Goff signs a ridiculous contract

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The Achilles heel of football is that the QB position is so difficult that only 15 people on the planet can do it well. One position has basically become the key success factor of a “team sport.”

The issue isn’t those 15 players.  It’s other ten that are mediocre but get paid too much. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

The issue isn’t those 15 players.  It’s other ten that are mediocre but get paid too much. 

Still top 32 in the world at anything profitable should get paid. Problem is RBs 16-32 are paid like backup QBs. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

This league prints money. It's nice to see the players start to get some of it. Hopefully these QB deals become the tide that lifts all boats, and the owners have to raise the salary cap high enough to pay everyone. If ever there was a sport that needed an economic upheaval it's this one. I can't believe it's the only sport with non guaranteed contracts.

That's actually the exact opposite of what actually happens with these QB deals. If QBs like Goff are getting these kinds of FQB deals after just two seasons of productive play, and as the average rate of QBs being drafted in the first two rounds goes up while the average age for starting QBs goes down, we're looking at tremendous upward pressure for bloated QB contracts across the league; all while the salary cap remains relatively proportioned.

Put another way, if at any given time a majority of teams across the league are allowing average to above average QBs to eat 3-4 slices of an 8 slice pizza while the elite QBs eat 5-6 slices, the rest of the league goes hungry.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

@SAR I will absorb the increased costs for the rest of us.

In the end, it costs $150 to go to a football game and that's not a lot of money.

With only 16 games and each being so critically important, every NFL game is the equivalent value of 10 baseball games which would set you back $1,500.

And each game being different and the outcome unknown, it's 3 hours of high drama and a lot more entertaining than seeing Billy Joel for 90 minutes and for the 3rd time and listening to the same setlist you've already heard, forking over $300 for the privilege.

The NFL is an entertainment bargain comparatively speaking.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Achilles heel of football is that the QB position ha gotten so complex and is so difficult that only 15 people on the planet can do it well. One position has basically become the key success factor of a “team sport.”

Pretty sure QB has been the most important position in all of sports for about the last 50 years. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Or the Johnsons need to get their heads out of their asses and do the same thing. NY and LA are the biggest financial market so there’s plenty of ways to get extra money to players. 

All the Jets have to do is buy a sports drink.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

There are 100 possible paths to a SB title. 95 of them start with an elite QB. 

The only way to fix it is to remove salary caps completely. Otherwise, elite QBs will forever cannibalize most of it. 

They'd be better off cracking down on cheating since that is obviously what has won the bulk of the SB's the last 15 years.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

4 for $134m.. I mean the guy needs mcvay hold his hand the whole game. Sam is gonna command $40m a year a couple years from now

Dammmnnnn...I know man, you’re right.

Once Darnold really gets it in gear many will see him as at least twice as good as Goff.

impossible but I would love to see Darnold play in the exact same stacked unit as Goff did.

As much as people use Jeff Fisher as an excuse for Goff’s horrible rookie season.  Fisher is Vince Lombardi compared to Bowles.  At the very least he wouldn’t put his most valuable player in harms way by playing a Center 9 consecutive weeks who is 50-50 on getting off a clean snap.  On that note, how long would a guy like Spencer Long last on a team coached by Lombardi haha....but Bowles stubbornly played him because he was a “built in excuse” Vet.

Darnold is going to deserve a huge contract just for surviving his 1st season with Bowles.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Dammmnnnn...I know man, you’re right.

Once Darnold really gets it in gear many will see him as at least twice as good as Goff.

impossible but I would love to see Darnold play in the exact same stacked unit as Goff did.

As much as people use Jeff Fisher as an excuse for Goff’s horrible rookie season.  Fisher is Vince Lombardi compared to Bowles.  At the very least he wouldn’t put his most valuable player in harms way by playing a Center 9 consecutive weeks who is 50-50 on getting off a clean snap.  On that note, how long would a guy like Spencer Long last on a team coached by Lombardi haha....but Bowles stubbornly played him because he was a “built in excuse” Vet.

Darnold is going to deserve a huge contract just for surviving his 1st season with Bowles.

Bowles was putrid.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

Bowles was putrid.

The best thing is knowing that he’s still employed in the NFL (only because of Arians), if you need money and the situation is right go down to AC and just go against Tampa.  Doesn’t have 9 All Pros on his unit like in AZ, guy can’t coach for sh*t, as Mike Westhoff said in his 1st year...”he doesn’t even know how to make adjustments...he is going to be a Disaster” (then the Media buried that quote for 4 years until he was finally let go)....should be a cash register.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The best thing is knowing that he’s still employed in the NFL (only because of Arians), if you need money and the situation is right go down to AC and just go against Tampa.  Doesn’t have 9 All Pros on his unit like in AZ, guy can’t coach for sh*t, as Mike Westhoff said in his 1st year...”he doesn’t even know how to make adjustments...he is going to be a Disaster” (then the Media buried that quote for 4 years until he was finally let go)....should be a cash register.

Bowles was bad but Macc worse. Al least Bowles was good at his prior job. Example of Peter principle.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

Bowles was bad but Macc worse. Al least Bowles was good at his prior job. Example of Peter principle.

True, but only somewhat...although like I said a ton of All Pros helped Bowles prior job in AZ.

When you see Jet dbacks totally unprepared, not knowing how to communicate half the time and this in Bowles 4th year and the secondary was supposedly his strong suit you really have to wonder about the guy’s competence across the board.

Maccagnan you knew was going to be a disaster the second you saw him.

Uncommon opinion... 

I think that Brady takes what he needs. Enough to live the way he wants, and leaves money on the table...  Not everyone is super greedy and has to take top dollar all the time... I think Brady understands if he share more of the pie with the rest of the team then he gets potentially better players around him. Maybe, that's just the whole story... 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Skeptable said:

Uncommon opinion... 

I think that Brady takes what he needs. Enough to live the way he wants, and leaves money on the table...  Not everyone is super greedy and has to take top dollar all the time... I think Brady understands if he share more of the pie with the rest of the team then he gets potentially better players around him. Maybe, that's just the whole story... 

He is and will get paid what he deserves, all around the salary cap

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Those fools overpaid Gurley as well.  A guy with an arthritic knee.  You'd think they would learn.  Goff shouldn't have gotten more than $30M per year TOPS in my opinion. 

Yeah where was he  after Hurley and cupp got hurt? Over paid for sure but all else being equal. Dude was going to get paid and just finding a guy that can be the "guy", it's worth paying . Or younger stuck with what we have had before Darnold. Over paid sure but probably good idea to do it

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Uncommon opinion... 

6add8a88b688b4cce9618631fedc4cf5.jpg

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

Goff is good, but he faltered in the Super Bowl.  For that money he should’ve scored against NE.

They wouldnt even be in the superbowl if not for him. A he was a QB still under a rookie deal who didnt get it done against arguably the greatest head coach ever. 

Jimmy Garapolo got a ridiculous contract for starting 2 games in NE. 

These contracts are being done now before the new CBA. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

4 for $134m.. I mean the guy needs mcvay hold his hand the whole game. Sam is gonna command $40m a year a couple years from now

We signed gase because he was an offensive minded coach. If for some reason Darnold hand had to be held by Gase and because of that Darnold produced similar results Jets fans would be all in for locking Darnold up. 

Folks can call it holding his hand, the bottomline is that you're supposed to figure out what your QB responds well to, and McVay seems to have found what works for Goff. 

Coaches get checks too bro 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The league needs to exempt QB contracts from counting against the cap because it incapacitates teams forced to pay still-developing QBs top dollar. Or, they need to crack down on the Pats paying Brady under the table. One or the other.

Agreed. Doesn't the NBA work that way?

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s late, can’t sleep. Wondered what the hell a season of golf has to do with Sam’s progression. Better now thanks. 

If it makes you feel any better, it's almost 11am my time and im tired. lol. 

I have no idea what a season of golf has to do with Sam's progression, but if Sam knows then I suggest he get himself a caddie and go hit the links. 

6 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Goff is not that good. 

Crazy. 

3800 yards 28 TDs 7 picks one year..

4688 yards 32 TDs 12 picks the next...

yup hes pretty bad. Oh it must of been the 5 TDs and 7 picks his rookie year with fisher that makes him not that good. 

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

How dare a young QB rely on his coach to help him succeed and grow. 

• Upvote 1

It’s a contract extension which turns his current contract into a 6 years 161 million deal. That comes out to 26.33 mill per year. The way NFL contracts are going up for qb’s, it looks like the rams sucked it up and paid the kid early so that they wouldn’t have to pay him 35-40 mill a year in 2 years. Numbers may look ridiculous but what the rams did was pretty smart as long as Goff is a productive qb.