On 9/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, RobR said:

I just don't see the "times and ways" too add players that make a difference. All of the WR that hit FA and waivers were nothing more than a 4 or 5 WR's at best. Who were these hypothetical players that he could have added since he had enough time?

He tried for the CB position and that included multiple waiver claims and even traded for a couple that are now on the roster. It was tough sledding once he took the job and I'm failing too see all of these easy upgrades he could have made at that stage of the game.

This.

As though there’s a long list - or even a short list - of "true #1" WRs that teams are looking to unload between the draft/FA periods and week 1 lol.

The only sure starter moved who was worth a damn is Stills and Miami was clearly looking for future high draft picks not swapping him for a contract-needing DE/DT. Never mind he’s from a division rival, would require Miami to kick in a pick of their own to even it out, and most of all he’s not the type of major upgrade being spoken of here. He’s more or less a lateral move from the guys Darnold has already been getting familiar with these past preseason weeks and last season. Given his firsthand history with the player, if Gase thought that much of Stills he’d have been pounding the proverbial table for Douglas to get him.

Who else is there, other than fan-generated speculation that Atlanta is willing to part ways with Julio in August, on the heels of the 2nd best season of his HOF career.

• Upvote 2

as is Q and Rob have crappy catch % of targets (mid 50s) ...Crowdas has declined since a crazy 75% in 15.

Some of Q and Rob is crap QB play, crap OL, crap OC.

The OL, Sam and the HC will all need to step it up a significant notch and these dudes needa catch the ball.

Crowder and Q both had more drops than Rob.

Lots to prove.

A good QB can make an average receiving group look great. 

I am worried we're going to get too short-pass, or dump-off happy with Crowder and Q ans Bell out of the backfield... Teams can plan for that. But if Sam can land a few deep passes, or at least get close, to keep the defense honest, it will open up the rest of the field for those guys.

7 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Our receiver group is fine especially if Enunwa is healthy. Add Bell, Montgomery, and Herndon to that group and there are plenty of good options for the franchise to throw to. Depth is an issue but this group has more talent than people think. 

Agree.  My only concern is we have no depth at WR.  Mac missed on too many Ardarius Stewarts and Devin Smiths.

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

really. Would love for you define what cherry picking is. In fact, ithink technically speaking, you'd have to quote me to cherry pick.  

but then, what i would i know, your highness. You've seen all the footballs. 

You write me, call me names for no apparent reason then get pissed when I point out one of your many draft screw ups? Call it cherry picking like you're a draft savant?  

All of this because I posted that Bell averages more catches per game than C Carter and M Irvin?  Hes a 6'2", 225 lb when hes used as a WR.  ANd he has been.  Let's argue that then, that was were you jumped in with the name calling.  Go for that or SU. 

Cant stop, keep coming after someone who has never broken your balls for being so full of yourself over your picks?  

And yes, I've seen tons of football.  Want to pointlessly debate that too?  You sound like an insecure child, move on.  I'm sick of people like you, posting to me out of leftfield over nothing, calling me names and then cyprying.  F' off, not worth it, go chase someone else, someone who care. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You write me, call me names for no apparent reason then get pissed when I point out one of your many draft screw ups? Call it cherry picking like you're a draft savant?  

All of this because I posted that Bell averages more catches per game than C Carter and M Irvin?  Let's argue that then, that was were you jumped in with the. And calling.  Go for that or su. 

Cant stop, keep coming after someone who has never broken your balls for being so full of yourself over your picks?  

And yes, I've seen tons of football.  Want to pointlessly debate that too?  You sound like an insecure child, move on.  I'm sick of people like you, posting to me out of leftfield over nothing, calling me names and then cyprying.  F' off, not worth it, go chase someone else, someone who care. 

Lol call you names? A faux messiah - my goodness. You must have been appalled. So cherry picking would be Paxton monsieur messiah. My many fails? Right. 

You’ve given me a hard time for as long as I can remember, but I’m presenting as insecure. Got it. 

I agree with OP and I question your commitment to sparkle motion  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Lol call you names? A faux messiah - my goodness. You must have been appalled. So cherry picking would be Paxton monsieur messiah. My many fails? Right. 

You’ve given me a hard time for as long as I can remember

Own up to it instead of spinning:

I down voted this down because it was a sh*t post that's become all to familliar with your recent string of mindless conjecture,

FU, I dont bother talking to you, youre that annoying poster who thinks he can actually draft for a NFL team.   In other words delusional and over selling himself.  The kind who post exactly what you posted to me in response to my post that Bell is another receiver who averages more catches per game that C Carter and M Irvin.  When you come up with one single way that post was wrong get back to me.  

Until then, go away and bother someone else.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Own up to it instead of spinning:

FU, I dont bother talking to you, youre that annoying poster who thinks he can actually draft for a NFL team.   In other words delusional and over selling himself.  The kind who post exactly what you posted to me in response to my post that Bell is another receiver who averages more catches per game that C Carter and M Irvin.  When you come up with one single way that post was wrong get back to me.  

Until then, go away and bother someone else.  

That’s a lot of “you” statements 

5 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I am worried we're going to get too short-pass, or dump-off happy with Crowder and Q ans Bell out of the backfield... Teams can plan for that. But if Sam can land a few deep passes, or at least get close, to keep the defense honest, it will open up the rest of the field for those guys.

That's why its critical Robby Anderson stays healthy.  No one else can take the top off the defense.  

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

If you're one of the "In JD we trust" guys, or a member of the Gase fan club, you have to stop blaming Macc for a receiving corps you aren't happy with.

Douglas and Gase have been here long enough to address the WR and CB situation if they felt they needed to be upgraded. They could have traded players from areas of strength such as DL, or given up pick(s) for better players. They've chosen to do nothing but churn the bottom of the roster, so they can't be too concerned.

After the free agency period and the draft, there is nothing to do beyond churning the bottom of the roster.  

18 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

I like our wr’s too. I think they will be real good but with 5 wr why can’t we sign a big tall one and drop Sheppard from dL. If we get one from another team practice squad we have to put on 53 but who cares we can only suit up so many on game days. he can learn while sitting out. Go get someone to learn like doss or westley or someone with promises not a small one we have those.

Montgomery is our 6th WR 

I just don't see the "times and ways" too add players that make a difference. All of the WR that hit FA and waivers were nothing more than a 4 or 5 WR's at best. Who were these hypothetical players that he could have added since he had enough time?
He tried for the CB position and that included multiple waiver claims and even traded for a couple that are now on the roster. It was tough sledding once he took the job and I'm failing too see all of these easy upgrades he could have made at that stage of the game.

Sure but that could have been said for the OL over the same time period. We coaxed Kalil out of retirement and traded for Alex Lewis. Who could argue that it’s an improved unit?

I don’t disagree that there are slim pickins this time of year but the point is more about the effort to change it over the real potential. JD has been very bullish on DB’s and OL since arriving and he’s improved those departments. With WR its actually the opposite (other than inviting two guys in for a brief workout)with cutting guys most of us thought were locks. We cut 5 WRs and brought in 1. That shows that they are willing to fly with the group they have.

It would have been tough but the point that they are comfy with this group is supported by the lack of attention and effort that went into improving it.

And again, we may see someone get called up after week one to avoid the guaranteed salary. As much as you and I agree that the value is low, it very well could happen but other than that they made the conscious choice to ride with the small group we have right now.

4 rb’s, three TE’s and 5 WR’s. Kinda scary ain’t it?

That’s confidence in their choices

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, DMan77 said:

If you go by analytics, which has it flaws, Darnold excels in the short to intermediate game. This was the case in college and apparently in his first year. It also matches up with where we have talent and Gase’s offense.

I’m expecting the Jets to frustrate teams in the short to medium space with a couple of bombs thrown to Robby per game. Something like NE is what I’m expecting except with roll outs and stuff like that. 

On 9/3/2019 at 2:23 PM, johnnysd said:

I have to admit that I am surprised and a little confused over the wide receiver group as it stands now.

To be honest, it seems a little confusing.

First of all, there are only 5 WRs. I understand that Montgomery and Bell will both be used extensively in a wide receiving role, both running routes out of the backfield and sometimes lined up outside but its not the same as depth at WR.

We have a single "outside" receiver in Anderson.

We have a single flanker (with injury history) in Q. I LOVE Q, but he is not durable, and is really not effective as an X receiver.

We have 2 slot receivers, one a very solid veteran (also with some injury history) and a completely unproven 2nd year player coming off a complete season injury and cut by NE.

We have a flexible receiver in Bellamy as #5, but he is mostly a special teams guy.

We have no size on the outside.

We have a single guy with disruptive speed.

We have no depth at all -not keeping Burnett is sort of bewildering but its clear the coaching staff didnt love him and viewed him almost entirely as a slot guy.

I am concerned about depth, and concerned we will be unable to stretch the field leading to a lot of 3rd down "failed completions" and a compressed box limiting Bell.

I actually expected them to keep 7 WRs, if only for subbing due to the up-tempo offense they keep saying they are going to run.

It frankly confuses me.

Guess we figured it out. They don't plan to throw to receivers besides Crowder.

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

missed robby ~ 5 times yesterday...   the one i guess robby coulda tried to come back for it... but make 2 of those and add 2 completions and maybe 100 yds and 2 tds

Right.  We actually did a good job of taking what the defense gave us.  It was a quick passing game which would open up long chunk plays. It worked. The only problem was the passes themselves.  Everyone needs to get off of condescension ledge.