NYallDay

Antonio brown helmet issue \ GM fight \ suspension \ RELEASED: MERGED

Without having read 10 pages on this, has the head trauma’d Raider fan checked in yet to tell us how “actually, this is good”?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Meanwhile back in Pittsburgh, they start every practice with a prayer thanking the Raiders for taking this loser off their hands.😎

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Without having read 10 pages on this, has the head trauma’d Raider fan checked in yet to tell us how “actually, this is good”?

Hell no EY. AP broke him like my fat  ass on a rickety chair! 

18 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Even I can't defend this.   This is an embarrassment .    I will hold off saying anymore till I calm down.  

18 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yes you can. Its just new. Tomorrow is another day. 

17 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Good call

17 hours ago, peebag said:

I honestly feel sorry for your team.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hell no EY. AP broke him like my fat  ass on a rickety chair! 

It didn't break him. He'll be back stronger than ever in a couple days. 

We'll find out soon why this was actually a genius move that will have Beverly hills back in the Super Bowl. 

This is actually a new dimension added to the chess board. It'll take a little time to fabricate the specifics on this one. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Isn't those other situations a matter of teams [those that choose to let things go, even if it's the predominance of cases] not exercising their rights? Just because they don't exercise their rights in the contract doesn't therefore mean no one else has the right to exercise them in the future. Or I don't know, maybe it does, if that same team - or arguably the same league - has allowed/overlooked bad behavior with such frequency that the player has a legitimate case that he shouldn't have felt his own behavior seriously risked his roster spot (and in turn, all that money). As you bring up, AB's exhibits A and B are Incognito and Burfict that they're willing to sign on for players with outside-the-norm levels of antisocial (or technically, even criminal) behavior. 

However seriously we may or may not take it - writing something off as temporary, testosterone-induced, on-field version of beer muscles - he did threaten the team's GM with bodily harm. It's also true that as soon as someone jawing hard feels one or more others stepping in to restrain him, that ups the Hold me back, Charlie theatrics because he knows no one's going to let him loose. In other words, Mayock wasn't seriously at risk of bodily harm from Brown. 

Even still, I don't know that all this means the contract terms (posted earlier) that Brown signed don't actually apply. It doesn't say any of these things have to be caused by even more overt examples than he's displayed. It just says that he has to display them at all. Also the difference between this example and other NFLers before him is that they didn't all have a huge bonus due if they make the roster -- more often they are already on the roster, and if they weren't cut/suspended it's because the team wanted to keep the player, which makes the situation different from this one. 

I get your idea. Did he violate the contract? Yes, but you (and Brown's representation) would suggest he didn't violate it commensurate with what is in effect a $30MM fine. Still, I'm finding the main reasons I'm sympathetic to Brown are two-fold: f*** Mike Mayock and his smug, punchable face, and f*** the Raiders. :) 

It doesn't really matter to us if the Raiders can recover their guaranteed money. All that matters is if Mayock believes he can. 

If they cut AB then the best case scenario is for a prolonged court battle resulting in a 30mil cap hit for a retired player. 90210 will still tell us how this is actually a good thing. 

I wonder if Xenith can recover their money if AB doesn't actually get to wear the new helmet in a game.

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

This guy is going to off himself. 

Hope he doesn’t take out any women and children. 

What an a**hole.  

This was my immediate take too. But I'm reminded how our country still continues to stigmatize mental illness.

He could be seriously mentally ill or suffering from CTE, and we're all just calling him a spoiled dick.

11 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

This was my immediate take too. But I'm reminded how our country still continues to stigmatize mental illness.

He could be seriously mentally ill or suffering from CTE, and we're all just calling him a spoiled dick.

I think that’s fair. He may in fact have a mental illness or CTE that’s causing him to act that way. 

I was just assuming he didn’t have a mental illness and was being a supreme diva. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It didn't break him. He'll be back stronger than ever in a couple days. 

We'll find out soon why this was actually a genius move that will have Beverly hills back in the Super Bowl. 

This is actually a new dimension added to the chess board. It'll take a little time to fabricate the specifics on this one. 

Maybe. But for now him and the other Raider fans homer elite are quietly holding a vigil for David Carr’s NFL MVP run. If only!

If my kid was getting in trouble, coming home late, missing homework assignments at school, etc. he would be disciplined just like AB was.   If he then went on social media and complained about being disciplined then he would be in even more trouble.  If he then came back to me and yelled at me, called me a “cracker” like Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock, that kid’s ass wouldn’t see daylight for a month.

Let’s remember what happened here. Poor behavior initiated by Antonio Brown, discipline by the Raiders per his contract and the CBA, player then complaining on social media about the discipline, the player then furthermore initiates an argument at practice using disparaging language against the disciplinarian. How anybody thinks Brown was in the right here is beyond my comprehension! 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Is there any actual reason to think that Brown is mentally ill? What's stigmatizing is throwing it out there apropos of nothing when somebody is simply acting like a dick.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If my kid was getting in trouble, coming home late, missing homework assignments at school, etc. he would be disciplined just like AB was.   If he then went on social media and complained about being disciplined then he would be in even more trouble.  If he then came back to me and yelled at me, called me a “cracker” like Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock, that kid’s ass wouldn’t see daylight for a month.

Let’s remember what happened here. Poor behavior initiated by Antonio Brown, discipline by the Raiders per his contract and the CBA, player then complaining on social media about the discipline, the player then furthermore initiates an argument at practice using disparaging language against the disciplinarian. How anybody thinks Brown was in the right here is beyond my comprehension! 

What if your kid had brain damage?  Would that change how you dealt with his behavioral issues?

We have no idea if Brown does, but he definitely seems like a lunatic.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If I'm the Raiders/Mayock the words and idiotic comments from Brown go in one ear and out the other. They knew he was a bit crazy. Just outright skipping practices/no call-no show- puts them in a spot where they have to move on. I mean that's the deal- the teams pays you to show up and play football. Curse, kick, scream, just show up. Or construct a contract that doesnt require you to practice. 

Honestly, what were the raiders thinking?

They bring in a rookie GM, who has never managed anything or anyone before, and then you bring in a player with huge issues (that I’m sure were at least somewhat known around the league) and expect everything to go smoothly.  

The job of GM is to manage the team and coaches, to manage people.  What experience does Mayock have doing that?  Just from watching him on tv (and I liked him on TV) its pretty obvious that Mayock has limited people skills, and comes off as a jerk sometimes.  

I don’t blame him, that is who he is, I blame the organization as a whole for thinking this would work out.  

And don’t get me wrong, AB is an idiot and brought this on himself, I don’t feel sorry for him at all.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What if your kid had brain damage?  Would that change how you dealt with his behavioral issues?

We have no idea if Brown does, but he definitely seems like a lunatic.  

Of course.  But somebody, anybody close to AB needs to step up and step in!  His wife, his friends, his agent Drew Rosenhaus, etc....step in.  Get the guy some help.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

He will be fresh the 2nd half of the season.  Sheesh you people cannot see the light from the shade.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

I.E. AB knows he has zero leverage at this stage and likes money too much to risk it.  

@Raideraholic it might be safe to come out now, this ordeal might just be over with a 1 Quarter or 1 game suspension.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a "Cracker"!! 

This is Crazy and goes way way over the line!!

That is offensive on so many levels I wish I could ban AB Myself!!! :( 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If I'm the Raiders/Mayock the words and idiotic comments from Brown go in one ear and out the other. They knew he was a bit crazy. Just outright skipping practices/no call-no show- puts them in a spot where they have to move on. I mean that's the deal- the teams pays you to show up and play football. Curse, kick, scream, just show up. Or construct a contract that doesnt require you to practice. 

Lmaoo You still think mayock has power or a say.. 

This what 10 years a 100 mill get you . Power over all football operations .. now wait to hear fines have been rescinded.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It doesn't really matter to us if the Raiders can recover their guaranteed money. All that matters is if Mayock believes he can. 

If they cut AB then the best case scenario is for a prolonged court battle resulting in a 30mil cap hit for a retired player. 90210 will still tell us how this is actually a good thing. 

I wonder if Xenith can recover their money if AB doesn't actually get to wear the new helmet in a game.

From what I have heard they can cut him before Sunday and not pay him a dime.  He hasn't received any money from them yet.  I don't see how if they void the contract before the year and before they pay him it could effect the salary cap.  if he is on the roster sunday, his ~$15MM is guaranteed because of the CBA and his veteran status.

50 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Except this was not your kid...and I find it interesting that while what Brown said to Mayock is being reported widely, nothing of what Mayock has said to Brown is being reported...why is that? They weren't standing next to each other; Mayock didn't whisper it in Brown's ear yet no one seems to have heard a thing. Because other players like getting NFL checks and reporters like having insider access. This was not out of the blue; they were going back and forth until Mayock said something no one seems to recall and AB exploded. That's the story but there are no reports of what Mayock was saying back. Last year in PIT no one made BR use his radio show to call out teammates with criticisms he would not make behind closed locker room doors and no one made the PIT  .org leadership to let it continue until it spilled out and they could no longer control it.

It doesn't help that prior to becoming the Raider GM, Mayock was riding hard for Ben Roethlisberger and blaming everything wrong in PIT on AB and Le'veon Bell...because that's what BR claimed.  Le'veon Bell is still salty about that too...but he is going to take it out on Jets opponents but don't get it twisted...

There are no white hats here; Mayock is an NFL GM, not an analyst on NFL Network but he has handled this like the latter and not the former where he can't say what he wants when he wants about players. Neither one has been professional in their respective demeanor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Lmaoo You still think mayock has power or a say.. 

This what 10 years a 100 mill get you . Power over all football operations ..

Embarrassing franchise if so. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He doesn't like him.

Oh, thanks for clarifying it. lol

• Haha 1

Mayock should quit.  Gruden just cut his balls out from under him.

• Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'll enjoy it that much more if they can't recover it.

As I wrote above I do think Mayock has some legs to stand on. The frozen feet stuff is iffy, because it'd be hard to prove that the behavior caused the team to be worse in any way (it's not like any practices he missed as a result of injury were mid-season ones where they're prepping for games).

Brown's problem here is the (non-injury-related) practice-skipping and unexcused absence over his helmet stuff, and the physically threatening the team's GM with bodily harm, are all grounds for a temporary team suspension. It just so happens that in this case, because of the timing of his stupidity prior to getting paid, such a suspension would then be grounds for making guaranteed money no longer guaranteed. More like a domino effect than what's ultimately ends up as a $30MM fine. That is, unless the NFLPA wants to assert that physically threatening and charging after the GM is not grounds for any team-imposed suspension.

I think he's in a better position than Brown is right now, but it's no slam dunk.