Josh Allen explains how to beat Gregg Williams Defense

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- New faces. New attitudes. New hopes.

The New York Jets made lots of major changes in the offseason. The Buffalo Bills did, too. The AFC East rivals are, of course, looking for much better results this season - starting with Sunday's opening game at MetLife Stadium.

''Great energy level, love it, but we've got to maintain that and we have to maintain that when there's adversity because in the NFL, it's never going to be smooth sailing,'' said Adam Gase, entering his first season as the Jets' coach. ''Something's going to come up. We're going to lose somebody at some point where it's going to hurt and then the next guy has got to step up and the rest of the guys got to make sure they do their job.''

The Jets haven't made the playoffs since the 2010 season, the second-longest drought in team history. They cleaned house from the front office on down through the roster, charging Gase and new general manager Joe Douglas with the task of getting back to the postseason and building a consistent winner.

That process starts with young building blocks such as quarterback Sam Darnold, safety Jamal Adams and rookie Quinnen Williams. The additions of running back Le'Veon Bell and linebacker C.J. Mosley will help things along.

''If you're a champion, if you're a competitor you want to win,'' Adams said. ''I can probably speak for everybody: If you don't make it to the Super Bowl, that's not a successful season. No matter what it is. As a competitor, that's our goal and that's what we're striving for.''

For the Bills, they slipped to 6-10 last year after going 9-7 and making the playoffs in Sean McDermott's first season, snapping a 17-year postseason drought.

They enter this season with a revamped offense that includes eight new starters, including four on the offensive line. The only returning starters are second-year quarterback Josh Allen, left tackle Dion Dawkins and fullback Patrick DiMarco.

The Bills' defense, which ranked No. 2 overall last season, returns mostly intact with the only departure Kyle Williams, who retired after 13 seasons. Buffalo filled his spot by drafting Ed Oliver in first round.

''I think there's a lot to prove with the guys that we've got on this team, we're very hungry,'' Allen said. ''We're not going to talk a lot, we're not going to be in the media a lot. We want to focus in and play the best football we can and win as many football games as we can.''

Here are some things to know about the season opener between the Bills and Jets:

BELL TOLLS

Bell will make his Jets debut after a 20-month layoff that included sitting out all of last season with Pittsburgh and signing a four-year, $52.5 million deal with New York in March.

He didn't play in a preseason game, but is healthy and eager to get on the field Sunday. Bell told Gase to not hold back on incorporating him into the game plan.

''I've been waiting a long time for this moment,'' the three-time Pro Bowl selection said.

The Bills know it, and expect to see shades of the same dominant running back who was one of the NFL's most versatile players before sitting out.

''He's a phenomenal player,'' Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes said. ''He knows how to get his body back in shape.''

ON THE RUN

While Buffalo put up stingy numbers overall, its run defense struggled last season. The Bills allowed 200-plus yards rushing three times last year.

Their red-zone defense also had its issues, allowing 34 touchdowns on 48 opponent possessions inside the 20. And Buffalo stopped an opponent from scoring any points just twice - and interception and missed field goal.

''We want to do so much more,'' safety Micah Hyde said. ''We want to take it to the next level. We want to play the game within the game and get to stopping routes the offense runs, or stopping the runs the offense runs.''

DARNOLD'S DEVELOPMENT

A key to the Jets' season will be the continued progress by Darnold, who threw six touchdown passes and just one interception in his last four games as a rookie.

Gase raved throughout the offseason and training camp about Darnold's mature approach to soaking up the playbook and his natural playmaking ability on the field. The coach also was excited about having a quarterback at this stage of his development, something he has never previously experienced.

Someone posted a thread about how Allen talks a lot of trash. Jenkins commented that last year Allen was talking trash to him as a rookie. I think the Jets defense will be EXTRA revved up to get after him and THIS year they have a better D-coordinator, an improved secondary, a deeper D-line and just a better overall defense. I think the only weakness in the gameplan against Allen will be the intermediate passing game. I expect Gregg Williams to be paying close attention to any dump offs and short passes and I think he will have Maye playing over the top at all times to prevent the deep bomb. They will spy Allen by platoon- mostly Adams, who will have the choice to fall back into coverage if he feels like Allen is contained in the pocket.

So, to me, if Allen can stay in the pocket and deliver on those intermediate seam, hitch and slant routes, the Bills will have success in the passing game. But that will be hard for him to do, he is not exactly known as an accurate QB. Unless, of course, the Jets D breaks down. The Bills could also just run the ball down the Jets throats. But somehow with the big boys up front I doubt they will be able to do that.  

On 9/5/2019 at 12:10 PM, GREENBEAN said:

It's interesting with our CB or even DB situation overall.  Poole is a very good nickel. Not top shelf but solid and can also lay some wood which is a very positive aspect. Tru, if healthy will be fine IMO. Williams will have him in more press and trying to disrupt the route early. We will see a resurgence of sorts if he is healthy. Roberts is an X factor, but I can't recall seeing him getting beaten all that much if at all in the preseason. Not hearing his name is a good thing.  Thing is, with all of the shuffling around of CB's we are still going to start with the 3 guys we were always going to start with. We just completely revamped the bottom of the unit. Clark, Jones and Nickerson are all gone.

The safety situation is where it gets really interesting. Two of our best D players happen to reside there and we got Farley who is also very solid and smart. After I watched that Eagles vid on how Roseman changed up the mentality by focusing on steady DL rotation and Safeties being more important than the CB's it hit me.It looks a lot like that's what Douglas is doing. Everyone questioning why we kept so many DL and so few CB's.  I can really see a focus on pressure up the middle and having fresh guys rotating almost constantly. Having packages where we have 3 safeties in a 4 2 5 D can keep our best players on the field at the same time.   

I think we may be surprised by what our D can do and how well they defend the pass. I'm really excited about the creative looks we are going to see and I think Allen just might be unable to get comfortable for any length of time. 

I'm glad someone is seeing the forest for the trees. Glenn Naughton (if you ever listen to his podcast- and as a Jet fan you should) has talked about this a lot-- has said ad nauseum that the reason they drafted QW over Allen was b/c of this trend in the NFL of good QBs being able to step into the pocket and avoid the outside rush. That the best way to get to the QB is to get to him from the inside. This also prevents your outside rusher from breaking contain (b/c all of a sudden the pressure is coming from the inside) on run-first QBs and it allows you to draft talented D-linemen who can also stop the run (ie. talented D-linemen like QW who can do both). 

I think we saw a VERY limited sample size of the potential of this Defense in preseason. They looked very good against everyone except for the Saints- who, to be fair, were one of the best offenses in the league last year. But otherwise, without Tru, the Jets D pretty much shut everyone down on their first drive if I remember correctly. I forget if the Giants scored on their first drive or not, I don't think they did. But you gotta think, with Tru back, and barring injuries, this defense should be able to generate some turnovers and get the ball back to our MUCH improved offense on a pretty regular basis against a team like the Bills.