Chris Ryan Joins Jets' Negative Beat Writer Brigade With Awful Slant on Bill Parcells Compliment

joewilly12

Bill Parcells pumps the brakes on Jets’ Sam Darnold: ‘He’s not ready to be a star’

Updated 9:13 AM; Today 8:56 AM
Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells doesn't believe Jets quarterback Sam Darold is ready to make the jump into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

William Perlman | The Star-Ledger

Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells doesn't believe Jets quarterback Sam Darold is ready to make the jump into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

Comment

By Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Entering his second season in the NFL, Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldcould make the next step toward becoming one of the league’s top passers.

However, Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells isn’t sold that leap into stardom is coming just yet.

According to a story from the New York Post, Parcells tampered expectations for the third overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said, according to the New York Post. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Despite the fact Parcells said Darnold isn’t ready to be a true star in the league at this point, the former Jets and Giants coach made it clear he’s still a fan of the player. He added Darnold has the mindset needed to successfully play the position in the league.

“That’s very important,” Parcells said. “Half of them come into the league and they’re ready to be a star but they’re not ready to pay the price to be a quarterback.”

Darnold started 13 games during his rookie season, throwing for 2,865 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The Jets went 4-9 in the games he started.

In his second season, Darnold should have some more weapons around him to progress. The Jets added running backs Le’Veon Bell and Ty Montgomery in free agency, along with wide receiver Jamison Crowder

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I was all ready to come in here and flame away but then I read it was was like whaaaaaaaa????? this isn’t an outrage at all.

Same. I am outraged that there is nothing outrageous. Good job by the editor with the headline. Totally got me.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Bill Parcells definitely knows New York and obviously knows football. I'm glad he had a positive opinion on Sam. However this does not excuse Tom Tupa or Rick Mirer. I was always pissed that nobody ever called him out on how ill-prepared we were as a team when Vinny went down. He "retired" at the end of that season and I think that covered it up a little bit. Just sayin'...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

The headline writer should be fired.  Most misleading headline ever.  It is clear that he meant that he doesn't care about being a star.  Pretty much the opposite of what the headline says.

the writer also had a negative take on the comment as well though.

"However, Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells isn’t sold that leap into stardom is coming just yet."

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Crap headline... Terrible slant... What Parcells said was actually very complimentary of Darnold saying that he wants to play football and not be Hollywood. And he is also saying that he really likes that about him and is kinda giving shade to another star QB that came out of the draft last year.

Came in to say the same thing. Nowhere in there does Parcells say that Darnold isn't ready to be in the top tier of QBs, which is the article's opening line. Pure rubbish. 

Edit: edited title

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Bill Parcells definitely knows New York and obviously knows football. I'm glad he had a positive opinion on Sam. However this does not excuse Tom Tupa or Rick Mirer. I was always pissed that nobody ever called him out on how ill-prepared we were as a team when Vinny went down. He "retired" at the end of that season and I think that covered it up a little bit. Just sayin'...

Fair points. Mirer may be one of the 5 worst QB's to ever play in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

Same quote, completely different angle on the notoriously negative PFT: 

Bill Parcells likes that Sam Darnold “just wants to play”

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 4, 2019, 7:42 AM EDT

gettyimages-1164741463-e1567597326374.jp

Getty Images

Jets quarterback Sam Darnold has one of the highest-profile jobs in the NFL.

And yet, he’s been able to stay low-key, which earned the approval of a guy who is historically hard to impress.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells told Brian Costello of the New York Post that Darnold had the right personality to lead a team.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Parcells got to know Darnold and Bills quarterback Josh Allen prior to the 2018 NFL Draft, meeting with them in Florida. Parcells came away with Darnold’s maturity.

“That’s very important,” Parcells said. “Half of them come into the league and they’re ready to be a star but they’re not ready to pay the price to be a quarterback.”

He clearly thinks Darnold is ready, and now that the second-year quarterback has a better cast of help around him, things could improve quickly there.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Crap headline... Terrible slant... What Parcells said was actually very complimentary of Darnold saying that he wants to play football and not be Hollywood. And he is also saying that he really likes that about him and is kinda giving shade to another star QB that came out of the draft last year.

EXACTLY  ! Parcells was indicating that Sam has the right attitude, just wants to play. Sam't NOT thinking of becoming a star but just focused on playing and getting better each week. TOTALLY crap headline. The hack should be fined.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Reading comprehension is not popular in this century 

• Upvote 4