Quinnen not starting? Why do I care?

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Given all the heaps of praise this player received from some fans here about his talent, it IS a bit of a surprise he's not good enough (yet) to break into what is not a great D-Line as a starter.

With that said, it's literally day 1 for the kid.  He deserves time.  And we don't have a choice but to give it to him.

Hopefully he sees alot of action, even if not "starting".

Look at the whole defensive chart... the players that just arrived are at the bottom... they have to move up...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Could you imagine TJ Hockenson being benched when Herndon comes back and everybody whining about how we wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't 'starting'. LOL. 

You run a 2 tight end offense.  You split herndon out wide some of the time.  None of these tight ends would have been sitting on the bench.

Do you remember the versatility the pats had when they had gronk/hernandez?  It would have been a tremendous help to darnold and the offense.  We blew it.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I would like to see the guy start from week one and get as many snaps as possible.  Isn't this deference to veterans thing a little old-fashioned and a little Bowles-like?

what if he comes in for the 2nd snap of the game and doesn't come out the rest of the game?  Will you still be upset he didn't start?

At certain positions i.e. RB, TE, WR, D positions, who starts is meaningless as it's based on the gameplan/playcall/look. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If he’s not starting I can’t see him getting more than a play or maybe two off the bench. What a bust.

The 3rd pick of the 1st Round SHOULD start and SHOULD be a “difference-maker” right from jump street.

If this kid is “slightly better than Leonard Willians” that’s not good enough for where he was picked.

Ahhh...you know what? I won’t even get my hopes up, I’ll just assume he won’t play up to his draft status and just be happy that Maccagnan, being the worst drafter in possibly a generation, allowed the Jets to obtain a Franchise QB.....that right there trumps everything bad.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

what if he comes in for the 2nd snap of the game and doesn't come out the rest of the game?  Will you still be upset he didn't start?

At certain positions i.e. RB, TE, WR, D positions, who starts is meaningless as it's based on the gameplan/playcall/look. 

Upset is too strong a word.  Maybe I'm slightly impatient that the supposed "best player in the draft" didn't win the job from a solid 30+  journeyman.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You run a 2 tight end offense.  You split herndon out wide some of the time.  None of these tight ends would have been sitting on the bench.

Do you remember the versatility the pats had when they had gronk/hernandez?  It would have been a tremendous help to darnold and the offense.  We blew it.

That dolt Maccagnan if he hadn’t been fired from the job he never should have had in the first place was picking next year...he’d go DT in the 1st Rd again hahaha

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That's exactly my point. The fact that the guy is not 'starting' doesn't mean much. Just like QW will get a ton of snaps all over the line this season, Herndon would have played in two TE sets with Hock. 

Let’s revisit this after Sunday’s game.

We should look at the percentage of defensive snaps that each of these guys was on the field.

Was it a true rotation? Did QW not start but still end up on the field for more than 50% of the snaps?  To me, those are the important questions....snap counts for Leo, McClendon, Anderson, QW, Kaufusi, etc. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Could you imagine TJ Hockenson being benched when Herndon comes back and everybody whining about how we wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who isn't 'starting'. LOL. 

So you think Herndon > Hockenson then? :-k

For me, because I was such a "please draft Hockenson" guy, it'll be VERY interesting to see these two players (Hock and Herndon) this year.  Personally, I would have loved to have both a la the Pats days of Killer and Gronk. Lord knows that would have been good for Darnold, and our somewhat limp WR corp (IMO).  

Bell + Anderson/Enenwa + Crowder + Herndon + Hockenson.......that's a unit to be worried about in coverage IMO.  Tom Brady would win Super Bowls with that group.

But we went Defense, and Defensive Line, again instead.  Not my preference, but ok.  So I just hope Q.W. proves his worth for that pick, sooner rather than later.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It actually makes perfect sense, but is also the reason why, despite how good Quinnen looks like he'll be, the choice of selecting anyone at DT at #3 was mind-numbingly stupid.  They already have two established starters making far too much money to send either of them to the bunch to open the season, and forcing Quinnen to start at NT would just be a square peg/round hole situation as a desperate attempt to justify the pick, which no one cares about doing anymore now that Macc was finally fired far too late.

This also goes back to the point of why they should've been shopping Leonard Williams for months now, assuming of course the team feels Quinnen is good enough.  That said, I'm sure Quinnen will still get plenty of playing time regardless, but for a team with such a long list of holes all over the roster, the years of constantly focusing on the same small handful of positions results in some positions with backups more talented than your entire depth at other positions.

I get the reasoning, but its a bit shortsighted and not the way GMs approach top 5 selections. I'm not an expert. But I truly believe you look for the top available talent. Period. And if you don't believe there is ANY talent worth taking that high, you look to trade down. Of course, you need to be smart in what value you take back via trade.

QW was clearly a top 5 talent. I mean, most evaluators agreed he was a unique player and could possibly be a generational talent at DT who could dominate as both a pass rusher and a run stopper a la Aaron Donald. I mean, without getting into the details, that was the gist of it. The Jets had Leo but he was in contract year and Henry Anderson (although re-signed) had nowhere near the potential going forward that QW had. The Jets could very easily end up cutting ties with any one or more of Leo, McLendon and in a couple of years H.Anderson and QW would still only be 23-24 years old.

I get the reasoning, and if I were GM I'd probably do it a little differently,  but the bottom line is you draft the top talent and you do so looking ahead into who's going to be an impact player in the next 5+ years not who's going to start at a given position this season.