Sam & Adam.. ~ ~ ~

kelly

The New York Jets are on the verge of their season imploding in 2019. Here’s why Adam Gase took full blame and how they can turn the season around.

In the first quarter of the season, the New York Jets have gone winless (0-4).

The defense has given up 101 points so far this season. While the offense is second-worst in the league (only behind the inept Miami Dolphins). But who is to blame for everything that has gone wrong ?  Jets head coach Adam Gase pointed at himself following the team’s Week 5 road loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

“That’s on me. I told those guys in there that I’ll get it fixed. It’s on me, nobody else. That’s what we’re going to do. – via Rich Cimini, ESPN.

Every New York Jets fan on planet Earth has also pointed their fat fingers at Gase as the main culprit for the team’s struggles.While certainly, his play calling is much to be desired (the first series of the game called two runs and threw a pass on a predictable third down), he isn’t solely to blame.His starting quarterback Sam Darnold was expected to return vs the Eagles, received the majority of the first-team reps, then surprisingly was ruled out on Thursday night. Gase’s second-string quarterback who has familiarity with his system, Trevor Siemian, broke his ankle in Week 2.Plus sprinkle in a laundry list of other injuries across the team. Slap all that together and you have a wonderful recipe for a suck sandwich.

Despite not being solely to blame for the 0-4 start, it was smart of Gase to take it on the chin anyway.

Things are getting testy.

Jamal Adams loves winning and his defense has played well enough for the team to win. While the offense simply has been outperformed.When you have a relationship where one side isn’t doing their fair share, it’s only natural to start playing the blame game. If that starts to happen the Jets could have a toxic locker room split on their hands, so for Gase to recognize that a step ahead and take the brunt of the blame shows Adam is learning from his past mistakes.

In his previous stint with the Miami Dolphins, there was a lot of reported locker room fractures and beef between Gase and his best players.By taking ownership Adam removes the finger-pointing and takes accountability which will trickle down through to the players. But the next step for Adam is to follow up on his words, he needs to get this offense fixed sooner rather than later if the team hopes to turn it around.

Darnold is expected back this week and tight end Chris Herndon has returned from his four-game suspension. Both of those additions should help the cause for the green and white.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/10/07/new-york-jets-hc-adam-gase-takes-full-blame-0-4-start/

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he wasn't surprised by the Jets' offensive "explosion" yesterday. Tossing a bouquet to Adam Gase, Belichick said, "Give him a little extra time, get the quarterback back, iron out a few things, it's not a big surprise to see Adam show a big spike in improvement." Belichick, who faces Gase next Monday, called him an "excellent" coach, adding, "I fully expected things to improve once he had some time to work on it."

>      https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Sam Darnold will be wearing some extra padding to protect his spleen from excessive trauma when he takes the field Sunday against the Cowboys.

Darnold’s usual shoulder pads don’t offer much protection for his torso, so he was fitted for a specialized pad made by the same company that designed the flak jacket Cam Newton wore in 2015, according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.Newton wore the flak jacket after suffering a rib injury during the 2015 preseason and wore it all the way through an MVP season and Super Bowl berth.

Darnold missed the past month with mononucleosis and wasn’t cleared to play in Week 5 because of concerns over the size of his spleen. Gase, Darnold and doctors all feel his body is ready to go now,but the Jets aren’t taking any chances with their franchise quarterback in Week 6.Regardless of what kinds of pads he’s wearing, Darnold will be at the mercy of the Jets offensive line, which gave up 10 sacks just a week ago. The Cowboys have a menacing pass rush with DeMarcus Lawrence and Robert Quinn, so the more protection the better.

The Jets have a lot riding on Darnold after their 0-4 start. He could either be the key to unlocking a disappointing offense or just another underperforming player in a lost season.

>       https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/11/sam-darnolds-special-pads-made-by-same-company-that-helped-cam-newton/

Sam Darnold was named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week following his impressive performance against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

In his return from mono, the Jets second-year quarterback completed 23-32 passes for 338 yards and two touchdowns. Darnold completed 71.9 percent of his passes and was three yards short of tying his career high.He finished the game with a 117.6 passer rating. His lone blip on the radar was an interception in the red zone, where it appeared that him and Jamison Crowder weren’t on the same page.

Over his last six starts, Darnold has completed 66.2 percent of his passes for nine touchdowns, two interceptions and an impressive passer rating of 98.5.Darnold returned with a vengeance and looked exactly like the quarterback he was against the Green Bay Packers in Week 16 of the 2018 season and training camp as well.

It was obvious that he wasn’t completely healthy in Week 1 in the Jets’ 17-16 loss to the Bills. Now that he’s returned to form and looked the best he’s ever had, Darnold has a chance to take the Jets on a run with the league’s easiest schedule following Monday night’s game against the Patriots.

>      https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/16/sam-darnold-named-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week/

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

QB Sam Darnold has high expectations for the Jets' offense, and all it took was one good game. He said: "Right now, we're just missing Chris (Herndon). Once all the guys are back together, I think we're unstoppable as an offense – or we can be. It's just up to us and how we execute. It's really up to us how many points we score, I think. I think we're capable of so many points." The Patriots might have something to say about that.

>        https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets are 1-5, so forget about the playoffs. They needed to upset the Patriots to keep alive slim postseason hopes. What now? "It's bad to just give up," DL Leonard Williams said. "I definitely don't see that in anybody on this team." That will be Adam Gase's challenge over the final 10 games.

No one humbles a team quite like the New England Patriots.

The Jets were feeling sky-high after their first win of the season over the Dallas Cowboys just a week ago but crashed back down to reality against the Patriots. New England exposed every single weakness on the Jets – inexperienced quarterback play, terrible blocking along the offensive line and uninspiring coaching.

Monday night’s loss was a stark reminder as to where the franchise currently sits as a team in the NFL, and how much further the Jets have to go before becoming legitimate contenders. For all the talk of Darnold’s progression throughout the offseason, the flashes of brilliance and an improved offense, Darnold made a lot of mistakes. He missed throws to receivers, threw off his back foot on all four of his interceptions and generally looked lost behind the line of scrimmage. A lot of the problems with Darnold can be attributed to his offensive line, but he even played poorly when they blocked well. After Week 7, Darnold’s 55.1 clean-pocket passing grade is the worst in the league among 37 qualifiers, according to Pro Football Focus.

The offensive line didn’t do Darnold any favors, either. The unit only allowed one sack and two quarterback hits but also gave up 11 pressures and consistently failed to pick up the Patriots pass rush. All five of Darnold’s turnovers (his four picks plus a sack-fumble) came when a defender rushed Darnold unblocked, and Adam Gase never found a way to account for the Patriot’s blitzes.To their credit, the Patriots did an excellent job at employing a zero blitz (meaning there’s no safety help in the defensive backfield) against the Jets that allowed for the free rusher to attack Darnold. But after the second or third time, Gase should have been able to identify the rush and slide protection, or at least call a play that would take advantage of the Patriots’ gap in coverage. Instead, the Jets allowed the Patriots to torment their franchise quarterback, so much so that Darnold was caught admitting he was “seeing ghosts.” Darnold only had 2.59 seconds to throw on average – fourth lowest in Week 7 – which can explain in part his 34.4 completion percentage and his 15 off-target pass attempts (tied for the most in a game this season, per ESPN).

Gregg Williams and his defense did what they could against one of the best offenses in the NFL, but the Patriots still exposed the Jets’ weak secondary. Trumaine Johnson, who the Jets gave a $72.5 million contract to be their shutdown cornerback, had trouble against the likes of Phillip Dorsett II and Jakobi Meyers. He has the third-highest cap hit on the Jets but might actually be their worst player on defense after another pitiful performance.There aren’t many positives from the loss to the Patriots, but at least the game confirmed a lot of the issues the Jets assumed they resolved in their win over the Cowboys – they need help at offensive line, wide receiver, pass rush and cornerback. The offensive line is probably the biggest issue that still needs a lot of work, but that might not be resolved until the offseason when Ryan Kalil, Kelvin Beachum and Brandon Shell all hit free agency and Brian Winters and Kelechi Osemele reach the non-guaranteed portion of their contracts.

Despite Darnold having arguably the worst game of his short career, the Jets won’t worry about their young quarterback. What they do need to worry about is the roster around him, and that will be on Joe Douglas to correct. If they continue to give Darnold a porous offensive line and brick-handed receiving corps, more games like the Monday night massacre are in store for the Jets.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/23/sam-darnold-mistakes-jets-lack-of-talent-offensive-line/

Jets coach Adam Gase, off to a 1-5 start, expressed a hint of defiance when asked if he's the "right guy" for this job. "Right now, I'm the one in position to do this," he said. "I've got a lot of experience doing this. I mean, I don't have to sell my job. This is what I do." You can't judge a coach after six games, especially when he's had his starting QB for only three of them. However, the team should make progress over the final 10 games, especially against a relatively soft schedule.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

Unlike Adam Gase, Jets QB Sam Darnold said he's not bothered that his mic'd up comment ("seeing ghosts") was aired by ESPN. He shook it off, even saying he wouldn't have second thoughts about being mic'd up in the future. Playing poorly made him "sick to my stomach," but he claimed he's over the Monday night debacle. "I feel like I'm in a really good place right now," he said.

>    https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Sam Darnold became the first QB this season to throw at least three interceptions in back-to-back games. "Two of my worst games ever," he said. In his post-game presser, Darnold said five times, "I've got to play better" — or a variation of that." He said his sprained left thumb "didn't have any effect on me."

Adam Gase will return to Miami the same way he left it: as a losing head coach on the hot seat.

Many expected Gase, now running the Jets, to be a better coach his second time around because of his experience and creativity on the offensive side of the ball. Turns out, he’s learned nothing from his previous head coaching stop.Sam Darnold, who was supposed to become a star under Gase’s watch, has regressed. The offensive line play and play-calling have been equally bad, but Darnold is still making the same mistakes he made in college and in his rookie season. The Jets head coach even admitted after his team’s 29-15 loss to the Jaguars that he is not putting Darnold in the correct position to succeed.

No matter what you think about Gase, the Jets have only eclipsed 16 points one time this season. That was excusable when Luke Falk was under center, but not anymore. With Sunday’s 29-15 loss to the Jaguars, Gase now has more career losses by double-digits than he does total wins.With the Jets reeling at 1-6, Gase is in danger of losing his locker room and his job once again. Gase had supporters in the locker room down in South Beach, but Dolphins owner Stephen Ross couldn’t overlook a 23-25 record through three seasons.

“We need to focus on winning a game,” Gase said. “The fact that I was there last year is irrelevant.”

Maybe that’s true, but there is some symbolism at play. The Jets brass should be inching closer and closer to same realization the Dolphins made as Gase returns to Miami for the first time since he was fired nine months ago. Gase’s former team is one of the worst in recent NFL history, but that’s by design. The Dolphins are essentially trying to lose games and a loss to them would be rock bottom for a head coach who has already lost support from the fanbase and has unnerved the media from his snide press conferences.In three seasons in Miami, Gase exited with a losing record. The coach led the Dolphins to a 10-6 record and a playoff appearance in his first year with the organization. The past two years, he compiled a 13-19 record. After jumping out to a 3-0 start to the 2018 season, Miami finished 7-9.

The Dolphins ranked 24th in the NFL in yards and 17th in points during their 2016 wild-card season. They then dipped to 25th in yards and 28th in points in 2017 and 31st and 26th last year.After becoming the next head coach of the Jets, Gase was propped up as an offensive genius and quarterback whisperer, even coming with a recommendation from Peyton Manning. Now, the Jets are in the stage of having buyer’s remorse.The Jets hired Gase partly because he went 5-1 against them during his time in Miami and due to his past success working with quarterbacks. If anything, Gase has beaten the Jets himself and Darnold has only regressed under his direction.

Now, the prospect of a loss to the winless Dolphins would be demoralizing, especially if the head coach can’t rally his troops out of a funk to beat the team that fired him nine months prior.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/29/adam-gase-miami-dolphins-return-new-york-jets/

Taking a page out of the Bill Belichick playbook, Adam Gase addressed only next-opponent questions in his presser. He refused to address the turmoil that surrounds the team — namely the Jamal Adams situation. "I'll talk about Miami," he said repeatedly. Except he didn't want to talk about Miami when questioned about his tenure with the Dolphins. He did say this about Adams: "He'll be focused on Miami." Gase said the trade-deadline fallout will be "handled internally."

Rich Cimini    ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Adam Gase showed virtually no emotion after getting embarrassed by his former team. He sounded like a broken record, reciting the usual laundry list of reasons they lost. Asked if he was embarrassed, he bristled, "It's the NFL, man. You can't be embarrassed by this s—-, man."

-- CEO Christopher Johnson was dressed in a dark suit, fitting for the occasion. He stood in the entrance to the New York Jets' locker room, waiting to shake the players' hands as they entered after the game -- his weekly ritual, win or lose. Before they arrived, he stood with hands on hips, looking positively ticked off as echoes of "Fire Gase!" were heard in the distance from an angry mob of Jets fans that waited for their disgraced heroes as they trudged off the field Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium.

Coach Adam Gase is 1-7 in his first season, hitting rock bottom with a 26-18 loss to the previously winless Miami Dolphins. The record is an eyesore on his résumé, but the most disturbing part of this rotten season is how his pet project -- quarterback Sam Darnold -- has regressed. He has been badly outplayed by Tom Brady (no shame in that), rookie Gardner Minshew and journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick in a span of three weeks, raising questions the organization never thought it would have to confront.

What's wrong with Darnold? How can they get him fixed?

Darnold's three-game slide, which began with the "ghosts" game against the New England Patriots, has produced ghastly numbers -- 59-for-101, 564 yards, three touchdowns, eight interceptions and a 50.9 passer rating. The Darnold-led offense has generated only two touchdown drives in that span, both game-opening possessions. After that, it falls apart.

Gase, fiercely protective of his quarterback, refused to acknowledge the obvious.

"I don't know if I can say that,"Gase said,when asked if Darnold has taken steps backward."I've got to go back and watch this thing and reallydiagnose kind of what happened throughout the game.Like the last game,there were a lot of good things;it was just two or three bad plays.Just for a quarterback sometimes, when you have a bad play, it's a turnover. I've got to go back and look at this thing and kind of see what was going on."

Darnold was trending upward after his brilliant performance against the Dallas Cowboys, but the lack of pass protection has caused him to develop bad habits -- happy feet, back-foot throws and bad decisions under pressure. He looks like he did in his final season at USC in 2017, when he was pressing and his turnover count soared. He has terrific instincts for the position, but he can get off track when he starts playing outside his comfort zone.

In his past 31 games, counting his final year in college, Darnold has 36 interceptions.

"My confidence is never going to waver," he said. "I'm very, very confident in myself and this team. We have flashes of going down there and scoring. We just have to do it every single drive."Sunday's low point came late in the second quarter, when he was intercepted near the goal line on a sprint out to the left. His No. 1 read was wide receiver Jamison Crowder, but he got knocked off his route by teammate Robby Anderson, who was re-routed by the defensive back. Instead of sailing the ball out of bounds, Darnold waited too long. By the time he tried to throw it away, linebacker Raekwon McMillan was draped on him and the ball came out like a bar of soap -- Darnold's fifth red zone interception since 2018, most in the league.

"Once I saw everything was crowded, I just tried to throw it away," Darnold said. "It didn't work out."

Darnold (27-for-39, 260 yards) struggled against a secondary that was missing its two best players, cornerback Xavien Howard and safety Reshad Jones. Later, there was a miscommunication on an errant shotgun snap that resulted in a safety. Darnold, protecting his teammates, refused to reveal the culprit. Gase has seen that play before; it was eerily similar to Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLVIII when Gase was the Denver Broncos' defensive coordinator.This week, the spotlight will intensify on Darnold because the next opponent is the New York Giants. That means a week of comparisons to Daniel Jones, who has outplayed Darnold even though he's only a rookie.Gase and Darnold are joined at the hip. If Darnold continues to spiral, Gase continues to spiral. The coach needs to get his star pupil on track, or it will continue to get ugly.

"We're 1-7," Gase said. "Everybody feels like crap."

>       https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/81444/ghosts-to-ghastly-sam-darnolds-three-game-slump-cause-for-concern

Adam Gase admitted he screwed up his clock management at the end of the game. He sure did. Inexplicably, he didn't use a timeout until the Dolphins were in victory formation. (Huh?) Down 9, Gase let Miami milk nearly 4 minutes off the clock. When the Jets got the ball back at 2:50, he again refused to use a timeout. There was zero urgency on the Jets' sideline. Gase said he "wasn't really happy with the way I operated in that situation...It's one, unfortunately, I'm going to have to learn from."

It's not easy being a head coach in the NFL. The season began with eight new coaches -- we're looking at rookie head coaches and veteran coaches with new teams. The eight have a combined record of 17-47-1.

Not everyone has struggled out of the gate -- Matt LaFleur has the Packers in first place in the NFC North. How has everyone else fared ? NFL Nation gauges the first-half performance of each new head coach, and NFL reporter Dan Graziano offers them some advice for the second half of the season.

~ ~ nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true  Adam Gase, New York Jets (1-7)

Biggest signs of progress: The Jets have been so bad that it's really hard to pinpoint one area in which Gase has excelled. The team is a laughingstock because its offense is historically bad (Gase's area of expertise) and because of off-the-field dramas. Star safety Jamal Adams is feuding with management because he was dangled in trade talks, and former guard Kelechi Osemele was cut because he had shoulder surgery without the blessing of the team -- an ugly divorce that made the organization look bad. In Gase's defense, there hasn't been a full-blown mutiny in the locker room (yet), so that's something. He also has managed to keep his cool with the media, another small victory.

What he needs to do better: Gase's pet project, QB Sam Darnold, has regressed under his tutelage. Gase has failed to create a pass-protection scheme that protects the franchise's No. 1 asset from a weekly beating. There have been too many blown assignments and mental errors on offense. He hasn't figured out a way to get versatile RB Le'Veon Bell involved in the offense on a consistent basis. Granted, he's working with a sub-standard offensive line, but there has been no evidence that suggests he can get replacement-level players to overachieve. Gase's game management has been suspect, and there's no excuse for that because he's a fourth-year head coach. We could go on, but you get the point. -- Rich Cimini

Second-half advice: Get Darnold on track. There's no way this season can possibly live up to any win/loss expectations you had for it, and frankly, they're calling for your head already. Your best bet to get the angry mob off your back is to get Darnold playing at a higher level by the end of the year than he is right now. What the Jets' fan base wants is hope, and if they think Darnold is on the ascent, that'll help. -- Dan Graziano

rest of above article :

>    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28006289/grading-eight-new-nfl-head-coaches-acing-flailing

• 2 weeks later...

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Naturally, coach Adam Gase was grateful for the public vote of confidence from CEO Christopher Johnson. "To get his support, and for him to see what we're trying to do, that's an important step for us," Gase said. He wouldn't comment on how it might affect the locker room, saying the room has been focused all season. Asked if the speculation about his job security was a distraction, he said, "Nobody in this building, but I can't speak for the outside. I'm closed in a little bit."

>      https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Adam Gase didn't seem happy by Quincy Enunwa's Twitter rant about his fines. Gase: "We handle our stuff in-house. Some people choose to use social media. There's probably a reason they're doing that." Otherwise, he declined to elaborate: "We have a way we do things. That's the way it is." Gase said he hasn't seen Enunwa. They actually had a brief conversation on Wednesday about that matter, a source said.

Rich Cimini    ESPN Staff Writer 

Coach Adam Gase said Sam Darnold has taken ownership of the offense. "He knows what he likes, he knows what he doesn't like and he's not afraid to say it," Gase said. "He's taking more control of everything." This was Darnold's first four-TD game since his 2017 season at USC.

Rich Cimini    ESPN Staff Writer 

The post-Jacksonville convo between QB Sam Darnold and Adam Gase has generated attention as a potential turning point. Gase welcomed Darnold's assertiveness, saying it was the "right time" for the young QB to express his opinions on the pros and cons of the offense. Darnold said he spoke up because of his comfort level with Gase and the offense, saying "it was important for that conversation to happen." Since then, his play has improved.

>     https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

10 games into his coaching tenure with the New York Jets, head coach Adam Gase’s offense is finally starting to breakthrough.

In his first eight games with the New York Jets, Adam Gase’s offense was ranked 32nd in football and his team sat at a 1-7 record. A demoralizing loss to the lowly Miami Dolphins was seemingly the dagger to a truly awful season.Two weeks later, his squad sits at a not-so-embarrassing 3-7 rolling on a two-game win streak and his offense is coming off their best game of the year by a landslide. Say what you want about Gase and his Jets tenure so far, but give credit where it’s due.

his offense has drastically improved.

Sam Darnold began being more assertive in game planning with Gase, reportedly confronting his coach following his brutal outing against the New England Patriots. Darnold went over the playbook with Gase, telling him what he felt they could run effectively and what they couldn’t.Since that meeting, the Jets have a 2-1 record and have had some of their most productive games of the season offensively.

In those games, Darnold has completed 65 percent of his passes while throwing for 783 yards, six touchdowns, and two interceptions. His rating in these three games was 101.5, compared to a season rating of 81.1.Gase has play-called to Darnold’s strengths much better in recent weeks, allowing Darnold to do what makes him great: roll out of the pocket and make plays. This has been a gigantic beneficiary to Darnold. Standing behind the Jets’ inept offensive line was never an answer to their problems.

Darnold had the best game of his NFL career on Sunday, posting a career-high four touchdowns and a QB rating of 121.8 in the Jets’ dominant performance against the Washington Redskins.He’s revived what looked like a throwaway season for him, getting his TD:INT ratio positive, and more importantly, winning football games.

These games may have been against subpar defenses, but so what? The Jets offense looks competent for the first time in far too long.If the Jets can keep their hot streak rolling against the playoff-contending Oakland Raiders, that would be a very convincing win for Gase and his staff. The longer Darnold has with Gase and his offense, the better he will get under it.The Jets weren’t necessarily destined for offensive success with a new head coach, an everlasting list of injuries, and a 22-year-old quarterback trying to handle it all under center isn’t a formula for success.

Now that the two have worked with each other, with Gase coaching to Darnold’s strengths, hopefully they can get the offense rolling in the second half of the season.

>   https://thejetpress.com/2019/11/19/new-york-jets-adam-gase-offense-corner/