Quinnen not starting? Why do I care?

43 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

this whole draft slot and SHOULD automatically impact is false.

go back and look at the first rnd for , lets say, 20 years, analyse foirst 10 picks...

and see whcih players has AUTOMATIC high level impact...   in each slot its only a certain percentage...

of course, picking that high should increase your odds...  but theres busts all around...

how do you grade super mario and clowney? me..   plus players, but a C as a #1 pick....

Mario Williams had like 50 sacks on his rookie deal.  What more do you want? 

Given all the heaps of praise this player received from some fans here about his talent, it IS a bit of a surprise he's not good enough (yet) to break into what is not a great D-Line as a starter.
With that said, it's literally day 1 for the kid.  He deserves time.  And we don't have a choice but to give it to him.
Hopefully he sees alot of action, even if not "starting".

Passive aggressive much?

It means literally nothing other than they want the veteran to start. Probably more to do with humility And earning your place among the
Vets. What did it mean when he was carrying McClendon s shoulder pads?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hahahahaha.  Fant will be better?  That is too funny.

Given your "Manziel will be a superstar that the Jets will regret passing on" prediction from JI, you might wanna stop laughing. 

The fact that you think the Jets should have gone TE 3rd overall is the most laughable thing in this ridiculous thread.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I get the reasoning, but its a bit shortsighted and not the way GMs approach top 5 selections. I'm not an expert. But I truly believe you look for the top available talent. Period. And if you don't believe there is ANY talent worth taking that high, you look to trade down. Of course, you need to be smart in what value you take back via trade.

QW was clearly a top 5 talent. I mean, most evaluators agreed he was a unique player and could possibly be a generational talent at DT who could dominate as both a pass rusher and a run stopper a la Aaron Donald. I mean, without getting into the details, that was the gist of it. The Jets had Leo but he was in contract year and Henry Anderson (although re-signed) had nowhere near the potential going forward that QW had. The Jets could very easily end up cutting ties with any one or more of Leo, McLendon and in a couple of years H.Anderson and QW would still only be 23-24 years old.

I get the reasoning, and if I were GM I'd probably do it a little differently,  but the bottom line is you draft the top talent and you do so looking ahead into who's going to be an impact player in the next 5+ years not who's going to start at a given position this season.    

You’re under the assumption that the Jets had a GM the last 4 years, they didn’t.

Maccagnan isn’t really a “scout” either, we now know that he was about to FIRED in Houston from his scouting job.  How a guy gets upped to GM coming off that is the mystery of the century.

He belongs in a basement, with a red stapler...alone.

• Haha 1

in so it begins....

our gm was terrible at drafting players -the pick we should have made(once again yes most fans  sadly do know better than are usual terrible gms) was Josh Allen-Allen will be a sack  machine and what does our defense need in the worst way-a guy that can get to the qb

Allen is going to be a beast while our guy will play in rotations .....

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You’re under the assumption that the Jets had a GM the last 4 years, they didn’t.

Maccagnan isn’t really a “scout” either, we now know that he was about to FIRED in Houston from his scouting job.  How a guy gets upped to GM coming off that is the mystery of the century.

He belongs in a basement, with a red stapler...alone.

No mystery. His buddy - and employer for almost his entire career with the Redskins and Texans - happened to be the consultant Woody hired.

Maybe Casserly got paid fees by both. He knew perfectly well Macc was about to get axed, and was therefore likely facing a demotion with another club, yet it was his recommendation instead that the Jets promote him lol.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Given your "Manziel will be a superstar that the Jets will regret passing on" prediction from JI, you might wanna stop laughing. 

The fact that you think the Jets should have gone TE 3rd overall is the most laughable thing in this ridiculous thread.

Ill say this one last time and im done woth this.  Write it down if you need to.

It was not made aware to me that manziel had a major mental illness and would need to be on lithium for the rest of his life.  

If not for being on lithium 24/7, he would have been gret.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ill say this one last time and im done woth this.  Write it down if you need to.

It was not made aware to me that manziel had a major mental illness and would need to be on lithium for the rest of his life.  

Then you weren't paying attention, are lying, or were blissfully ignorant because all the signs were there that he was a total nutcase who, also, didn't put in the work.

Also, he was a one read, undersized, gimmick QB.  Even with his head on straight the odds were heavily stacked against him.  Beating Alabama one time never changed that.

You can be done with this all you want.   Whenever you get to laughing about things related to the draft or others opinions about players and making these "too bad we didn't do this..." statements like you have some ground to stand on or as if your opinion is some holy gospel, it's gonna be brought up.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Then you weren't paying attention, are lying, or were blissfully ignorant because all the signs were there that he was a total nutcase who, also, didn't put in the work.

Also, he was a one read, undersized, gimmick QB.  Even with his head on straight the odds were heavily stacked against him.  Beating Alabama one time never changed that.

You can be done with this all you want.   Whenever you get to laughing about things related to the draft or others opinions about players and making these "too bad we didn't do this..." statements like you have some ground to stand on or as if your opinion is some holy gospel, it's gonna be brought up.

There were no signs that he would need to take lithium for the rest of his life.  Do you understand how serious that is?

He was known to be a party guy and jackass but no one knew he had a serious mental illness.

Come on dude.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Passive aggressive much? emoji6.png

It means literally nothing other than they want the veteran to start. Probably more to do with humility And earning your place among the

Didn't think I was being passive at all. ?

This guy got a ton of praise during the draft, and "doubters" about drafting another D-Lineman (like myself) were roundly told to shut up, that this kid was an all-time talent, future all-pro, day 1 starter, great, and on and on.  

Now here we are, day 1, and he's a (for now) backup who will ( I presume) play some major snaps as a sub in/rotational player.

And despite being irritated at how (some) JN posters regularly abuse folks who in any way question our draft picks (Polite anyone?  Got abused over that one too...), I'm not calling Q.W. a bust, or sh*tting on the kid, or those who loved him on draft day tbqh......I'm pointing out that judging a kid on day 1 of his pro career is ridiculous, and that we should wait and see how he plays this year.  

I look forward to seeing him play, and I truly hope he can be the player folks say he could.  A disruptive major force in the middle helping to make up for our horrid CB's and edge rushers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I sympathize with anyone dealing with a serious illness, mental or otherwise, but why does it relate to his playing QB in the NFL?  If you thought he could succeed and he couldn't/can't.  Which one keeps him from succeeding? The lithium or the illness?  Cause Manziel sucked.  Why isn't he playing now? He is only 26, but he has sucked for the CFL and Alliance.  sh*t, Jamarcus Russell was still getting workouts in 2013. 

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Passive aggressive much? emoji6.png

Some people understand the way things are done

Its not who starts.  Its snaps and who finishes

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another in the long line that cant say, "I got it wrong"

He sucked.  You loved him.  You were wrong.  Any and every way you look at. 

You either had no clue about his talent level or fell in love with a QB who had "major mental illness and would need to be on lithium for the rest of his life" 

LOL, tell us about the Pats future QB again? 

• Upvote 1

Didn't think I was being passive at all. 
This guy got a ton of praise during the draft, and "doubters" about drafting another D-Lineman (like myself) were roundly told to shut up, that this kid was an all-time talent, future all-pro, day 1 starter, great, and on and on.  
Now here we are, day 1, and he's a (for now) backup who will ( I presume) play some major snaps as a sub in/rotational player.
And despite being irritated at how (some) JN posters regularly abuse folks who in any way question our draft picks (Polite anyone?  Got abused over that one too...), I'm not calling Q.W. a bust, or sh*tting on the kid, or those who loved him on draft day tbqh......I'm pointing out that judging a kid on day 1 of his pro career is ridiculous, and that we should wait and see how he plays this year.  
I look forward to seeing him play, and I truly hope he can be the player folks say he could.  A disruptive major force in the middle helping to make up for our horrid CB's and edge rushers.

lol
Aggressive aggressive I suppose then.

I hear ya. I didn’t want him and not because o don’t think he’ll be great. That’s a whole can that needs not be opened again.

What I’ll say is that you should take these shots back across toward those of who me you speak cuz this kid is going to play and play a lot. It just so happens McClendon is a defensive captain. It’s good for Q to play second fiddle to him for a while and learn the ropes. Probably better for his overall development anyway.

I’m interested to see what the snap count ends up being game 1.

• Haha 1