Goff signs a ridiculous contract

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Y'all are seriously underrating Jared Goff here.

Like, I really hope Sam is as good as Goff is one day and you guys are sh*tting all over that.

100% guarantee if the Jets paid their QB with the same production level the narrative would be euphoria. Jets fans gonna jet fan.

• Upvote 3

That’s the price for doing business in the NFL.  The alternative is cutting Goff and starting over by drafting a rookie QB, which based on where the Rams will be drafting will be extremely costly.  Besides, given the way the salary cap has increased from year to year, and given how much the revenue pie has grown, in 3 seasons the cap will probably be about $34 million more than it is now.  People get way too caught up in these numbers, still plenty of money to go around and pay the rest of your roster.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s the price for doing business in the NFL.  The alternative is cutting Goff and starting over by drafting a rookie QB, which based on where the Rams will be drafting will be extremely costly.  Besides, given the way the salary cap has increased from year to year, and given how much the revenue pie has grown, in 3 seasons the cap will probably be about $34 million more than it is now.  People get way too caught up in these numbers, still plenty of money to go around and pay the rest of your roster.  

Name a recent team that has a history of sustained success that had that success shortened because of salary cap limitations.

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Name a recent team that has a history of sustained success that had that success shortened because of salary cap limitations.

The way contracts are structured now, teams rarely get into “salary cap hell “ anymore.  Draft well, be smart how you structure contracts and sign smart mid-level free agents and you can remain competitive with a QB making big money.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If it makes you feel any better, it's almost 11am my time and im tired. lol. 

I have no idea what a season of golf has to do with Sam's progression, but if Sam knows then I suggest he get himself a caddie and go hit the links. 

Wear reading glasses and had them half on half off so Goff read as Golf. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The league needs to exempt QB contracts from counting against the cap because it incapacitates teams forced to pay still-developing QBs top dollar. Or, they need to crack down on the Pats paying Brady under the table. One or the other.

In what world do you believe this will happen?

The owners are only going to give players a certain percentage of revenues. Today that figure is around 48% (and you can be sure the league fudges true numbers).

If you believe that owners (as a group, and they have to do everything as a group) are going to have some type of number on top of that, that is not capped for QBs alone, you are delusional.

I am sure during the new CBA talks the players are going to fight for a bigger piece of that pie. Maybe, if they are not stupid like the last negotiations, they "earn" a fractional piece of extra revenue. It will probably come from things like merchandising and using players likeness in video games, or something fungible like that. Things that are nefarious in quantifying.

I would think in a league with 53 players on the roster and another 10 on the Practice Squad, and a true team sport that requires 11 players to play together on offense and defense, it is not healthy to pay a QB that big of a portion of the available compensation.   I would argue that the percentage allocated to a QB should be capped.

Particularly given all of the injuries, the NFL needs to encourage players to want to play football.  I think a $20mm/year job playing QB should be good enough to encourage a young prospect to practice throwing a football.  The pie should be spread around more.

The Rams are an interesting story-how many teams have a big QB AND a big RB contract?  Not many.

The Jets with their big RB, ILB and soon to be SS contracts are another story.  

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Seattle Seahawks.  Baltimore Ravens.

Part of that was Wilson being overrated and Flacco being dogsh*t.  But Goff is likely in the Wilson category.  

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

In what world do you believe this will happen?

The owners are only going to give players a certain percentage of revenues. Today that figure is around 48% (and you can be sure the league fudges true numbers).

If you believe that owners (as a group, and they have to do everything as a group) are going to have some type of number on top of that, that is not capped for QBs alone, you are delusional.

I am sure during the new CBA talks the players are going to fight for a bigger piece of that pie. Maybe, if they are not stupid like the last negotiations, they "earn" a fractional piece of extra revenue. It will probably come from things like merchandising and using players likeness in video games, or something fungible like that. Things that are nefarious in quantifying.

I don’t think any owner wants to be put in the position of paying his QB $100 million dollars and having to then protect that investment with minimum wage offensive linemen. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Part of that was Wilson being overrated and Flacco being dogsh*t.  But Goff is likely in the Wilson category.  

Seattle?  They signed him in the 16 off season, won 10, 9 & 10 games after that.  Dont you think they would have won less without him? Its not his fault that another 3 or so players wanted to be the highest paid at their positions.  Theyve restocked that team and the 2nd favorite to win their division behind the chargers.  Havent really missed a beat.

This is the going rate for QBs.  Not sure why its so surprising when one get his extension.  Prescott is next, he'll get similar money.  Mahomes will raise the bar.  Soon enough Baker and Sam will get monster deals.  Thats the league, the QB is that important

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think any owner wants to be put in the position of paying his QB $100 million dollars and having to then protect that investment with minimum wage offensive linemen. 

All the rhetoric coming from owners is that they don't want to increase percentages presented to the players, that new revenue streams will drive new salary increases to the players and that will take care of itself.

Like any other owner, in any business, they don't want to increase the largest cost center, and that is salaries.

The need to balance the salaries is the job of the GM. The players are merely puppets on a string to the majority of owners.

This is not my perspective I am giving you, just the owners

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Goff's not in the Wilson category; Wilson upped his game when his running game went AWOL...Goff without Gurley OTOH...not so much. Wilson has been the Seahawks' offense... running and passing... the last 2 years. If anything, he was vastly underrated coming out of college...

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Goff's not in the Wilson category; Wilson upped his game when his running game went AWOL...Goff without Gurley OTOH...not so much. Wilson has been the Seahawks' offense... running and passing... the last 2 years. If anything, he was vastly underrated coming out of college...

Wilson > Goff > Flacco was really the better way of making my point.  The Rams can't afford to spend this high a % of the cap on Goff and expect to succeed in the long-term.  

We should pay sam next year for 8 years in order to save money

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We wouldn’t save money in the long run. We’d just be handing him a massive contract 2-3 years early. Sam’s agent knows what he’s worth to the franchise, even if he struggled a good bit of his rookie year.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Let's just sign him to a new 10 year contract RIGHT NOW. LOCK HIM UP FOR 14 total. 

Just give him the "Jerry Buss" lifetime contract deal that Magic got after the first NBA title.  Huge amount of money but draw it out forever.

Just kidding.  But it would be great if there was no hard cap.

12 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The way contracts are structured now, teams rarely get into “salary cap hell “ anymore.  Draft well, be smart how you structure contracts and sign smart mid-level free agents and you can remain competitive with a QB making big money.  

Dallas literally just paid a RB the biggest contract in history, the biggest RT contract in history, their OLB and still have a QB and WR to pay - while also paying an elite LT and pass rusher.

Not only has the cap increased substantially, but it happened in conjunction with the rookie scale, which has freed up exponentially more money and yet the amount of talented veterans has stayed the same.  

Plus we will have Leveon come off the books at the same time we need to extend Sam.  These are good problems to have.

Even if we wanted to extend Darnold now the CBA doesn't allow it. We can't even extend Jamal Adams if we wanted to.....have to wait until he accrues another season. The earliest we can extend Darnold would be after he plays two more seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2