Kaare Vedvik has never kicked at MetLife a practice attempt was foiled

joewilly12

How Jets got screwed by USMNT-Mexico soccer match at MetLife Stadium

Updated 3:55 PM; Today 3:41 PM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Kaare Vedvik has never kicked at MetLife Stadium.

The Jets’ new kicker will change that on Sunday, during the team’s Week 1 game against the Bills. But special teams coordinator Brant Boyer was hoping Vedvik wouldn’t have to wait until game day to finally see his new home field.

“We were going to try actually tomorrow,” Boyer said. “But they have a bunch of grass down (on the field) and stuff like that.”

That’s right: The Jets’ master plan to warm up their new kicker was spoiled by grass. Ironic, huh?

In reality, the Jets got screwed because the U.S. men’s national team has a friendly match against Mexico on Friday night in East Rutherford. That’s why the playing surface has been altered and the building is unavailable for Vedvik to get a dry run in.

So, instead, the 25-year-old – who has been with the Jets for all of six days – will simply have to rely on Sunday’s pregame warmups to prepare. Boyer said the Jets will likely have him do extra work before kickoff, just to get in as many reps as possible before 1 p.m.

It’s still not a replacement for the extra trip to MetLife Stadium, though; Boyer admits he’d feel more comfortable if Vedvik – fresh off a 1-for-4 failure with the Vikings – wasn’t seeing the field for the first time Sunday.

“It is the same turf, but you get to test the winds a little bit and things like that because it swirls a little bit in some areas," Boyer said. "I think it’s always good to get in there if you can.”

That said, you probably won’t see Boyer chomping on his fingernails and sweating it out on the sidelines any more than normal this weekend.

“I think you worry every week, no matter what kicker you have," Boyer said. "You don’t go in with a bunch of comfort any week. But I think you just let and roll and see how it plays out, to be honest with you. You worry more about the operation, but the operation was pretty seamless this week.”

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Boyer got Myers to the Pro Bowl. Myers was a much lower level prospect than Vedvik at this time last year.

Obviously you’re a Glass half full guy! You can’t make this stuff up...only the Jets can walk away from a Pro Bowl kicker to sign a  dog in Cantazaro who retires 1/2 way thru camp to finally signing a guy the week of the season opener but can’t get on the field to get comfortable by having a couple of days to kick ?‍♂️

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Obviously you’re a Glass half full guy! You can’t make this stuff up...only the Jets can walk away from a Pro Bowl kicker to sign a  dog in Cantazaro who retires 1/2 way thru camp to finally signing a guy the week of the season opener but can’t get on the field to get comfortable by having a couple of days to kick ?‍♂️

Jets fans on Vedvek: "we'll be fine because..."

we signed Myers and he turned out to be good....:rolleyes: (uh, yeah. but we signed Catanzaro and Bertolet also)

he'll be our next great kicker...:thumbup: (yep, all signs point in that direction")

all he has to do is kick it straight...=D> (Probably what the Vikings Gm said also)

I guess the correct answer here is, "what's the big deal?" I'm sure lots of teams sign a PK off waivers a week before the season and just hand him the job without any competition or even a try out. I mean, what could go wrong?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Sergino Dest is being featured in this US/Mexico match at Metlife and he's exactly the kind of atticking right back we need in Berhalter's system.

Sorry, Vedvik.  We don't make an impression on him with match and we could lose Dest to the Dutch.  You're sacrifice is for the greater good.

58 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

we signed Myers and he turned out to be good....:rolleyes: (uh, yeah. but we signed Catanzaro and Bertolet also)

he'll be our next great kicker...:thumbup: (yep, all signs point in that direction")

all he has to do is kick it straight...=D> (Probably what the Vikings Gm said also)

I guess the correct answer here is, "what's the big deal?" I'm sure lots of teams sign a PK off waivers a week before the season and just hand him the job without any competition or even a try out. I mean, what could go wrong?

Catanzoro was a dog when we got him in 2017 and he kicked at over 83% on Ks and 100% of his XPts that year

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Catanzoro was a dog when we got him in 2017 and he kicked at over 83% on Ks and 100% of his XPts that year

Yes, and then Myers did well last year also. Neither one has the slightest thing to do with how Vedvek will do lthis year.

If it did, all any team would have to do is sign a different PK every season, and they would all do well.

I actually have a good feeling about Vedvek. He was highly thought of before he went to the Vikings and got cut. All it is is a feeling though. The Jets never held a competition for this job, they just brought in one guy at a time. The first two failed, so the best we can hope for now is that the third time is the charm.

This could have been handled better, by the Jets. Hopefully they get lucky here, and it works out well.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes, and then Myers did well last year also. Neither one has the slightest thing to do with how Vedvek will do lthis year.

If it did, all any team would have to do is sign a different PK every season, and they would all do well.

I actually have a good feeling about Vedvek. He was highly thought of before he went to the Vikings and got cut. All it is is a feeling though. The Jets never held a competition for this job, they just brought in one guy at a time. The first two failed, so the best we can hope for now is that the third time is the charm.

This could have been handled better, by the Jets. Hopefully it works out well.

That wasnt the point, wasnt complaining about either kicker like some. 

The point was that we had him and he kicked well for us, so signing him wasnt as stupid as some have made it to be

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This could have been handled better, by the Jets. Hopefully they get lucky here, and it works out well.

Boyer

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How Jets got screwed by USMNT-Mexico soccer match at MetLife Stadium

Updated 3:55 PM; Today 3:41 PM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Kaare Vedvik has never kicked at MetLife Stadium.

The Jets’ new kicker will change that on Sunday, during the team’s Week 1 game against the Bills. But special teams coordinator Brant Boyer was hoping Vedvik wouldn’t have to wait until game day to finally see his new home field.

“We were going to try actually tomorrow,” Boyer said. “But they have a bunch of grass down (on the field) and stuff like that.”

That’s right: The Jets’ master plan to warm up their new kicker was spoiled by grass. Ironic, huh?

In reality, the Jets got screwed because the U.S. men’s national team has a friendly match against Mexico on Friday night in East Rutherford. That’s why the playing surface has been altered and the building is unavailable for Vedvik to get a dry run in.

So, instead, the 25-year-old – who has been with the Jets for all of six days – will simply have to rely on Sunday’s pregame warmups to prepare. Boyer said the Jets will likely have him do extra work before kickoff, just to get in as many reps as possible before 1 p.m.

It’s still not a replacement for the extra trip to MetLife Stadium, though; Boyer admits he’d feel more comfortable if Vedvik – fresh off a 1-for-4 failure with the Vikings – wasn’t seeing the field for the first time Sunday.

“It is the same turf, but you get to test the winds a little bit and things like that because it swirls a little bit in some areas," Boyer said. "I think it’s always good to get in there if you can.”

That said, you probably won’t see Boyer chomping on his fingernails and sweating it out on the sidelines any more than normal this weekend.

“I think you worry every week, no matter what kicker you have," Boyer said. "You don’t go in with a bunch of comfort any week. But I think you just let and roll and see how it plays out, to be honest with you. You worry more about the operation, but the operation was pretty seamless this week.”

Good thing we have our own "Home Field".....lol

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

C589-DA30-7-AF3-4989-B655-BD11-A06-CBDDA

#6 according to the Jets Shop custom jersey selector. 

Might be an issue in 2020 when Mark Sanchez is enshrined in the Ring Of Honor.  We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

SAR I

I thought # 6 was retired in Sanchezs honor?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because if we owned the stadium on our own we would have told the soccer teams to take a hike.  LOL

Do you think the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Bears, Broncos, Chiefs, Colts, Seahawks, or any other team with full control of their stadium would schedule or  allow another event or game that could cause disruption to the playing surface take place on their field 2 days before a game (Home Opener)? Really? Seriously?

LOL. Bro. 

• Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Do you think the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Bears, Broncos, Chiefs, Colts, Seahawks, or any other team with full control of their stadium would schedule or  allow another event or game that could cause disruption to the playing surface take place on their field 2 days before a game (Home Opener)? Really? Seriously?

LOL. Bro. 

100% yes I do.

These things are booked months earlier, a year earlier.  You think anyone said, maybe the Jets or Giants might sign a K one week befoe the start of the season and would want to use the stadium one afternoon?  Theres no disruption to the field, theyve done this before in season

Seriously, if you think they wouldnt youre trying too hard. 

And of course forgetting the Jets own the place, this game wasnt scheduled without them knowing or being OK with it.  As if the Jets dont have full control over the use of the stadium.  Its not owned by the state or the Giants, know most forget.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The next time anyone shouts "we need our own stadium!" this is exactly the reason why we don't.

The reason that a soccer friendly is being played two days before an NFL game is because in order to make some revenue on the 345 days a year MetLife Stadium is empty, the Jets and Giants need to make concessions like this.  If you added another 80,000 seats to the already-overcrowded NYC area, teams like the Jets and Giants would be even more desperate and make even more bad decisions.

SAR I

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Two weeks ago this guy was the hottest kicker available where teams were willing to trade for him, he goes 1 for 4 with the Vikings and now he suposedly sucks. While I certainly don't consider him a sure bet, he is no bigger long shot than Myers was last year when the Jets claimed in the last week of preseason. Myers had just been cut by Seattle. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because if we owned the stadium on our own we would have told the soccer teams to take a hike.  LOL

This soccer game made the Jets and  Giants a pile of $ on an otherwise dead night. EVen if the Jets owned it, you need to make money with exactly these kinds of events. An empty stadium is not good for business, and reality is it's empty a great deal. 

The guy has kicked on a FieldTurf football field before.Jets' ST coach knows all about the wind, etc. This is not a big deal. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The next time anyone shouts "we need our own stadium!" this is exactly the reason why we don't.

The reason that a soccer friendly is being played two days before an NFL game is because in order to make some revenue on the 345 days a year MetLife Stadium is empty, the Jets and Giants need to make concessions like this.  If you added another 80,000 seats to the already-overcrowded NYC area, teams like the Jets and Giants would be even more desperate and make even more bad decisions.

SAR I

I have no problem with events at the stadium, but look at how other venues are managed. Not one of the other major NFL team controlled facilities have an event that alters the playing surface within a week of their home opener, never mind within 48 hours prior. I dont get the decision to allow a "soccer friendly" to change the surface so close to a game. Play on the field turf or dont schedule the match 2 days before a home opener. The end zone looked like sh*t during preseason,  and now the field isn't accessible to the team days prior to the opener? LOL. $1.4B and they can't figure out the basics of facilities management. 

This was poor management and planning. Probably a decision made under Neil Glat.  

• WTF? 1