***OFFICIAL TNF NFL OPENER THREAD****

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

What the hell is with the hurry-up?  Are they trying to give GB extra time in regulation if they actually score here?

Or do they just have so little confidence in their own offense, that they're just assuming they'll need to get the ball another time in regulation?

So yeah... I guess the second one.

One word: Trubisky.

They were trying to make Trubisky into something he's not - an NFL quarterback. He's a threat to run or option guy. He's not a pocket passer but they trying to make him a pocket passer. He sukks but he can be effective at times if you let him do what he does best - run.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nixhead said:

They were trying to make Trubisky into something he's not - an NFL quarterback. He's a threat to run or option guy. He's not a pocket passer but they trying to make him a pocket passer. He sukks but he can be effective at times if you let him do what he does best - run.

Bears...limited passer with some scrambling potential...ferocious defense.  Hmm....I think this is a remake of a movie I saw about 33 years ago.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Bears...limited passer with some scrambling potential...ferocious defense.  Hmm....I think this is a remake of a movie I saw about 33 years ago.

Not even close. That old Bears team had a HOF RB and McMahon leading it and could still score points. To this day I can't understand how Miami won that one game because that was easily the best team I've ever seen take the field.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

Not even close. That old Bears team had a HOF RB and McMahon leading it and could still score points. To this day I can't understand how Miami won that one game because that was easily the best team I've ever seen take the field.

I think you may be slightly mis-remembering McMahon's passing contribution.  He was 20th in the league in passing yards and 18th in TDs in '85.  In the 3 playoff games he threw a total of 3 TDs but scored 3 more rushing.  The defense also scored 3 TDs in that span.  Which was more points than they gave up.  I had to look it up to be sure, but they shut out the Giants and Rams before giving up 7 garbage time points to go with an early FG to the Pats in a 46-10 blowout.  So in 3 games the defense outscored the opposing offense by 21-10, and if you add the one punt return for a TD, well...then it gets even more lopsided.

Payton and McMahon were fine, but that year was all about the defense.  This year's Bears team will live or die by their defense as well only it isn't nearly as good as that '85 one.  And clearly their offense isn't either.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Agree with you, it's the best team I've seen also.

But I also remember that for two or three weeks in advance of it, a lot of fans felt that was the one game the Bears wouldn't win that year. I know I felt that way, I bet Miami.

It was a perfect storm for an upset. Dolphins at home on national tv, Monday night. Crowd in a frenzy. Shula the HC of the only undefeated team ever, defending that record against the first serious challenge to it. Marino, still in his prime, with an excellent offense around him.

Probably one of the top 5 most memorable Monday Night games ever. Definitely one of the most hyped.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

We're visiting my wife's parents right now deep in enemy (masshole) territory and my wife and infant son went to sleep. So naturally, I decided to venture out to my first ever solo sports bar experience to catch the NFL opener.

Brought my Macbook and iPhone, sitting outdoors watching the game. Gotta say, this is amazing. I can't believe I've missed out on this my whole life. 

Granted we're less than 3 quarters in, but Matt's offense is nowhere near the run-oriented offense we were sold (my Aaron Jones pick be damned).

But really, I'm having more fun listening to the absolute brain-dead stupidity behind me by pats fans. 

Seriously, massholes never cease to remind me of just how illiterate they are to the Patriots other than Brady Gronk Edelman, how ambivalent they are to all of the moral/ethical/sportsman shortcomings of the pats franchise over the years, and simply how ignorant they are to the game of football in general. 

There are many Inbred people in the New England area.  Not trying to make a joke, it's just an observation, therefore your observations are totally understandable

1 hour ago, RobR said:

That Bears defense looked great, it's too bad they have no QB. Trubisky looked awful on so many levels.

They are the 2010 Jets.

That’s what it looks like when you have Sanchez, a couple decent playmakers and a great D.

Good luck Chicago, you’ll be “almost good enough” for 2 more years.  Then you’ll have to reboot.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I think you're giving Trubisky too much credit. He's not average. He looks like Mark Sanchez. 

Totally agree.

And the worst part is they have to ride with the guy until the bitter bitter end, because of all the draft capital they surrendered and the subsequent way overrated hype.

Going to waste a great talent in Mack along with an excellent Defense.  There will be as many pictures of Mitch, excuse me Mitchell, Trubisky holding a SB Trophy as Andy Dalton (who he actually kind of reminds me of) and of course Mark Sanchez (at least the Jets didn't blow 1/100th the draft capital on Sanchez that was blown on Trubisky, but unfortunately wasted time)                                                               

39 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

That had to be one of the worst football games that I’ve watched in a long time. 

I guess that’s what you should expect when teams  don’t value the importance ( in a preparation standpoint) of the pre season anymore.

no team seemed ready.

I didnt watch 1st half, turned it off beginning of 4th QTR. Between the penalties, slow play, lack of action.  The NFL is becoming a shell of itself. Fans in Chicago must be pissed.  3 points? Opening day?   Makes the Jets look like a well run organization.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Heard behind me on the last delay of game on Trubisky:

”really, they’re gonna call that? They generally give you a second”

No Masshole. They generally give brady*s cheating ass the extra second. Not the rest of the league.

seriously, can’t make this up.

Perfect. 

The New England fan’s version of football. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RobR said:

That Bears defense looked great, it's too bad they have no QB. Trubisky looked awful on so many levels.

Trubisky actually looks like he's regressed from last year with that "deer in the headlights" look on his face the whole game. It's going to be a long year for the Bears.......

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

How he made the pro bowl is beyond me. He looks like a backup. 

In fairness, few if any teams have their sh*t together the first 3-4 weeks. It’s been like this since the CBA cut down the amount of practice and contact in the summer. Real games are often the first time teams are knocking of rust. 

• Upvote 2