Josh Malone (WR) Signed To Practice Squad

KRL

Josh Malone

The NY Jets filled out their practice squad today with the addition of wide receiver Josh Malone.

Malone was originally drafted by the Bengals in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL Draft. In two seasons with Cincinnati, the Tennessee product totaled seven receptions for 75 yards and one touchdown in 20 games (seven starts). The 6’3”, 205-pounder registered 73 yards and a touchdown on seven catches this preseason before he was released on Sept. 1.

Ethan Greenberg provides the full list of practice squad players. The Jets have an exemption for Valentine Holmes because he is part of the International Player Pathway Program.

#Jets full practice squad:

QB – Luke Falk
RB – Josh Adams, Valentine Holmes
WR – Greg Dortch, Jeff Smith, Josh Malone
OL – Ben Braden, Calvin Anderson
TE – Ian Bunting
LB – Jamey Mosley
CB – Kyron Brown https://t.co/ZpEAZ6Uqv1

— Ethan B. Greenberg (@EGreenbergJets) September 4, 2019

The post Jets Add WR Josh Malone to Practice Squad appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
t3iIYfIzrNE

Click here to read the full story...

26 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Can we get a dam pass rusher!!!  I was reading earlier they released a guy from Miami who has 4 sacks and tons of pressures on preseason why aren’t we putting some claims in 

Well they tried to some degree by getting that Rams DE we picked up, but at 288 lbs that is not going to be what we would consider an Edge rusher. As you said the Miami Edge rusher would be good, but as Parcells used to say, Certain positions like LT, Edge Rusher, etc. just don't grow on trees where you can go pick them. Really good ones come along very rarely and we are having a drought in discovering one like the drought of finding a QB. Our main hope is that DC Williams can manufacture a pass rush between multiple player on the Dline and wherever possible at LB. I certainly don't have his great mindset, but if it were me I would go for broke and on almost every play send either Jenkins or Adams at the QB, and on some plays both of them. They seem to both have that reckless abandonment in getting to the QB and causing havoc. To compensate with coverage for Jenkins that would need to be the old zone blitz where one of the Dlineman has to drop into the LB zone for some level of coverage. Possible Leo or Anderson may have the athletic ability to do that. For Adams we may need nickel defenses and in some cases 3 safeties on the field for him to blitz often. I am probably going to crazy on how much I would do this, but especially on games in the 4th qtr when we have to stop drives that will beat us, not enough pass rush will cause us to lose and at least with the method I mentioned sometimes you will stop them and sometimes not. The way we did with Bowles was we never stopped them.

• Upvote 4

Can we get a dam pass rusher!!!  I was reading earlier they released a guy from Miami who has 4 sacks and tons of pressures on preseason why aren’t we putting some claims in 

The guy we picked up on waivers from LAR, Franklin-Myers may have some upside in the pass rush department from what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well they tried to some degree by getting that Rams DE we picked up, but at 288 lbs that is not going to be what we would consider an Edge rusher. As you said the Miami Edge rusher would be good, but as Parcells used to say, Certain positions like LT, Edge Rusher, etc. just don't grow on trees where you can go pick them. Really good ones come along very rarely and we are having a drought in discovering one like the drought of finding a QB. Our main hope is that DC Williams can manufacture a pass rush between multiple player on the Dline and wherever possible at LB. I certainly don't have his great mindset, but if it were me I would go for broke and on almost every play send either Jenkins or Adams at the QB, and on some plays both of them. They seem to both have that reckless abandonment in getting to the QB and causing havoc. To compensate with coverage for Jenkins that would need to be the old zone blitz where one of the Dlineman has to drop into the LB zone for some level of coverage. Possible Leo or Anderson may have the athletic ability to do that. For Adams we may need nickel defenses and in some cases 3 safeties on the field for him to blitz often. I am probably going to crazy on how much I would do this, but especially on games in the 4th qtr when we have to stop drives that will beat us, not enough pass rush will cause us to lose and at least with the method I mentioned sometimes you will stop them and sometimes not. The way we did with Bowles was we never stopped them.

The idea is to have guys D-linemen like QW, Leo, H.Anderson and LBs Jenkins, Copeland (when he comes back) and Luvu ALL used to put pressure on the QB. G.Williams will mix things up and I'm sure we will see quite a few exotic blitzes. Adams will def. be involved. But I don;t think you will see G.Williams sell out on the blitz as much as you think- or I guess YOU WOULD lol. I don't think we will see much of Leo out there in zone coverage. I think Williams trusts the D-line to put adequate pressure on the QB without blitzing help and I think he has faith in the secondary to maintain their assignments....until further notice at least.  

1 hour ago, KRL said:

They've been looking for a big WR:

MoreJets announce they have signed WR Josh Malone to the practice squad. 

Some info...Valid point for reason Bengals released Malone for P. Cooper...Similar to why Gase likely wanted Bellamy over Deontay Burnett i.e. familiarity and special teams..

This is the type of WR the Jets need (to at least try to develop). A big, outside guy that can run.  Jets have enough smaller, slot guys on their 53 & PS..

Cutting Malone for Cooper was a surprising move

Sep 1, 2019

The Bengals have announced two additions and two subtractions from their 53-man roster.

On Sunday, the team claimed wide receiver Pharoh Cooper off waivers from the Cardinals and running back Samaje Perine off waivers from Washington.

To make room for those two, the Bengals waived wide receiver Josh Malone and linebacker Hardy Nickerson.

Letting Nickerson go was an easy call, as he simply isn’t good enough to play linebacker in the NFL, even for a Bengals defense that now has just four linebackers on the 53-man roster.

While this was no real surprise, cutting Malone for Cooper was a surprising move. Cooper hasn’t done anything to suggest he’s a better player than Malone. However, Cooper is a solid returner on special teams, so the Bengals must have wanted another returner man on their 53-man roster.

Zac Taylor also spent two seasons with Cooper during their time with the Rams. If there’s anything that Taylor has taught us in Year 1, it’s that he greatly values familiarity.

As for the new guys, Cooper (5-11, 207), is a fourth-year player out of University of South Carolina who was originally was a fourth-round draft pick of the Rams in 2016. He spent the majority of his first three NFL seasons with the Rams before ending last season with the Cardinals. He has played in 33 career games (four starts), and has 25 catches for 190 yards. He was waived by the Cardinals yesterday.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/9/1/20843699/bengals-cuts-2019-josh-malone-hardy-nickerson-cardinals-news-samaje-perine

Malone’s Changes Paying Off In A Big Way

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019

The ingredients for a breakout season seem to be there for wide receiver Josh Malone.

With both A.J. Green and John Ross sidelined with injuries at the start of camp, Malone, a third-year receiver from Tennessee, has made the most of his opportunity. Malone is taking reps with the No. 1s and showcasing the playmaking ability that eluded him in his first two seasons with the Bengals.

He’s looked strong early on in training camp. The 6’3” 205 lb receiver has made plays in the middle of the field and on the outside. What has impressed many observers is Malone can beat the coverage with some speed and strength, yet have the ability to go up and pinpoint the ball. It makes Malone a worthy red zone target.

“The offense gives you a lot of options with your routes, gives you a lot of creativity with what you can do with those routes,” said Malone. “Personally, I felt like with my playing style this helps out and there is a better fit.”

Malone has always had the physical tools. He was selected in the fourth round of the 2017 draft with the 128th overall pick, a selection the Bengals obtained from the Vikings when they traded down in the second round. Yet, injuries and inconsistency has limited his production early on.

As a rookie in 2017, Malone saw his playing time increase as season progressed, and ended the year by starting seven of Cincinnati’s final eight games as a third wide receiver. He only played in nine games last year and missed a portion of the year with a hamstring injury.

With a new coaching staff in place, a new system and offseason adjustments, Malone is enjoying an eye-opening training camp.

“My workout routine this past offseason was more detailed and rigid to focus on my game and what I just needed to improve on,” Malone said. “I've taken everything that I have worked on and brought it to training camp and want to bring it into the season.”

“Josh has been more consistent (during training camp) than he was in the spring,” said head coach Zac Taylor. “We told those guys it’s still early in camp. You’re consistent now, you’re making good impressions, but we’re asking you to keep that up through these games. We can’t see a drop-off. There’s a lot of competition at those receiver spots and these guys all know it.”

For many receivers, making a significant jump from year two to year three is mostly about understanding the mental game. There are numerous receivers around the league who have made that leap like Davante Adams in Green Bay, Sterling Shepard with the New York Giants and the Bengals’ own Tyler Boyd.

Malone would agree that is the blueprint for success.

“It's just a different mindset in year three,” Malone said. “You should know everything that is going on, even though we have a new coaching staff. Just being more professional in my approach, taking care of my body and on the mental part of it, just handling things in a different aspect.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/malone-s-changes-paying-off-in-a-big-way

• Upvote 3

If  you guys don't know Nate Orchard's name, you probably shouldn't be ranting about waiver wire pickups.  He was one of the guys a bunch of us wanted instead of Devin Smith.  With five career sacks, I can't definitively say we were right.  Gregg Williams had him in Cleveland.  Williams cut him last fall.  If they don't want him, there is probably a pretty good reason.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Guy has 5 sacks in 4 years nothing too complain about at all .. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Jets announce they have signed WR Josh Malone to the practice squad. #nyj

The funny part is that a Bengals fan reacted to his draft selection saying that he was hoping they’d pick Chad Hansen instead!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

3 WRs on the practice squad right now - Jeff Smith, Greg Dortch, Josh Malone. The bottom 2-3 spots on the PS churn all year long so we can't get too upset about it or read too much into it

I saw alot of him when at Tennessee. He has it all physically...mentally I'm not sure lol. Made some big catches in some big games during the Butch Jones tenure.

31 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If Malone is any kind of a find the Jets had better bring him up to the 53 quickly before the Patsies steal him off our practice squad.

We’ve only got 5 wide receivers on the 53. We also now have 3 wide receivers on the practice squad. There is a clear path to move Malone to the active roster. Just have to decide which player, likely a defensive lineman, would get cut.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We’ve only got 5 wide receivers on the 53. We also now have 3 wide receivers on the practice squad. There is a clear path to move Malone to the active roster. Just have to decide which player, likely a defensive lineman, would get cut.

Agree with this scenario. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

@Paradis is our resident WR guy here.  What can he tell us about this dude?

I can tell you he couldn’t put a dent on the stat sheet despite Everyone ahead of him getting injured.  

My problem with this is - there’s no version of the future where Malone suddenly becomes a serviceable Z/X and starts in the NFL. That ship has sailed... why not give that chance to a guy like Doss. Or Anthony Johnson. Etc. At least an unknown commodity 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I can tell you he couldn’t put a dent on the stat sheet despite Everyone ahead of him getting injured.  

My problem with this is - there’s no version of the future where Malone suddenly becomes a serviceable Z/X and starts in the NFL. That ship has sailed... why not give that chance to a guy like Doss. Or Anthony Johnson. Etc. At least an unknown commodity 

I wonder what the nut thinks. He's watched lots of footballs....so much more than you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sooner or later 1 of these transactions is going to work out really well for us. 

I agree with that but I think it will come from someone we either draft or sign as an UDFA. It never seems to work out when we get someone elses scraps.

Think Chrebet, Brandon Moore, Devito, Robby. All guys that we initially signed.

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

I agree with that but I think it will come from someone we either draft or sign as an UDFA. It never seems to work out when we get someone elses scraps.

Think Chrebet, Brandon Moore, Devito, Robby. All guys that we initially signed.

Exactly. I’d love to see the stats on how many failed receivers who wound up on life support on someone else’s practice squad — suddenly put it all together. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Exactly. I’d love to see the stats on how many failed receivers who wound up on life support on someone else’s practice squad — suddenly put it all together. 

It's not just receivers it's every position. The one guy that jumps out at me for a guy that bounced around and then succeeded was James Harrison and that was a while ago. 

I can't think of one Jet that fits that mold, at least in the modern era.

I like the signing. And Jesus guys it's only the practice squad. I checked out his highlight-reel and he looks pretty good at least. Try to remember it was drafted by the Bengals. Their coaching staff and players have not exactly been turning out Super Bowls over the last few years right? Maybe Hines Ward can give this kid some pointers and tips LOL. If not give him a Popeye's chicken sandwich and say thanks for coming

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I like the signing. And Jesus guys it's only the practice squad. I checked out his highlight-reel and he looks pretty good at least. Try to remember it was drafted by the Bengals. T

They actually have one of the better hit rates, and score as one of the lowest teams that need to bring FAs. They're a bumbling franchise no doubt, but on the whole, they do 'aight in April.