Chris Ryan Joins Jets' Negative Beat Writer Brigade With Awful Slant on Bill Parcells Compliment

joewilly12

Hmm. Parcell’s comment seem reasonable. Darnold not wanting to be a famous QB and wanting to be a good QB seems right. How is that a bad thing or a pump the brakes comment? I want a guy who wants to be good and who wants to win.

Jets reporters. It’s why I get my news on JN as well as a couple of blog and podcast. I also watch press conferences myself because apparently there’s a ton of room for interpretation.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Crap headline... Terrible slant... What Parcells said was actually very complimentary of Darnold saying that he wants to play football and not be Hollywood. And he is also saying that he really likes that about him and is kinda giving shade to another star QB that came out of the draft last year.

I guess we found out who Chris Ryan is... @themeangreenkillingmachine ... Why else would you Butt Fumble this reaction... Do you think it says something different or are you Chris Ryan

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bill Parcells pumps the brakes on Jets’ Sam Darnold: ‘He’s not ready to be a star’

Updated 9:13 AM; Today 8:56 AM
Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells doesn't believe Jets quarterback Sam Darold is ready to make the jump into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

William Perlman | The Star-Ledger

Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells doesn't believe Jets quarterback Sam Darold is ready to make the jump into the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.

Comment

By Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Entering his second season in the NFL, Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldcould make the next step toward becoming one of the league’s top passers.

However, Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells isn’t sold that leap into stardom is coming just yet.

According to a story from the New York Post, Parcells tampered expectations for the third overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said, according to the New York Post. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Despite the fact Parcells said Darnold isn’t ready to be a true star in the league at this point, the former Jets and Giants coach made it clear he’s still a fan of the player. He added Darnold has the mindset needed to successfully play the position in the league.

“That’s very important,” Parcells said. “Half of them come into the league and they’re ready to be a star but they’re not ready to pay the price to be a quarterback.”

Darnold started 13 games during his rookie season, throwing for 2,865 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The Jets went 4-9 in the games he started.

In his second season, Darnold should have some more weapons around him to progress. The Jets added running backs Le’Veon Bell and Ty Montgomery in free agency, along with wide receiver Jamison Crowder

LOL, beat writer has comprehension deficiencies.  Wow, holy missing the point, Batman!!

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess we found out who Chris Ryan is... @themeangreenkillingmachine ... Why else would you Butt Fumble this reaction... Do you think it says something different or are you Chris Ryan

Funny, I thought you were Chris Ryan for buttfumbling my first post.

You do know its supposed to be TEMPERING right?

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The story has been completely changed. I guess the reporter sobered up since this morning ...

Why Bill Parcells is sold on Jets’ Sam Darnold: ‘He’s not trying to be a star’

Updated 3:52 PM; Today 8:56 AM

William Perlman | The Star-Ledger

0 shares

By Chris Ryan | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Entering his second season in the NFL, Jets quarterback Sam Darnold could make the next step toward becoming one of the league’s top passers.

Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells could see that happening, but for a different reason.

According to a story from the New York Post, Parcells set his own expectations for the third overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft, and he likes that Darnold isn’t trying to play just for the fame.

“I know Sam a little bit,” Parcells said, according to the New York Post. “I like him. I think he’s a tough guy. You know what I like about him? He’s not ready to be a star. He just wants to play.”

Parcells’ stance that said Darnold isn’t ready to be a star doesn’t mean the quarterback isn’t ready to perform at a high level. The former Jets and Giants coach made it clear he’s still a fan of the player. He added Darnold has the mindset needed to successfully play the position in the league.

“That’s very important,” Parcells said. “Half of them come into the league and they’re ready to be a star but they’re not ready to pay the price to be a quarterback.”

Buy Jets-Bills Week 1 tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek

Darnold started 13 games during his rookie season, throwing for 2,865 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The Jets went 4-9 in the games he started.

In his second season, Darnold should have some more weapons around him to progress. The Jets added running backs Le’Veon Bell and Ty Montgomery in free agency, along with wide receiver Jamison Crowder.

Chris Ryan may be reached at cryan@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @ChrisRyan_NJ. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

View Comments (9)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The story has been completely changed. I guess the reporter sobered up since this morning ...

I imagine he was inundated with negative comments, much like here. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Crap headline... Terrible slant... What Parcells said was actually very complimentary of Darnold saying that he wants to play football and not be Hollywood. And he is also saying that he really likes that about him and is kinda giving shade to another star QB that came out of the draft last year.

right.  parcells was one of those show me guys.  what did he call curtis martin?  mr wonderful? or he needs a few more skins in his belt before he can go to canton?  and this is the point.  many of these qb's come in after being coddled by their coaches for many years and can't handle the pressure and responsibility.

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Hmm. Parcell’s comment seem reasonable. Darnold not wanting to be a famous QB and wanting to be a good QB seems right. How is that a bad thing or a pump the brakes comment? I want a guy who wants to be good and who wants to win.

Jets reporters. It’s why I get my news on JN as well as a couple of blog and podcast. I also watch press conferences myself because apparently there’s a ton of room for interpretation.

I want my qb focused on learning and mastering the playbook and not going out and partying and trying to be a social media influencer and being worried about how many retweets he’s getting on twitter

I’ll take “good and hard working” over a “star”

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We should all contact Chris Ryan 

Chris RyanVerified account 

@ChrisRyan_NJ

New Jersey Devils reporter for NJ Advance Media (@njdotcom/@starledger). @ThePHWA

Twitter ChrisRyan_NJ 

If you want to make him real happy, and feel he's done a great thing, go ahead.

To a click reporter it doesn't matter if the response is positive, or negative.  If your talking about him, he's relevant.

If you want to show disapproval, don't write him and tell him your not going to read him.  Just don't read him.  

Joe could say that he's glad that Sam doesn't get involved in the nightlife and chasing the skirts.  The press would interpret this that Sam "lacks personality." 

I have an Athletic subscription for 9 bucks a month and the top article was a Premier League owner complaining about how his players like to knock up their teammates girlfriends and are pissing all their money away.  Can't we just go back to the Sporting News once a week?

9 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

The headline writer should be fired.  Most misleading headline ever.  It is clear that he meant that he doesn't care about being a star.  Pretty much the opposite of what the headline says.

Actually the headline writer did his job.  He got people to read the article.  Jet's fans read it ready to be enraged.  Non-Jet fan's read the article because they think the article is a dig at the Jet's.  A newspaper editor told me years ago that the purpose of a headline is to attract people to the story,  TV news does the same thing.  They throw a tidbit out there before a break.  Then you hang around to see the story and realize the tidbit was misleading.

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If you want to make him real happy, and feel he's done a great thing, go ahead.

To a click reporter it doesn't matter if the response is positive, or negative.  If your talking about him, he's relevant.

If you want to show disapproval, don't write him and tell him your not going to read him.  Just don't read him.  

And the person that wrote the story doesn't write the headline.

39 minutes ago, devland said:

And the person that wrote the story doesn't write the headline.

No, he didn't write the banner.  But he did write this

"Entering his second season in the NFL, Jets quarterback Sam Darnoldcould make the next step toward becoming one of the league’s top passers.

However, Hall-of-Fame coach Bill Parcells isn’t sold that leap into stardom is coming just yet.'

That isn't what Parcells intended with his statement.  The guy willfully put a negative spin on a positive story

11 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

OMG Parcells doesn’t think Darnold will be in the running for league MVP???? What a troll!!!! ?

That's not even what Parcells meant.  He said guys walk into the league ready to be a star but not willing to put in the work to get there.  Darnold isn't ready to be a star, he's ready to come in and work his ass off.  Add to that the stupid sentence, "Parcells tampered expectations...".  How do you "tamper" expectations?  You can temper expectations, but again, that's not even what Parcells what doing.  This article is written by someone who should have chosen a different line of work.