Jump to content
BROOKLYN JET

***OFFICIAL TNF NFL OPENER THREAD****

Recommended Posts

A couple of things:

- Trubisky had a solid 2018 and definitely took a step forward.  But when
watching him I never saw a franchise QB, I saw someone like Sanchez.  A QB
who could win games if everything around him was solid (OLine, running game
& defense).  I never felt like he could carry a team

- With that being said how stupid was it for CHI not to play him in the 
pre-season.  Any QB below 5-6 years in the league should be getting every
rep they can

- Trubisky seems to be a "one read wonder".  If his first receiver is open
he's fine but after that he seems confused and is ready to run

- Shocked at both offenses in terms of how slow they got their play calls 
in.  How many delay of games did we see?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Football is losing the younger crowd as most don't play the game. The town I live in went from 4 pop-warner teams to 1 flag football team, kids who wanted to play had to go to neighboring towns. 

 

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

Nonsense- most people have never played football, 

Whats nonsense?  

Parents are definitely to blame in all this as well for steering children away from organized football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, KRL said:

A couple of things:

- Trubisky had a solid 2018 and definitely took a step forward.  But when
watching him I never saw a franchise QB, I saw someone like Sanchez.  A QB
who could win games if everything around him was solid (OLine, running game
& defense).  I never felt like he could carry a team

- With that being said how stupid was it for CHI not to play him in the 
pre-season.  Any QB below 5-6 years in the league should be getting every
rep they can

- Trubisky seems to be a "one read wonder".  If his first receiver is open
he's fine but after that he seems confused and is ready to run

- Shocked at both offenses in terms of how slow they got their play calls 
in.  How many delay of games did we see?

My takeaway. 

-NFL is a ******* joke when we can't hit in practice.

-Not hitting in practice and not playing preseason=retarded. 

-I take nothing from this game except the NFL sucks now, cause Rodgers looked like sh*t also..... Who thought lets give him his first live action against the Bears D?

-The problem is us. The product sucks early every year now cause this is a league of ******* pussys and puffs. They know they get us the first few weeks anyway before it gets fixed

*I been talking sh*t about Montgomery being good. I'm not caring much about this game. It's the fact I'm explaining how these first few games don't ******* matter cause it's a clown show. They only have 16 games. These league is a ******* joke.

 

Get me a beer when I sober up 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Weird how parents want to protect the developing melons atop their children's necks.

Im not disagreeing. 

We are discussing why the younger generation has no interest in football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And you blamed parents.

Parents probably never played the game themselves and then they steer kids away from football. 

Ive seen it in my own town. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

 

Whats nonsense?  

Parents are definitely to blame in all this as well for steering children away from organized football. 

The talent pool has never been deeper. Look at the success of young QBs in recent years. 

99% of fans have never played organized football. 

The average age of an MLB spectator is 60 but yea, because your goofy kid and his friends rather watch baseball it’s indicative of a global trend. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Parents probably never played the game themselves and then they steer kids away from football. 

Ive seen it in my own town. 

 

Or they read medical science, and decide that football may not be in the best interests of their child.

I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with that choice. It is personal.

For you to use the word "blame" regarding that decision seems reckless. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Or they read medical science, and decide that football may not be in the best interests of their child.

I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with that choice. It is personal.

For you to use the word "blame" regarding that decision seems reckless. 

 

Drinking from a garden hose is said to be bad as well. Its up to the parents if they allow children to participate in any contact sport. 

Not my decision. 

Blame might not have been the proper word to use maybe shelter would have been better. 

Ive seen children in my neighborhood kept under wraps entire youth years and once turned 18 went wild climbing mountains, sky-diving,racing motorcycles you name it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Drinking from a garden hose is said to be bad as well. Its up to the parents if they allow children to participate in any contact sport. 

Not my decision. 

Blame might not have been the proper word to use maybe shelter would have been better. 

Ive seen children in my neighborhood kept under wraps entire youth years and once turned 18 went wild climbing mountains, sky-diving,racing motorcycles you name it. 

I will slink away from this conversation and pretend like it never happened. That is probably the best course in the name of rational thought at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will slink away from this conversation and pretend like it never happened. That is probably the best course in the name of rational thought at this point.

Opinions..............GO JETS that w can agree on. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Weird how parents want to protect the developing melons atop their children's necks.

I want to protect my child's melon.  When he hit 14 months and started climbing the couch, the chairs, on the tables and jumping off, I started wondering if maybe it wasn't football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole disregarding preseason entirely thing isnt good for the league. Trubisky threw zero passes in August? Idiotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

My takeaway. 

-NFL is a ******* joke when we can't hit in practice.

-Not hitting in practice and not playing preseason=retarded. 

-I take nothing from this game except the NFL sucks now, cause Rodgers looked like sh*t also..... Who thought lets give him his first live action against the Bears D?

-The problem is us. The product sucks early every year now cause this is a league of ******* pussys and puffs. They know they get us the first few weeks anyway before it gets fixed

*I been talking sh*t about Montgomery being good. I'm not caring much about this game. It's the fact I'm explaining how these first few games don't ******* matter cause it's a clown show. They only have 16 games. These league is a ******* joke.

 

Get me a beer when I sober up 

Eliminating practice was a short sighted move by the league office in an effort to secure more money. Raise the cap in the new CBA and allow the coaches to run real practices again. The league should dig in on that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Eliminating practice was a short sighted move by the league office in an effort to secure more money. Raise the cap in the new CBA and allow the coaches to run real practices again. The league should dig in on that.

It was a compromise that the owners gave in to as a balance to not have to give more money. They probably also are using it as a stepping stone to again promoting that disaster of an idea of an 18 game schedule.

They are playing with fire. The end result is the competitive nature of the actual games being damned.  Both sides will haggle over money, safety, roster size and maybe only then discuss competitive balance and game perception.

The thing that they have going for them is gambling and fantasy leagues. The fervor over being able to wager or proclaim team building prowess will always be the soft underbelly that both sides make their livelihood. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It was a compromise that the owners gave in to as a balance to not have to give more money. They probably also are using it as a stepping stone to again promoting that disaster of an idea of an 18 game schedule.

They are playing with fire. The end result is the competitive nature of the actual games being damned.  Both sides will haggle over money, safety, roster size and maybe only then discuss competitive balance and game perception.

The thing that they have going for them is gambling and fantasy leagues. The fervor over being able to wager or proclaim team building prowess will always be the soft underbelly that both sides make their livelihood. 

 

Once you give guys more time off, the money becomes less and less important. Guys prefer the free time and less practice over an extra million. At least the guys at the top running the NFLPA. Football practice generally sucks, but its necessary. At all levels. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I love defensive football.  But it's good to throw a little offensive, umm, in there sometimes.

A play or 2 when there are no penalty flags, that would also be very cool. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Eliminating practice was a short sighted move by the league office in an effort to secure more money. Raise the cap in the new CBA and allow the coaches to run real practices again. The league should dig in on that.

There are some idiot coaches who grind players down to a nub in practice. Full contact practices too often are how players get hurt. That was the idea of these limits.  But saw a slew of college games last few weeks, and the NCAA restrictions are even tighter. Yet those offenses were not as out of sync as last night, and way fewer penalties. Those were 2 good defenses, but that was an awful game to watch. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Weird how parents want to protect the developing melons atop their children's necks.

Actually football is safer for children all the way up through JV because of all the protection. When kids get into high school, injury becomes a concern and then when you have elite athletes colliding at full speed with each other in college and the pros it becomes pretty hazardous. But Pop Warner is actually much safer than soccer for young children.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Eliminating practice was a short sighted move by the league office in an effort to secure more money. Raise the cap in the new CBA and allow the coaches to run real practices again. The league should dig in on that.

Actually if I remember right it was our own Kevin Mawae that led the charge for less practicing, which really needs to revert back but wont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Did these guys practice? It looks like a preseason game. 

Weeks 1-2 or 1-3 are just an extension of the preseason in today's NFL.  Can't glean much from it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think you may be slightly mis-remembering McMahon's passing contribution.  He was 20th in the league in passing yards and 18th in TDs in '85.

 

Why throw when you can hand it off to, arguably, the GOAT Running Back and rely on your all-time GOAT defense?  Middle of the pack is just fine productivity out of your QB when you have those 2 factors.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Actually football is safer for children all the way up through JV because of all the protection. When kids get into high school, injury becomes a concern and then when you have elite athletes colliding at full speed with each other in college and the pros it becomes pretty hazardous. But Pop Warner is actually much safer than soccer for young children.

I have heard differently from high school coaches that I have talked to (a total of 4).

Unanimously, they wish that there would not be any contact football taught until they get the athletes in high school. The problem is that there are so meaning uninformed, but well meaning, people coaching young football players the wrong way. Ways that will get them hurt, and in a manner that often is difficult to unteach.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Trubisky is Tebow with a more traditional throwing motion 

Was saying that before he got drafted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Trubisky is Tebow with a more traditional throwing motion 

Tebow wishes he was as good as Trubisky. Trubisky is inconsistent as hell but he’s not as bad as last night. He needed to play in the preseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bugg said:

There are some idiot coaches who grind players down to a nub in practice. Full contact practices too often are how players get hurt. That was the idea of these limits.  But saw a slew of college games last few weeks, and the NCAA restrictions are even tighter. Yet those offenses were not as out of sync as last night, and way fewer penalties. Those were 2 good defenses, but that was an awful game to watch. 

Agree on the idiot coaches who dont know better. There's a happy medium though, and the longer the NFL continues to deemphasize practice, the tougher it's going to be to get guys to care. This whole Antonio Brown ordeal boils down to him not wanting to practice. Trumaine Johnson just doesnt want to practice. Beckham etc. It's a pain in the neck for coaches trying to preach team and all that other stuff that's required in football. It's still a team sport that unfortunately requires the players getting paid millions to practice. It's never going to be the NBA or MLB where they can go through the motions 10 months out of the year. The NFL has the leverage here too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agree w/ above, early season is often crappy product...

but in 16 game season , still has tremendous effect...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

agree w/ above, early season is often crappy product...

but in 16 game season , still has tremendous effect...

Indeed.  I'm fine to be the Packers right now.  An ugly win is still a win.  They'll figure it out as the season goes on.  Aaron Rodgers is going to have much better days ahead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jetsons said:

I'm just looking forward to more of greenwichjetfan's comments regarding the massholes.

Sorry I was 3 tallboy IPAs (7.2% abv each) in midway through the 4th quarter and instead of typing out what I was hearing, me and a couple of packers fans sitting a few tables over from me just actively started laughing or making fun of the idiot comments out loud. 

Don't worry, I’ll do another post next time I’m up here. My wife and I generally come up a few times during football season, and we have to go out for football because I can’t stand watching it at her parents place. Invariably, I get real smart with at least a couple of masshole dummies to the point where I’m trolling their stupidity and laughing about it to their faces, and they can’t do anything but get red in the face and go full aggro meathead, at which point my wife reminds me that it’s bad enough that I’m expressing my Jets fandom/pats disdain, but that we’re also very obviously not the same skin color as 99% of the people in the bar, most of whom are racist inbreds anyway, and that I need to tone it down. Then I come here, post about it, and then we leave because I’ve had my fun for the day. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Losmeister said:

agree w/ above, early season is often crappy product...

but in 16 game season , still has tremendous effect...

And if you look around at other sports (non-contact sports) its very much the same way. Baseball doesn't matter b/c there are TOO many games, hockey teams are still not in synch, basketball- too many games and mid season trades make a huge impact, etc.

I'd rather deal with early season games being bad than a bunch of star athletes getting season ending injuries in practice b/c its full contact b/c joe shmo thinks the NFL isn't 'tough enough'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Was saying that before he got drafted. 

Not a big fan of player comparisons. they just never seem to accurately depict the individual. Tebow was an Ox as a QB and really should have been a RB or LB. He was never meant for the NFL but he was just such a good athlete and such a big, strong dude that somehow he made it as long as he did. He also knew how to win. But he was never a true QB. Even in college he was an option QB who ran the ball A TON. Trubisky was much more of a traditional QB even though he also ran a lot in college. He has always had better throwing skills than Tebow. If anything I would compare Trubisky to a poor man's Mariota (less accurate). See, I hate comparisons. LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...