Jump to content

Pre Week 1 Power Rankings


Recommended Posts

I know a lot of people will scoff at these pre-week 1 power rankings but the Jets did just pick 3rd overall, so they're going to be toward the back of the pack regardless of the off season. I think they're fun to watch over the course of the season even if they don't mean anything.

Bleacher Report

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Bills #21
  • Jets #25
  • Dolphins #31

CBS Sports

AFCE:

  • Patriots #2
  • Bills #20
  • Jets #22
  • Dolphins #32

ESPN

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Jets #24
  • Bills #25
  • Dolphins #32

Pro Football Focus

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Dolphins #24
  • Bills #29
  • Jets #31

NFL.com

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Jets #22
  • Bills #23
  • Dolphins #32
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know a lot of people will scoff at these pre-week 1 power rankings but the Jets did just pick 3rd overall, so they're going to be toward the back of the pack regardless of the off season. I think they're fun to watch over the course of the season even if they don't mean anything.

Bleacher Report

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Bills #21
  • Jets #25
  • Dolphins #31

CBS Sports

AFCE:

  • Patriots #2
  • Bills #20
  • Jets #22
  • Dolphins #32

ESPN

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Jets #24
  • Bills #25
  • Dolphins #32

Pro Football Focus

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Dolphins #24
  • Bills #29
  • Jets #31

NFL.com

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Jets #22
  • Bills #23
  • Dolphins #32

Pro football Focus must also share office space with High Times

Dolphins better than Jets and Bills?   Jets bottom of NFL?   

I wonder if the guy that wrote that wants to take a few wagers....

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did somebody who works for the Jets piss in Cris Collingsworth's cereal?  PFF always low rates the sh__ t out of us.  Even our player ratings are usually lower than I would expect.  I can understand Cimini's need to throw shade from time to time.  But PFF never seems to change their tune.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Did somebody who works for the Jets piss in Cris Collingsworth's cereal?  PFF always low rates the sh__ t out of us.  Even our player ratings are usually lower than I would expect.  I can understand Cimini's need to throw shade from time to time.  But PFF never seems to change their tune.

PFF uses they’re most recent ratings. Fitzpatrick is carrying over a really high rating from last year while Sam Darnold’s is actually really low. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know a lot of people will scoff at these pre-week 1 power rankings but the Jets did just pick 3rd overall, so they're going to be toward the back of the pack regardless of the off season. I think they're fun to watch over the course of the season even if they don't mean anything.

Bleacher Report

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Bills #21
  • Jets #25
  • Dolphins #31

CBS Sports

AFCE:

  • Patriots #2
  • Bills #20
  • Jets #22
  • Dolphins #32

ESPN

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Jets #24
  • Bills #25
  • Dolphins #32

Pro Football Focus

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Dolphins #24
  • Bills #29
  • Jets #31

NFL.com

AFCE:

  • Patriots #1
  • Jets #22
  • Bills #23
  • Dolphins #32

PFF is on drugs. The dolphins are tanking. Hard. How does an outfit supposedly covering Professional Football miss that? LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

PFF uses they’re most recent ratings. Fitzpatrick is carrying over a really high rating from last year while Sam Darnold’s is actually really low. 

But this just highlights the inherent inadequacy of the sabermetrics/analytics/PFF approach to assessing football teams. 

The chances that Fitzpatrick has a better season than Sam Darnold are extremely small. A little bit of context mixed with some football wisdom goes a long, long way. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 22-25 range seems right for now. Having the Jets at #31 like PFF does seems like crazy talk.  They are basically saying that with all the changes, additions of some Pro bowl talent (Osemele, Bell, C.J. Mosely), improvement of the offensive line, new coaching and the second year development of Sam Darnold, the Jets will be one spot worse than last year when they drafted number 3.

The 31st team in the NFL typically wins 2 or 3 games during the season. I cannot see that happening here with the Jets. Even as a fan, my brain tells me they find at least five wins at the worst. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pff has been hedging all their commentary about the Jets and Darnold. They have Darnold at the bottom of the QB rankings but then they’ll say, but if he plays the way he played at the end of last season. They have the Jets at the bottom of their ranking but then they said but...if Darnold. By putting us at the bottom they are saying he won’t be good. They should just say that as opposed to always hedging their opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

A lot depends on Darnold making a leap. If he doesnt, the Jets will be terrible. A lot of blind faith right now. We just dont know. He played well down the stretch last season (besides week 17), but there's generally no carryover guarantees. We'll see if Darnold's the guy by October considering the schedule.

I agree with you. I just think they’re playing both sides. Their analytics say that he is a bottom QB. It’s like they’re hedging what their analytics is suggesting with comments like but Darnold can make the leap which will cause us to be wrong. Almost as though they don’t trust it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The 22-25 range seems right for now. Having the Jets at #31 like PFF does seems like crazy talk.  They are basically saying that with all the changes, additions of some Pro bowl talent (Osemele, Bell, C.J. Mosely), improvement of the offensive line, new coaching and the second year development of Sam Darnold, the Jets will be one spot worse than last year when they drafted number 3.

The 31st team in the NFL typically wins 2 or 3 games during the season. I cannot see that happening here with the Jets. Even as a fan, my brain tells me they find at least five wins at the worst. 

No team with Lev Bell, maybe the best RB in football, and a soon to be Top 5 QB should be ranked at 31.

Very difficult schedule to start but this will be a very exciting season of Jet football.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...