PFF has the Jets ranked 31 for the week 1 power ranking

Rhg1084

In defense of PFF: we finished last in our division for the past 3 seasons. If Montana & Rice's Niners put 3 straight campaigns like that together - how high would they deserve to be on a pre-season power ranking? We're deep with promise, but very light in earned respect. 

So if we throw considerably more wins in the W column I'm sure we'll move up next year. 

I'd personally rather see the Jets make deep playoff runs / SB appearances than get "respect" from columnists who are simply filling out empty columns for online content.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

CBS.Com has us at 19.

19. New York Jets

This Sam Darnold kid’s pretty good, maybe the first time you could say that about a Jets quarterback since Broadway Joe. We know what Le’Veon Bell can do. Jets are going to be better than you think. 

This PFF list has us behind the Giants?  Bills? Dolphins???

LOL, ok

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sackdance said:

In defense of PFF: we finished last in our division for the past 3 seasons. If Montana & Rice's Niners put 3 straight campaigns like that together - how high would they deserve to be on a pre-season power ranking? We're deep with promise, but very light in earned respect. 

So if we throw considerably more wins in the W column I'm sure we'll move up next year. 

I'd personally rather see the Jets make deep playoff runs / SB appearances than get "respect" from columnists who are simply filling out empty columns for online content.  

ANd three years ago has nothing to do with today.

Darnold wasnt on the team, Bell etc.  Bowles was our HC with KC and whoever as DC & OC. 

Three years is a lifetime ago in football

16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Dolphins are ranked higher. Just blantant disrespect for the Jets from the whole national media 

EF0147C3-FADA-40DE-AF21-A71CC5A99A2E.png

OK, they mostly base the ranking off last years finish... Understandable... they even say in the write up that they 'should fly up the rankings' if he shows anything like the last 4 games of last year.

NFL.COM has us at 22.  

RANK

jets-logo.jpg

NEW YORK JETS

Previous rank: No. 22 

It will be interesting to see how the Jets deploy running back Ty Montgomery in the season's early weeks. Le'Veon Bell is obviously the backfield centerpiece in New York, but he also hasn't played a down of real football in 20 months. Bell is sure to be a touch monster in time, but don't be surprised if Montgomery's role is significant in September. He's looked very comfortable in Adam Gase's offense this summer, and like Bell, he offers versatility with his ability as a runner and receiver. One issue that will be an obstacle for both Bell and Montgomery: The Jets' starting offensive line -- which includes offseason additions Kelechi Osemele and Ryan Kalil -- will enter the regular season having not played a single snap together as a group. This could be trouble against an imposing Bills front seven in Week 1.

RANK

bills-logo.jpg

BUFFALO BILLS

Previous rank: No. 23 

Tim Graham of The Athletic wrote a great piece last week on Josh Allen's incredible arm strength and how Bills receivers manage to survive practice with their digits intact. For some perspective, NFL scouting service OurLads has Allen throwing the fastest ball since they started tracking the data each year at the NFL Scouting Combine in 2008 -- 62 miles per hour! Of course, it takes more than a howitzer to succeed in the NFL. Allen must master the art of touch. But in general, it feels like his fascinating skill set flies under the radar a bit. The quarterback who can throw the ball harder and further than anyone also led his team in rushing last year. The Bills are such a fun wild card to track this season, and Allen is the biggest reason why.

RANK

49ers-logo.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Previous rank: No. 24 

Niners fans nearly tipped over their Chardonnay with the deep exhale that followed San Francisco's third preseason game. Jimmy Garoppolo successfully put his miserable performanceagainst the Broncos behind him, looking sharp and moving well on his surgically repaired kneeagainst the Chiefs. Unfortunately, not everyone was invited to the Happy Knee Party. Running backJerick McKinnon, signed last year to be a Swiss Army Knife-style attack piece in Kyle Shanahan's offense, is headed back to injured reserve after another setback with his surgically repaired knee. McKinnon's Niners tenure has been one extended bummer, but the team has a sneaky Making The Leap candidate in third-year man Matt Breida. Don't be surprised to see Breida finish in the top 10 in all-purpose yardage this season.

RANK

raiders-logo.jpg

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Previous rank: No. 25 

As the official "Hard Knocks" recap guy for NFL.com (hold for applause), I've spent the last four weeks fascinated by Derek Carr and his place on this Raiders team. But if you hoped to learn more about the relationship between Carr and head coach Jon Gruden through premium cable, the show has created more questions than answers. Carr certainly seems like a nice guy -- potentially a really nice guy -- but is that what Gruden is looking for in his quarterback? Oh, who am I kidding? Carr could be a terrible guy and Gruden would be fine with it if the quarterback could recapture his 2016 magic. And that's where the intrigue comes in: Carr has both his health and some playmakers to work with in 2019, including that Antonio Brown guy. Carr and Gruden might not be a personality match, but that won't matter if Carr slings it this year.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

ANd three years ago has nothing to do with today.

Darnold wasnt on the team, Bell etc.  Bowles was our HC with KC and whoever as DC & OC. 

Three years is a lifetime ago in football

Well, what exactly are you looking for? Praise for the new names? 

Let's earn said respect on the field of play. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Well, what exactly are you looking for? Praise for the new names? 

Let's earn said respect on the field of play. 

No, I'm looking for people who understand this isnt the 2016, 2017 or 2018 Jets.  Same goes for the Bills and Fins.  

I thought you were saying in defense of PFF.  There really isnt a defense for bringing in 2016 etc, completely lazy in every way, thats all 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, I'm looking for people who understand this isnt the 2016, 2017 or 2018 Jets.  Same goes for the Bills and Fins.  

I thought you were saying in defense of PFF.  There really isnt a defense for bringing in 2016 etc, completely lazy in every way, thats all 

Dude. We were dead last in our division 3 straight years. Looking up at the Dolphins and Bills ... couldn't even scratch the Patriots anchor.  

For that reason alone, it's well within the right for anyone to rank us anywhere they feel like, including 32.  

I'm pumped because I believe better days are here - but our team needs to show it in the win column, absolutely nowhere else.   

They have MIA above the last 3 slots.  Even Dolphin fans would laugh at that this year.  You could debate the rest of the bottom-5, probably with WAS, CIN, NYG in the mix, but MIA has a deathlock on 32 on almost every list out there.  PFF put them at 24.  That pretty much tells you where to file this offering.

• Upvote 1

You know what, the last several HC's we have had surprised the first year and then sh*t the bed shortly after. I think we have a lot of flaws, and some things to look forward to if. This year doesn't matter for anything else other than development of Sam, and figuring out if Gase is a good HC. If those two things happen its a good season. Hopefully we have a GM who can bring in some talent, and next year we can really start thinking playoffs and beyond.

9 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Dude. We were dead last in our division 3 straight years. Looking up at the Dolphins and Bills ... couldn't even scratch the Patriots anchor.  

For that reason alone, it's well within the right for anyone to rank us anywhere they feel like, including 32.  

I'm pumped because I believe better days are here - but our team needs to show it in the win column, absolutely nowhere else.   

I dont get what the point is.  Fits playing QB?  Gailey calling plays?  KC running the D?  Bowles calling TO's?

Are the Bills the playoff Bills, one in 19 years, Bills?  Are the Dolphins not tanking?  

Its a totally different team, I get where we were.  Just that team doesnt exist any more than the Bills and Phins from a few seasons ago dont.  

So no, we dont deserve 31 just because of where we've been, thats pure laziness at work.  

Not getting how hard this sounds

Some will agree or disagree. The Jets ultimately will either win or lose their games. 

It would be great to win the division, as I dont think we've done so this century off the top of my head. 

I would really, really (REALLY) like to see Sam provide a warm goodbye for Brady during his last season with a sweep of the Pats. 

That would be a great consolation prize for not making the superbowl this year. 

As for the rankings, I dont think we'll be 31 by the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Some will agree or disagree. The Jets ultimately will either win or lose their games. 

It would be great to win the division, as I dont think we've done so this century off the top of my head. 

I would really, really (REALLY) like to see Sam provide a warm goodbye for Brady during his last season with a sweep of the Pats. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/29/sports/football/jets-clinch-afc-east-title.html

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It would be great to win the division, as I dont think we've done so this century off the top of my head

Going back this far kinda makes the case on why it's not in rememberance.