Josh Allen explains how to beat Gregg Williams Defense

Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen explains how to beat Gregg Williams’ Jets defense

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills fans are familiar with New York Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

He was the head man for the Bills from 2001 to 2003. He didn’t have nearly the success as a head coach (22-34 record in three seasons) as he’s had as a coordinator. New Jets coach Adam Gase, an offensive-minded coach, hired Williams to run New York’s defense after getting hired in January. It’s Williams’ eighth different team since he was fired in Buffalo 16 years ago.

Why does Williams keep getting jobs? Because his pressure-style defense continues to have success. His units are known to employ a blitz-heavy attack and Bills second-year quarterback Josh Allen is facing the Jets’ version of that defense this Sunday in the season opener at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

There’s not a lot of tape to devour. Williams has new players with different skill sets. That means Allen has to be prepared to adjust to what he sees on Sunday.

“We gotta stick to our base rules,” Allen said Wednesday inside the ADPRO Sports Training Center after practice. “I gotta make sure that the protections are right and I have to know where my answers are. Odds are that they’re going to come out and show something that we haven’t seen from them. We’re going to have to make adjustments in the game.”

When the pressure was dialed up last season Allen usually tucked the ball and ran with it. Knowing how long to remain in the pocket is part of Allen’s game that’s expected to develop further into his second season. It’s a balance but against a defense led by Williams, Allen said the most important play to make on each down is the smart one.

“The smartest play’s the best play, especially against that defense, who thrives off getting turnovers,” Allen said. “They’re trying to get pressure on the quarterback. If there’s an option where we can get a back or receiver quick underneath and they can make some plays, that’s what we’re going to try and do.”

New Bills slot receiver Cole Beasley is likely going to be one of Allen’s most targeted weapons on Sunday and all season. The two have been hard at work trying to form a bond on the field and further their chemistry before the season kicks off. They didn’t get as long as they would have liked because Beasley missed all of spring work rehabbing back from groin surgery.

It’s been work trying to iron out the kinks at times but just days before the opener, Beasley said they’re ready to perform.

“With all the stuff we’re running now I feel like we’ve done it enough and he’s seen it enough that we’re always on the same page,” Beasley said. “At first the balls are late, but now he’s getting me the ball quicker and quicker. So he’s used to my body language and how I like to approach different things, different techniques as far as press coverage. If the ball’s getting there quick and accurate I can do a lot more damage after the catch.”

The Jets finished tied for 16th in the NFL last season with 39 sacks as a team. Williams’ aggressive coaching style combined with the acquisitions of linebacker C.J. Mosely and interior pass rusher Quinnen Williams should help New York ratchet up the pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Allen said one of the keys to the game is taking care of the football and not giving the Jets offense any extra chances. There’s a bunch of unknowns for teams heading into Week 1 without a ton of film to break down, but Allen said that if they focus on what they’re doing and focus on communication, they’ll be fine.

“Their defense is no joke,” Allen said. “So they’re going to be ready to play. I know Greg Williams has been a long-time defensive coordinator in this league. He’s got the respect of a lot of players, including myself, just as far as what he does and what he’s been able to do in his career. It’s a heavy matchup we’re going against and we’re not taking them lightly at all.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/09/buffalo-bills-qb-josh-allen-explains-how-to-beat-gregg-williams-jets-defense.html%3foutputType=amp

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Josh Allen scares me.

I don't think the Jets will ne blitzing much because of his ability to take off and run. The reply I know I'm going to get here is "well Josh can't put the ball in the ocean" but let's be honest, the lack of talent we have at CB doesn't bode well on paper against anyone as far as the passing game goes. I think the big keys here will be stopping their running backs, and hopefully getting a few turnovers, because I think Allen is going to end up with a big combined passing and rushing total by himself.

On offense, Darnold will have his hands full against a pretty good defense and needs to not turn the ball over and finish off drives. Our new PK doesn't inspire me. I don't want this game coming down to a late FG attempt by him.

My prediction, Darnold does enough, the Jets get a boost from the home crowd and pull off a 24-20 win. It won't be easy, but I think we're all going to be happy to finally see a well coached defense that can hold a lead in the 4th quarter.

I have a feeling we're going to make a lot of QB's look better than they are, but I still think we eek this one out.  I'm currently trash talking a Bills fan regarding Josh Allen with "friendly" banter in the other thread, but I still think he can exploit this secondary so, statistically, he'll probably put up numbers.  That being said, if this offense is what we think it can be, I think the Bills just lack the firepower to keep up with us.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Allen’s got a Rocket arm. But he’s a run first, single read QB. His accuracy isn’t great, in fact it’s terrible. He’s a very dangerous runner. I’d have Cashman spy him all game. 

Love Cashman, but Allen will bulldoze the guy if he's left one on one with him.  The interior of the line will have to make a big push and the edge will have to play to contain in order to neutralize his running.  Force him to play from the pocket.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Love Cashman, but Allen will bulldoze the guy if he's left one on one with him.  The interior of the line will have to make a big push and the edge will have to play to contain in order to neutralize his running.  Force him to play from the pocket.

Cashman is an ILB not a 200 pound Safety. He runs a 4.5-40. Allen will be scrambling a lot Sunday. I’d force him to pass. Make him one dimensional.

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Cashman is an ILB not a 200 pound Safety. He runs a 4.5-40. Allen will be scrambling a lot Sunday. I’d force him to pass. Make him one dimensional.

Nah, I get that.  He's still a 6-1 237 pound ILB who would, theoretically be going up against a guy who has 4 inches on him, who has a full head of steam, matches his weight, and is just as athletic, despite the size differential.  I just don't want to put him in that bad of a position in his first true NFL action. 

Definitely agree with just trying to keep him one dimensional.  It's our best bet.  I just don't know if SPY is the best way to do it and if Cashman is the guy for the job, should that be the way they go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I didn't exactly see an explanation of how to beat a Greg Williams defense? Josh Allen isn't close to understanding what Williams is gonna do and you can bet GW has a nice plan in store for this Bills Offense and I think Josh Allen knows it. I think Allen throws 2 picks and get beaten up quite a few times. Sure he will have a few runs and complete some passes but not nearly enough. Good luck Chumly - your gonna need it against this fuming Jet defense!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I didn't exactly see an explanation of how to beat a Greg Williams defense? Josh Allen isn't close to understanding what Williams is gonna do and you can bet GW has a nice plan in store for this Bills Offense and I think Josh Allen knows it. I think Allen throws 2 picks and get beaten up quite a few times. Sure he will have a few runs and complete some passes but not nearly enough. Good luck Chumly - your gonna need it against this fuming Jet defense!

Agreed ... fluff piece article ... doesn’t really say anything

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Josh Allen can't beat an egg LOL! He's got that stupid Scooby-Doo cross-eyed look on his face and I honestly don't think this guy could figure out how to microwave a 7-Eleven burrito. As far as Cole Beasley... meet Mr. Poole. Have your ice pack ready lil bitch!

In his defense those burritos are not easy. I've had one or two in my day and it seems I can only get them to be frozen or nuclear. 

LOL - so the old don't turn the ball over and extend plays to keep the ball away from their offense trick

Agents 33 and 56 might have something to say about that, Agent 22  will be back in action too

My guess is Josh will turn the ball over and complete a low percentage of passes - he is what he is

• Haha 1

Cool stats found on Josh Allen on playerprofiler.com 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/josh-allen/

Pros 

1. #13th Deep Ball Attempts 
  2. #1 in rushing yards per game (52) and rushing touchdowns (8)
  3. #8 Production Premium 
    • Production Premium compares the outcome of all pass attempts, carries, and targets to league-average outcome in those same game situations (yard line, down, and distance) Production Premium also takes into account time remaining and game score to account for non standard situations such as 2 minute drills, clock-milking, and garbage time. 

Cons 

1. #32 Passing yard per game and passing touchdown (10)
  2. #35 True Completion %
    • Completion % factoring out unpressured throwaways and drop passes 
  3. #22 Play Action Completion %

12 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Cool stats found on Josh Allen on playerprofiler.com 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/josh-allen/

Pros 

1. #13th Deep Ball Attempts 
  2. #1 in rushing yards per game (52) and rushing touchdowns (8)
  3. #8 Production Premium 
    • Production Premium compares the outcome of all pass attempts, carries, and targets to league-average outcome in those same game situations (yard line, down, and distance) Production Premium also takes into account time remaining and game score to account for non standard situations such as 2 minute drills, clock-milking, and garbage time. 

Cons 

1. #32 Passing yard per game and passing touchdown (10)
  2. #35 True Completion %
    • Completion % factoring out unpressured throwaways and drop passes 
  3. #22 Play Action Completion %

You know you suck, when your biggest threat as a QB is your feet, yet you cant effectively execute a play action. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

LOL - so the old don't turn the ball over and extend plays to keep the ball away from their offense trick

Agents 33 and 56 might have something to say about that, Agent 22  will be back in action too

My guess is Josh will turn the ball over and complete a low percentage of passes - he is what he is

And agent 20.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He weighed the same as Allen at the combine.  He seems prone to over run things.  Might not be the best choice for "spy"

It’s because Allen is pretty fleet of foot for a Big QB. He may run away from Mosley/Jenkins, he won’t get away from Cashman.

• Upvote 1