Gase and the Defense

msena88

Not sure if this has bothered anyone else but I've listened to pretty much every Gase press conference/media interview since his hire and the way he talks so nonchalantly about the defense being Gregg's thing just irks me. I get every HC comes from one side of the ball or the other and will likely make either the defensive or offensive calls, but the way he speaks about the defense it really seems like he is not involved whatsoever. He will often refer to the offense as "we/us" and the defense as "they/them".

It brings me back to the Rex days when he was so wrapped up with the defense and completely ignored the offensive side of the ball. I get this might be very nit-picky but it really just rubs me the wrong way.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed, you have to give your DC total freedom to do what he wants but you also have to take ownership of the whole team and the worst thing is to have an us them thing like rex had.

Not a big deal yet but if that side of the ball under performs we will see him talk more about it.

(Be prepared to be slaughtered for your comments.)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, msena88 said:

Not sure if this has bothered anyone else but I've listened to pretty much every Gase press conference/media interview since his hire and the way he talks so nonchalantly about the defense being Gregg's thing just irks me. I get every HC comes from one side of the ball or the other and will likely make either the defensive or offensive calls, but the way he speaks about the defense it really seems like he is not involved whatsoever. He will often refer to the offense as "we/us" and the defense as "they/them".

It brings me back to the Rex days when he was so wrapped up with the defense and completely ignored the offensive side of the ball. I get this might be very nit-picky but it really just rubs me the wrong way.

I hear ya. Good or bad he has Buddy's boy on D. I have pipe dreams of Ditka and Ryan, different times, however, if we are patient maybe history will repeat.

This is very nit picky and completely different from Rex. Rex not only ignores the offense and didn’t develop Sanchez, but he wanted to play offense a certain way. Score a couple times run the ball to chew up clock and don’t screw it up for the defense. Gase don’t think cares as long as GW does his thing. We hired Gase for Darnold. He should be number 1 priority.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase did this in Miami.  Has no clue or no interest in whats going on w/ the defensive side of the ball.

This model works for the rams so.........

I know Wade certainly runs that unit but I haven't listened to McVay enough with the media to hear how disjointed he sounds from things.

Rams and Bears were the two examples I was going to point to but I've never heard Nagy or McVay speak much with the media so I personally can't really compare them.

I've got a ton of faith in Gregg but call me traditional, I think the HC should be involved in all aspects of the game. In today's press conference Gase said that Gregg will be 100% in charge of the defensive game plan for the bills and that the two of them "chat". Maybe he is just purposefully deceptive with the media but haven't loved what his message has been externally as far as his involvement goes.

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Like We'd feel better if Gase was telling Gregg what to do with the defense. Gimme a break. It's like wanting Bowles to get more involved with the offense. 

I think that's a quality of a bad HC, if the man running the show can't provide value to all aspects of the team that's an issue and indicative of a coach with a limited skill set. In my opinion, the great ones have their hands in all 3 phases of the game.

9 minutes ago, msena88 said:

I think that's a quality of a bad HC, if the man running the show can't provide value to all aspects of the team that's an issue and indicative of a coach with a limited skill set. In my opinion, the great ones have their hands in all 3 phases of the game.

That's it Gase suck. Jest are doomed. Cancel the season.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, msena88 said:

To a degree. I'm sure Adam does too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

That's it Gase suck. Jest are doomed. Cancel the season.

I actually was/am excited about the Gase hire because of what I think he can do for Sam, I just don't think its insane to expect the HC when speaking publicly to not make it seem like the defense is someone else's responsibility.

1 minute ago, msena88 said:

I actually was/am excited about the Gase hire because of what I think he can do for Sam, I just don't think its insane to expect the HC when speaking publicly to not make it seem like the defense is someone else's responsibility.

We have know since the hirings that Gase was concentrating on offense and that the defense is all Williams.

10 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

We have know since the hirings that Gase was concentrating on offense and that the defense is all Williams.

I don't disagree, I guess to distill down my point I'm just surprised at the level to which he admits this publicly. I certainly know this isnt the case with CJ, but if I was the owner I'd want my HC to present a more unified front externally.

32 minutes ago, msena88 said:

Thats your opinion. I'm trying to be positive about this season, because like it or not, we have a coaching staff light years better than what we've had since 2015.

21 minutes ago, msena88 said:

I have listened to every press conference... He speaks more about the defense and specials then you might realize. There are times he does say that's Gregg's thing... but that tends to be more about how he runs the practice switching players in and out and what personal he is running in situations. When needed to Gase speaks about defensive players and situations and how to play them... This is not a Rex situation where Rex just didn't understand offense.  Gase just lets Gregg run his side of the practice the way he wants and lets him call the game... as a good HC should.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, msena88 said:

I think you have to go back and remember how this CS evolved.

We don't know for sure, but the rumor was the Jets wanted Ruhle as HC, GW was going to be the DC if he wanted the job. One of Gase, Moncken or Kingsbury was going to be the OC.

When Ruhle balked (according to rumor) at the Jets not allowing him to choose his staff, Gase ended up with that job. GW was already here at that point, I believe, or was coming. So right from the start this staff seemed to be a two headed monster. Sure Gase got the HC title, but I think he was told/understood that the defense was going to be GWs baby.

I'm slightly surprised, but happy that the two of them seem to be getting along well, and I think this could work out ok. Stay tuned. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I have listened to every press conference... He speaks more about the defense and specials then you might realize. There are times he does say that's Gregg's thing... but that tends to be more about how he runs the practice switching players in and out and what personal he is running in situations. When needed to Gase speaks about defensive players and situations and how to play them... This is not a Rex situation where Rex just didn't understand offense.  Gas just lets Gregg run his side of the practice the way he wants and lets him call the game... as a good HC should.

This.

He's the guy who took responsibility for Williamson being out too long in the preseason game. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, msena88 said:

I know Wade certainly runs that unit but I haven't listened to McVay enough with the media to hear how disjointed he sounds from things.

Rams and Bears were the two examples I was going to point to but I've never heard Nagy or McVay speak much with the media so I personally can't really compare them.

I've got a ton of faith in Gregg but call me traditional, I think the HC should be involved in all aspects of the game. In today's press conference Gase said that Gregg will be 100% in charge of the defensive game plan for the bills and that the two of them "chat". Maybe he is just purposefully deceptive with the media but haven't loved what his message has been externally as far as his involvement goes.

Sean Payton has had a heck of a career doing this, and won his Super Bowl with G Williams as his DC with no input from Payton.

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I have listened to every press conference... He speaks more about the defense and specials then you might realize. There are times he does say that's Gregg's thing... but that tends to be more about how he runs the practice switching players in and out and what personal he is running in situations. When needed to Gase speaks about defensive players and situations and how to play them... This is not a Rex situation where Rex just didn't understand offense.  Gase just lets Gregg run his side of the practice the way he wants and lets him call the game... as a good HC should.

This is a fair point, I will say though the topics at his press conferences are driven by the questions being asked. I'm fully aware he speaks about all 3 phases but because he is asked about all of them.

I am very optimistic about this coaching staff and think it is light years ahead of what we have had the past few years, that doesn't mean they are above criticism.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Sean Payton has had a heck of a career doing this, and won his Super Bowl with G Williams as his DC with no input from Payton.

I'm genuinely asking, do you have examples of him speaking about the defense with the media? I'm curious how he references the different sides of the ball.

4 minutes ago, msena88 said:

I'm genuinely asking, do you have examples of him speaking about the defense with the media? I'm curious how he references the different sides of the ball.

Dude what a coach says to the media is the last thing you should be concerned about.  Coach speak is nothing, but meaningless BS.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

That’s why he hired Gregg Williams. You don’t hire Gregg Williams and get in his way. Best thing Gase can do is focus on Darnold and the offense. You give Gregg full autonomy of the defense and you let Boyer do his thing also.

It was an issue with Rex and Bowles because their conservative style spilled over to the offense. They also didn’t hire a top OC. The Jets have 3 coaches that are aggressive. It was also an issue with those two because they only wanted to spend resources on defense. We saw a balanced offseason this year with Macc and Gase. I don’t think that’ll change with JD and Gase.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, msena88 said:

This front office has manage information leaking out very well. I think by design, Gase is giving Williams a chance to put his stamp on the D. None of us know what happens behind close doors. Just because he’s not saying it publicly doesn’t mean it’s not happening. 

• Post of the Week 2