Jump to content

Darnold to Face Tough Test at Home; Jets vs Bills Week 1 Preview


Recommended Posts

IMG_8489a.jpg

The Jets will open the 2019 season this Sunday with a 1pm kickoff against the division rival Buffalo Bills at MetLife Stadium in what could be a challenging afternoon for Sam Darnold.  The Second-year quarterback will look to get rolling in Adam Gase’s offense but that could be easier said than done as the Bills defense is a formidable unit.  Where are some of the key matchups?  Let’s take a look.

Sam Darnold vs Bills Secondary: Buffalo has one of the top secondaries in the NFL and didn’t allow more than 210 yards passing in 10 of their final 11 games last season according to NFL.com.  Bills safety Micah Hyde will move all around the Bills defense and can be  a difference maker against the run and the pass while Levi Wallace and Tre’Davious white look to clamp down on Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson.

RB Le’Veon Bell vs MLB Tremaine Edwards: This could turn out to be the biggest match-up of the day.  If Darnold struggles to get the ball moving through the air against Buffalo’s secondary, he could lean heavily on Bell who is one of the premiere pass catching backs in the NFL with one of the league’s most athletic linebackers in Edwards trying to keep him in check.  The two also figure to meet from time to time when the Jets look to get Bell moving as a runner.

S Jamal Adams vs QB Josh Allen: At this point in time, it may not be a stretch to say that Josh Allen is a bigger threat as a runner than a passer.  After completing 53% of his passes last season, Allen may have to rely on his legs once again if he continues to struggle in hitting his target.  If and when that happens, expect Adams, who should spend a fair amount of time around the line of scrimmage, to give chase.  Containing Allen on the ground will be key to stopping Buffalo from stealing a win, and Adams should be the one leading the charge when the game plan calls for it.

CB Brian Poole vs WR Cole Beasley: Bills quarterback Josh Allen is among the least accurate in the NFL so look for him to seek out Cole Beasley underneath quite a bit to get some “gimme” completions.  Beasley is  a quick slot guy who could pose some challenges for Poole.

LT Kelvin Beachum vs DE/OLB Jerry Hughes: Hughes can be a terror off the edge and spends most of his time coming from the blind side.  If Beachum isn’t able to keep him at bay for much of the day, the Jets offense will have a hard time establishing a rhythm.

K Kaare Vedvik vs K Kaare Vedvik: Vedvik has never kicked in an NFL game and only hurt himself after being traded to the Minnesota Vikings to displace Dan Bailey.  Following the trade, Vedvik promptly missing 3 of his next 4 field goal attempts and was cut loose.  Will the confidence be there for Vedvik to make a big kick in what should be a tight contest, or will the mental hangover from being cut be a distraction?

 

 

 

The post Darnold to Face Tough Test at Home; Jets vs Bills Week 1 Preview appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
wQx5Wc06Hb0

Click here to read the full story...

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a perfect game to see what’s what. 

How has Darnold grown

Where Bell is

How the oline is going to look

Are the CBs going to get killed

Is there a pass rush

How much has Anderson grown 

What Greg Williams is going to do with Leo and Q 

How are Gase and Williams going to work together in an actual game situation

What is the offense going to look like under Gase and the hobbit 

etc. 

 There’s a lot of questions this year. Hopefully there is a lot of good answers 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
This is a perfect game to see what’s what. 
How has Darnold grown
Where Bell is
How the oline is going to look
Are the CBs going to get killed
Is there a pass rush
How much has Anderson grown 
What Greg Williams is going to do with Leo and Q 
How are Gase and Williams going to work together in an actual game situation
What is the offense going to look like under Gase and the hobbit 
etc. 
 There’s a lot of questions this year. Hopefully there is a lot of good answers 
If our corners get killed by Josh ******* Allen .... I'm resubmitting my win total estimate and it will read ...

0-16

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If our corners get killed by Josh ******* Allen .... I'm resubmitting my win total estimate and it will read ...

0-16

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

Allen has Cannon for an arm so he can go over the top to Brown or Foster. They only need to connect on one or two and it will change the game. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Allen has Cannon for an arm so he can go over the top to Brown or Foster. They only need to connect on one or two and it will change the game. 

And even with Trumaine back, he isn’t the fastest. They’ll need the 3 safety look they’ve been working on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Sam Darnold vs Bills Secondary: Buffalo has one of the top secondaries in the NFL and didn’t allow more than 210 yards passing in 10 of their final 11 games last season according to NFL.com.  Bills safety Micah Hyde will move all around the Bills defense and can be  a difference maker against the run and the pass while Levi Wallace and Tre’Davious white look to clamp down on Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson.

RB Le’Veon Bell vs MLB Tremaine Edwards: This could turn out to be the biggest match-up of the day.  If Darnold struggles to get the ball moving through the air against Buffalo’s secondary, he could lean heavily on Bell who is one of the premiere pass catching backs in the NFL with one of the league’s most athletic linebackers in Edwards trying to keep him in check.  The two also figure to meet from time to time when the Jets look to get Bell moving as a runner.

S Jamal Adams vs QB Josh Allen: At this point in time, it may not be a stretch to say that Josh Allen is a bigger threat as a runner than a passer.  After completing 53% of his passes last season, Allen may have to rely on his legs once again if he continues to struggle in hitting his target.  If and when that happens, expect Adams, who should spend a fair amount of time around the line of scrimmage, to give chase.  Containing Allen on the ground will be key to stopping Buffalo from stealing a win, and Adams should be the one leading the charge when the game plan calls for it.

CB Brian Poole vs WR Cole Beasley: Bills quarterback Josh Allen is among the least accurate in the NFL so look for him to seek out Cole Beasley underneath quite a bit to get some “gimme” completions.  Beasley is  a quick slot guy who could pose some challenges for Poole.

LT Kelvin Beachum vs DE/OLB Jerry Hughes: Hughes can be a terror off the edge and spends most of his time coming from the blind side.  If Beachum isn’t able to keep him at bay for much of the day, the Jets offense will have a hard time establishing a rhythm.

K Kaare Vedvik vs K Kaare Vedvik: Vedvik has never kicked in an NFL game and only hurt himself after being traded to the Minnesota Vikings to displace Dan Bailey.  Following the trade, Vedvik promptly missing 3 of his next 4 field goal attempts and was cut loose.  Will the confidence be there for Vedvik to make a big kick in what should be a tight contest, or will the mental hangover from being cut be a distraction?

Sam Darnold vs Bills Secondary: 190 yards passing, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception. 

The Jets are going to have to rely on there running game to open up the passing game and get some separation from a top ranked pass defensive group from last year. Expect Montgomery to get extra touches in Herndon's absence and the attention Bell is going to be receiving from Buffalo's front 7. 

RB Le’Veon Bell vs MLB Tremaine Edwards: This could turn out to be the biggest match-up of the day.

Most of Edmunds tackles come inside the numbers with not a lot of his tackles being made outside. A weakness Edmunds had in 2018 was getting off his original blocks. We need some multiple tight end packages or plays designed to roll a guard out and get a block on this kid. If Bell gets any sort of time on Sunday, he is going to make the correct read and burst.  

S Jamal Adams vs QB Josh Allen: Josh Allen Deep Ball 

If these corners give up a 40+ play or two early, expect a safety or maybe 2 dropping back in coverage to help these below average corners out. GW is known for putting a safety a million yards deep, who will most likely be Maye, if Adams is playing spy role most of the game, we will see one on one coverage a lot with players like Brown/Beasley. Heavy pass rush or these corners need to hold up, either way its asking a lot from this group.

CB Brian Poole vs WR Cole Beasley: Cover 2/ Tampa Coverage

These are the plays that make me nervous with a player like Beasley. We can't blitz or disguise all the time, if Allen is improved and can read when we are in these cover zone defenses, its going to be a long day.  

LT Kelvin Beachum vs DE/OLB Jerry Hughes: Jerry Hughes - 1 sack, 2 TFL, 3 tackles

Chuck Pagano will be moving all of his OLB all round. I expect Beachum to give up only 1 sack in what should be a very difficult match up for him. Some of these TFL maybe coming off of stacked boxes and our offensive line not being in tune just yet in only week 1. 

K Kaare Vedvik vs K Kaare Vedvik: No comment lol 

40 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Allen has Cannon for an arm so he can go over the top to Brown or Foster. They only need to connect on one or two and it will change the game. 

Greg Williams is going to have Marcus Maye so far back on an island they will have to expand the camera view to get him in the shot before the play. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

If our corners get killed by Josh ******* Allen .... I'm resubmitting my win total estimate and it will read ...

0-16

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

It should be expected that a good DC should mask problems like the low end CBs we have, but the concern has to be there if we fall into our past rut of struggling in the pas rush, because then that cannot be used to limit the amount of time our CBs cover, and therefore they or any CBs that are not all pros for the top 3 CBs on the D will get torched consistently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And even with Trumaine back, he isn’t the fastest. They’ll need the 3 safety look they’ve been working on.

If I was the Bill OC I’d go 4 wide and spread the field. That gives Allen running room and the chance to make a few deep completions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen has Cannon for an arm so he can go over the top to Brown or Foster. They only need to connect on one or two and it will change the game. 
I expect Maye to remain in top...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeTMAC said:

Feed the BellCow is how the Jets are going to win this game. Low scoring game the Jets defense setting the tone. Field goal kickers going to have to make some field goals. Defense defense defense

then we are ****ed

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am seeing a lot of people afraid of Cole Beasley. Just going to say, if they can't find a way to contain Cole Beasley it is going to be a LONG year.

Falcons lost a SB cos they couldnt contain James White...   

(and b/c Falcons onlhy threw to Julio 4 times all game )

its about matchups

    

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Its kind of weird how the rest of the NFL seems to think pretty highly of Josh Allen, yet Jets fans are convinced he is terrible. He has a cannon for an arm, and some wheels, that alone makes him very dangerous.

He has a live arm and live legs, but has a penchant for throwing pretty inaccurately and you can see sometimes they are just bad decisions, which hopefully we get a few of Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the first few games of the season are usually unpredictable.  most times the specials do some damage and the defense is in advance of the offenses.  one thing to take note is past performance is not a good indicator of future performance when it comes to the nfl.  imo the jets win this game and it's not going to be a nail biter.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Schemes can make average players look a lot better.

you started off saying a good DC can make up for BAD CBs...  I am talking about BAD players...

as in, no matter what we did, when Darron Lee was on the field it was like playing with 10 men...and notice? He's gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Its kind of weird how the rest of the NFL seems to think pretty highly of Josh Allen, yet Jets fans are convinced he is terrible. He has a cannon for an arm, and some wheels, that alone makes him very dangerous.

I was perusing a Bills forum the other day and one dude was saying Josh Allen is basically Michael Vick. I laughed so hard I nearly had to create an account to respond.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was perusing a Bills forum the other day and one dude was saying Josh Allen is basically Michael Vick. I laughed so hard I nearly had to create an account to respond.

It goes both ways.

I saw a post here in tonight's game thread where someone said Darnold is better then Rodgers. Not one person besides me questioned that.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, NoBowles said:

Its kind of weird how the rest of the NFL seems to think pretty highly of Josh Allen, yet Jets fans are convinced he is terrible. He has a cannon for an arm, and some wheels, that alone makes him very dangerous.

The rest of the NFL are idiots.  They think lack of accuracy can be made up for in other ways.  In the long run, they can't.  It's all fine and good for a running QB until his knees get crushed.  And  as for the deep ball, only bad defenses get beaten by those with consistency. 

At some point in this game you have to be a decent pocket passer.  To be that, you need to be accurate.  Allen's accuracy problems will never, ever get fixed.

NFL fans love flashy plays.  Allen will have some of those.  But he'll never be a successful pro QB.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The rest of the NFL are idiots.  They think lack of accuracy can be made up for in other ways.  In the long run, they can't.  It's all fine and good for a running QB until his knees get crushed.  And  as for the deep ball, only bad defenses get beaten by those with consistency. 

At some point in this game you have to be a decent pocket passer.  To be that, you need to be accurate.  Allen's accuracy problems will never, ever get fixed.

NFL fans love flashy plays.  Allen will have some of those.  But he'll never be a successful pro QB.  

The rest of the NFL = idiots, and millennial Jets fans have it all figured out, got it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any reason why the Jets shouldn't win this game. Despite the Jets problems, and they are many, Buffalo does nothing especially well accept defend. Sam Darnold IS a clearly better QB than Josh Allen. He will also have Leveon Bell as a crutch to lean on. Bell, if blocked for appropriately, can build Sammy's confidence by setting him up with a lot 3rd and shorts. Our defense should be able to rattle Josh Allen rather easily. He resorts to running the ball far too quickly and that will open up opportunities for the Jets defense to strip the ball away from Allen. If Allen is forced to stay in the pocket I believe that puts the Jets defense in the best possible position. If Allen passed enough times he will surely get intercepted.

Now I'm normally not the most optimistic person in the world, but I've seen a few Jets teams the last couple seasons dominate Buffalo. If those interior teams could do it then I see no reason why this Jets team would lose. I look for a 24-17 Jets victory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

The rest of the NFL = idiots, and millennial Jets fans have it all figured out, got it.

No QB with a statistical profile of Josh Allen's has ever succeeded in the NFL.  It's not opinion.  It's just numbers.  

You do realize most of the NFL loved prospects like JaMarcus Russell, Marcus Mariota and Ryan Leaf too, right?  "Consensus opinions" aren't always correct.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what to expect! My mind keeps swinging back and forth like a pendulum, from seeing the best case scenarios to the worst.

I see our offense working like a well oiled machine, but then I imagine our secondary getting burned... I see the DL making stops and getting more pressure than maybe is expected, but then I imagine 2 missed field goals in the first half.

This team and this game could go so many ways... I know that's football. It's hard to predict... But I just can't pin down how I feel about things! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No QB with a statistical profile of Josh Allen's has ever succeeded in the NFL.  It's not opinion.  It's just numbers.  

You do realize most of the NFL loved prospects like JaMarcus Russell, Marcus Mariota and Ryan Leaf too, right?  "Consensus opinions" aren't always correct.  

Please stop with the statistical profile nonsense. There are too many dependent variables in football to use that as a gauge for whether or not a QB can succeed. It’s beyond idiotic. According to your stat profile Dan Jones can’t possibly succeed either. I hate it when people who don’t understand statistics attempt to use them and then act like they are onto something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Pegula's wanted to be competitive, and Josh Allen reminded the Beane/McDermott Team of their last meal ticket, Cam Newton.  

Cam Newton has had NFL success, but also has been injured alot.  

QBs like Allen are not successful against good defenses.  I don't know whether the Jets are a good defense, and if they can defend his deep passes.  

I agree that this will be a higher scoring game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...